HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 8:10 AM
Future God

Great thread! Looking good Raleigh. It looks so different than it did when I was there just eight years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Can people on these board post pictures without making juvenile comments about politics? Liberals use politics as their religion. Please, you don't like Republicans...we get it.
Or, hey, maybe you could stop making whiny juvenile comments about the commentary someone gives their own photos in their own photo thread.

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 2:39 PM

Quote:
it's less expensive to live than Raleigh
How is it less expensive in Atlanta than Raleigh?

Quote:
Can people on these board post pictures without making juvenile comments about politics? Liberals use politics as their religion. Please, you don't like Republicans...we get it.
Any reasonable person can see that the GOP is setting back NC decades. Hell, even the business community is saying "what the hell?" It's staggering to see what they are doing and yes it is juvenileindeed.

I enjoyed the tour and like the mix old and new.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 2:53 PM
A gruff individual.

Location: Greenville, SC - "Birthplace of the light switch rave"
Quote:
This is my state, and my state capital. I am affected by the policies being put into place in North Carolina and as such, I may say whatever the hell I please, for while the GOP is doing all it can to destroy the right to vote, it has yet to take serious aim at the right to free speech. If you don't like it, you may fold it into corners and sit on it.

That being said, I am a liberal expressly because of my religion. If you worship a god who ignores the poor, promotes injustice, and who is all in favor of destroying the world that was gifted to us, then you and I don't worship the same god.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Aug 31, 2013, 5:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
How is it less expensive in Atlanta than Raleigh?
This information is very easy to find. Look it up.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Austinlee - But I must apologize, coming from the HQ city of PNC: I'm SORRY for that PNC tower! It looks confused. Is it an office building or a condo building? It just looks ugly....

This was built by Toronto's RBC Bank, and yeah, it is a mixed use condo/office building.

PNC took over their operations in the Southeast last year, so they inherited this.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 6:07 AM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaguy View Post
This was built by Toronto's RBC Bank, and yeah, it is a mixed use condo/office building.

PNC took over their operations in the Southeast last year, so they inherited this.
That building is kind of a mess, but there's something endearing about it. I don't know why, but I like it.
"To sustain the life of a large, modern city in this cloying, clinging heat is an amazing achievement. It is no wonder that the white men and women in Greenville walk with a slow, dragging pride, as if they had taken up a challenge and intended to defy it without end." -- Rebecca West for The New Yorker, 1947

Old Posted Sep 2, 2013, 9:20 PM

Great tour. I stopped in Raleigh on my way back to Jax from DC last month. Two areas I liked that weren't included in this thread are the warehouse district and Glenwood South. Both have come quite a long way since my previous visit in 2008. I look forward to seeing how Raleigh evolves over the next few years.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2013, 1:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themaguffin View Post
Any reasonable person can see that the GOP is setting back NC decades. Hell, even the business community is saying "what the hell?" It's staggering to see what they are doing and yes it is juvenileindeed.
I'm curious to know which policies, specifically, are setting NC back decades and why you think so?

On an un-related topic, I'm also wondering why I'm seeing quotes from posts that are apparently no longer present in this thread, but I suppose that's more a question for the moderators. Odd that these would be deleted but equally inflammatory posts are left untouched.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 1:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
That building is kind of a mess, but there's something endearing about it. I don't know why, but I like it.
Its a coffice. The condo-office concept.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 3:05 AM
reticulating splines

That RBC tower just looks like a Ramada Inn on steroids and high on something else that makes it think it's an office tower. The "robot tower" (BB&T) I always thought was an interesting building.

Some interesting shots here, perspectives and such. Good eye. I lived near Raleigh for awhile, right before I started doing the photography thing. I'd go back. For a visit.

Check out: Dayton - Columbus - DC - New Orleans - West Virginia - Annapolis - Dallas - Houston - Austin - Indianapolis - Pittsburgh

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon716 View Post
Its a coffice. The condo-office concept.
lol. that's a couple of letters from coffer - as in "living and working in the same building sucks, i have to get out of this coffer!"

raleigh looks like a bonafide big city.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
lol. that's a couple of letters from coffer - as in "living and working in the same building sucks, i have to get out of this coffer!"

raleigh looks like a bonafide big city.
LOL! But seriously - for those that don't require a BIG city, the Triangle is a nice place.

Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and the surrounding metro have a lot going for them, and collectively the area does pretty much function as a big city. Lot's of charm, many major city amenities, beautiful Piedmont location, a pretty solid and diversified economy, major Airport with decent selection of flights (including a daily nonstop to London), a couple of fantastic Universities, etc.

I can think of many worse places to be.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 12:09 PM
Old Fart Forumer

Well I don't care if people call me artsy-fartsy, I liked the tour. Thanks hh.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Sep 6, 2013, 11:08 PM
A gruff individual.

if my wrist was not broken i would respond in depth to everyone, but thanks for looking.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddA View Post
A great collection of pictures, but would have been far nicer without the unnecessary political commentary.
I totally agree...I liked the photos but actually stopped halfway through because of the immature sarcasm and unnecessary comments. Not that I don't agree with some of them, but they took the joy out of the thread.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 8:53 PM

Imagine that comments in a forum.

I mean that seriously. This is a forum.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 10:40 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelJ View Post
I totally agree...I liked the photos but actually stopped halfway through because of the immature sarcasm and unnecessary comments. Not that I don't agree with some of them, but they took the joy out of the thread.
i advise you to consider my suggestion to jtown. alternately, if it upsets you that badly, i'm willing to lie and say that i entertain explicit sexual fantasies about rush limbaugh and all of the koch brothers -- all at the same time -- if that will make you feel better.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
i advise you to consider my suggestion to jtown. alternately, if it upsets you that badly, i'm willing to lie and say that i entertain explicit sexual fantasies about rush limbaugh and all of the koch brothers -- all at the same time -- if that will make you feel better.
This. You are so immature dude. Grow up.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
It should have been left alone to begin with. He posted the photos and made comments. If one doesn't like the commentary, they can move on. Jesus, it's not that hard.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2013, 11:01 PM
A gruff individual.

Quote:
my thread, my thoughts, my right to write them. don't like it? too bad. i hate what the gop is doing to what used to be the least stupid and backward of the southern states. don't expect me to like being dragged back to the 50's. my mother already lived through them once and tells me they weren't all that much fun for anyone who wasn't a rich, white, straight male.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos