HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Today, 2:37 AM
They all float down here

Some pretty hefty demands from Ryan Smith:

https://archive.md/unCk9

But I think a lot of it is positive - including asking the city to forgo any height-limit in the designated area.

With that said, I suspect there's going to be a lot of pushback - either from some on the council or residents of Salt Lake.

My thoughts? I think the city has pretty much *wink winked* a deal and the council will vote on it. It explains why they're keeping details on the downlow as much as possible (the initial Tribune request open-records request was denied). Add the expedited public comments and it's clear they want to push this through without much objection as possible.

Will be interesting.

Old Posted Today, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
But I think a lot of it is positive - including asking the city to forgo any height-limit in the designated area.
How interesting. So maybe we could see a 40+ story building? or two?

Old Posted Today, 12:04 PM

Interesting. I wonder how much more we will know after next Tuesday when the city council hears the proposal. I mean, this sucker really needs to be fast tracked if DC renovation are to start next offseason

Old Posted Today, 1:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I think 95 State is the third one I didn't have the name for. I think I can see Liberty Sky hidden behind a taller one. so 4 bigger towers between the 2 photos?
The third one you didn't have a name for is 111 Main St. 95 State is farther to the left, mostly hidden behind the Key Bank Tower and World Trade Center. Liberty Sky is also to the left. It's the tiny one you can glimpse between the Zions Bank building and Gateway Tower West.

Old Posted Today, 2:52 PM

I am somewhat concerned about creating the entertainment district adjacent to potential lds campus expansion and kitty corner to Temple Square. Bars adjacent to Temple Square?? Anyone else concerned about that? Ryan is LDS right? Doesn't he see the dilemma in that? Why not try to go one block east with mostly mixed-use res. towers and hotel and then go southeast and work with the Ritchie Group on the rest of the West Quarter?

Old Posted Today, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
I am somewhat concerned about creating the entertainment district adjacent to potential lds campus expansion and kitty corner to Temple Square. Bars adjacent to Temple Square?? Anyone else concerned about that? Ryan is LDS right? Doesn't he see the dilemma in that? Why not try to go one block east with mostly mixed-use res. towers and hotel and then go southeast and work with the Ritchie Group on the rest of the West Quarter?
Why would having bars by Temple Square be a big issue? This isn't going to turn SLC into a Nashville or Las Vegas style 24 hour party town. The one visual we saw and discussion I've heard is much along the lines of the battery in Atlanta. Think offices, residential dwellings, and indoor/outdoor retail similar to City Creek imo.

On that note, I don't know how all 3 can thrive together, in such close proximity, I think if this is built you're going to be trading a good chunk of tax dollars from other retail in SLC. There's only so much spending to go around. This is one of the arguments successfully used against the Coyotes failed Tempe vote last year, the developers always call it "new tax dollars generated" which of course they want to keep almost all of them. But the reality is you're definitely going to be stealing retail spending from nearby competitors that already exist.

On the last part, I don't get the feeling he wants to work with anyone, he wants total control of all of it and wants the city residents to kick in all but 1% of every sales tax dollar it will generate for 30-years to pay for it.

Old Posted Today, 5:21 PM
Space Magi

I hadn't seen this page before.

https://www.slc.gov/planning/2024/04...use2024-00441/

Quote:
Salt Lake City is proposing to amend the text of D4 Secondary Business Zoning District to support the creation of an “entertainment district” within the zone. The proposal would make the following code changes:
  • Remove the maximum height limit in the D4 zone. The existing height limit in the D4 zone is 125’, except for the southeast corner of block 67 (former location of the US Post Office) which allows building height to 375’. The proposal will match the height requirements of the D1 zone, which does not have an established maximum height.
  • Change the following land uses from conditional to permitted: Stadiums, Heliports, accessory; and Parking, commercial.
  • Extend the Delta Center sign overlay that applies to the block to the Salt Palace Convention Center, Abravanel Hall, the Utah Museum of Contemporary Arts, and the convention center hotel. This would include exempting signs within the overlay from the sign chapter when the signs are not facing a public street.
  • Clarify that additions to existing buildings that exceed the maximum setback are allowed.
  • Minor changes to existing provisions for clarity. These changes do not waive any requirement.
All of D-4 getting D-1 height limits is something noteworthy. Public comment is open on this.

Edit: nice aerial (source)

Last edited by Atlas; Today at 5:45 PM.

Old Posted Today, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post

This is from the big SL Tribune article from a few days ago:
Also pointing toward these blocks: this year’s omnibus liquor bill, HB548. It creates a “designated project area zone” of three blocks between South Temple and 100 South from West Temple to 400 West. There, Utah’s laws prohibiting bars near community locations will no longer apply beginning May 1.

A source familiar with the negotiations said that loosening of liquor laws just blocks from Temple Square and LDS Church headquarters would not have been possible without sign-off from Utah’s predominant faith.

Seems like the church if fully aware of it AND is supporting it.

Old Posted Today, 7:30 PM
Lahaina Strong

Worthington yesterday, no idea what they plan to replace the whistling siding.

Old Posted Today, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

All of D-4 getting D-1 height limits is something noteworthy. Public comment is open on this.
[/IMG]
I wonder if this height adjustment is also tied to the delayed rezoning of what will become the IHC hospital. That hasn't seen movement in a year...

Old Posted Today, 8:18 PM
They all float down here

Exciting times for the city.

Can't wait to see how we screw this up.

(I'm kidding... but not)

Old Posted Today, 8:28 PM

Great shot atlas..

honestly a couple 600 footers would do wonders for SLC

Old Posted Today, 8:37 PM
Engineer

That’s my favorite angle of the skyline Atlas, looking northeast. Especially with Astra and Worthington visible now. Worthington’s looking good!

I was shocked by the church being on board with forgoing bar restrictions in that entire area. Literally next door to all the land they own. I can’t imagine there will be a ton of action right on south temple though. We will see.

Old Posted Today, 9:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhero View Post
That’s my favorite angle of the skyline Atlas, looking northeast. Especially with Astra and Worthington visible now. Worthington’s looking good!

I was shocked by the church being on board with forgoing bar restrictions in that entire area. Literally next door to all the land they own. I can’t imagine there will be a ton of action right on south temple though. We will see.
I would assume, looking at the rendering they put out a couple months ago, that most of the big entertainment/dining stuff will be on the interior of those blocks; looks like tall buildings along the streets with a pedestrian promenade running E-W down the middle to the Delta Center. So maybe by doing it that way, and not having a bunch of roadside patio bars directly facing out toward the LDS buildings/Temple, that's how they got the approval.

Old Posted Today, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post

Edit: nice aerial (source)

Need to get access to the top of that Deseret Bakery silo and shoot a panorama from there.

Old Posted Today, 9:09 PM

The rezoning is probably just out of convenience right now, we can probably expect the highest buildings to be in the 200’ range at the very most, I doubt it’s because 20-40 story towers are part of the big plan. Of course this would make it possible for future developers to build tall in that area.

Indeed interesting times, wouldn’t have believed it just a year ago.

Btw that other new aerial photo is sick.

Old Posted Today, 9:53 PM

Drooool

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West