HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I've got to say... I am old enough to clearly remember Zellers and it is not up there on my retail wish list.
Most of their stores were mediocre at best, but I quite liked their large (and newest for the region) store in Bayers Lake, which after the Target debacle now is a Canadian Tire. It had the space to offer their full assortment in an accessible manner and displayed their offerings well. They were a tiny cut above Walmart in terms of quality of goods and prices were generally competitive.

Interesting to me is that not only was the Target experiment there a total failure as was the entire chain's ill-advised excursion into Canada, but the subsequent takeover of that site by Canadian Tire resulted in an overly large store that is difficult to shop because of the sprawling size. It has the same problem as their Dartmouth Crossing store but worse. I tend to avoid both.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2021, 3:23 PM

Tesla is hiring for it's new store in Dartmouth.

Quote:
As a Tesla Advisor, you will support customers from the moment they walk into our showrooms to learn about Tesla through to their delivery day experience.

https://www.tesla.com/en_CA/careers/...lifax-ns-98498
Not sure where this will be located.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by connect2source View Post
Would make a lot of sense. HSC is a much stronger mall but perhaps it would be better to redevelop the old Eaton's into more flagship sized retail similar to the Zara, H&M and Apple parts of the mall.

Would be a great space for the likes of modern furniture retailers like EQ3, Crate & Barrel and CB2. I still think Simons would be a great fit too.
I drove by HSC this week and there seems to be some construction activity going on on the lower level and main floor exterior doors of the old Sears store. Didn't check the Mall 3nd floor entrance for signs construction.
It's a little late for Toys R Us this season especially with the squeeze on toy supply.
Might be the long rumoured Home Sense/Marshals.
I think The Bay would want to be back in Halifax in a more "downtown" location than in a suburban mall that they have no ownership in and no real reason to stay. I seem to recall that HBC had a position in Cambridge Properties before it became Ivanhoe Cambridge. HBC's value now is in their real estate holdings. On the HSC side I think they are over taking risks on Department Stores ala Eaton's and Sears.
I did have a lookie inside and it looks pretty gutted. I don't think that HSC would be doing anything there if they didn't have a tenant or tenants.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohaligo View Post
I think The Bay would want to be back in Halifax in a more "downtown" location than in a suburban mall that they have no ownership in and no real reason to stay.
Mic Mac Mall is "suburban"?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 1:44 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
Mic Mac Mall is "suburban"?
Yes, even HSC is somewhat suburban if you ask me. It's just barely on the peninsula.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Yes, even HSC is somewhat suburban if you ask me. It's just barely on the peninsula.
I don't think that's even remotely true. It perhaps could have been said that HSC was marginally "suburban" when it was built - in the early 60s. Not today, and not Mic Mac Mall either.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
I don't think that's even remotely true. It perhaps could have been said that HSC was marginally "suburban" when it was built - in the early 60s. Not today, and not Mic Mac Mall either.
Well, they aren't downtown malls either. Scotia Square was a downtown mall. The others, not so much.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:23 PM

Quote:
Well, they aren't downtown malls either. Scotia Square was a downtown mall. The others, not so much.
"Downtown" (or not) has nothing to do with it. The suggestion was that they were "suburban" - different discussion entirely.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:47 PM

I think the landscape and built environment surrounding both HSC and especially Mic Mac is pretty suburban, though both are within the regional centre. Maybe we need to distinguish between inner suburbs (like Clayton Park, say) versus the farther-flung ones (Sackville, Enfield, etc.) You hear this distinction a lot in Toronto, where Etobicoke or Scarborough are considered “inner” suburbs despite being part of the city of Toronto. But they’re clearly different from, for example, Whitby.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I think the landscape and built environment surrounding both HSC and especially Mic Mac is pretty suburban, though both are within the regional centre. Maybe we need to distinguish between inner suburbs (like Clayton Park, say) versus the farther-flung ones (Sackville, Enfield, etc.) You hear this distinction a lot in Toronto, where Etobicoke or Scarborough are considered “inner” suburbs despite being part of the city of Toronto. But they’re clearly different from, for example, Whitby.
However we want to parse it, I don't think there's any doubt that the areas around HSC and Mic Mac Mall are definitely "urban", going by the plain English meaning of the word.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 3:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
However we want to parse it, I don't think there's any doubt that the areas around HSC and Mic Mac Mall are definitely "urban", going by the plain English meaning of the word.
I can acquiesce to the concept of HSC being in an urban (non downtown) area of the city.

When I was living in Halifax (1980s), the area around HSC was definitely an older inner ring suburb. This affects my perception of the area. The area however has certainly urbanized in the last 30 years or so.

I will not budge on Mic Mac though. This is still a suburban mall to my mind, especially given it's location and relationship to the adjacent Circumferential Highway.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 4:26 PM

Quote:
I will not budge on Mic Mac though. This is still a suburban mall to my mind, especially given it's location and relationship to the adjacent Circumferential Highway.
Whether you "budge" is not my point. You're perfectly free to take whatever position you like, and I'm not trying to change your mind.

I'm just stating as matter of simple fact that Mic Mac Mall is in an urban area, and has been from the time it was built.

Perhaps you and I just don't agree on what the word "urban" means, but I think that resort to any dictionary would probably resolve that.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Oct 18, 2021 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Whether you "budge" is not my point. You're perfectly free to take whatever position you like, and I'm not trying to change your mind.

I'm just stating as matter of simple fact that Mic Mac Mall is in an urban area, and has been from the time it was built.

Perhaps you and I just don't agree on what the word "urban" means, but I think that resort to any dictionary would probably resolve that.
I think you could make a case for either. It does have more of suburban feel being right along the highway and not a lot of density right around it. However, there is a lot of built up density not to far away and becoming more dense all the time.

HSC has a more urban feel having quite a lot of density right around it and becoming much more dense over the past few years.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haliguy View Post
I think you could make a case for either. It does have more of suburban feel being right along the highway and not a lot of density right around it. However, there is a lot of built up density not to far away and becoming more dense all the time.

HSC has a more urban feel having quite a lot of density right around it and becoming much more dense over the past few years.
Whether an area is urban is a matter of fact, not feel.

To put it another way, an area may be urban without having an urban "feel".

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 6:44 PM

Quote:
Whether an area is urban is a matter of fact, not feel.

To put it another way, an area may be urban without having an urban "feel".
Well then Mic Mac Mall is suburban!

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 7:48 PM

Quote:
Well then Mic Mac Mall is suburban!
Not by any conventional definition of the word, it isn't.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 10:52 PM

By the way this conversation is going, it won't be long until downtown Dartmouth is deemed "suburban"...

Great discussion, guys!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Not by any conventional definition of the word, it isn't.
It's definitely what you would call inner suburban!

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 12:30 AM

Quote:
It's definitely what you would call inner suburban!
You guys really are complicating this unnecessarily. It's simple English, for crying out loud. By definition Mic Mac Mall is urban. So is HSC.

Would you try to characterize Point Pleasant Park as "rural" just because of its bucolic character? Of course not. That would be ridiculous. It's urban because of where it is, not because of what it's like.

Seriously...

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 12:55 AM

Quote:
You guys really are complicating this unnecessarily. It's simple English, for crying out loud. By definition Mic Mac Mall is urban. So is HSC.

Would you try to characterize Point Pleasant Park as "rural" just because of its bucolic character? Of course not. That would be ridiculous. It's urban because of where it is, not because of what it's like.

Seriously...
Whatever you think bud...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > General