HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 3:41 AM

Does anyone know if the redevelopment of the Nicholas/417 interchange that is currently under construction is going to incorporate or allow for an extension of Nicholas to Hurdman across a new bridge?

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Does anyone know if the redevelopment of the Nicholas/417 interchange that is currently under construction is going to incorporate or allow for an extension of Nicholas to Hurdman across a new bridge?
Don't think so, never heard of a new bridge.
RECOMMENDED PLAN - FINAL CONFIGURATION

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
Imagine the Canadian Tire Centre at Hurdman ...
My preference is still Lebreton but I think Hurdman is definitely the second best option.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-OTT View Post
My preference is still Lebreton but I think Hurdman is definitely the second best option.
Same. Walking distance both downtown Ottawa and Hull, representing over 120,000 jobs, high and medium density residential on both sides, so probably around 100,000 residents, served by transit stations and two transit lines.

Hurdman would be a good consultation prize.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2019, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Same. Walking distance both downtown Ottawa and Hull, representing over 120,000 jobs, high and medium density residential on both sides, so probably around 100,000 residents, served by transit stations and two transit lines.

Hurdman would be a good consultation prize.
Yep, not as good, but it has great transit connectivity, good development potential and is about as central as you can get.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltodesukane View Post
Don't think so, never heard of a new bridge.
So I guess we can throw this 2014 plan out the window. The whole thing was based on extending Nicholas across to Hurdman.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
So I guess we can throw this 2014 plan out the window. The whole thing was based on extending Nicholas across to Hurdman.
I don't think it prevents the bridge from being built in the future. The Hospital Link Road was built which is the first part to eventually building that bridge across the river, but it's obviously being phased.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2019, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCheetos View Post
I don't think it prevents the bridge from being built in the future. The Hospital Link Road was built which is the first part to eventually building that bridge across the river, but it's obviously being phased.
I suppose not but if it's not being set up in the current interchange revamp then i'm sure it's many many years away. I would love to see Hurdman developed in my lifetime with Nicholas running straight across into it alongside the LRT. It would be a natural extension of downtown. An amazing place for the Sens to play in my opinion, as good as Lebreton.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2019, 2:08 PM

Quote:
I suppose not but if it's not being set up in the current interchange revamp then i'm sure it's many many years away. I would love to see Hurdman developed in my lifetime with Nicholas running straight across into it alongside the LRT. It would be a natural extension of downtown. An amazing place for the Sens to play in my opinion, as good as Lebreton.
The Altavista NIMBY's would have a complete mental breakdown if the bridge over the Rideau River was built without consultation.

The new 417 bridge still aligns with the ROW/'Park' between the apartment buildings, and with the hospital link, so it's still a go for death-by-a-thousand-cuts in the future (to get the 'highway' built between walkley and downtown)

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Haven't seen this posted anywhere but here is the cities official Transit Oriented Development plan for Hurdman (as well as Lees, Tremblay, St. Laurent, Cyrville and Blair) from 2014. Based on these exciting renders, it looks like Hurdman, could potentially be the next big development hub in Ottawa. It's comparable in size to Lebreton Flats and also has strong transit connectivity.

https://documents.ottawa.ca/sites/do...an_main_en.pdf

That's not very far removed from 1960s Towers-In-A-Park garbage.

Why are we planning for more suburban crap - tall suburban crap, to be sure, but suburban crap nonetheless - at our supposed urban transit system's nodes?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTownandDown View Post
The Altavista NIMBY's would have a complete mental breakdown if the bridge over the Rideau River was built without consultation.

The new 417 bridge still aligns with the ROW/'Park' between the apartment buildings, and with the hospital link, so it's still a go for death-by-a-thousand-cuts in the future (to get the 'highway' built between walkley and downtown)
I thought people in Alta Vista mostly supported the parkway as a way to have less traffic on Alta Vista Dr?

The people who should really be upset about the Nicholas-AVP connection are the folks around Lees Ave., since, as you say, this extension is going to build over what little green space they have.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
That's not very far removed from 1960s Towers-In-A-Park garbage.

Why are we planning for more suburban crap - tall suburban crap, to be sure, but suburban crap nonetheless - at our supposed urban transit system's nodes?
Its not core-level density but its clearly higher than 'suburban crap' levels of density. Currently there is 0 residential and 0 employment at this location so its not like thats suddenly going to jump to core levels of density in one phase.

Density has to be build gradually and building tall allows that to happen without using up all of the available land prematurely.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Its not core-level density but its clearly higher than 'suburban crap' levels of density. Currently there is 0 residential and 0 employment at this location so its not like thats suddenly going to jump to core levels of density in one phase.

Density has to be build gradually and building tall allows that to happen without using up all of the available land prematurely.
The density is not the issue, its the street layout and typology. The Hurdman plan is not very urban by any standard other than density. Also, why is nothing oriented towards Lycee Claudel station? Its a poorly thought out plan.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:48 PM

Quote:
I still think the development can begin without the Nicholas bridge. Taking Riverside to the 417 and then to Nicholas is not that inconvenient of a temporary detour. Car traffic would also probably be relatively low here since it is a major transit hub.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi-modal View Post
The density is not the issue, its the street layout and typology. The Hurdman plan is not very urban by any standard other than density. Also, why is nothing oriented towards Lycee Claudel station? Its a poorly thought out plan.
Fair enough. But in the plans defense, the transitway and confederation line make the street layout difficult here.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. But in the plans defense, the transitway and confederation line make the street layout difficult here.
Agreed. And to be honest I think much of the plan would come down to the individual site plans of the towers and developments. The copy-paste renderings do the planning no favors.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Its not core-level density but its clearly higher than 'suburban crap' levels of density.
It's not the density. It's the street "grid", if you can call it one, even, the setbacks, the complete lack of any sense of integration or cohesiveness. It's buildings strung out along roads. It's just taller sprawl thought up by people whose idea of urbanity is suburban and 1970s.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 4:44 AM

Quote:
There is nothing about the transitway and confederation line forcing the designers to use suburban street morphology.

That's a choice. As always in Ottawa, when faced with a choice between urban and garbage, Ottawa will go for garbage.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 9:53 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I still think the development can begin without the Nicholas bridge. Taking Riverside to the 417 and then to Nicholas is not that inconvenient of a temporary detour. Car traffic would also probably be relatively low here since it is a major transit hub.
Traffic can already be quite bad in that area. It can probably absorb some more new residents given the transit as you say, but a massive, full development will require that bridge.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2019, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Traffic can already be quite bad in that area. It can probably absorb some more new residents given the transit as you say, but a massive, full development will require that bridge.
Agreed, count me as a NIMBY if the Nicholas bridge isn't built, but this 5000pp suburb is built. The vanier parkway/riverside/industrial intersection is a disaster from 5am - 10pm each day. Add another layer in there and forget about driving through this area.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues