HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
Regarding the Perimeter in general it seems like it is getting more attention from the general public, not just from us in this niche forum. A lot of recent multi-vehicle collisions, including two yesterday (top of Pembina interchange and St Marys intersection) are making it crop up in social media.
The South Perimeter is sometimes a convenient way for me to get to the western parts of the city, but it is feeling increasingly treacherous. The stretch from roughly Kenaston to the CP tracks near St. Anne is getting to be downright dangerous. They may need to reduce the speed limits there.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 5:03 PM

The west side (Portage through Wilkes) is fairly dangerous too and seeing really high traffic volumes.

Portage it is the weaving of traffic on the overpass, and with the semis with two 53' trailers trying to navigate it at times there is minimal room to work with.

Roblin is bad for the almost fully blind west to north merge that limits what traffic both directions can see.

Wilkes is likely the worst of the existing grade separations not just on the Perimeter but in the province. The north bound entry from Wilkes is a combination of two major problems - an extremely sharp 180 turn followed be the lane almost ending immediately. The southbound flow has a similar problem with an exit occurring in a really awkward spot on the blind side of the overpass. There has been at least one accident there where police marked the lane as closed a fair bit back from the accident scene for safety reason. Wilkes is a fairly easy fix as you move both exchange points about half a KM or so to the south. This lets the northbound traffic merge at speed and lets the southbound move into an exit lane and slow down as needed with minimal impact to through traffic.

I am honestly shocked the Wilkes upgrades haven't been done long ago.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 5:08 PM

^ Wilkes has a short merge lane but it is not all that dissimilar from other short merge lanes. The real shocker is when you come across one of those rare spots where there is actually room to merge and get up to speed without being abruptly forced into traffic.

That said, I acknowledge that traffic volumes and speeds on the West Perimeter can make merging off Wilkes a bit difficult at times.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2021, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
^ Wilkes has a short merge lane but it is not all that dissimilar from other short merge lanes. The real shocker is when you come across one of those rare spots where there is actually room to merge and get up to speed without being abruptly forced into traffic.

That said, I acknowledge that traffic volumes and speeds on the West Perimeter can make merging off Wilkes a bit difficult at times.
Traffic volumes is what makes it worse than Rosser. They're basically the same design but Wilkes is so much busier. I think the uphill acceleration also makes it more dangerous, especially if you have a bigger or older vehicle that doesn't have the ability to get from ~15kmh to traffic flowing speed in 100m

To add to CoryB's point, the stretches of Perimeter that cross the Red or Assiniboine are the three busiest stretches of road in the provincial highway network. Winnipegers using Perimeter just to access work/schools/businesses on the other side of the river since the next crossing into the city is much farther away, combined with the rest of the traffic using Perimeter for longer stretches.

Those will definitely be the areas that will need 6 lanes the first.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 8:56 PM

Hey guys, I was browsing the interactive Manitoba road construction map and noticed the mcgillivray interchange construction now says 2022-2024. Maybe the province is finally realizing human life should be number one priority?!

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 9:34 PM

Pricing for St. Mary's overpass extended to November. I don't know which day yet.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plrh View Post
Pricing for St. Mary's overpass extended to November. I don't know which day yet.
This is getting ridiculous. Ron schuler told me directly it was starting in September…

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgstvsouth94 View Post
Hey guys, I was browsing the interactive Manitoba road construction map and noticed the mcgillivray interchange construction now says 2022-2024. Maybe the province is finally realizing human life should be number one priority?!
Does it say design or construction? ...

I was wondering if they extend the pricing period. One month isn't the end of the world. These fall starts are kind of like that anyways.

pricing was supposed to be in September 30. They'd review it for a month at least. So award possible by November on the original schedule. There's not much of substance being done in November besides some prep work.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 2:58 PM

I don't know if this means anything but the province acquired a parcel of land from the city at the NW corner of St Anne's road and Perimeter as part of the land acquisition for the St Mary's interchange.

See the map:

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/Vie...onId=&InitUrl=

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

I was wondering if they extend the pricing period. One month isn't the end of the world. These fall starts are kind of like that anyways.

pricing was supposed to be in September 30. They'd review it for a month at least. So award possible by November on the original schedule. There's not much of substance being done in November besides some prep work.
it said interchange construction.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 6:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post

Title: "RFPQ of Design Builders for Interchange Construction at PTH 100 and PR 200"

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyk View Post
Title: "RFPQ of Design Builders for Interchange Construction at PTH 100 and PR 200"
The Request for Pre Qualification (RFPQ) is over. There were 3 groups that pre-qualified. Now we are in the Request for Proposals (RFP). There are 2 proposals to be evaluated, a technical and a financial. Each team is separately designing their own project and pricing it within the vague guidelines provided. Which is why there are a lot of delays for clarifications.

Extending it often keeps the prices lower. If a contractor is unsure or unclear, they will err to the safe (more expensive) possibility to avoid unexpected costs in construction. So the province is happy to extend it to provide clarifications to avoid having contractors submit pricing that covers all possibilities.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 8:16 PM

St. Mary's will be U/C by the winter. There was some type of change that was coming to the project, from what I heard. Seems like maybe they extended the deadline because of it.

Was also talking about McGillivray. The dot on the map is under the design colour. Design from 22-24. Will probably include the RFP process, I would hope. I would believe they alrady have WSP doing teh same type of design thing they did for St. Mary's. Hopefully just confirming the initial plans. So they can roll into after St. Mary's is complete. 2025 timeline.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCake View Post
I don't know if this means anything but the province acquired a parcel of land from the city at the NW corner of St Anne's road and Perimeter as part of the land acquisition for the St Mary's interchange.

See the map:

https://clkapps.winnipeg.ca/dmis/Vie...onId=&InitUrl=
I believe that some of that land was going to be the new Winnipeg insect control heliport and chemical storage site to get it out of the Elmwood area and the smaller insect control site on Waverly was going to move in as well

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 4:14 AM
BANNED

Stopped for 10 minutes for a train crossing on the south perimeter today, what a joke of a roadway.

The whole perimeter is a joke, 2021 and a bypass without grade separated rail crossings, traffic light stops at major intersections, curbs on the median lane a 1/4 meter from the roadway…..

Even friggin Regina a free flow bypass, friggin Regina…

Old Posted Oct 2, 2021, 4:54 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
The west side (Portage through Wilkes) is fairly dangerous too and seeing really high traffic volumes.

Portage it is the weaving of traffic on the overpass, and with the semis with two 53' trailers trying to navigate it at times there is minimal room to work with.

Roblin is bad for the almost fully blind west to north merge that limits what traffic both directions can see.

Wilkes is likely the worst of the existing grade separations not just on the Perimeter but in the province. The north bound entry from Wilkes is a combination of two major problems - an extremely sharp 180 turn followed be the lane almost ending immediately. The southbound flow has a similar problem with an exit occurring in a really awkward spot on the blind side of the overpass. There has been at least one accident there where police marked the lane as closed a fair bit back from the accident scene for safety reason. Wilkes is a fairly easy fix as you move both exchange points about half a KM or so to the south. This lets the northbound traffic merge at speed and lets the southbound move into an exit lane and slow down as needed with minimal impact to through traffic.

I am honestly shocked the Wilkes upgrades haven't been done long ago.
Going onto northbound Perimeter from Wilkes is definitely tricky. I have to be like an F1 driver just to pull that 180 turn, then 3/4 of the way through that turn, I have to floor it, just enough to get up to highway speed safely all in move. That's provided that you properly judge oncoming traffic, and whether they will give you enough time and space for you to get onto the Perimeter. Never mind the marginal road condition of that entire ramp itself.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2021, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Stopped for 10 minutes for a train crossing on the south perimeter today, what a joke of a roadway.

The whole perimeter is a joke, 2021 and a bypass without grade separated rail crossings, traffic light stops at major intersections, curbs on the median lane a 1/4 meter from the roadway…..

Even friggin Regina a free flow bypass, friggin Regina…
I just don’t get why Selinger, Doer, Filmon or Pawley couldn’t have just built at least one grade separated interchange extra during each of their 4 year terms. Just one friggin interchange.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2021, 9:51 PM

I was reading a couple articles with the paving operations starting on the south and west perimeter. I was wondering what they are doing over the portage interchange. A few meters when you get over the interchange going north is crumbled asphalt that needs paving. The rest is new solid concrete surface. They aren’t paving all of the new concrete are they? Or are they just concrete planing? I hope someone can bring some context to this.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 12:48 AM

Cost of overhaul?

Regina completed an overhaul of their Regina Bypass for $2B. Would it take $5B for Manitoba to fix our ring road? Bite the bullet, spend the $5B, get it done in 6 years?

Old Posted Oct 5, 2021, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTC321 View Post
Regina completed an overhaul of their Regina Bypass for $2B. Would it take $5B for Manitoba to fix our ring road? Bite the bullet, spend the $5B, get it done in 6 years?
It wasn't an overhaul, it was a completely new build in the middle of a field for the most part. Didn't have to deal with traffic.

One or two interchanges on the go at a time seems like a reasonable pace given our history of nothing happening for 30 some years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan