HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 14, 2020, 11:38 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Between the number of rich-guy owners who can handle a year or two of losses and maybe at least some help from the NHL, I think the leagues and most of the teams will continue to exist. But some individual franchises with precarious circumstances could be in deep trouble.
I imagine a number of CHL teams are lost in the upcoming year or two. I'd guess maybe 5-7 but who knows at this point. We'll see how the fall plays out.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2020, 12:01 AM

^ Sounds about right. I could see at least a couple weaker teams per league dropping off. I hope it doesn't come to that, though.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 9:46 PM

Alphonso Davies is the first Canadian to lift the Champions League trophy.

I don't know much about soccer before my time. Surely he's already reached a higher peak than any other Canadian player? He's pretty much an undisputed top-5 left-back in the world, arguably the second best after this run. Pretty cool to see a kid from Edmonton at the top of the world's most popular sport.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 9:49 PM
ハルウララ

People looking to start fights will say that Owen Hargreaves was the first Canadian to win the UCL, but we know he's not really Canadian in the sporting term so Davies gets that crown.

Whitecaps also get an additional $1M+ with Bayern/Davies winning today.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 10:23 PM

I don't see anyway how CHL teams could play and survive with no fans as they don't even have a tv deal in the CFL range of dollars and they had to shut down. WHL may want dec 1st start date but I don't seem them playing until vaccine is readily available which is likely fall of 2021 or 2022.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Alphonso Davies is the first Canadian to lift the Champions League trophy.

I don't know much about soccer before my time. Surely he's already reached a higher peak than any other Canadian player? He's pretty much an undisputed top-5 left-back in the world, arguably the second best after this run. Pretty cool to see a kid from Edmonton at the top of the world's most popular sport.
Owen Hargraves was the first Canadian to lift the Champions League Trophy doing it twice, once with Bayern and once with Manchester United.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post
Owen Hargraves was the first Canadian to lift the Champions League Trophy doing it twice, once with Bayern and once with Manchester United.
I was going to post something but I think I'll wait.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2020, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I don't see anyway how CHL teams could play and survive with no fans as they don't even have a tv deal in the CFL range of dollars and they had to shut down. WHL may want dec 1st start date but I don't seem them playing until vaccine is readily available which is likely fall of 2021 or 2022.
They also don't have a CFL sized payroll.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 12:38 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
As I eluded to, Hargreaves, although born in Canada, never played for the Canadian national team, and despite playing youth soccer in Canada in the Canadian system decided to play for England instead. In footballing terms he wasn't Canadian when he won UCL, simply just born here. Davies, although not born in Canada, was also developed in Canada and plays for our national team.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 1:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
As I eluded to, Hargreaves, although born in Canada, never played for the Canadian national team, and despite playing youth soccer in Canada in the Canadian system decided to play for England instead. In footballing terms he wasn't Canadian when he won UCL, simply just born here. Davies, although not born in Canada, was also developed in Canada and plays for our national team.
None of that stops Hargraves from being The first Canadian to win the Champions League and first Canadian to win it twice.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 2:12 AM

First Canadian, yes. First Canadian National Team player, no. Will let the individual be the judge on what's more important but for me representing your country > the passport you happen to have, so Davies' accomplishment is far more significant in my mind.

Whitecaps as usual will probably squander the spoils of their dividend payout here.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 11:31 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
None of that stops Hargraves from being The first Canadian to win the Champions League and first Canadian to win it twice.
As far as I'm concerned Hargreaves revoked his Canadian status when he decided not to represent this country. He can technically be the first Canadian but in the eyes of most he doesn't really count.

At the end of the day what matters is that we can all take pride in Davies' accomplishment.

Last edited by JHikka; Aug 24, 2020 at 12:24 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
I find it baffling that the CHL doesn't have any kind of national TV deal apart from a minimal few games on Sportsnet. Considering the national reach of the league, the fact that the teams are well established and the league's nature as the main talent pipeline to the pros, you would think there would be an appetite for at least a 'game of the week' or some such.

I have to admit that I didn't really pay much attention to the CHL since until last season Winnipeg hadn't had a team since the early 80s. I went to maybe ten games over 30 years in other cities, but I was obviously not a die-hard fan. Even the new team here I pretty well ignored until my kid's hockey team had a team night out at a Winnipeg Ice game last fall and I was taken aback by how awesome it was. I ended up going to a bunch of games after that. Obviously it isn't the pros but it's still very exciting and a fun night out.

All communications from the team and the WHL still speak to a December start but at this point it seems unlikely to me that there will be any ability to have more than a small handful of people in the arena... with each passing week the possibility of a season seems increasingly unlikely given that the WHL said it won't play without all rinks open to at least 50% capacity.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 10:02 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I find it baffling that the CHL doesn't have any kind of national TV deal apart from a minimal few games on Sportsnet. Considering the national reach of the league, the fact that the teams are well established and the league's nature as the main talent pipeline to the pros, you would think there would be an appetite for at least a 'game of the week' or some such.
SN does a CHL weekly game starting in January each season. More recently they've expanded their playoff league final broadcasts as well.

There are quite a few tiny speedbumps and logistics headaches to a national broadcasting deal for the CHL:
  • Prioritizing Memorial Cup host in games
  • Balancing large enough markets for TV
  • Balancing compelling or competitive games
  • Logistics for travelling to places with crew and cameras
  • Prioritizing draft eligible or NHL property players
  • Prioritizing World Juniors players (why TSN hasn't pushed for a CHL deal is beyond me. Running it in tandem with the U20s at Christmas makes too much sense).

Fortunately some of the larger markets (London, Halifax, Quebec) are usually pretty competitive most years so those games are easy to schedule. It becomes tough if teams like Rouyn-Noranda or Prince George are strong because you need to promote likely Memorial Cup teams but it costs money to transport to these areas for broadcasts, which means you're probably going to try and show those teams when they're visiting other competitive teams and markets. Figuring out a good, consistent schedule for that is tough.

The alternative is investing in enough arenas and broadcast booths to be able to provide quality enough broadcasts from most teams, but doing that in 60+ (or even 30+ arenas and markets) is costly and time-consuming.

If the CHL ends up contracting due to COVID I'd be interested in seeing what changes the league overall makes to further drive revenue while also keeping costs relatively low but also maintaining a competitive product.

Another argument, used decades ago in the major leagues, would be that increased broadcasts would take away from local crowds which are heavily relied upon for gate revenues. Not sure there's much to it but It's an interesting enough argument to hear out.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 10:11 PM

Quote:

I have to admit that I didn't really pay much attention to the CHL since until last season Winnipeg hadn't had a team since the early 80s. I went to maybe ten games over 30 years in other cities, but I was obviously not a die-hard fan. Even the new team here I pretty well ignored until my kid's hockey team had a team night out at a Winnipeg Ice game last fall and I was taken aback by how awesome it was. I ended up going to a bunch of games after that. Obviously it isn't the pros but it's still very exciting and a fun night out.

All communications from the team and the WHL still speak to a December start but at this point it seems unlikely to me that there will be any ability to have more than a small handful of people in the arena... with each passing week the possibility of a season seems increasingly unlikely given that the WHL said it won't play without all rinks open to at least 50% capacity.
It's hard to sell a nationwide broadcast of junior hockey I think. They play at the busiest time of the week for other TV sports and they have so many teams, I don't know how well a regular national game would go. It seems like Sportsnet focuses on top tier teams or top draft pick players. Not sure they would have a big draw nationwide for London Vs Windsor, for example (and those 2 teams, like many, have local cable TV broadcasts as well).

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 10:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
It's hard to sell a nationwide broadcast of junior hockey I think. They play at the busiest time of the week for other TV sports and they have so many teams, I don't know how well a regular national game would go. It seems like Sportsnet focuses on top tier teams or top draft pick players. Not sure they would have a big draw nationwide for London Vs Windsor, for example (and those 2 teams, like many, have local cable TV broadcasts as well).
Interest in a product is something that you build.

There is nothing special in the ground in Timmins that predisposes people there to take an interest in a Wake Forest vs. Gonzaga college basketball game.

And yet there they are.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
As far as I'm concerned Hargreaves revoked his Canadian status when he decided not to represent this country. He can technically be the first Canadian but in the eyes of most he doesn't really count.

At the end of the day what matters is that we can all take pride in Davies' accomplishment.
Trump wins the election and hell freezes over, I agree with jhikka. It took a lotta years and Davies and (now) David to rebuild the damage that the Ho wrought. He represented all that was wrong with international soccer, the Georges (Best and Weah) would be spinning in their graves. Ok, Weah's not dead yet.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There is nothing special in the ground in Timmins that predisposes people there to take an interest in a Wake Forest vs. Gonzaga college basketball game.
And yet TSN chooses to build an American sports property (hockey) with schools 99% of Canadians have never heard of instead of building a Canadian product with schools we have heard of. Let's hear it for Quinnipiac and St Cloud State, yeaaa!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 12:38 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by elly63 View Post
And yet TSN chooses to build an American sports property (hockey) with schools 99% of Canadians have never heard of instead of building a Canadian product with schools we have heard of. Let's hear it for Quinnipiac and St Cloud State, yeaaa!
Last year I noticed a few times that TSN was showing NCAA SEC (South Eastern Conference) gymnastics, in prime time. I don't have anything againsy gymnastics, but I wonder how many people in Corner Brook and Kenora were itching to see Clemson vs. Alabama on the rings or the asymetrical bars.

Untapped demand, I guess.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 1:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Last year I noticed a few times that TSN was showing NCAA SEC (South Eastern Conference) gymnastics, in prime time. I don't have anything againsy gymnastics, but I wonder how many people in Corner Brook and Kenora were itching to see Clemson vs. Alabama on the rings or the asymetrical bars.

Untapped demand, I guess.
It's a f'n disgrace. I'd rather sit through gawdawful poker than see them building American rather than Canadian properties from nothing.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada