HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 1:20 AM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoOgE View Post
This looks like it's shed about 100 feet from that video.

My info is *old*, but this building nearly (or did) go through some really drastic redesigns. This seems to confirm the plans are not as drastic of changes as were being discussed at one point, but it still seems to have shed some height.
I think the rendering they used in the 2nd skyline rendering posted above is a "squashed" version of the rendering.

I'll admit, it does look shorter, and that caught my eye. The office portion roof does appear shorter. Referencing the building elevations, the transitional floor between the residential and office was the 34th floor and 447 feet. The rendering seems to show that transition point being lower than 447 feet by a bit, however, I still counted 34 floors in the office portion. I have no reason to believe the office floors would have their "floor-to-floor" heights lowered either, since that would affect the mechanical systems between the floors.

Anyway, there is no spire either. If you watch the video the "spire" in the video is just some goofy marketing thing they added to clue in the oblivious viewers as to which building they're advertising on the skyline. If you continue watching that "spire" turns into an X above the building. Also, if they're having trouble getting the tower built, it wouldn't make any sense on wasting money on a spire. George Blume himself who designed the building told us he didn't think crowns and spires do a thing for a building or its inhabitants, so it wouldn't make sense adding one anyway.

Watch the video around the 22 second mark. No spire. Just an X.
https://www.lpcaustin.com/video/6xGu...ressed.mp4?_=1

Old Posted Dec 18, 2018, 6:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
George Blume himself who designed the building told us he didn't think crowns and spires do a thing for a building or its inhabitants, so it wouldn't make sense adding one anyway.
George, go to Chicago and call me when you're done.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 5:41 PM

Quote:

Watch the video around the 22 second mark. No spire. Just an X.
At first I thought it was a spire, but on second watch, there is definitely no spire. The stylized X above the building is the same stylized X in the building name, e.g. 6 X Guadalupe.

The video didn't include actual residences, just amenities. Marketing of the amenity spaces is always overblown and it's still early, so that's probably to be expected.

I'm surprised at the number of comments about race here, but I think some people look for patterns and try to bait conversations with unspoken implications rather than applying critical thinking. It's unfortunate that you end up with this sort of surfacy comment bait, especially in a skyscraper forum. Ultimately though, what you saw in the video is probably just what their marketing analytics told them about the aspirational personas of the future residents.

Can anybody identify the soundtrack? The trance behind the cello.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 6:32 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
At first I thought it was a spire, but on second watch, there is definitely no spire. The stylized X above the building is the same stylized X in the building name, e.g. 6 X Guadalupe.

The video didn't include actual residences, just amenities. Marketing of the amenity spaces is always overblown and it's still early, so that's probably to be expected.

I'm surprised at the number of comments about race here, but I think some people look for patterns and try to bait conversations with unspoken implications rather than applying critical thinking. It's unfortunate that you end up with this sort of surfacy comment bait, especially in a skyscraper forum. Ultimately though, what you saw in the video is probably just what their marketing analytics told them about the aspirational personas of the future residents.

Can anybody identify the soundtrack? The trance behind the cello.

It's your comment which is is baiting, not the other posters. Other than what I said in the last sentence, I see no reason to focus anymore time on your comment and I doubt others will waste their time either.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
It's your comment which is is baiting, not the other posters. Other than what I said in the last sentence, I see no reason to focus anymore time on your comment and I doubt others will waste their time either.
You're welcome to your opinion, but as the author of the comment, I think I can speak best to the intent: the goal was not to bait anything, rather to point out a pattern of comments that have a track record of inciting racist conclusions and the hope that they shouldn't be in our forum. I'm not sure why you're defending this type of thing.

Old Posted Jan 2, 2019, 10:42 PM
Meh

I also noticed a lack of diversity in their video. I think it's unfortunate because it doesn't represent the true nature of downtown. I see no problem with critiquing that part of the marketing material/renderings when we do the same on the architectural aspects of it and the inconsistencies and inaccuracies of the surrounding neighborhood and eventual finished product that differs from what we were shown in the illustrations. Marketing material sometimes embellishes a bit or paints a picture that isn't completely accurate, but it usually does so intentionally with the goal of portraying something a certain way that they wish the viewer to see or not see. The thing to remember is ugly blank walls or powerlines won't have an emotional response to being left out nor do they hold grudges.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 12:29 AM

Lincoln pulled that video from the brochure and website right after it was posted here. But the separate link to the video I posted still works.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Jan 3, 2019 at 9:15 AM.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 12:53 AM

Quote:

The thing to remember is ugly blank walls or powerlines won't have an emotional response to being left out nor do they hold grudges.
Very well said!

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 2:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Matt View Post
Very well said!
Company: "Hey we want you to make a video for 6X Guadalupe, a new building downtown."

Videographer/Producer/Director: "Great, happy to help. What is your budget?"

Company: "$2000 for graphics and video, need it in a week."

Videographer: "Ok, I could use the work, I'll do it."

Videographer: Turning to her friends in the room, "hey wanna be in a video I need to make for a new building downtown?"

Roomies/Besties: "Sure, how much you paying us?"

Videographer: ".....Uhhhh........I can pay you in beer".....

Roomies/Besties: "hell yeah!"

Point is, I've seen these things go this way many times. It was probably much more innocent (though maybe not thoughtful, or correct) than one would think. Small productions like this are typically moonlight gigs for someone who works at a larger firm (I've hired videographers from KUT, KXAN, etc for small gigs like this)....they grab the first people they see (or their hottest friends-lets be honest, no matter the race) and go shoot in an afternoon...then spend the rest of the time in post production. Very little time put is into the socio-political ramifications of their decisions, if at all.

Its either that, or the videographer is racist.....

I'm not saying we don't have a massive problem in our country, we clearly do, but not everything is racist. Most mistakes are just fuck ups.

Lets give each other the benefit of a doubt.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
Lincoln pulled that video from the brochure and website right after it was posted here. But the separate link to the video I posted still works.
Good! The video just sucked. I agree not everything is racist, but rather lazy... They're lucky to have the picky SSP peeps to judge things before they get fully unveiled lol.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 9:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahealy View Post
I agree not everything is racist, but rather lazy...
Agreed. Just bad marketing.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigaven View Post
Agreed. Just bad marketing.
Thirded. For the record, I didn't think it was intentionally racist, either. It was just sloppy and thoughtless.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:43 AM
lurker

crickets.....

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Feb 14, 2019, 7:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberthewhat View Post
crickets.....
The last update from the developer was that this would start "in the Spring". So that's two or three more months of crickets.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 6:49 AM

LOL. Lincoln has listened to the complaints, and they have released a new marketing video with brown and Asian people.

https://www.lpcaustin.com/properties/600-guadalupe/

Old Posted Feb 22, 2019, 7:23 AM

Here's the link to the original video if anyone is interested in comparing them.

Since the Extended Stay is still in business, we can at least enjoy some screen shots from the video.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 12:13 AM

That is one heck of a hideous parking podium. Especially across the street from such a historic residential building block. I am not a fan!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
That is one heck of a hideous parking podium. Especially across the street from such a historic residential building block. I am not a fan!
I don't mind it, maybe there will be LEDs on it!

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 4:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTex View Post
It really is. So many buildings especially of such prominence are completely dismissing good podium design now for some reason. The Silicon Labs and Austonian garages are great. Can barely tell they are garages. Why do we have to have such hideous garages now. It sucks.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2019, 5:44 PM

The Extended Stay is booking at least through the calendar year 2019. Not that that's particularly surprising but I was hoping there'd be a hard stop some time this year noted on their reservation tool.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin