HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 20, 2012, 4:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
Also, aren't there some big bridges down near the port?
Yes, the three largest bridges in the area. The Vincent Thomas suspension bridge is within the LA city limits and is the largest suspension bridge in southern California, and right next to it are two more gigantic bridges in Long Beach city limits, the Commodore Schuyler F Helms draw bridge, and the Gerald Desmond through-arch bridge. It's an impressive industrial setting with these big bridges all surrounded by over 130 gigantic gantry cranes of the port.

The Gerald Desmond bridge was completed in 1968 but is already scheduled to be replaced with the longest cable-stay bridge in California by 2016. The arch bridge wasn't designed to handle the current traffic load of trucks going in and out of the port area.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2012, 11:32 PM

Remember in the movie Drive, when Ryan Gosling takes his neighbor on a date and they drive down the LA River to an oasis and have a picnic. That was cool.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 1:11 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Love the Washington Avenue bridge, next to the railroad bridge. When I was in college I used to drive around LA at night after I'd finished studying, and found the Washington bridge the coolest of the bunch to hang out on--you know, wait for a big train to roll on by, etc.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos