HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Wow. It does appear that Macayo's will once again lose its Midtown site. The chain recently sold all but that location and the Depot Cantina in Tempe to new owners, so I wonder if they're going to relocate once again, maybe to the ground floor retail in this location, or if this is just another step towards fading away completely.

The bank building has some interesting mid-century features, although probably not enough to qualify for historic preservation. The extraordinarily average FedEx building next door appears unaffected, though.
It does make you wish someone could magically swap the Savings & Loan building with the FedEx building and save the prettier building. Not notable or historical enough to save, but definitely an attractive building. In the full rezoning packet (https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...f%20Report.pdf) I did notice in the western building elevation for the apartments that will face Central there are some columns that mimic the mid-century columns on the Savings & Loan building, which is a nice touch:

Would be nice if that meant Macayo's was going to occupy the restaurant space, but I don't see anything (in the packet at least) that says one way or another whether that will be the case.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 8:06 PM

^ ORB Architects - the undisputed kings of monotony.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 9:10 PM
Modulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil View Post
^ ORB Architects - the undisputed kings of monotony.
I actually like it as compared to some of the other 4/5 floor residential developments going up in the vicinity. They have staggered heights on this one. I can't stand it when the entire block is all the same height.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
I actually like it as compared to some of the other 4/5 floor residential developments going up in the vicinity. They have staggered heights on this one. I can't stand it when the entire block is all the same height.
My point was that they're the go-to architect for large apartment projects in Metro PHX & they pretty much do the same thing every time. Budget etc. obviously plays into this, but I think they should try to be more creative with their designs.

Last edited by ASUSunDevil; Mar 4, 2019 at 10:53 PM.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 4:03 PM
Modulator

The Howie/Central Containers

Here's what we're getting with "the Howie" container project next to the upside-down Pyramid on Central. Looks like 1 level of office and 3 levels of residential. Not generally excited for this project since there have been towers proposed on this lot. But it's getting filled and that's good.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieFoos View Post
Here's what we're getting with "the Howie" container project next to the upside-down Pyramid on Central. Looks like 1 level of office and 3 levels of residential. Not generally excited for this project since there have been towers proposed on this lot. But it's getting filled and that's good.
And filled with a very disposable project, if anyone ever wanted to do something better there. Agree, I'm not going to be at the groundbreaking, but it's better than dirt.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 8:08 PM
Modulator

Took a lunch stroll to Park Central. As promised by the construction crew, the main walkway entrance is now open and very nice to walk under. My only gripe is there is not enough shade that will help with the summer heat. I'm hoping they plan to plant some shade trees on the South-side of the entrance (there seems to be plenty of room between that and the parking lot), but I don't think they will.

All-in-all, the remodel is a big win in my book. Hopefully, they can fill it up with tenants. Oh, there's also a sign up for a variance request for a 52' setback for the Creighton school development. I foresee issues with that similar to what held up the AC Hotel...52' seems a bit much.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 12:56 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
And filled with a very disposable project, if anyone ever wanted to do something better there. Agree, I'm not going to be at the groundbreaking, but it's better than dirt.
I would take dirt. Containers and surface parking on Central is embarrassing. With Creighton down the street jumpstarting Midtown it probably wouldn't be past the next cycle to raze most of that block for something better.

For reference, Cambria is on a similar sized lot. This is just cheap no matter how you want to look at it.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 7:11 AM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
According to PBJ:
"Under the deal, Kind will take over six Macayo’s restaurants in west Phoenix, Ahwatukee, Glendale, Goodyear, Mesa and Surprise. The Johnson family, which sold Macayo’s, will maintain control of the flagship Woody’s Macayo on Central Avenue in Phoenix and the Depot Cantina in Tempe."

Strange...
When the zoning case was at the VPC, we were told that the Johnsons we're getting out of the restaurant business.

Last edited by pbenjamin; Mar 6, 2019 at 8:19 PM.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 1:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
I would take dirt. Containers and surface parking on Central is embarrassing. With Creighton down the street jumpstarting Midtown it probably wouldn't be past the next cycle to raze most of that block for something better.

For reference, Cambria is on a similar sized lot. This is just cheap no matter how you want to look at it.
Agreed. This is embarrassing for our "Champs Elysees"

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 4:01 PM
Modulator

Quote:

I don't like container projects all that much, but I wouldn't take dirt over it. That lot is an eyesore and random cars are parked in the lot at all angles throughout the day making it look like a junkyard sometimes. I just hope the container project isn't there for 10 years or more. It would be nice if it was just a temporary development until something taller/denser comes along in a few years. But since this is a new trend, I don't know what the life expectancy of these container projects are going to be.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 6:35 PM

Preliminary plan review documents filed for three 4-story buildings at 402 W. Lincoln for more "Alta" apartments--this one would be "Alta Warehouse."

It's a bold move going forward with something on the south side of the tracks, but I would love it if they are successful. Would love to see downtown development start creeping south--there is a nice grid that direction and lots of vacant land.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Preliminary plan review documents filed for three 4-story buildings at 402 W. Lincoln for more "Alta" apartments--this one would be "Alta Warehouse."

It's a bold move going forward with something on the south side of the tracks, but I would love it if they are successful. Would love to see downtown development start creeping south--there is a nice grid that direction and lots of vacant land.
Whoa... that's not even south of the tracks, that's south and west of downtown. Huge gamble here... I don't know how quickly that area will come around, but it would be amazing if this happened. Only helps warehouse district.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 7:39 PM
Skyriser

402 W Lincoln is an enormous stretch of dirt way beyond the parcel number . I would be very, very curious to see what a three building project looks like there considering how large these projects can get. I called CCBG and didn't leave voicemail.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 8:17 PM

Quote:
402 W Lincoln is an enormous stretch of dirt way beyond the parcel number . I would be very, very curious to see what a three building project looks like there considering how large these projects can get. I called CCBG and didn't leave voicemail.
Getting a little ahead of myself, but I'm interested too in what the arrangements are with BNSF. I'd be surprised if BNSF was willing to sell the land. But it seems like it'd be complicated to build pursuant to some kind of long-term lease.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Getting a little ahead of myself, but I'm interested too in what the arrangements are with BNSF. I'd be surprised if BNSF was willing to sell the land. But it seems like it'd be complicated to build pursuant to some kind of long-term lease.
And then going ahead a little bit further, I wonder if this project is successful and leads to other multi-family residential, would Sprint sell the old Union Station to a developer to bring it back to its glory

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASU Diablo View Post
And then going ahead a little bit further, I wonder if this project is successful and leads to other multi-family residential, would Sprint sell the old Union Station to a developer to bring it back to its glory
Now you're thinking!!!

Old Posted Mar 6, 2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 View Post
Now you're thinking!!!
This would be Jjs' wet dream

Last edited by ASU Diablo; Mar 6, 2019 at 10:37 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2019, 9:02 PM
Modulator

A couple of new permits issued for "the Howie" and they are currently soil sampling on the lot. I would expect this to start not too far down the road. Would like to see a full rendering on this. Hopefully one is released soon.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2019, 8:34 PM
Modulator

Broadstone Roosevelt Sells for $84.2 Mil

I didn't know Broadstone was 94.9% occupied. Shows how strong the Downtown rental market is. I'd probably expect a name change...

https://www.multihousingnews.com/pos...asset-for-84m/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest