HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 3:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post

This I'd agree with. No one goes to the PABT unless they really have to.
I went last night. Def hated it but have high hopes on its replacement.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 1:15 AM
Mr. Technology

I ask everyone to visit the Port Authority and park on the roof (especially before the summer season ends) to enjoy the rooftop views.
You can go even further and bring a folding table and chairs, a cooler and enjoy lunch (fried chicken, beverage) surrounded by skyscrapers without a single tourist in sight.
Here's a map just in case you are not sure where to drive:
  • The Port Authority is a destination
  • It's a tourist attraction
  • It's a shopping mall
  • It's a transit hub
  • It's a Taxi hub
Here's a map of the main floor shopping mall:

Support the Port Authority terminal.
Support New York.
Enjoy your visit.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 11:08 AM

Chernobyl is a great place to visit, too! Reactor #4 in particular. Make sure to savor the metallic taste in your mouth, and don't worry about your lower GI-tract denigrating. It's not much different than the feeling one gets going to the PA.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 3:17 PM
Greetings from New Jersey

Well New Jersey is not going to back down without a fight...it seems NYC doesn't want any piece of Infrastructure within its borders.... Stone walling on the Tunnels and Penn aswell...its a sad state of affairs.... If this forum had the chance it would redevelopment Central Park.... So much greed in this region and on this forum...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 7:20 PM

Wasn't it Jersey, Christie in particular, that squashed the ARC project. Guess they don't want infrastructure projects either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Well New Jersey is not going to back down without a fight...it seems NYC doesn't want any piece of Infrastructure within its borders.... Stone walling on the Tunnels and Penn aswell...its a sad state of affairs.... If this forum had the chance it would redevelopment Central Park.... So much greed in this region and on this forum...

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 7:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
Wasn't it Jersey, Christie in particular, that squashed the ARC project. Guess they don't want infrastructure projects either.
I'm talking about the Gateway and Penn rebuild...it seems NY doesn't want to fund that either..

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Like the ESA, 7 train extension, Fulton Transit, 2nd Ave Subway, Penn MNRR access, etc. Yep...NYC sure won't allow/propose any transit construction.

I haven't seen any "stonewalling" on Gateway, which is a Federal project due to Amtrak, besides Christie and Cuomo not magically finding $25B in their couch cushions to pay for it.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Like the ESA, 7 train extension, Fulton Transit, 2nd Ave Subway, Penn MNRR access, etc. Yep...NYC sure won't allow/propose any transit construction.

I haven't seen any "stonewalling" on Gateway, which is a Federal project due to Amtrak, besides Christie and Cuomo not magically finding $25B in their couch cushions to pay for it.
Its been over a year since anything significant was announced on the New York side... It doesn't help that the state and city are fighting... But NYC/NYS should pony up for the Penn Station upgrades , NY side of the tunnels and Penn access... I have a feeling nothing will change intill both Cucmo and Christie are gone...along with certain Politicians in NYC...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 1:04 PM

Quote:
Its been over a year since anything significant was announced on the New York side... It doesn't help that the state and city are fighting... But NYC/NYS should pony up for the Penn Station upgrades , NY side of the tunnels and Penn access... I have a feeling nothing will change intill both Cucmo and Christie are gone...along with certain Politicians in NYC...
Given the size, scope, cost, and agencies involved nothing meaningful is going to happen until there is a pot of federal money for this. NJ is in no position politically to force NY to shoulder the lions's share of the cost that would result from the states trying to do it themselves. This is why they held the LGA rebuild hostage for a commitment to rebuild the PABT in Manhattan at any cost, it was the only leverage they had. Even that commitment is nearly worthless since NYC pols are lining up to obstruct the new west side terminal plan...a position I don't see changing regardless of who holds the offices. I think a new PABT terminal (at least of the size desired) in Manhattan is a growing financial and political impossibility.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 4:18 PM

Building a terminal is NJ is likely to be slightly cheaper and but very unpopular... So I don't see it happening... So the region will enter a stalemate...with either side unwilling to budge... There should be an investigation into why costs are so out of control...a New Terminal can be built with a high rise or skyscraper integrated into it...why hasn't the PA pushed that lately?

Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 10:14 PM

Putting all those buses through Lincoln tunnel seems to be quite inefficient. I think building a terminal in NJ with a smaller one in Manhattan, and extending the 42 st Shuttle to the NJ terminal through one of the Lincoln tunnels would be better, as the shuttle goes faster, and could carry more passengers than the buses. Drivers would lose a tunnel, but wouldn't get nearly as many buses. It would be more expensive, but buses would save a lot of money by not spending so much time in the tunnels going slowly. Extending the 7 Line just doesn't seem like a natural way to go with the extension to Hudson Yards.

If you like the PABT as a destination, you would still have a smaller one, and you'd have the same number of people arriving by the shuttle for the destination shops in Manhattan.

Last edited by njaohnt; Aug 27, 2016 at 10:48 PM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaohnt View Post
Putting all those buses through Lincoln tunnel seems to be quite inefficient. I think building a terminal in NJ with a smaller one in Manhattan, and extending the 42 st Shuttle to the NJ terminal through one of the Lincoln tunnels would be better, as the shuttle goes faster, and could carry more passengers than the buses. Drivers would lose a tunnel, but wouldn't get nearly as many buses. It would be more expensive, but buses would save a lot of money by not spending so much time in the tunnels going slowly. Extending the 7 Line just doesn't seem like a natural way to go with the extension to Hudson Yards.

If you like the PABT as a destination, you would still have a smaller one, and you'd have the same number of people arriving by the shuttle for the destination shops in Manhattan.
By building a terminal in NJ its not really fixing the overcrowded bus problem. Which is due to a lack of investment in Rail on the NJ side and rapid redevelopment... If the state invests in Rail in NJ in those key areas the bus volume could be reduced by half... The 7s extension seems to be tied with a grossly large wetlands / Industrial redevelopment plan...its driven by greed like everything else in this region.. I'm fine with a smaller terminal in NYC if the congestion problem on the NJ side is addressed by investing in Rail... The Rail investment stalemate is due to the Governor which term ends in 2018... Build these following projects and you can significantly reduce the strain on the Bus network.

-Gateway Rail Project
-MOM Rail network (Central Jersey) - 115,000 daily riders (county estimate)
-West Shore Line - 14,000
-Northern Branch & Cross Bergen LRT - 50,000
-Lackawanna Rail access - 8,000

Those 5 projects would greatly reduce the strain on the NYC bound buses , either sending onto the commuter rail into NYC via the Gateway or into Hoboken via the LRT. Combined all those projects cost 27 to 30 billion.. But they would future proof the regions transport capacity... Then you could build a smaller terminal in Manhattan....

Last edited by Nexis4Jersey; Aug 28, 2016 at 2:56 AM.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 2:49 AM
Mr. Technology

The only improvement I could possibly see is a larger facility in the same exact location with more levels of parking.

Making it taller would make it even better.
Imagine making it the world's tallest parking garage with a bonus observation deck for additional revenue!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
The only improvement I could possibly see is a larger facility in the same exact location with more levels of parking.

Making it taller would make it even better.
Imagine making it the world's tallest parking garage with a bonus observation deck for additional revenue!
Parking doesn't make much revenue and encourages driving...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 3:20 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Parking doesn't make much revenue and encourages driving...
A 64 story 300m parking garage with an additional 600m observation deck for a total of 900m in total height would change everyone's perception of how great this terminal can be for the city!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 3:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechTalkGuy View Post
A 64 story 300m parking garage with an additional 600m observation deck for a total of 900m in total height would change everyone's perception of how great this terminal can be for the city!
Ah good ole New York Sarcasm...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 3:28 AM
Mr. Technology

They could charge more per floor.
So say, you wanted to park on the roof - okay, the ticket price has just quadrupled.
You have no idea how many drivers would cheerfully pay for the privilege.

The observation deck would be bringing in millions of dollars in revenue annually.
The souvenir shop would also be huge.
Think of the transit museum at Grand Central and multiply it by 12 to get an idea of how awesome this would be.

I see a big future for the Port Authority Terminal.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 3:38 AM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

^^That would also be a nifty bit of passive demand-response pricing.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 3:40 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
We discussed this over in the tower thread. They've already done studies, and this is yet another study. Ultimately, the terminal will be renovated for sure. It won't be replaced because it's too vital, has direct connections to the tunnel, and there just isn't another site for it.

The current buiding is no Grand Central, but is not as horrible as many like to make it out to be either. I use the terminal often. Like Penn Station, it should be opened up to more natural daylight, but like Penn Station, its basically a multi-level shopping center with "gates".
Thank you for your observation on this matter.
I agree 100% completely.

The Port Authority Terminal is a multi-level shopping center offering visitors a venue and a destination.
There's even a life-size statue of Jackie Gleason, in uniform as bus driver Ralph Kramden, installed outside the Port Authority Terminal on 8th Ave.

Old Posted Aug 30, 2016, 5:59 PM

I'm loving this war that broke out between NY and NJ. Philosophically, it's better to ship commuters into Manhattan by train than by bus. Politically was to rebuild in the same spot but it looks like NY state is changing the politics.

Hahaha!

Results of the design competition are to be revealed next month. The Port Authority made a major err by not giving instructions to the design participants restrict the use of Eminent Domain. Some of the plans call for condemning a whole block or more in Hell's Kitchen, which will be red meat for the NY pols to fight the good fight. Hahaha!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development