HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 5:08 AM

I tried to book an Epic Mountain Express shuttle from Breckenridge to Denver for my family and the lady who answered the phone said they only run to DIA because they don't have a permit for shared vans downtown. Can anyone confirm if this is a fact? Getting a ride to the ski areas directly from the city rather than the airport seems to be an immense challenge. I'm really surprised that no private company has cracked the problem of affordable transportation from Denver to the the ski areas, or at least from the park-n-rides in Morrison.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
I tried to book an Epic Mountain Express shuttle from Breckenridge to Denver for my family and the lady who answered the phone said they only run to DIA because they don't have a permit for shared vans downtown. Can anyone confirm if this is a fact? Getting a ride to the ski areas directly from the city rather than the airport seems to be an immense challenge. I'm really surprised that no private company has cracked the problem of affordable transportation from Denver to the the ski areas, or at least from the park-n-rides in Morrison.
You can check out this Visit Denver link under MOUNTAIN SHUTTLES & CHARTER SERVICES but its vague as to whether it can solve your dilemma and doesn't specifically answer your question.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 7:17 AM

Props to Andy Bosselman

Denver Streetsblog's new writer Andy Bosselman provides an excellent description of what is being done and why with respect the 'new' Department of Transportation and Infrastructure, to wit:
Quote:
Unlike other cities, where public works departments have spun off transportation functions into dedicated DOTs, Denver’s proposed department will be responsible for city streets, the refuse bins on its sidewalks, and the sewers underneath.

“Because these functions play out every day in our public right of way, both under and above ground, it’s imperative we keep these functions under the umbrella of our transportation department,” said Mayor Michael Hancock.
Why is this a good thing?
Quote:
For example, instead of digging up a street two times, once to repave it, and later to replace the neighborhood’s sewers, this new planning process would anticipate the repaving project and plan for it to follow the sewer replacement.
Not sure this strategy wasn't already being followed but it's an advantage for keeping everything still under one roof as opposed to a total separation of functions where a lack of coordination could come into play.

Also, what I previously misunderstood is that the $7.3 million being saved is from NOT creating two separate agencies. It seems a bit odd that since everything will still be 'under one roof' that voters need to approve the changes. But I guess the reorganization and New Name is substantial enough that they do.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
You can check out this Visit Denver link under MOUNTAIN SHUTTLES & CHARTER SERVICES but its vague as to whether it can solve your dilemma and doesn't specifically answer your question.
They ended up taking Bustang from Frisco. What I did not realize is that purchasing a ticket does not guarantee you a seat. The bus did fill up and there were several people stranded in Frisco. I can't imagine a worse scenario, being stuck at the Frisco Transfer Center without a place to stay or a ride home. And if this is happening midweek in April, I can only imagine the situation mid-winter. CDOT really needs to get its act together regarding transit from Denver to the mountains. Demand is obviously there.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
For example, instead of digging up a street two times, once to repave it, and later to replace the neighborhood’s sewers, this new planning process would anticipate the repaving project and plan for it to follow the sewer replacement.

Not sure this strategy wasn't already being followed but it's an advantage for keeping everything still under one roof as opposed to a total separation of functions where a lack of coordination could come into play.
I did notice across the street from my work at 6th and Delaware that DPW did curb and gutter work and installed ADA ramps a year ago, and now the same sidewalk is being torn up again, presumably for sewer work.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2019, 8:04 PM

According to Streetsblog USA's Thursday's Headlines

Denver Mayor Michael Hancock is asking voters to approve a new city DOT that would hire 1,000 people to complete street-level projects faster and set up a new city-run transit agency. (Denverite)

Well, I was tricked too. Apparently there will be no hiring tsunami at DPW or same with a new name. Apparently the newly named Denver Transportation and Infrastructure was enough to conclude up to 1,000 (new) employees will now be working on transportation as opposed to whatever they are currently doing.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2019, 1:50 AM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
That Eulois Cleckley has quite the sense of humor
Did a double take at this. I know Eulois Cleckley (though not well enough to know he'd moved to Denver). Used to work in DC.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2019, 2:09 AM

^ Yes, he went from the frying pan into the fire but it was well worth it since he ended up in God's Country.

Bustang's newfangled Bus Stop

https://www.coloradoan.com/story/new...rk/3359458002/
Quote:
As part of the project, the area will include a first-of-its-kind feature for Colorado — a bus stop in the middle of I-25.

The bus stop will serve the Colorado Department of Transportation’s Bustang bus that runs from Fort Collins to Denver. The Bustang route has been a popular addition since debuting in 2015. Ridership has grown from 2,992 passengers per month in August 2015 to 8,133 passengers per month in June 2018.

The Kendall Parkway enhancement is expected to save 15 minutes each way on the trip, according to CDOT.
Draw me a picture.
Quote:
The expansion will allow Bustang to use the third, express lane, and exit left into the middle of the interstate at Kendall Parkway. There, passengers who park at a new designated parking lot west of I-25 will take an underpass below I-25 and walk up a ramp to the Bustang bus stop. The bus stop will be adequately protected so passengers can safely board the bus.

Old Posted Apr 10, 2019, 8:59 PM

Due to a bomb passing through, DIA canceled over 750 flights today.

Old Posted Apr 11, 2019, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Draw me a picture.
There's a rendering. Sadly it's small, but look closely. The bus stop is in the lower left.

It's nice! In-line bus stops are great compared to making the bus exit. Minneapolis and LA have a few, but they're pretty rare.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
There's a rendering. Sadly it's small, but look closely. The bus stop is in the lower left.
Yes, I see it (sorta)

Being rich may not buy happiness but it sure helps in buying light rail

https://www.kentreporter.com/news/fe...federal-grant/
Quote:
The Federal Transit Administration (FTA) on Wednesday moved Sound Transit’s Federal Way Link Extension forward in its rigorous funding process, granting the project approval to advance to the engineering phase — a necessary step toward securing a critical grant.
So how much money are we talking about?
Quote:
With FTA’s approval of the project into Engineering, FTA locked in the Capital Investment Grant funding amount at $790 million, the level requested by Sound Transit.
But what is the project cost?
Quote:
Sound Transit is seeking 25 percent funding of the total federal project estimate of $3.1 billion. This estimate includes funding to purchase 20 additional Link vehicles.

Trains on the 7.8-mile light rail extension from Angle Lake in SeaTac to Federal Way will serve three stations along the route.
Only three stations and the cost comes to a cool $397 million per mile which is over 5 1/2 X the cost of FasTracks at ~$70 million per mile.

Comparing this to just the Eagle P3 commuter rail is also interesting. The A and G Lines have 16 stations over 34 miles; the reported cost of $2.2 billion comes to less than $65 million per mile. RTD receive FTA grant for $1.03 billion. However if you add in the 'equity/loan' by the private partner of ~$400 million then the total cost of $2.6 billion works out to $76.5 million per mile. I didn't include the B Line as I believe RTD paid for that separately.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 11:11 AM

Have you ever felt like you've been hit in the head by concrete?

That's the way the DIA is feeling. The completion of the “Great Hall Project” is now being pushed from 2021 out to 2023 and even that is not a time certain. Oh, and the money changers have come a-calling.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 11:16 PM

The Time Has Come to get Your G Line Gear

Click Here - to see RTD twitter Opening Ceremony photo logo.

Isn't bunt usually first in line (wearing his Blue Bros shades) when a new train starts up? April 26th or four more days at 9:00 a.m. at the Ward Station is the place to be.

Source

Good News: The Horns Are Back

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/04/...commerce-city/
Quote:
N Line Testing Begins; Residents Should Expect Horns Sounding

THORNTON, Colo. (CBS4) – Testing will happen Monday through Friday between 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. Residents can also expect testing on some Saturdays
Winter Park Express Sees Record Ridership Since Re-launch
April 22, 2019
Quote:
WINTER PARK, Colo. (CBS4) – Amtrak’s Winter Park Express saw record numbers for the 2018/2019 season. Officials say more than 19,000 round-trip tickets were purchased. That’s the most since the service re-launched in 2017

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 11:21 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Isn't bunt usually first in line (wearing his Blue Bros shades) when a new train starts up? April 26th or four more days at 9:00 a.m. at the Ward Station is the place to be.
I will be on a camel in the Sahara, otherwise you are absolutely correct. Silly me for not knowing this exact day - only two years and a half years late - would be the day. Maybe RTD will screw something else up in time for me to be there after all.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 5:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunt_q View Post
I will be on a camel in the Sahara, otherwise you are absolutely correct. Silly me for not knowing this exact day - only two years and a half years late - would be the day. Maybe RTD will screw something else up in time for me to be there after all.
Too cool.

Actually, it's about time you figured out if you can be a camel 'whisperer' or not. A quick search suggests you NOT wear any thong underwear. Does this mean you're doing the three day trip to Merzouga and Erg Chebbi?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 7:05 PM
Provincial Bumpkin

Quote:
Too cool.

Actually, it's about time you figured out if you can be a camel 'whisperer' or not. A quick search suggests you NOT wear any thong underwear. Does this mean you're doing the three day trip to Merzouga and Erg Chebbi?
Yes indeed!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 1:38 AM

How many have noticed the ongoing evolution of the inter-webs

For example, more online sources are trying to use paywalls or favoring podcasts over written pieces like with Vox Media's family of sports blogs. For tee vee news, online print coverage is substandard unless you like videos which is always substandard. Google search is the worst and has become obnoxious and often hard to find what you want unless it falls within some commercially popular category.

All that is a long way around to not being able to find any live photo coverage with real people of the G Line Grand Opening. Even urban icon Denverite used a Sachs piece to primarily question/complain rather than to celebrate which is unfortunate if only because Kevin J. Beaty does a great job in taking photos.

That's Okay
This thread needs to celebrate the G Line Grand Opening so we'll go with what we could find that's real time, real people.

Video Link

Video Link

There's also a so-so RTD official release video for the G Line.

Old Posted Apr 28, 2019, 4:33 PM
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS

Cirrus will be happy to know I took zero photos for him.

"Of course you're right." Cirrus

Old Posted Apr 29, 2019, 3:38 PM

The Denver Post has a nice photo tour, and I haven't hit whatever their monthly limit of free views is. So I'm all set and seventwenty can GFH.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
The Denver Post has a nice photo tour,
Good find. I missed them as they were taken four days before opening on a media available tour. They did get some nice photos though.

Less money for sidewalks and bike lanes?

https://www.westword.com/news/denver...thers-11323791
Quote:
Overall, the City of Denver now spends nearly $1 billion annually on salaries alone, up from $600 million just eight years ago.
My cranky mechanical calculator indicates that $400 million a year could pay for significant city infrastructure.

Off hand, I know they added a lot of new police officers which don't come cheap; probably a good idea however. They obviously needed to staff up their planning dept for permits, inspections etc.
Quote:
While conservatives might decry the city’s ballooning payroll as big-government bureaucracy run amok, city officials, for their part, defend the staffing increases as necessary to keep pace with Denver’s rapid growth.
Of course they do but I tend to be fiscally conservative. $400 million per year is a ton of new recurring overhead that grows continually.
Quote:
Over the past eight years, Hancock has used his considerable power as mayor — and the considerable new revenues that have poured into city coffers thanks to Denver’s booming economy — to grow and reshape the vast bureaucracy underneath him. The municipal government that has evolved and expanded under his leadership is a reflection of his vision for the City of Denver.
How nice.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West