HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 3:25 PM

Brockton, MA ~ City of Champions

Brockton, MA, population 93,810, Plymouth County Seat, Settled 1700 & incorporated in 1821. Around 20 miles south of Boston. Served by MBTA's commuter rail to South Station.

Famed boxer, Rocky Marciano, is from Brockton. One reason Brockton is called the city of champions.

This thread is not a comprehensive tour of Brockton. Just a small collection of pictures I took while on a short visit. This was my first visit to Brockton & I know little about the city.

3. Stunning city hall:

5. Unfortunately, too much of downtown Brockton looks like this. Great, but underused buildings:

6. [
IMG]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6116/6209122953_aec0db31aa_b.jpg[/IMG]

7. I don't know what this is about. Tornado, neglect, or just in the middle of something?

8. It seems that every city, town, or village in New England has a big white church like this.

13. It was 10:00AM when I took this picture.

14. The commuter rail (& perhaps other trains) goes through Brockton over a series of these beautiful bridges. Note the beautiful city hall building in the background.

15. Another of the stone rail bridges. And a BAT bus! I love the signs saying "Dial-A-BAT". A good reminder to call mom (sorry mom).

16. I have a weakness for faded paint.

17. Beautiful Episcopal church which is closing as I understand:

18. Georgeous downtown Catholic church. The fantastic building to the right was originally built as a residence, but now is a funeral home.

19. This building is to the left of the Catholic church. I think it may be a rectory or somehow related to the church.

20. There were big photographs pasted to buildings all over town with no explanation. Or I didn't see the explanation.

21. I love this shop. It added some much needed color & life to downtown

26. This church is called St. Edith Stein. A saint I have never heard of prompted me to research. She was a Jewish girl that became a nun. She was offered an opportunity by her convent to be smuggled to safety from the Nazi's, but she chose to return to her people. She was killed in a concentration camp along with her sister Rose. This is the back of the church. I wanted a picture of the better looking front, but chose not to because there was a large gathering of children in front of the church & i didn't want to intrude.

27. I didn't get a lot of pics of residential Brockton. There were many blocks of streets like this one. Triple-deckers, large houses converted to apartments, Victorians, cottages, etc. Some areas were tidy and some were not.

28. This house will represent the areas of middle-class bungalows & Victorians found in some areas.

29. Beyond a posh country club with a vast well-tended golf course, was a section of very nice homes & some fine mansions. The following house really caught my eye. Especially when I realized that is listed for only $469,000. It is described as a Baushaus inspired house overlooking it's own 1.75 acre lake. I think this house would be a million or more in most places:

33. More in the posh district:

31. The following building is an amazing landmark. Made even more striking by it's neglected condition. It is located on a high, visible location that cannot be missed as you enter Brockton. It is surrounded by what I believe is fair grounds. The fair grounds are well tended, making this building stand out even more.

38. Don't even think about stealing a newspaper! And I thought nobody read newspapers anymore

Thanks for looking!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 4:36 PM
Universal Traveler

Smile

Thanks again for this new thread and pictures, Expat!

Nice pictures for a nice town. I´ve liked to see your pictures and read your comments. Those churches and the city hall are amazing

Congratulations and greetings from MAD, Spain!

Old Posted Oct 14, 2011, 9:33 PM

Very nice buildings in Brockton... I agree that the city hall is stunning. Thanks for another set

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 12:00 AM

Heres Hoping

That you do a Dedham, Norwood, South Norwood, East Walpole thread..... Or a Roslindale, Hyde Park thread.... Just sayin...

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcamb View Post
That you do a Dedham, Norwood, South Norwood, East Walpole thread..... Or a Roslindale, Hyde Park thread.... Just sayin...
I hope to! I tend to do northern areas most because it is convenient for me. I did Brockton because I was in the area anyway. But, eventually, I hope to do them all!

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 2:17 AM

This is great Ex-Pat. I've wanted to see Brockton for a bit. It's funny how I've not heard one good thing about this town though. Looks nice enough.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 5:00 AM

Good pictures. Brockton looks like a nice city. It kind of reminds me of some of the urban centers outside of New York City, like Elizabeth NJ.

St. Edith Stein is one of the interesting saints to come out of World War II. Another one that is interesting is St. Maximilian Kolbe, who was a priest that was in a concentration camp and was selected for the "1 in 10" shootings, where they picked 10 people at random and shot one in the head for fun, or something like that. Anyway, Maximilian was chosen in the group but another guy was picked to die, but knowing that the guy had a wife and kids in the camp, he offered his life to let the dad go.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 9:24 AM

Love 31 the way it is....Im finding it hard to keep up
with all your threads...so many excellent ones.Makes me wanna
do one myself..keep up the good work.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 1:53 PM

@Texfiles, I have heard nothing good of Brockton either. I was saddened by the level of neglect, especially downtown. Because I intentionally looked for interesting buildings, etc., this thread doesn't show how depressed Brockton really is. For instance, you are not seeing the empty lots and empty shops.

@xzmattzx - Thx for the info about St. M-K. That sort of thing interests me.

Toyota - Sorry I have posted so many threads at once! I have been taking advantage of the nice weather, which I know may be fleeting.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 7:43 PM

may the good weather last.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2011, 7:49 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1999

Loads of potential there.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos