HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodgrowth View Post
That's the one, thanks!

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 1:02 PM

Council Moves Forward With Six-Storey Churchill Square Structure

Looks like this development is moving ahead, although there are some concerns over design.

VOCM News
April 16, 2019

Quote:
A new 6-storey development in Churchill Square in St. John’s is moving to the public meetings stage.

The question at last night’s city council meeting was to decide whether or not to use a new building design for the proposed development in Churchill Square for the public meetings.

http://vocm.com/news/council-moves-f...are-structure/

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 3:52 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
Looks like this development is moving ahead, although there are some concerns over design.

VOCM News
April 16, 2019

http://vocm.com/news/council-moves-f...are-structure/
The Churchill Sq. project is good in terms of size and scale, but looks a bit too much like a parking garage; the balcony lines need to be broken up a bit to avoid this.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
The Churchill Sq. project is good in terms of size and scale, but looks a bit too much like a parking garage; the balcony lines need to be broken up a bit to avoid this.
Agree. Not attractive in the least.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2019, 2:57 PM

Here is an interesting article from the Telegram regarding the "red tape" holding up progress in Quidi Vidi. It points to the fact that despite what the City says it still hasn't updated/amended it processes to deal with such situations.

https://www.thetelegram.com/business...roject-329860/

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 12:38 PM

From today's City of St. John's council agenda:

6.2 5 Navigator Avenue (Airport Zone - Ward 1)
A Discretionary Use application has been submitted by MP Partnership
Limited requesting approval to construct and operate an Eating
Establishment with a drive-thru at 5 Navigator Avenue.
The drive thru will service a restaurant with a floor area of 186m2, and
will operate Monday - Sunday, 3 a.m. – 11 p.m. On-site parking is
provided. This application is advertised in accordance with Section 7.30
“Drive-Thru Facilities” of the St. John’s Development Regulations. (No
submissions received)

Thoughts on what franchise this might be? TIA.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 2:32 PM

It could honestly be anything (except a Tim Hortons). Neither McDonalds or Wendy's have shows any interest in further expansion in the city so it's likely neither of them, though literally anything else could be it.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBo View Post

submissions received)

I heard a rumour from a couple of different sources of what it is, but apparently we can only post here if we have a reliable source and can prove that it is 100% true??? Given these parameters I feel compelled to keep this info I have to myself. I will let you know if I see something in the media, then we will know it is true.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2019, 9:35 PM

That’s the Hoilday Inn Express address. They had an original proposal for a stand-alone Piatto restaurant and offices for the Penney group who own the hotel but Piatto has pulled out of that proposal. They started clearing land last year on the Portugal Cove Road side of the Hotel. No activity thus far this year on the site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenBo View Post

submissions received)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:31 AM

I seen a "coming soon" sign on an empty lot on Torbay Road midway between Cahill Fabrication (Metal World) and Jack Byrne for Robins/Pizza 241. News...yes. Exciting.....no.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
I heard a rumour from a couple of different sources of what it is, but apparently we can only post here if we have a reliable source and can prove that it is 100% true??? Given these parameters I feel compelled to keep this info I have to myself. I will let you know if I see something in the media, then we will know it is true.

It's just a blog b'y, not the inquisition. Rumours are what get us all talking on this thing. Don't mind some people on here who take things too serious. Mind you, I do agree people shouldn't spread rumours about businesses closing or in trouble if it's not confirmed. There is certainly nothing wrong with a rumour about a business that may be opening. Over the years, most of the rumours on here have turned out to be true. (Still no H&M or Olive Garden though, LOL)

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
It's just a blog b'y, not the inquisition. Rumours are what get us all talking on this thing. Don't mind some people on here who take things too serious. Mind you, I do agree people shouldn't spread rumours about businesses closing or in trouble if it's not confirmed. There is certainly nothing wrong with a rumour about a business that may be opening. Over the years, most of the rumours on here have turned out to be true. (Still no H&M or Olive Garden though, LOL)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=203281

Have at it, you snarky creatures

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
I see no issues with posting about what you heard, we're generally a fun and easy going crowd.

I post what I hear from word of mouth... god knows I've been wrong quite a few times too! I try to say explicitly if it was a rumor/word of mouth. I understand too that some people may have inside information that cannot be leaked but post here under anonymity.

You can't please everyone. Don't let that deter you from posting here. This site will end up dying. Let us know what you heard... I'm a bit nosey LOL

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by statbass View Post
I see no issues with posting about what you heard, we're generally a fun and easy going crowd.

I post what I hear from word of mouth... god knows I've been wrong quite a few times too! I try to say explicitly if it was a rumor/word of mouth. I understand too that some people may have inside information that cannot be leaked but post here under anonymity.

You can't please everyone. Don't let that deter you from posting here. This site will end up dying. Let us know what you heard... I'm a bit nosey LOL
AGREE.

As for the development rumours page....you can see how interesting that is when you see the last post was 17 months ago LOL

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 12:38 PM

A lot of what does get posted should belong in the Development Rumors thread, but doesn't get posted there. There is very little (or more like no) moderation here, so nothing will ever get moved. You can get salty at me for suggesting that development rumors get posted to the development rumors thread, or you can post there and bring it back to life. The choice is yours.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
A lot of what does get posted should belong in the Development Rumors thread, but doesn't get posted there. There is very little (or more like no) moderation here, so nothing will ever get moved. You can get salty at me for suggesting that development rumors get posted to the development rumors thread, or you can post there and bring it back to life. The choice is yours.
I do agree with you, Marty. It would be nice to post in the appropriate thread; however, without active moderation it becomes difficult to organize it. I've posted a few times in threads where it should have been posted elsewhere... we're all guilty of it. Even though there is an attempt to break the threads into themes, overlap does exist. Although, the irony here is if rumors were posted in the rumor thread the last post wouldn't be 17 months old.

At the end of the day I'd rather see a post in any thread rather than no posts at all. Maybe us old timers can politely remind people of the other threads to keep them active and relevant. I'll try my best to get back on track

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 1:21 PM

Quote:
I seen a "coming soon" sign on an empty lot on Torbay Road midway between Cahill Fabrication (Metal World) and Jack Byrne for Robins/Pizza 241. News...yes. Exciting.....no.
The sign has been there for awhile now. The NorthEast Avalon Times reported that it had been approved over a year ago and so far there's been some moving of dirt but that's it. I did hear that people living on Pulpit Rock Rd had concerns about traffic.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 2:56 PM

The fact that this site is not moderated (or policed as I like to call it) is why I like it. I've been on sites before that, once they became moderated, they became unpopular. The moderator decides who's comments appear based on what he/she prefers. It becomes a filtered site. Comments can be tailored to favour a certain viewpoint. Freedom fades. That's my opinion anyway.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2019, 3:20 PM

Quote:
The fact that this site is not moderated (or policed as I like to call it) is why I like it. I've been on sites before that, once they became moderated, they became unpopular. The moderator decides who's comments appear based on what he/she prefers. It becomes a filtered site. Comments can be tailored to favour a certain viewpoint. Freedom fades. That's my opinion anyway.
The moderation on SSP isn't used to screen posts or toss out opinions they don't agree with. All posts are published immediately without verification. Posts are only deleted if they are considered abusive and/or extremely inappropriate. That isn't something we see over here in our sub-forum and is much more common in places like Skybar or the Canada sub-forum with many more posters who tend to butt heads over the littlest things. Moderators do often move posts or dozens of posts to more appropriate threads if conversations tend to skew a bit off-topic (once again something that happens a lot on the Canada sub-furm).

A little moderation clean-up would be welcomed. It helps keep posts in relevant threads and helps keep things in general very clean and easy to find. When things start going askew then finding what you're looking for can become a bit more of a challenge. I know there is some overlap on threads on here, and that goes all the way back before we had our own sub-forum where we just endlessly spammed threads in the Atlantic Canada sub-forum hoping the Admins would give us our own space.

Large, high-rise developments usually get their own threads (we are, after all, on a sky scraper enthusiast forum), and we've broken down smaller developments into an east and west end thread. The official St. John's thread is a legacy thread left over from before we had our sub-forum that was a catch all, and it still often acts as such. If we keep east end developments in the east end thread, west end in the west, and rumored developments in development rumors, then everything is easier to find, plus there's no confusion if you post "I heard that X might be opening a store in Stavanger Drive" in the rumors thread as opposed to the east end thread, which among all other confirmed and under construction developments may become confused down the line as "when exactly is X opening??".

That's my two cents. Dassit.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2019, 2:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
The moderation on SSP isn't used to screen posts or toss out opinions they don't agree with. All posts are published immediately without verification. Posts are only deleted if they are considered abusive and/or extremely inappropriate. That isn't something we see over here in our sub-forum and is much more common in places like Skybar or the Canada sub-forum with many more posters who tend to butt heads over the littlest things. Moderators do often move posts or dozens of posts to more appropriate threads if conversations tend to skew a bit off-topic (once again something that happens a lot on the Canada sub-furm).

A little moderation clean-up would be welcomed. It helps keep posts in relevant threads and helps keep things in general very clean and easy to find. When things start going askew then finding what you're looking for can become a bit more of a challenge. I know there is some overlap on threads on here, and that goes all the way back before we had our own sub-forum where we just endlessly spammed threads in the Atlantic Canada sub-forum hoping the Admins would give us our own space.

Large, high-rise developments usually get their own threads (we are, after all, on a sky scraper enthusiast forum), and we've broken down smaller developments into an east and west end thread. The official St. John's thread is a legacy thread left over from before we had our sub-forum that was a catch all, and it still often acts as such. If we keep east end developments in the east end thread, west end in the west, and rumored developments in development rumors, then everything is easier to find, plus there's no confusion if you post "I heard that X might be opening a store in Stavanger Drive" in the rumors thread as opposed to the east end thread, which among all other confirmed and under construction developments may become confused down the line as "when exactly is X opening??".

That's my two cents. Dassit.
I love this forum and the open discussion. I have been reading if for a few years now and recently began posting in order to participate more. It's great to get the 'inside scoop' on developments in the city/metro region!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's