HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
So what we are saying is that this bike-friendly infrastructure is an attack on motorists who never use the street? I'm confused.

Sounds like we are moving into Catch-22 territory...
There is no infrastructure - just some traffic cones and some "stay away"-type signage. Are you "local traffic" if you are visiting a business? With no commuter traffic on these streets I am also confused as to what this intends to accomplish. To me it just seems like general unfriendliness to those that do not live there.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 3:55 PM
Just 183 km north of...

The back-in angle parking along Kaye Street (the grassy median side) across from Starbucks is now in place. This form of parking will allow many more motorists to visit the Hydrostone Market area and find a place to park. The local merchants must be pleased and feel somewhat more supported by their local government.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2020, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen_Bane View Post
The back-in angle parking along Kaye Street (the grassy median side) across from Starbucks is now in place. This form of parking will allow many more motorists to visit the Hydrostone Market area and find a place to park.
Yes, I agree. This is long overdue. I am slightly surprised it is not restricted just to bicycles, but whatever.

Quote:
The local merchants must be pleased and feel somewhat more supported by their local government.
A rare occurance in this burg, where Council and staff seem to be trying to put merchants out of business most of the time.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2020, 10:53 PM

Here's the improvements at Young & Isleville. Hopefully a more permanent solution in a year or two will convert a lot of the marked off areas into green space. In the meantime it is a nice addition. Anecdotally traffic seems quieter on Isleville (tbd when summer vacations are over), and breaking the bike crossing into two segments makes crossing safer.

Photo by David Jackson

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
Anecdotally traffic seems quieter on Isleville (tbd when summer vacations are over)
That's what tends to happen when you block access to streets.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 12:05 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I find the signage in the photo above confusing. It almost appears as if there is no vehicular access to Isleville at all (although the intent is for local traffic only). The signage and barriers also are not very visually appealing.

The tyranny of the bicycle against the car continues to rage along in Halifax at full gallop.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I find the signage in the photo above confusing. It almost appears as if there is no vehicular access to Isleville at all (although the intent is for local traffic only). The signage and barriers also are not very visually appealing.

The tyranny of the bicycle against the car continues to rage along in Halifax at full gallop.
There isn't any vehicular access; you have to go around the block, which is fine. We think nothing of asking people on foot and on bikes to make longer and more physically arduous detours around construction zones, or wend through indirect bicycle networks on disconnected side streets. Why is it such a big deal to divert a car driver around a block?

This intersection has long been full of drivers stomping the accelerator through at 50km, despite that the neighbourhood is largely navigated on foot, and absolutely full of kids on foot and on bikes. I don't really see how a few modest changes to divert (not prevent) car access to a streets is "tyranny of the bicycle" when 95% of road space is still dominated by motorized vehicles.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
Why is it such a big deal to divert a car driver around a block?
CLIMATE CHANGE!!! Omigod we are all gonna die it's unsustainable save the whales from the evils of plastic bags etc etc etc ad nauseum.

Quote:
This intersection has long been full of drivers stomping the accelerator through at 50km, despite that the neighbourhood is largely navigated on foot, and absolutely full of kids on foot and on bikes. I don't really see how a few modest changes to divert (not prevent) car access to a streets is "tyranny of the bicycle" when 95% of road space is still dominated by motorized vehicles.
The supposed speeding is largely a figment of your imagination. You cannot do that on this street. Too narrow, too many parked cars, too many stop signs. Sorry, it just is not so.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 1:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
CLIMATE CHANGE!!! Omigod we are all gonna die it's unsustainable save the whales from the evils of plastic bags etc etc etc ad nauseum.

The supposed speeding is largely a figment of your imagination. You cannot do that on this street. Too narrow, too many parked cars, too many stop signs. Sorry, it just is not so.
Can we try to engage in this in good faith?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 2:24 AM

Quote:
uThe supposed speeding is largely a figment of your imagination. You cannot do that on this street. Too narrow, too many parked cars, too many stop signs. Sorry, it just is not so.
You can absolutely drive too fast here, and it’s because on the east side of Isleville, Young is narrow, full of parked cars, etc. But on the west side it’s wide open, just the bare facade of the brewery to the south, and people are forever zooming westbound to pick up speed, or failing to slow down quickly enough heading eastbound. It’s real, and it’s dangerous.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 2:50 AM

Not sure how drivers will survive the "tyranny" of being made to drive the extra ~8 seconds to the arterial streets that parallel Isleville literally one block over in either direction (both of which are completely devoid of bicycle infrastructure).

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.graham View Post
Can we try to engage in this in good faith?
Sorry, but when something gets posted that simply does not ring true it needs to be noted.

I also note the very real double standard where it is perfectly OK to inconvenience or otherwise make a motorist take an unnecessary detour, but god forbid we not provide one of the handful of cyclists with a direct, protected, downhill route to wherever they want to go.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 11:16 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Sorry, but when something gets posted that simply does not ring true it needs to be noted.

I also note the very real double standard where it is perfectly OK to inconvenience or otherwise make a motorist take an unnecessary detour, but god forbid we not provide one of the handful of cyclists with a direct, protected, downhill route to wherever they want to go.
Cars are still viewed as the default on 99% of roads in Halifax. Of course any concession to anybody else is going to feel like an inconvenience.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 11:27 AM

Like them or not, the new barriers are doing what they are intended to do. Or at least they did with me.

Usually I bike my daughter to her mom’s house by going along Isleville. When I do drive her I typically still use Isleville (gonna blame my brain being on autopilot). However, this week I started to drive down Isleville before remembering I wouldn’t be able to turn left onto Kaye. I ended up diverting to Agricola.

One thing the new installation does need is an "Except Bicycles” sign underneath the “No Left Turns” signs on Young. As it’s currently signed I would say it’s technically illegal for a bicycle to turn left from Young onto Isleville, which I’m sure isn’t the intention.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
It’s a lot less inconvenient for a car driver to go out of their way than it is for a cyclist.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
It’s a lot less inconvenient for a car driver to go out of their way than it is for a cyclist.
Exactly. Not to mentioned that a car driver is sitting in a cushy chair in a climate-controlled environment equipped with a personal entertainment system. They can go around the block, and I say that as a driver who navigates this area in a car often.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2020, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
But that is because they chose to use an antiquated transportation device dating mostly unchanged from the Victorian era.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 5:21 AM

Quote:
But that is because they chose to use an antiquated transportation device dating mostly unchanged from the Victorian era.
Cyclists aren't riding around town on penny-farthings, Keith.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 7:04 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

A shot of the bike lane by Queen's Marque:

Source

Old Posted Aug 8, 2020, 10:57 AM

Wow, look at the the cyclists using it! Wait, what?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Transportation & Infrastructure