HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Ugh, demolition delay for 42-46 E Superior again. Not sure what they are planning after Reilly axed the last proposal.
Does that mean all of these ...

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Anyone go to the opening of the merch mart lighting?
...does anyone know what time the event starts ?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2018, 10:35 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk113 View Post
...does anyone know what time the event starts ?
At sunset I believe, which is 6:30pm tonight.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 12:53 AM
The City

Quote:
Ugh, demolition delay for 42-46 E Superior again. Not sure what they are planning after Reilly axed the last proposal.
That's some nice historic fabric I would hate to lose

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 1:32 AM

Quote:
I've given up on River North. I would hate to see these buildings go but it wouldn't surprise me.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 2:04 AM

Art On The Mart

Not my video, but a look at the opening of Art On The Mart from this evening. Skip to 2:35 for the beginning of the presentation.

Video Link

src - youtube.com User - forvonus ababdon

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 2:50 AM

^ Pretty great. Can't wait to see it in real life..

Also there was a building permit issued earlier this week to replace little parking lot (and small 1 story building next to it) next to the 3 story building at the NW corner of Carpenter & Fulton Market across from Google with a new 5 story office building.

Source: Crains and SVN Chicago Commercial

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 5:54 AM

Art on the Mart is definitely one of those things that will get more interesting over time as more artists try to get their foot in the door and have their works projected up there. It was neat to see in person, but the most intriguing part was seeing how much potential there is for it down the line

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 2:03 PM
The City

^ Yeah, it’s one thing to watch it on a tiny video screen, but to see it in full scale in real life must be a whole different experience. Can’t wait for a chance to check it out

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 3:57 PM

This is so cool. The world's largest digital projection screen. Shows will be 5 days a week, 10 months a year, and paid for by Vornado with no advertising.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 5:31 PM
THAT Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Does that mean all of these ...
I believe these two.

Also more dorm construction for Loyola. Unfortunately, this one involves demolishing a relatively nice 9 story building for what sort of looks like a suburban retirement home (maybe it's the bad rendering).

Board of Trustees Votes Unanimously to Approve Construction of $47 Million Residence Hall

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 5:41 PM
The City

^ Bastards!

Still, it fills in that huge lot and adds a lot of density, I'm sure.

But still...

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 8:53 PM

Gross. That is a terrible, un-urban development too. The set back from the street is inexcusable. And it’s being built by a mediocre college with a small endowment, so the quality of construction isn’t going to be impressive either.
There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov

Old Posted Sep 30, 2018, 9:56 PM
Show me the blueprints

It doesn;t appear to be set back from the street anymore than the current building and we really don't have any evidence to suggest it will be built with substandard or cheap materials. It appears to be brick. It appears to be a somewhat pleasing composition. The 9 story structure is nice, and it's unfortunate it couldn't have been just incorporated somehow, but the interior layout was probably garbage and non-functional, so it's not the end of the world.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 1:45 AM

Wasn't sure where else to post these mediocre photos I took with my phone today after going to Petco today, but I was looking at our beautiful city and wondering what possible redevelopments, if at all could be done for these large swaths of land that are covered in power stations, transformers, and assorted rail yard equipment/supplies. Seems like this property on the river would be ever increasing in value, and I would not be surprised if they could consolidate these properties more efficiently to enable someone to build on the river, whether it be offices or residences.

Just a thought anyway...

Edit: I also just realized I can see the crane for that project on Wells that isn't a part of the Riverline development. Cool

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 1:57 AM
Chicago

Odyssey Chicago River

September 28, 2018

Quote:
The Odyssey Chicago River, a glitzy new 140-foot glass-enclosed vessel, is ready to go where no ship has gone before: serving expensive white-tablecloth dinners to boatloads of tourists and date-nighters on the city’s increasingly busy waterway.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...926-story.html

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 1:57 AM
Chicago

321 N Clark

September 28, 2018

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 1:58 AM

Also, I noticed a large water tower on top of an old stock department building, roughly 4 or 5 floors tall on the corner of Ashland and 47th... It was really cool looking and had the name of the old department store on the top of it. I heard the city is removing those water towers since they are safety hazards, if so, that's kind of sad :/

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.8085...7i13312!8i6656

Anyone know more about this building?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 2:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Gross. That is a terrible, un-urban development too. The set back from the street is inexcusable. And it’s being built by a mediocre college with a small endowment, so the quality of construction isn’t going to be impressive either.
This coming from a medicore forumer with a small "endowment", the quality of this post isn't inprssive either...

Go look at what Loyola has actually built, it's all high quality materials and construction. The style is generally pseudo pomo, but they are doing it to match the original campus buildings so it's understandable. The existing building is garbage, it's just concrete frame with a tiny bit of Terra Cotta decoration on front, but even that is incomplete and partially rebuilt with mismatched brick from a repair in the 60s. The units inside are mostly 1bd and studios and all are thouroughly outdated in both finish and layout not to mention infrastructure. This is a major upgrade in urban form and design.

Also your comments about the institution itself are elitist and not even accurate. Loyola isn't ivy league, but it's a top 100 national University and slowly moving towards top 50 status (hovering around 80 now). Also if you know the history of the institution you know that it nearly failed in the 90s so of course it doesn't have a huge endowment. They've been fighting their way back to being a highly respected school and they have made insane progress since 2000. They are back to being a huge asset to Chicago and have transformed the parts of Rogers Park directly adjacent to their campus over the past 10-15 years. Even the auto sewer of Sheridan between North Shore and Devon is unrecognizable after the lots along that stretch have been systematically eviscerated by Loyola.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2018, 2:15 AM

Family coming to visit in December and considering taking them on the Odyssey Dinner Cruise. If anyone can comment on the quality of food/experience in advance I'd appreciate it!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development