HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 4:15 AM

Miami: New Downtown Wolfson campus (WOW!)

Problem: Design a large building that will share a site with one of Miami's most famous buildings (Freedom Tower), without taking that building out of the skyline.

Solution:
A mixed used building that will house a large expansion of Miami City College's downtown Wolfson Campus, including a bookstore, classrooms, and atheltic facility. It will feature 146,000 square feet of retail space, including a House of Blues resturaunt. The project also includes nearly 800,000 of affordable rental apartments, all of which will be studios or 1-bedrooms (total 1,142 units). There will also be a 270,000 square foot midrange hotel, 250,000 square feet of office space, and a 41,000 square foot open air plaza on the third floor. A rarity for Miami, parking will be underground. The design literally "frames" Miami's most historic skyscraper in view as people approach it from the bay or on Biscayne Boulavard. Designed by Oppenheim.

Not the first of its style, but, AFAIK, the first in North America like this.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 4:25 AM
▓▒░

Yeah...I'm pretty sure this will overshadow a tower one fifth its size. And even if it wasn't incredibly eye-catching, a standard pair of towers would have had the same result.

Regardless it is pretty nice, I'll admit. In fact it's probably the nicest of the giant-arch designs around the world, except maybe for Tuntex 85 Sky Tower in Taipei. Really nice renderings too.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 5:06 AM
drifting away

holy crap! that thing looks amazing/crazy! is that a swimming pool on the top floor in the last pic?

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 5:41 AM

uhm, wow. wow.

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 11:36 PM

Stunning!!!! The arch idea isn't new, but this building sure has taken a fresh approach with it. I love the way the facade appears to be distorted as it makes its way around the building. The best part is the amazing way this building meets the street! It is unlike anything I have ever seen!

Old Posted May 10, 2007, 11:39 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

Reminds me a lot of the CCTV building (in Beijing) designed by Koolhaas.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 2:50 AM
Endless Moments...

Wow, that is a really awesome building. I like it. How tall is it suppose to be. Either way it will really stand out...

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 3:06 AM

I love it! Particuarlly that swimming pool on the top floor and how it looks from street level. Such innovative and original use of space in a mixed use building!

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 3:34 AM
Dig-it

[quote=MAH4546;2825667]
The project also includes nearly 800,000 of affordable rental apartments, all of which will be studios or 1-bedrooms (total 1,142 units). There will also be a 270,000 square foot midrange hotel,
[quote]

Great concept and very interesting architecture. But 1,142 one bedroom units?? with a midrange hotel ( I assume Motel 6 type)??, this thing will turn into a low income, high turnover, transient "project" at best. Maybe re-think the "target market".

disregard the above rant:
I missed the part about it being a "campus" and thought it was a new condominium development.

Last edited by TwoFace; May 11, 2007 at 3:43 AM. Reason: error

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 4:46 AM

[QUOTE=TwoFace;2827969][quote=MAH4546;2825667]
The project also includes nearly 800,000 of affordable rental apartments, all of which will be studios or 1-bedrooms (total 1,142 units). There will also be a 270,000 square foot midrange hotel,
Quote:

Great concept and very interesting architecture. But 1,142 one bedroom units?? with a midrange hotel ( I assume Motel 6 type)??, this thing will turn into a low income, high turnover, transient "project" at best. Maybe re-think the "target market".

disregard the above rant:
I missed the part about it being a "campus" and thought it was a new condominium development.
Motel-6 would be low-range, and a motel, not a hotel. Mid-range is something like Radisson or DoubleTree. By "affordable rental", it doesn't mean low income. We are likely talking $1,200-$1,500/month.

Old Posted May 11, 2007, 5:14 AM
Future God

That is absolutely insane!!!!! I fucking love it!

-Bob Marley

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 1:51 AM

That is amazing!, is this a proposal still or is this going to happen?!

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 2:01 AM

whoooaaaaa

I especially like it because the bracing reminds me of my latest architecture project.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 3:34 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilon Doomm View Post
Yeah...I'm pretty sure this will overshadow a tower one fifth its size. And even if it wasn't incredibly eye-catching, a standard pair of towers would have had the same result.

Regardless it is pretty nice, I'll admit. In fact it's probably the nicest of the giant-arch designs around the world, except maybe for Tuntex 85 Sky Tower in Taipei. Really nice renderings too.
the tuntex 85 skytower is in Kaoshiung not Taipei

it looks just like the CCTV except the CCTY is way more awesome and way better looking. maybe these designers tried to copy the concept of the CCTV

this new one looks too fat at the top
its a nice building but im not sure i like it in miami
move it to Dubai where all the ridiculous towers are being built

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 4:45 AM

As far as we know this is part of a bid for the community college.
If I had to I call it, I'd label it "visionary", but I would not be suprised to see it switched to "proposed" sometime soon.

Old Posted May 12, 2007, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Reminds me a lot of the CCTV building (in Beijing) designed by Koolhaas.
It actually looks like the cctv building done right.

Old Posted May 13, 2007, 3:46 AM

Wow, Miami development is going insane! I checked construction/proposal diagrams for Miami, and buildings are popping up like popcorn.

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 1:42 PM
Everywhere all at once

'nuff said

Old Posted May 14, 2007, 11:29 PM

I don't care too much for its opening in the middle, that's been done before, but what's truly amazing is the reason for that opening, as well as the fine detailing of the project. I love the features at the base that integrate grass on actual building walls, an integral element of college campuses. Facade grid is not random, like on that similar Beijing project, but more or less responds to the structure. Finally, the two towers (which, in their midsections, allow for extra sunlight/views to different floors) reconnect at the top, creating great space for the college community. Funny thing, just a few days ago I was thinking of a good scheme to put up a highrise college building, but couldn't think of a good overall design. This building pretty much answers my question. As much as I don't really care about going to a college just because of its architecture, I would love to go to a university with a building like that.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 12:12 AM

^ community college.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture