HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Jul 1, 2020, 9:05 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comoneymaker View Post
Dirt is being moved at Evans and I-25 where the old motel was. They also demoed the apartments.com building. Big dirt lot. Anyone know what is going in?
This I believe:

More than 500 new homes and buildings up to 8 stories tall planned for University Hills sites

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 4:34 PM

This is Denver's 20 year master plan for parks and public spaces. IMO converting some of parking Coors Field has would be a great opportunity that would provide another big park downtown, and motivate more residential development in the area. It's a fun read, especially for anyone having an indoor holiday from potential covid exposure. Stay safe out there.

https://www.denvergov.org/content/da...Plan-FINAL.pdf

Last edited by DenvertoLA; Jul 3, 2020 at 4:56 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 7:15 PM

Matt - love the photos

I can't help pausing on the 2nd shot (or the 6th) b/c of the perspective and b/c I still enjoy gazing at 1144 15th street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONative View Post
Johnson & Wales University-Denver will be NO MORE as of this time next year. The campus just a few blocks from Stapleton in south Park Hill has a few very beautiful historic buildings and is a pretty decent looking campus. No matter what happens, a couple of buildings will have to stay because they are historically registered or have historical significance. Another Loretto Heights? Mixed-use with affordable and market-rate housing? It is across the street from the somewhat prestigious Denver School of the Arts High School, so not everything can go there.

https://denverite.com/2020/06/25/joh...-denver-campus
Another Loretto Heights does sound apropos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ich View Post
Do you think one of the other universities might use it? I heard a rumor that both DU and CSU wanted to start their own med school program
I wouldn't rule it out.

For example, while ASU has 55,000 students at its main campus in Tempe it also has a total of 75,000 students including 3 other satellite sites so there has to be opportunity for continuing its education profile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemachs View Post
I also find it to be a beautiful hidden gem of a campus (I live nearby currently), hope whomever takes it over will maintain the quad/open space...it would be hard to appreciate Centennial Hall without it.

Photo courtesy of Kevin J. Beaty/Denverite

Agree it's a gem and while housing opportunities beckon my urge to preserve is also 'high'. DenvertoLA's timely posting of the parks and public spaces master plan suggests other interesting opportunities as well.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2020, 9:45 PM
Fast. Fun. Frequent.

2020 claimed my camera so I had to get a new one. Here's some skyline candy for you guys. Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy during this crazy time!

Latest Photo Threads: Los Angeles | New Orleans | Denver: 2014 Megathread | Denver Time-Lapse Project For more photos check out: My Website and My Flickr Photostream

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 8:24 PM

Fantastic pics. Thank You.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanD View Post
2020 claimed my camera so I had to get a new one.
I hate it when stuff like that happens. Causes me sleepless nights.

You take the best shots at night or low-light times of the day which are always some of my favorite type of photos. In fact one of your pics still serves as the background for my desktop.

That has to be one of the nicest architectural boxes I have seen. At least the rendering is very impressive IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenvertoLA View Post
This is Denver's 20 year master plan for parks and public spaces. IMO converting some of parking Coors Field has would be a great opportunity that would provide another big park downtown, and motivate more residential development in the area. It's a fun read, especially for anyone having an indoor holiday from potential covid exposure. Stay safe out there.

https://www.denvergov.org/content/da...Plan-FINAL.pdf
Couple of quibbles.

First of all 'they' don't date the damn thing. I know... I'm sure they feel their work is timeless but by habit, the first thing I look for is the date. It's just "professional' to date your work IMO. Admittedly, it wasn't that hard to peg the timing.

Second, I was going to suggest next time linking to the 'Executive Summary' but this is where things start to get complicated. I quickly found the updated 'Game Plan' for a healthy city but that's very different.

With additional searching the named "The Outdoor Downtown Plan" was initiated by the 'Downtown Denver Partnership' in 2015 in collaboration with the 'Denver Parks and Rec' and released to the public October of 2017.

Pros and Cons
Quote:
59.6% of online survey respondents reported that they avoid downtown outdoor spaces because they feel uncomfortable.
How sad is that and the 'homeless' problem has only gotten worse since 2017.

On the plus side, anything to do with green/park or public space is desirable by definition. Managing it properly is the challenge.

Good News

As the city center and adjacent neighborhoods have grown, significant money has been invested in open space. Think of the improvements along the Platte River including the pending improvements into RiNo and then the National Western Center. Other green space has and is being created as a result of flood and drainage control. These enhancements are indeed a really Big Plus in my book.

Do I want more? Always!

Old Posted Jul 5, 2020, 7:07 PM

Yeah I tried to find the date too but gave up. Also page numbers on that document suck

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 7:10 PM

This is great news for building more density around Colorado Station. Now just need to upzone and redevelop the Freeway Ford dealership and RTD lots along Evans. That could eventually be an impressive TOD.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2020, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
I hate it when stuff like that happens. Causes me sleepless nights.

You take the best shots at night or low-light times of the day which are always some of my favorite type of photos. In fact one of your pics still serves as the background for my desktop.

That has to be one of the nicest architectural boxes I have seen. At least the rendering is very impressive IMO.

Couple of quibbles.

First of all 'they' don't date the damn thing. I know... I'm sure they feel their work is timeless but by habit, the first thing I look for is the date. It's just "professional' to date your work IMO. Admittedly, it wasn't that hard to peg the timing.

Second, I was going to suggest next time linking to the 'Executive Summary' but this is where things start to get complicated. I quickly found the updated 'Game Plan' for a healthy city but that's very different.

With additional searching the named "The Outdoor Downtown Plan" was initiated by the 'Downtown Denver Partnership' in 2015 in collaboration with the 'Denver Parks and Rec' and released to the public October of 2017.

Pros and Cons

How sad is that and the 'homeless' problem has only gotten worse since 2017.

On the plus side, anything to do with green/park or public space is desirable by definition. Managing it properly is the challenge.

Good News

As the city center and adjacent neighborhoods have grown, significant money has been invested in open space. Think of the improvements along the Platte River including the pending improvements into RiNo and then the National Western Center. Other green space has and is being created as a result of flood and drainage control. These enhancements are indeed a really Big Plus in my book.

Do I want more? Always!
I thought of this as I rode my bike along the Sand Creek trailway yesterday. It’s more than just a trail. There is a lot of adjacent land that is unused and not maintained. I would think adding some earthen embankments to hide the highway, this could be a park oasis on the northern part of Denver. As it is now, it feels sketchy passing through. Broken pathways, litter, and the noise pollution from the roads. But, hopefully it can be improved.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 2:29 PM
sidewalkin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzdude View Post
I thought of this as I rode my bike along the Sand Creek trailway yesterday. It’s more than just a trail. There is a lot of adjacent land that is unused and not maintained. I would think adding some earthen embankments to hide the highway, this could be a park oasis on the northern part of Denver. As it is now, it feels sketchy passing through. Broken pathways, litter, and the noise pollution from the roads. But, hopefully it can be improved.
Sand Creek runs though three cities which can make coordinating the trail completion a challenge. Thanks to the bond, Denver will finally pave the last dirt sections this year. Aurora plans to keep crusher fines because horses.
For 20 years Sand Creek Greenway has been improving the entire stretch from Aurora Sports Park to the Platte.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 4:14 PM

https://businessden.com/2020/07/07/d...nder-contract/

Kairoi is looking at a large TOD development elsewhere near downtown instead, so I'm don't think this can be attributed to Covid.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyboy733 View Post
https://businessden.com/2020/07/07/d...nder-contract/

Kairoi is looking at a large TOD development elsewhere near downtown instead, so I'm don't think this can be attributed to Covid.
Buzz Geller definitely a greater threat to development than COVID. In fact I think his business model might be to just collect fees from potential developers to hold properties under contract.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2020, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert.hampton View Post
Buzz Geller definitely a greater threat to development than COVID. In fact I think his business model might be to just collect fees from potential developers to hold properties under contract.
Buzz Geller's business model aside, I suspect this came down to a few things. Kairoi Res. did make two stabs at pleasing the LDDRB gods. They may just have tired of chasing their fuzzy preferences.

In May the Austin Business Journal reported that Kairoi jumped on land that suddenly become available.
Quote:
More high-rise apartments may soon be built on the west side of downtown Austin by a developer already building Austin's next tallest tower.
San Antonio-based multifamily developer Kairoi Residential on March 9 purchased a quarter-block along West Sixth and Rio Grande streets, CEO Michael Lynd said.
Additionally, Kairoi is till partnering with Lincoln Property on Austin's new tallest, a 66-story tower that is reported to be under construction.

It's not that they don't still like Denver but timing, opportunities etc.

Image courtesy Kairoi via Mile High CRE

Newly Completed Park 17 Apartments Open in Uptown
June 29, 2020 - Mile High CRE
Quote:
Luxury apartment community, Park 17, recently opened in Denver’s beautiful Uptown neighborhood. Kairoi Residential — a premier, vertically integrated, multifamily investment, development and property management company – recently began leasing the multi-story, 190-unit “boutique chic” to new residents.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 3:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzdude View Post
It's been (quite) awhile since I've traveled along Sand Creek. At the time "spontaneous encampments" did not exist. Accessing it in Aurora it has that nice prairie grass feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Park View Post
Sand Creek runs though three cities which can make coordinating the trail completion a challenge. Thanks to the bond, Denver will finally pave the last dirt sections this year. Aurora plans to keep crusher fines because horses.
For 20 years Sand Creek Greenway has been improving the entire stretch from Aurora Sports Park to the Platte.
I once imagined a new metro transportation tax which would have included something like $30 million a year for riparian preservation and improvements including trails. It would have provided a dedicated funding source which could have made a significant difference over time.

Actually, I don't know why the powers-that-be have never considered a metro-wide funding approach to riparian preservation and trails in general. It would be a tiny tax in the big scheme of things.

Last edited by TakeFive; Jul 8, 2020 at 3:29 AM.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 5:20 AM

I’d like to see Kairoi build a real high rise in Denver like they are currently building in Austin. I don’t understand why a smaller metro like Austin can get all of these new high rises but Denver cannot unless the land/construction prices are just too expensive here.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 4:26 PM
[sub]urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
This is great news for building more density around Colorado Station. Now just need to upzone and redevelop the Freeway Ford dealership and RTD lots along Evans. That could eventually be an impressive TOD.
Careful what you wish for with RTD at the helm...RTD has a vibrant history of redeveloping transit adjacent lots into....car lots!!! VW at Alameda Station...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 6:00 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laniroj View Post
Careful what you wish for with RTD at the helm...RTD has a vibrant history of redeveloping transit adjacent lots into....car lots!!! VW at Alameda Station...
Didn't RTD sell that lot to D4 Urban that then turned around to sell it to Emich VW after failing to get any kind of semi-mixed use development on the parcel. Not sure if I'd blame RTD for what when in. Then again, the location sucks so hard from an infrastructure perspective that I don't what kind of mixed-use concept would work on that corner without significant public investment going in to address the deficiencies.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jul 8, 2020, 8:42 PM

This one is funded and the money is getting moldy

Denver selects new Colorado Convention Center contractor following bid-rigging investigation
Jul 8, 2020 By Kourtney Geers – Managing Editor, Denver Business Journal
Quote:
A number of months after construction was set to begin and following accusations of bid-rigging by other contractors, Greeley-based Hensel Phelps Construction has been recommended by the City and County of Denver to move forward with designing and building the Colorado Convention Center expansion.
Honestly, the 'bid-rigging' is old news but remind me what the improvements are.
Quote:
The $233 million expansion involves the addition of an 80,000-square-foot multifunction meeting space, a 50,000-square-foot rooftop terrace and lower-level lobby renovations aimed to make Denver more competitive for attracting gatherings. Denver will enter into negotiations with Hensel Phelps and expects to bring a contract to Denver City Council for approval in coming months, according to a news release from the city on Tuesday.

"The project, anticipated to be completed in late 2023, will expand one of the largest buildings in Denver, while ensuring it can continue to operate during construction and will play a key role in Denver’s economic recovery from the Covid-19 pandemic," the city's release said.
NOTE: In hindsight, the timing works well. While I've yet to hear of constructions costs dropping, at the least, costs should be 'restrained'. The expansion is modest but the overall enhancements and upgrades will be welcomed. Not mentioned but IIRC tech upgrades are also a prominent objective.

Good chance that the days of ever larger convention centers is over and wasted money. But enhancements which make the CCC more sexy should serve the future well.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wong21fr View Post
Didn't RTD sell that lot to D4 Urban that then turned around to sell it to Emich VW after failing to get any kind of semi-mixed use development on the parcel. Not sure if I'd blame RTD for what when in. Then again, the location sucks so hard from an infrastructure perspective that I don't what kind of mixed-use concept would work on that corner without significant public investment going in to address the deficiencies.
If my memory serves me correctly you are correct - the VW dealership was built because D4 felt the property would not be good for mixed-use without pedestrian infrastructure that the city would need to build but would not commit to.

I have recently learned that RTD has a policy of never selling their land without a guarantee that the parking spaces developed will be replaced. It is their position that these parking spaces were an important part of the bid for federal money each time they have built a transit line. They are worried that to remove these spaces would renege on these grants. I am unconvinced that this is correct (would the feds somehow make them give the money back if they developed the parking lots?) but I'm no expert on how this works.

I do wonder how bankruptcy of the entire organization would affect this position. Surely the land that RTD owns is a MAJOR component of their financial assets.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2020, 5:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
I have recently learned that RTD has a policy of never selling their land without a guarantee that the parking spaces developed will be replaced. It is their position that these parking spaces were an important part of the bid for federal money each time they have built a transit line.
This is my understanding as well. PLANSIT is more of an authority on FTA process, requirements and stipulations but from what he has said in the past RTD's position sounds like the real deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr1138 View Post
I do wonder how bankruptcy of the entire organization would affect this position. Surely the land that RTD owns is a MAJOR component of their financial assets.
I believe this is more of an "Urban Myth". Unless you're talking about RTD literally tearing out all their tracks, with very few exceptions is any of their land worth all that much.

Some potential TOD sites would have value and RTD has indeed already sold off some of that land as you noted.

When it comes to light rail ridership, Park N Rides are a key component. Take Nine Mile Station, for example, which is one of the busiest suburban stations. I'll estimate that roughly 45% of the ridership come from their large 1225 space Parking structure and another 45% comes from their connecting ten plus bus 'hub' routes. Suburban stations with few bus routes feeding into the station are even more dependent on parking for ridership. You can't have nice stations everywhere and there's nothing wrong with "Kiss and Ride" stations but their ridership is (currently) low.

Despite conventional wisdom, there are many riders that don't care to walk to the station like women and guys for various reasons but often centered around security so even in more urban locations parking creates ridership.

A lot of RTD's 'excess' land certainly has value - but not very much. In many cases who the hell is even interested in many of those locations? Anyone; Bueller?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West