HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 2:29 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGII View Post
I think there will a 1000 footer in Bay Ridge! And Forest Hills will have supertalls!
Also I think the Bronx will overshadow downtown with skyscrapers! Wouldn't that be cool?
A supertall on every block - sounds like a campaign slogan...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 2:34 AM

Imagine a skyscraper popping out from a Central Park right from it middle point.That would be crazy but no keep central park the way it is i wish they could add more like forest look to it

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 2:35 AM

In light of the decision on the Tour Verre I question whether the next tallest would be welcome in midtown. It would have to be an exceptional design to go taller than the ESB.

I would like the next supertalls to be in Jersey City AND Brooklyn. So we have a three towers thing marking the entrance to the harbor. Jersey City is feasible. Brooklyn isn't. And forget about Staten Island.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 2:19 PM
don't *meddle*...

well, jersey city needs at least one supertall and i think the chances are not that bad. downtown brooklyn needs some 650ft+ skyscrapers before building a supertall. the development will take at least 10 years there.

the only chance i see a supertall coming up in NYC is on the west side, no NIMBYs there to shut a project down. but as many forumers mentioned before, we won't see a "big one" rising in this decade, except the giralsole and maybe tower verre. the hudson yards are a huge area to develop and imo a perfect place to build a supertall ... but still, we have to wait and see what the next years will bring.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 2:44 PM
Editor

Why subsided New York and the U.S. in building supertall structures, or even the world´s tallest towers? What a bummer!!!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 3:42 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucktown718 View Post
Imagine a skyscraper popping out from a Central Park right from it middle point.That would be crazy but no keep central park the way it is i wish they could add more like forest look to it
How about supertall trees in Central Park to match the city??? =D

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 3:57 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWorldTradeCenter View Post
Why subsided New York and the U.S. in building supertall structures, or even the world´s tallest towers? What a bummer!!!
the U.S. are still the largest economy power in the world. if they wanted to they could build 100 supertalls at once, but, unfortunately for us skyscraper fans, there is just no need to. just look at the sums being spent on military, research, economy etc. it's crazy...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 4:16 PM
Editor

However, 1 WTC will be the third tallest building in the world upon completion in 2013!

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 5:38 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^really? by what measure? pinnacle or roof?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the chances of one WTC being completed in 2013 are very low.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 5:43 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
^really? by what measure? pinnacle or roof?

I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the chances of one WTC being completed in 2013 are very low.
i share the same feelings, i even think shanghai tower will be finished before 1WTC.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 6:30 PM
Editor

By OFFICIAL HEIGHT of course. Height to the the highest point of the architecture. And will be complete in 2013, the Port Authority has promised that. It whould be a destaster for Chris Ward.

My personal list of the tallest buildings in 2013:

1.) Burj Khalifa- 828m
2.) Mecca Clock Royal Tower- 577m
3.) World Trade Center One- 541m
4.) Pentominium- 516m (if not complete in 2014)
5.) Taipiei 101- 508m
6.) Shanghai WFC- 492m
7.) International Commerce Center- 484m
8.) Petronas Towers- 452m
9.) Nanjing Tower- 450m
10.) Willis Tower- 442m

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 6:48 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Well I would imagine the whole MSG complex would be razed sooner rather than later, it's jaw-droppingly ugly and the current arena is outdated (being about the same age as the Spectrum currently being razed in Philadelphia).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 6:53 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Well I would imagine the whole MSG complex would be razed sooner rather than later, it's jaw-droppingly ugly and the current arena is outdated (being about the same age as the Spectrum currently being razed in Philadelphia).
What do you mean mit MSG? Madison Square Garden Towers? They will never be built...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 9:02 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
What do you mean mit MSG? Madison Square Garden Towers? They will never be built...
He's not talking about that specific proposal. There have been at least 5 different proposals for the destruction of MSG.

And I agree with him. It's absolutely horrible, inefficient, confusing, and incongruous with the incredibly high quality of most major architecture in the city.

Maybe, just maybe, we'll get a few supertalls and maybe maybe maybe we'll get a 2000 footer. Wishful thinking.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 10:11 PM
Editor

I hope, or 3000 foorter. However. I hope 1WTC will hold the title for a long time and will remain a long time in the world´s top-ten list.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2010, 10:55 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
I hope, or 3000 foorter. However. I hope 1WTC will hold the title for a long time and will remain a long time in the world´s top-ten list.
I never understood people's obsession with ridiculously gigantic buildings that make no economic sense and destroy the scale of the city... For me, the magic height is around 1600-1700 to the roof. One can relate to the size, they can still maintain large floor areas; Taipei 101 and the Hong Kong IFC are perfect examples of this. That building in Mecca would crack that list as well if it didn't have that disorienting clock tower.

But to each his own, back to the topic.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 1:46 AM

Honestly, You all act like skyscrapers are what the world revolves around.
I don't think anyone would care if the US had the tallest again or not.

Tall "pretty" buildings are not what make a great city.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 2:30 PM
All-American City Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
Honestly, You all act like skyscrapers are what the world revolves around.
I don't think anyone would care if the US had the tallest again or not.

Tall "pretty" buildings are not what make a great city.
This entire website is dedicated to skyscrapers. Hence all the talk about skyscrapers. The world does not revolve around them, but this website does...

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 2:36 PM
Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffstuff129 View Post
I never understood people's obsession with ridiculously gigantic buildings that make no economic sense and destroy the scale of the city... For me, the magic height is around 1600-1700 to the roof. One can relate to the size, they can still maintain large floor areas; Taipei 101 and the Hong Kong IFC are perfect examples of this. That building in Mecca would crack that list as well if it didn't have that disorienting clock tower.

But to each his own, back to the topic.
In the human´s history there has ever been a progress. So there is no "magic height". It´s possible to built such a tall one, have look at Burj Dubai. And I´m sure, this is not the last of all record holders. The next worlds tallest building will reach over 1000 Meters (3,281ft).

Old Posted Jan 22, 2010, 7:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomrQT View Post
This entire website is dedicated to skyscrapers. Hence all the talk about skyscrapers. The world does not revolve around them, but this website does...
yes but, does it really matter who has the tallest building, that fact that humans can make these things are mind boggling.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture