HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
This discussion seems a little sanctimonious, but getting past that, perhaps the government should just shut down all fast food restaurants, as that stuff isn't healthy for anybody to eat anyhow. Solves the drive-thru problem, and frees-up space for more residential. Maybe there are more things that are wasteful and unnecessary that the government can shut down. Where should the line be drawn?

And how hard is it to make coffee at home and take it with you (unless you're riding a bicycle, I suppose)?

How about all of the waste caused by rapidly changing technology or fashion? How many devices are tossed because we need to rush out to get the latest greatest (on the day of the iphone 15 launch)? How many clothes are tossed because they are no longer in style? How many appliances end up in the landfill or getting recycled because they now only last 7 - 10 years instead of 20 - 25 as they used to? How many devices go in the garbage because they are made to not be serviceable?

Climate change can and should get you looking at everything 'we' (i.e. the planet's population) do, and TBH, should start with somehow curtailing the massive growth rate of the population itself. The more people on the planet trying to live 'the good life', the further into the climate hole we will fall. It's interesting that nobody seems to get that.
Very odd that a McDonalds moving a dozen meters or so to make room for more housing is triggering such straw-man arguments about climate change and Ottawa. This is a business decision impacted by planning work to improve the area by bringing in more desperately needed housing, improving safety, and making the area less car-oriented (and therefore more pleasant overall).

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
The SGR Macdonald's survives due to the High school just up the street. There are over 1400 students at Citadel High now.
While Citadel is undoubtedly the source of a lot of their business, I doubt they need that source to "survive". SGR is the most pedestrian-dense street in the city anyway, with more walk-by traffic than anywhere else.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikesBikes View Post
And the connection between McDonalds moving to the building next door and the Federal Liberal Party is what exactly?
In case you have not noticed the Liberals are in trouble especially here in Atlantic Canada. Their electoral prospects have been greatly reduced since the Carbon taxes have jumped 40 cents a liter. Vassey Kapelos of CTV news recently commented that she was very surprised at the negative comments from regular folks, Taxi drivers and hotel staff She met in Charlottetown during the recent Liberal caucus meeting. People that need fuel are stretched. I have noticed a 20% drop in activity of my building supply customers this Summer since July 1.If you are under 40 and do not own your own home yet, do you think you ever will? The Liberals are killing hope.

The climate issue and the taxes Guibault has demanded to punish folks has suddenly become a political choice issue. Folks mouth the "we have to do something" mantra but always think its someone else that will pay. A 40 cent jump in Gas prices makes folks look closely at the climate punishment taxes as the useless gesture it is. Until China and India agree to stop polluting no amount of self inflected pain here in West will make a difference. If you are a sentient being YOU KNOW THIS.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
Well, you can also make the case that if we don't get climate change under control there may not be any food to service people anyway. The fact people can't out of their car to get food always seemed lazy to me.
How about drivers who may have a disability and/or physical challenges where getting in/out of a vehicle is not easy for them. Consider a driver who uses a wheelchair. Are they lazy for using a drive-thru? Or how about a parent with a baby or young child(ren) in the car. Are they lazy for using a drive-thru?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 4:47 PM

Coburg Social on Coburg Rd and Henry St is permanently closed.

Anyone knows what are they planning to do with the site? There are construction related signs on the door:

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 4:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozabald View Post
How about drivers who may have a disability and/or physical challenges where getting in/out of a vehicle is not easy for them. Consider a driver who uses a wheelchair. Are they lazy for using a drive-thru? Or how about a parent with a baby or young child(ren) in the car. Are they lazy for using a drive-thru?
As far as cycling zealots and arch anti-automobile urbanists are concerned, those are mere trifling concerns of no relevance whatsoever. There is absolutely no excuse for the drive-thru, and they should be banned entirely throughout HRM, even in Sheet Harbour and Neecum Teuch.........

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikesBikes View Post
Very odd that a McDonalds moving a dozen meters or so to make room for more housing is triggering such straw-man arguments about climate change and Ottawa. This is a business decision impacted by planning work to improve the area by bringing in more desperately needed housing, improving safety, and making the area less car-oriented (and therefore more pleasant overall).
No triggering or straw-man arguments here - but sanctimonious judgements bring about philosophical points that are ripe for discussion. Regardless, I see where you're going there, and I see virtue-signalling being just as bad as the hypothetical straw-man arguments to which you are referring. Too much division and extreme posturing out there these days, and very common on SSP, unfortunately.

That said, I agree that removing the drive-through for this particular site is a good idea, if it allows for more housing to be built. Your points about 'safety' and car-orientation are nothingburgers (see what I did there?) IMHO, but I do understand the standard ideas that go along with that particular ideology, and fully expect to see them being repeated here.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2023, 10:48 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It must be working for McDonald's if they decided to move into the new property. For the people who want a drive-through there is another McDonald's not far away on Mumford.

It's natural to transition away from drive-throughs as vehicle and pedestrian traffic increases. Eventually the theory is that the increased population density will offset the car traffic.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Their electoral prospects have been greatly reduced since the Carbon taxes have jumped 40 cents a liter.
Is it that much? The estimates that I have seen for the impact of the carbon tax on the price of a liter of gas range from 14 cents to 18 cents.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrdeeharharharbour View Post
Agree. But on the other hand, has the 'drive-thru' in general, helped keep the size of parking lots down?
Good point!

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
As far as cycling zealots and arch anti-automobile urbanists are concerned, those are mere trifling concerns of no relevance whatsoever. There is absolutely no excuse for the drive-thru, and they should be banned entirely throughout HRM, even in Sheet Harbour and Neecum Teuch.........
Geez...that's extreme

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It must be working for McDonald's if they decided to move into the new property. For the people who want a drive-through there is another McDonald's not far away on Mumford.

It's natural to transition away from drive-throughs as vehicle and pedestrian traffic increases. Eventually the theory is that the increased population density will offset the car traffic.
And Kempt Rd

Exactly, as Quinpool becomes more dense, it only makes sense that a more urban type McDonalds like the one on Spring Garden would be more appropriate there.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
In case you have not noticed the Liberals are in trouble especially here in Atlantic Canada. Their electoral prospects have been greatly reduced since the Carbon taxes have jumped 40 cents a liter. Vassey Kapelos of CTV news recently commented that she was very surprised at the negative comments from regular folks, Taxi drivers and hotel staff She met in Charlottetown during the recent Liberal caucus meeting. People that need fuel are stretched. I have noticed a 20% drop in activity of my building supply customers this Summer since July 1.If you are under 40 and do not own your own home yet, do you think you ever will? The Liberals are killing hope.

The climate issue and the taxes Guibault has demanded to punish folks has suddenly become a political choice issue. Folks mouth the "we have to do something" mantra but always think its someone else that will pay. A 40 cent jump in Gas prices makes folks look closely at the climate punishment taxes as the useless gesture it is. Until China and India agree to stop polluting no amount of self inflected pain here in West will make a difference. If you are a sentient being YOU KNOW THIS.

The carbon tax is not 40 cents a liter.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
The carbon tax is not 40 cents a liter.
Yet that is the jump in Gas prices since July 01, 2023. Who will pay that price electorally come the next vote? It is going to make everything more expensive
and already is. Has it mitigated the climate? No but it has made folks stay at home. I have news for you, people like to travel places for business and pleasure.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
Is it that much? The estimates that I have seen for the impact of the carbon tax on the price of a liter of gas range from 14 cents to 18 cents.
Gas has jumped 40 cents a litre since July 1 2023. There has not been a jump like that since we started coming out of Covid and the corresponding shortages.
The Government is starting to get a reputation of being out of touch and directly making things tougher . That is NOT a Governments job, they should be setting the conditions to make life easier and those that don't are soon not the Government.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 1:30 PM

Quote:
Yet that is the jump in Gas prices since July 01, 2023. Who will pay that price electorally come the next vote? It is going to make everything more expensive
and already is. Has it mitigated the climate? No but it has made folks stay at home. I have news for you, people like to travel places for business and pleasure.
For one thing gas hasn't gone up 40 cents. Also you do realize the price of oil on the world market has increased right? Its about around 90 a dollars barrel compared to few months ago when it was in the high 70's. So it is not all the carbon tax. Carbon tax is 14 cents. Has is mitigated the climate in the past few months?? no, don't think was intended to have an immediate effect. But long term it will. It will encourage people to change to less carbon polluting ways to live.

Last edited by Haliguy; Sep 23, 2023 at 2:03 PM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 1:56 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Geez...that's extreme
Are you talking about me or the cycling zealots.

I was being purposefully provocative.

FWIW, this particular McDonald's drive-thru was a PITA. I do not mourn it's demise.

I know this McDonald's well. It was my go to when I was at Dalhousie University whenever I needed a Big Mac fix. I always walked there. I don't recall ever using the drive-thru.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Are you talking about me or the cycling zealots.

I was being purposefully provocative.

FWIW, this particular McDonald's drive-thru was a PITA. I do not mourn it's demise.

I know this McDonald's well. It was my go to when I was at Dalhousie University whenever I needed a Big Mac fix. I always walked there. I don't recall ever using the drive-thru.
That one has been there for a very long time, since the '70s.

I remember back then when I was still living with my parents, we had a dog who liked going for rides in the car, so if I was only going to be at my destination for a short time I would take her with me. A few times I stopped at that McDs on the way home and would use the drive-thru. As you said, leaving there was a PITA. But if our dog was in the passenger seat I would always buy her a cheeseburger there so she could join me in a snack before getting home.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 4:24 PM

Quote:
For one thing gas hasn't gone up 40 cents. Also you do realize the price of oil on the world market has increased right? Its about around 90 a dollars barrel compared to few months ago when it was in the high 70's. So it is not all the carbon tax. Carbon tax is 14 cents. Has is mitigated the climate in the past few months?? no, don't think was intended to have an immediate effect. But long term it will. It will encourage people to change to less carbon polluting ways to live.
Gas was $1.41.6 in Cole Harbour June 30 2023. By the end of the first week of July on Saturday July 8 it had risen to 181.4. I drive for a living all over the region so believe me when I quote gas prices. Yes the war in Ukraine has had some impact, the Oil price fixing between the Kingdom and Putin has contributed. My point is our Federal Government piled on.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2023, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Gas was $1.41.6 in Cole Harbour June 30 2023. By the end of the first week of July on Saturday July 8 it had risen to 181.4. I drive for a living all over the region so believe me when I quote gas prices. Yes the war in Ukraine has had some impact, the Oil price fixing between the Kingdom and Putin has contributed. My point is our Federal Government piled on.
Gas this Spring hovered between 150 to 160 and very briefly went down under 150. Now its 175.2. Yes it added it on by 14 cents. Not great timing, but I do think it's necessary and we do get refunds for it. I do however think the refunds could be a bit more in rural areas.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General