HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 1:34 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Strip club being redeveloped
Dartmouth's Sensations building may be replaced by offices

The Dartmouth, N.S., building that once housed a controversial strip club is being gutted and signs indicate it may be replaced with an office building.

Sensations Cabaret on Wyse Road opened in the face of protests in January 2006. Neighbours said the club would attract unsavory clientele.

Sensations faced numerous complaints before the Utility and Review Board. Its liquor license was suspended in July 2006 after the board ruled the club had defied orders to get rid of sexually explicit entertainment.

The board banned all adult entertainment at the club and suspended its liquor license for 45 days

Owner Javis Roberts said then that he would turn it into a "bring your own beer" private club with nude dancing.

Roberts died in November 2006 at age 45 and the club closed shortly after.

A sign on the building Thursday said the site is being redeveloped by DTZ Barnicke and carried an image of an office building.

The developers did not return the CBC's phone calls requesting more information and area councillor Jim Smith said the sign is the only clue he has as to the future of the site.

"I put a call in to the development officer for HRM and I haven't heard back," he said Thursday. "Of all the uses that it could be, that's probably one of the ones that local residents might approve of. There was concern it might be developed into another lounge."

Smith also said he would call DTZ Barnicke to see what the company plans.

Warren Wright, who said he has lived in the area his entire life, said he was pleased to see signs Sensations would be replaced.

"It was not liked at all. We have schools up here, a playground down there. Even when the women used to go out walking, they were scared because people were thinking they were prostitutes," he said Thursday.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scotia...ns-office.html

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 4:19 PM

That would be great for the area! I wonder how big it is? I'll try and go by the site sometime over the weekend and see what that sign looks like.

From today's Herald.

Expert urges downtown facelift

By CHRIS LAMBIE Business Editor

An internationally renowned ur ban design expert took a swipe at Halifax on Thursday for its blank walls and unfriendly walking areas.

Carol Coletta, president of CEOs for Cities in Chicago, wad ed into the debate about down town Barrington Street’s ghost town-like appearance while speaking to several hundred peo ple at a luncheon organized by the Greater Halifax Partnership.

“I want to point out blank walls are not so good for vibrant down towns," Coletta said.

“You want to make sure that the central city is radiating energy to the rest of the region."

She said she sees “too many blank walls" in Halifax.

That includes “not just empty lots, but also those buildings that seem to be occupied but are just not very friendly, at a first-floor level, to walkers," Coletta said.

“They’re not very interesting or (they don’t) add vibrancy."

She had a brief chance to check out the city before her talk.

“I did see some fairly formida ble walking areas — areas that would not attract many people to walk beside them.

“If you’re trying to increase vi brancy in a downtown, one of the things you must have is a walk able downtown."

By blank walls, Coun. Peter Lund (Hammonds Plains-St. Mar garets) said he assumed Coletta was talking about “all those emp ty lots in downtown Halifax."

When a building comes down and a developer wins approval for a new project to proceed, “the lots tend to sit there for many, many years before they get developed upon,mainlybased on economic" conditions, Lund said.

He asked Coletta to suggest al ternatives to empty parking lots, which Lund referred to as “a bit of an eyesore."

“Should we be considering greening them in, in the mean time, to create places where peo ple can stop, park benches or something to make it more attrac tive?"

he said. Coletta pointed out that Port land, Ore., “has done a fabulous job in (it’s) downtown with food carts."

“They have a number of park ing lots in downtown Portland that are lined with food carts, with food mobiles. So they pop up in certain hours of the day and then they go away or they’re closed. It’s a great way for entre preneurs to get into business at a low cost."

Coletta also took issue with the Halifax Regional Municipality, or HRM, label after she was ques tioned about how the city could improve its brand. The city’s working name has been hotly de bated at city hall.

A city’s brand should focus on what makes the place distinct, Co letta said.

“HRM — I don’t know what that means," she said.

“I think regionalism makes so much sense because economies are regional and environments are regional. It makes sense to think regionally. But I also think that, in thinking regionally, what we need to understand is things like HRM, to the rest of the world, mean nothing."

She garnered applause and laughter for that comment.

After the talk, Mayor Peter Kelly said the city has approved more than $3 million in spending to help rejuvenate Barrington Street.

“It is the businesses that need to open the doors and open up that space and make it welcoming."

A proposed convention centre that is still waiting for govern ment funding will help rejuve nate the downtown area, he said.

“There are over nine develop ments approved for the down town. It is the development com munity unto themselves that will decide, based upon their econom ic risk, on which to move for ward."

(clambie@herald.ca)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 4:39 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Coletta also took issue with the Halifax Regional Municipality, or HRM, label after she was ques tioned about how the city could improve its brand. The city’s working name has been hotly de bated at city hall.

A city’s brand should focus on what makes the place distinct, Co letta said.

“HRM — I don’t know what that means," she said.

“I think regionalism makes so much sense because economies are regional and environments are regional. It makes sense to think regionally. But I also think that, in thinking regionally, what we need to understand is things like HRM, to the rest of the world, mean nothing."

She garnered applause and laughter for that comment.

(clambie@herald.ca)

Bless You Carol Coletta. I couldn't have said it any better :-)
Totally agree with her, and sometimes I think this city needs a wakeup call as to how foolish regional issues like HRM make us look to the rest of the world.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 4:41 PM
we built this city

Thanks for telling us things we don't already know there Coletta and dissing our city... I'm sorry we don't live in Chicago and have a huge tax base and private sector to fix our downtown. What a waste of time bringing these people in.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 4:50 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Thanks for telling us things we don't already know there Coletta and dissing our city... I'm sorry we don't live in Chicago and have a huge tax base and private sector to fix our downtown. What a waste of time bringing these people in.
I don't see how saying that empty lots are an eyesore and suggesting that they be greened and turned into temporary open space is something that requires a huge tax base? In fact I would suggest it should be a condition imposed if a developer flattens a site to avoid the taxes and then leaves the lot undeveloped.

Not to mention the fact that sometimes I think this city needs a wake up call. There is no doubt that Halifax is a great city... but sometimes I see a temptation to get a bit big for its britches. For example anyone who things that Halifax is such a historic jewel should go to Quebec City, and anyone who thinks that everyone outside of NS doesn't laugh at us for the HRM moniker needs to get their heads out of the sand.

We look foolish, and far to often local politicians spend to much time navel gazing and not enough time actually realizing what people from the outside think. She is by far not the only visitor to think this... in fact I would go so far as to say that any visitor to downtown Halifax this summer will drive away thinking of empty lots, empty stores and floatables.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 5:30 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
Bless You Carol Coletta. I couldn't have said it any better :-)
Totally agree with her, and sometimes I think this city needs a wakeup call as to how foolish regional issues like HRM make us look to the rest of the world.
I don't know why we don't just refer to the whole region as Halifax. Because this is an isuue it shows just what an indecisive, time wasting group we have in office. By far fewer people would disagree with Halifax as opposed something as asinine as HRM.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 5:34 PM
Honored Member

The floatables should be gone by the summer since the Halifax wastewater plant will be operating again by then.

In my opinion, visitors to Halifax who have time to spend a few days in the city will have the following opinions:

Positives:
1) great restaurants
2) great waterfront
3) natural scenery
4) a good mix of a historic buildings and modern buildings
5) vibrant downtown with lots of live music

Negatives:
1) The empty lots and empty storefronts.
2) cold damp weather

I think that Halifax has more in common with the larger cities of Baltimore and San Francisco. Chicago has embraced tall buildings for close to 150 years now. So any heritage in Chicago revolves around modern technology (the older tall buildings mixed with modern very tall buildings). Chicago has a very impressive downtown core with tightly pacted skyscrapers and urban canyons so a visitor from Chicago won't be impressed by downtown Halifax (they are so completely different). However, Chicago doesn't have the ocean (just a large lake), very little history and not much natural scenery.

I think that Halifax is a great city and it could be even better if it would find a way to embrace modern architecture instead of fearing that tall buildings and modern architecture will destroy the city.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 5:51 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
The floatables should be gone by the summer since the Halifax wastewater plant will be operating again by then.

In my opinion, visitors to Halifax who have time to spend a few days in the city will have the following opinions:

Positives:
1) great restaurants
2) great waterfront
3) natural scenery
4) a good mix of a historic buildings and modern buildings
5) vibrant downtown with lots of live music \6) doesn't snow much until Jan.

Negatives:
1) The empty lots and empty storefronts.
2) cold damp weather
Positives:
6) walkable
7) reasonable shopping
8) neighbourhood enclaves (Hydrostone, north end, Spring Garden, South Barrington)
9) steep history
10) major shipping presence

Negatives:
3) Very poorly designed mid sized buildings with cheap fake materials
4) Grand historic houses plastered with plastic siding (changing a bit for the better recently though)
5) wasted potential in brownfield sites
6) no stadium

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 5:58 PM
Honored Member

I thought of mentioning this: 6) no stadium

but I know some people on this forum are getting tired of me posting about it. I am glad that you brought it up. 5) is a good one. A stadium could be put on a brownfield site (north of the Halifax Forum - DND site)

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 5:59 PM

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 6:39 PM
Salty Town

[QUOTE=JET;4766999]http://www.dtzbarnicke.com/client/JJ...70065C76C?Open[/QUOTE

Exactly what I expected.....................

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 6:42 PM

Quote:
Why get upset at what she says when she's telling us 'things we don't already know'? Truth is truth regardless of who says it. I'm willing to bet almost everyone on the Halifax section of the forum has spent some time criticizing some aspect of the city. Pot. Kettle. And we need outsiders opinions, because (as someone already said) it's a wake-up call. When you live in an area, and like an area, biases can blind you to some harsh truths.

Being defensive about reasonable, and reasoned criticism doesn't help. She didn't 'dis' Halifax, she made an observation.

...Speaking of unfriendly walking conditions downtown... Halifax really needs a better street and sidewalk cleaning policy. I know things are usually bad after the snow melts, but it's just disgusting in spots. Cigarette butts, garbage and dead leaves everywhere.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 7:29 PM

[QUOTE=Empire;4767069]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
http://www.dtzbarnicke.com/client/JJ...70065C76C?Open[/QUOTE

It's unimpressive, but an improvement over what is there; not that it would take much to improve what is there. JET

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 7:39 PM

[QUOTE=Empire;4767069]
Quote:

Not bad but also nothing very exciting ... at least it will give Notting Village some company.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 7:47 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

It's a bit rich for Kelly to point out that it's "up to developers" to fix the downtown. Yes, there are approved projects now, but he had a hand in delaying many of those for years while empty, ugly parking lots lingered downtown.

On top of that we have things like the Spring Garden Road improvements which were shelved for no good reason.

"HRM" has always obviously been a joke and is a sign of the region's parochialism. Dartmouth was never any more than a small town or suburb.

I don't really see Halifax being "too big for its britches". It seems like the opposite to me - many people in the city have a small-town attitude and are oblivious of the scale of the city (not that it's actually that large) and all of the things that reasonably should happen there. The only hubris I see is in the weird belief that everything in the city will be more or less fine regardless of what happens, which isn't true at all. There's a cost to making stupid decisions.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 8:23 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyeas View Post
I don't see how saying that empty lots are an eyesore and suggesting that they be greened and turned into temporary open space is something that requires a huge tax base? In fact I would suggest it should be a condition imposed if a developer flattens a site to avoid the taxes and then leaves the lot undeveloped.

Not to mention the fact that sometimes I think this city needs a wake up call. There is no doubt that Halifax is a great city... but sometimes I see a temptation to get a bit big for its britches. For example anyone who things that Halifax is such a historic jewel should go to Quebec City, and anyone who thinks that everyone outside of NS doesn't laugh at us for the HRM moniker needs to get their heads out of the sand.

We look foolish, and far to often local politicians spend to much time navel gazing and not enough time actually realizing what people from the outside think. She is by far not the only visitor to think this... in fact I would go so far as to say that any visitor to downtown Halifax this summer will drive away thinking of empty lots, empty stores and floatables.
Because its obvious, duh!

First and foremost... I don't really care about the visitors, I LIVE HERE THE REST OF THE YEAR! If its not good enough for me in 365 days of the year than clearly it sucks for tourists who are here for a brief period and don't even fully experience the lack of development or services at this current point in history.

Why we don't have BRT in the railcut as a top priority is downright rediculous to me and the development situation downtown is laughable. I don't even mind the HRM in concept that much, as it is similar to a european model. I think our brand could be updated, but she's missing the boat on the real structural issues... who cares about the fluff when its the actual policies and lobby groups that have hurt Halifax. It almost reminds me of the Christian right's influence on the Bush administration's policy decisions, except these people are on the opposite end of the spectrum.

If she wants to know why all of these lots are like this... look no farther than the HT. I know it sounds like the same old from me, but I honestly believe a number of developments would have started before the recession screwed their chances of financing. That would be a number of sites that we might have buildings on right now.

Why are we gettting somebody else to tell us what is right in front of us? Are people in Halifax seriously not aware that they are being screwed by their own decisions in electing certain individuals or provincial groups.

It doesn't take a fucking luncheon with some person from Chicago to let the public or our leadership figure this one out.

Like Someone123 says, there is a small town mentality here and no matter how many times we beat the drum on the pro-development end we are still going to have obstructionists throw a wrench into the mix and we will hold more and more meetings on a "what if" Halifax.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 9:28 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Because its obvious, duh!

Why we don't have BRT in the railcut as a top priority is downright rediculous to me and the development situation downtown is laughable. ...................If she wants to know why all of these lots are like this... look no farther than the HT. I know it sounds like the same old from me, but I honestly believe a number of developments would have started before the recession screwed their chances of financing. That would be a number of sites that we might have buildings on right now.
- the railcut was built in 1895 and this herd of clowns can't even do a simple study of how best to use it....this has to change!
- the vacant lots exist because the same clowns can't figure out that if you lower taxes on a site after a building is demolished it is a huge incentive to developers to snap up prime sites and then demolish the building and get HUGE tax break.
- almost nothing this council suscribes to makes sense

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 9:31 PM
we built this city

Good points... we can't really blame developers either way.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 10:16 PM

It seems like they brought her in to make the council realize how ignorant it is... But it won't change at all.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2010, 11:05 PM

[QUOTE=Empire;4767069]
Quote:

Cheap

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth