HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Sutton Place Nova Centre in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Aug 19, 2016, 11:57 AM

Surprising no one, the DRC has approved all of Rank's requests for changes to the Market Street side design.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 4:38 PM

So sad that the DRC is not standing its ground and demanding better from the developers. It is completely in their power to reject or ask for alterations in order to better conform to the design review panel. But this does not seem to be happening.

And they wasted no time getting started. This was done Friday:

20160821_071545 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20160821_071628 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20160821_071555 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 21, 2016, 4:39 PM

And just a few more angles.

20160820_071705 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20160820_071818 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 22, 2016, 2:40 AM

Back side of this building is really really crap at street level. But I do like the dark brick.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 2:13 PM

Last week from the 19th floor of the Maple.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 2:40 PM

Nice to capture that before the Roy obscures it.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Nice to capture that before the Roy obscures it.

Save the View from the Maple!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2016, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portapetey View Post
Save the View from the Maple!
Something else for a "Friends of" group to protest. Goodie!

Old Posted Sep 4, 2016, 9:28 PM

20160903_092904_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr

And visible all the way out on McNabs!

20160903_112229 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 13, 2016, 5:32 PM

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 4:09 PM

Mine from a few days ago. I wish this building had a better pedestrian presence. A skyline changer none the less.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 4:19 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
A "human scale" development would clearly have been better. This thing will ruin downtown and nobody attends conferences anymore.

^ Imagine if these people were making the decisions. What would this picture look like?
Agreed. I was trying to remain optimistic but it's just too overpowering, too dark, too glassy, too slick and textureless, and too overwhelming in scale for a small downtown.

I might not have minded one of them, but two together right across the street like that and the overpass covering the street...

Just a total fail for me.

It might have been nice on one of the big vacant lots on the waterfront though. The colour would sort of work with the ocean, and partner with the other blue glass buildings closer to the water.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 5:26 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
Agreed. I was trying to remain optimistic but it's just too overpowering, too dark, too glassy, too slick and textureless, and too overwhelming in scale for a small downtown.

I might not have minded one of them, but two together right across the street like that and the overpass covering the street...

It might have been nice on one of the big vacant lots on the waterfront though. The colour would sort of work with the ocean, and partner with the other blue glass buildings closer to the water.
Jury is out until its done and you can walk around / underneath it.

"Small downtown" is a product of small thinking. It won't always be this way.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 5:34 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Whether or not downtown expands, it is still too much for the small geographic area that the current downtown occupies.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 6:25 PM
Volatile Pacivist

Actually, I take that back. I mentioned before that i wouldn't have minded it down near the water, but I didn't immediately pick up on why.

Dark colours and modern materials like that tend to feel very cold and overbearing. Other blue glass buildings like 1801 Hollis and Purdy's Wharf are at the bottom of the hill which really suits them. We really should have limited them to no higher than Barrington St., because having something so cold, cold and dark so high up the hill feels really overbearing and oppressive. If they wanted something of that scale, in that location, it should have been lighter colours and warmer textures.

This is a paradigm found throughout various schools of design rather than just community planning. It's found in architecture, fashion, even interior decoration and design.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
A "human scale" development would clearly have been better. This thing will ruin downtown and nobody attends conferences anymore.

^ Imagine if these people were making the decisions. What would this picture look like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post

I think @worldlyhaligonian was being sarcastic.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 8:20 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I have yet to see this in person but it could look a lot better once the detailing is complete and once it's lit up and active. Back when the towers were bare concrete there were a lot more comments about how heavy it looked in the skyline.

It's not hard to believe that this development isn't perfect, but that reminds me of the aphorism of perfect being the enemy of the good. The old empty blocks here certainly weren't perfect, nor were the dumpy buildings and blank walls that covered part of the site before they were demolished. This is also a pretty heavily-constrained development since it needs to accommodate large convention spaces. If those spaces are really successful then maybe it is worth sacrificing part of Market Street or whatever. Maybe it's possible to imagine a superior building but it's hard to see how this development is a net loss for the city.

For the most part I think improvement happens through active development, learning, and improvements to the approvals process. It does not come through the imposition of more and more stringent yet untested regulations. If the city decided in 2000 that only excellent buildings would be built I think there would mostly just be a lot more parking lots around. Maybe there would be one or two buildings that very closely matched somebody's ideal standards but other people would still probably complain about them.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Mmmm. Yeah. Think that was sarcasm.i have seen so many butt ugly convention centres and this is not one of them. The only smallness downtown is the scale of the street grid. And it is roughly like the small town of Lower Manhattan.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 9:37 PM
we built this city

It was pure sarcasm. The current wave of development is going to take downtown to the next level.

I personally like the NC from an aesthetic point of view, but I also realize there is a smear campaign as well. I think its too early to tell how it interacts with the street, but I don't think it can be better. The Argyle side should be very lively, especially if it becomes a shared street in that section.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2016, 9:38 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I have yet to see this in person but it could look a lot better once the detailing is complete and once it's lit up and active. Back when the towers were bare concrete there were a lot more comments about how heavy it looked in the skyline.

It's not hard to believe that this development isn't perfect, but that reminds me of the aphorism of perfect being the enemy of the good. The old empty blocks here certainly weren't perfect, nor were the dumpy buildings and blank walls that covered part of the site before they were demolished. This is also a pretty heavily-constrained development since it needs to accommodate large convention spaces. If those spaces are really successful then maybe it is worth sacrificing part of Market Street or whatever. Maybe it's possible to imagine a superior building but it's hard to see how this development is a net loss for the city.

For the most part I think improvement happens through active development, learning, and improvements to the approvals process. It does not come through the imposition of more and more stringent yet untested regulations. If the city decided in 2000 that only excellent buildings would be built I think there would mostly just be a lot more parking lots around. Maybe there would be one or two buildings that very closely matched somebody's ideal standards but other people would still probably complain about them.
Yet nobody is allowed to complain about the sacred library. Ironically, the two buildings are very similar.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth