HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 5:05 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Extensive cutting by NCC in protected area of Mud Lake called 'carnage'

Tom Spears, Ottawa Citizen
Published on: April 26, 2018 | Last Updated: April 26, 2018 2:28 PM EDT

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Residents near Mud Lake, one of Ottawa’s protected natural areas, have been shocked by the National Capital Commission’s decision to cut down the trees and shrubs growing beside a narrow forest path.

Residents thought the NCC was just taking out a few diseased trees over the winter in the area, formally known as the Britannia Conservation Area.

Then the snow melted, and people started walking through the woods again. Where they used to have branches brushing against their arms as they walked, there’s now room to drive a good-sized truck, and sometimes two side by side.

One section of the widened path measures 18 metres wide.

“It is carnage,” says Annie Boucher, president of the Lincoln Heights Community Association and a regular walker in the site. “It looks like they were clearing for a road.”

“It used to be a place where humans could sneak up on nature and peek through the trees,” said Herb Weber, who lives nearby. “Now there is nothing to look at except wood chips.” He calls it “a clearcut.”

And the crews have left behind all the chipped-up wood, in effect spreading a layer of coarse mulch that will suppress new growth.

The woods surrounding Mud Lake are a swamp forest and a wetland that is designated as provincially significant. They are also a designated Area of Natural and Scientific Interest in Ottawa — on the same ecological level as Mer Bleue, the Burnt Lands, Stony Swamp and Shirleys Bay. And the NCC has designated the area as being of national significance.

“What we had there before was bush on both sides (of the path) and three to four feet between it and that’s it,” Weber said Thursday.

“So the official story is that they cut down ash trees (because of) the ash borer. But they have cut down everything. It’s clearcut.

“And you could say, OK, something is going to grow back in. But what they left is a thick carpet of chipping residue and nothing is going to grow there. This is big chips and it is a deep pile.

“This is absolute nonsense … It is supposed to be a conservation area. It is supposed to be nature doing its thing.”

He estimates the length of the cut area at 600 to 700 metres. The NCC says it is 250 metres.

The federal agency said it had to do the cutting for the sake of safety, as ash trees are dying and may fall on someone.

“We did cut down about 200 trees in a 250-metre length. Those were ash trees” that were dead or dying, said spokeswoman Dominique LeBlanc.

“For the health and safety of the public we can’t leave trees that are diseased or dead because it causes a hazard for the public.”

“There is a lot of mulch there. We prefer it to decompose naturally because if we were to bring trucks in and try to take it out, it would have a higher imprint on the nature of the area,” she said.

The NCC will plant about 75 native trees in the cut area, she said.

Dan Brunton, an environmental consultant who helped draw up the NCC’s formal plan for Britannia Woods and Mud Lake in 2004, says the area has been officially rated with the highest possible ecological importance.

And he said most of the trees and shrubs that were cut are not ash.

He wrote this week to the NCC: “Who was your trail clearing contractor … Rommel’s Panzer Division?! That’s not trail maintenance or upgrading, that’s ecological vandalism worthy of the mechanized shrub and tree slashing used to clear mile after mile of Interstate highway edges in the southern United States! Aside from representing an inexcusable disfigurement of this swamp forest, the slash is vastly wider than ANY pedestrian trail ROW (right-of-way) needs to be, let alone one through an ecological sensitive habitat.”

And he says the wood waste is “spread around in a solid, suffocating layer. This might as well be concrete or plastic as far anything living is concerned. It’s a total death zone.”

Mulching on Mud Lake trails is forbidden under the NCC’s plan, he said in an interview. And the plan also calls for the trail to be no more than one metre wide.

“There won’t be wildlife using (the open area) unless they are just trying to get the hell across it,” he said.

tspears@postmedia.com
twitter.com/TomSpears1

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...called-carnage

Old Posted Apr 27, 2018, 6:44 PM

But they did it for all the Canadians, so that makes it OK!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 11:42 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

NCC looks at separating cyclists and pedestrians on more pathways

Jon Willing, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: June 21, 2018

The National Capital Commission is thinking more about how to reduce conflicts between pedestrians and cyclists on its pathways by seeing where it can separate the two.

Mark Kristmanson, CEO of the NCC, said the agency won’t be able to create segregated pathways everywhere in its network, but he encouraged people to provide feedback on the idea of separating cyclists and pedestrians, and giving each their own dedicated pathway.

The NCC is in the middle of writing a new strategic plan for its pathway system. The board received an update on the work Thursday before a draft plan comes back in early 2019.

The pathways are generally three metres wide, but the NCC is considering how to split them between cyclists and pedestrians or at least widen pathways in high-traffic areas.

During the consultations, the public has brought up the need for cyclists and pedestrians to better share the pathways. Judging by the feedback, widening or segregating them is a public priority, along with pathway standards, signage and connectivity with other pathways.

According to the NCC, the cyclists-versus-pedestrians issue “loomed particularly large” during the consultations.

NCC board member Larry Beasley said more people seem to be put in danger by fast-moving cyclists.

“I find the pathways dangerous right now as pedestrian,” Beasley said during the meeting, suggesting the conflicts will increase as more people bike the pathway network.

Kristmanson said the NCC hears a variety of comments from the public about pathways, but the agency isn’t inundated with feedback on conflicts between pedestrians and cyclists.

“I sometimes get letters complaining about people speeding on the pathways on bikes and asking what we’re going to do about that, and we do blitzes every summer to raise awareness about speed limits,” Kristmanson said.

The speed limit on NCC pathways is 20 km/h.

There’s also the challenge of reconciling recreation use of the pathways and their function as transportation routes. Board member Sara Jane O’Neill encouraged staff to make sure the pathway plan considers cyclists who commute or use the pathways for regular transportation.

The future of the NCC’s pathways is also part of a park blueprint for the south shore of the Ottawa River.

An improved nine-kilometre park between Mud Lake and LeBreton Flats is partly the result of an agreement between the NCC and City of Ottawa on using federal land for the Stage 2 LRT line. The city, which is contributing $30 million to the park enhancement, will build the LRT system below a realigned Sir John A. Macdonald Parkway roughly between Dominion and Cleary avenues.

In the short-term, the NCC wants to build a gateway park in Rochester Field, refurbish the pavilion at Westboro Beach and move the parking lot near the Champlain Bridge farther away from the shoreline. Over the long-term, the NCC wants to have over-the-river boardwalks in the area of the Deschênes Rapids, to reconfigure the ramp between the parkway and Parkdale Avenue and to provide separate pathways for cyclists and pedestrians.

A board celebrated its approval of the park blueprint as a major milestone. Bob Plamondon fought back tears as he moved the motion to approve the blueprint. Plamondon, who was instrumental in bringing the NCC and city together to negotiate the LRT land use over the winter of 2014-2015, appeared at his last meeting before the end of his term as a board member.

The NCC will now try to come up with a name for the 220-hectare park.

<snip>

jwilling@postmedia.com
twitter.com/JonathanWilling

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local-...-more-pathways

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 3:28 PM

This is another pretty exciting NCC initiative:

New Patio In Ottawa Has A Waterfall View And It Opens This Week

https://www.narcity.com/ca/on/ottawa...pens-this-week

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 5:32 PM

I'm really digging these 'Tavern/Terrace on the ____' places! I wonder what's next!

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 6:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeggsEggs View Post
I'm really digging these 'Tavern/Terrace on the ____' places! I wonder what's next!
How about we finally get a Tavern on the Canal?

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 6:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureWickedCity View Post

Great idea. We need more of this. Too bad it is a bit poorly located.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
Well, short of moving Rideau Falls....

I'm looking forward to trying this place very soon.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 6:45 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkeggsEggs View Post
One place I'd love to see a tavern is at Chaudières Falls. Those old stone buildings perched at the edge — put glass roof on the currently topless one — would be an awesome place to have a drink. While I'm at it I'd add one of those cantilevered glass decks out onto the swirling water

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbottawa View Post
How about we finally get a Tavern on the Canal?
So, kind of like the tavern that's on the canal right now?

https://www.facebook.com/terraceottawa/

But just one that you know more about?

Sorry to single you out, but this is a classic Ottawa attitude. The perception that our City has nothing good, but only because we don't get out enough ourselves.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
lol OMG Sorry Kevin, my trolling began before I read YOWetal's comment. The rest of the following is heavy sarcasm:

Poorly located? FFS, it's too bad they didn't build a friggin terrace next to the giant waterfall in the central market area so we don't have to go far to access it! Move the waterfall already FFS!

Better yet, why don't we build the waterfall terrace bar over at the new Costco plaza near Strandherd and Fallowfield so we don't have to go too far! WAY better location to have the waterfall and waterfall-side terrace!

Yeah, we should have left the abandoned boondoggle building abandoned like it was destined to be and not animated that disgusting waterfall-side terrace. Terrible location.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
One place I'd love to see a tavern is at Chaudières Falls. Those old stone buildings perched at the edge — put glass roof on the currently topless one — would be an awesome place to have a drink. While I'm at it I'd add one of those cantilevered glass decks out onto the swirling water

Didn't we see a terrace like that in a design rendering earlier? I think its just a matter of time before a place like that arrives, as the development moves ahead on the island. Can't wait!

Also, in the top right of your photo you can see the 'cantilevering' lookout terrace already framed in and ready to go.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 10:07 PM

Quote:

I passed by today at around 1400hrs and there were a good number of people there. Can the "Tavern in the Garden (of the Provinces)" be far behind?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2018, 3:58 AM

At 7 PM there was a 20-people line waiting to be seated.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 2:45 PM

Dr. Mark Kristmanson term as NCC CEO is over. I guess he would have to reapply for the job or move on? No contract extension?

That's too bad. The NCC has made huge strides since he came along.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 1:51 PM

Quote:

Looks pretty great!

I just wish these Tavern on the ___ places had more variety on the menu to give me a reason to visit(I'm not a hot dog person and I don't drink).

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 3:38 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars View Post
I just wish these Tavern on the ___ places had more variety on the menu to give me a reason to visit(I'm not a hot dog person and I don't drink).
If you don't drink then I don't think a tavern is exactly the place for you.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
If you don't drink then I don't think a tavern is exactly the place for you.
True... But that view is irresistible

Just wish they had something like pizza and/or mocktails on their menu.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ars View Post

Just wish they had something like pizza and/or mocktails on their menu.
Can't any cocktail be a mocktail if you ask for it without booze?

A pizza oven would probably require a more permanent setup. The NCC seems to want these food service places to be temporary.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2018, 1:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acottawa View Post
Can't any cocktail be a mocktail if you ask for it without booze?

A pizza oven would probably require a more permanent setup. The NCC seems to want these food service places to be temporary.
Gotta protect that sacred, nationally-important grass (or roughed-up pavement, in the case of Rideau Falls) for all Canadians. It's what Manitobans want.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues