HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Aug 25, 2017, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcappi View Post
Workers were out this week painting sections of the facade/entrance of the Sheridan Hotel a dark grey colour.
Do you mean the Sheraton?

Old Posted Aug 26, 2017, 1:06 AM

Yes! Sorry; was on mobile and it autocorrected to the name of the college

Last edited by davidcappi; Aug 26, 2017 at 4:23 AM.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 8:02 PM

City Hall forecourt
Joey Coleman‏ twitter

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DIxgY7pUMAAgDGI.jpg

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 9:07 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeHamilton View Post
City Hall forecourt
Joey Coleman‏ twitter

one can almost imagine they are in a bigger city from that view - I just came back from montreal and the vastness of it in some ways awed me but also made me miss the familiar small city feel of hamilton

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 9:27 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
City Hall forecourt
Joey Coleman‏ twitter

Very nice, I like the lighting in it.

Deserves a direct posting in the thread:

Source

Old Posted Sep 4, 2017, 6:49 PM

Dare I say portions of Hamilton are really starting to come alive now...I think, that the downtown is headed in the right direction, and will soon be occupied by a lot of retirees and young professionals when all of the condo's and other projects go up. It's plazas and l'esplanades like the ones in the photo above that will make the area more walk-able, including at night time.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 6:32 PM

Scaffolding has gone up in front of Cheapies. Not sure what they're doing, but I hope the facade gets a little love!

Old Posted Sep 6, 2017, 2:25 PM
Hamilton Historian

I kinda like the dubai feeling going on - where entire areas of the city are being built new all at once.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 7:56 PM

Good article from Paul Wilson on the developments in the downtown.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2017, 9:33 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
holy cr*p - I never realized the the old cellar building looks the same as 11 king st e, the one where they coloured the details on the top silver, because it IS the same building! It's connected together in an L shape! I hope they are able to restore that whole building, keep the architectural elements the same, and maybe even add the facade back under those ugly signs that cover the rest of it!

"In one, built in 1915 for Stanley Mills & Co., crews pulled down a dropped ceiling. Turned out there was another false ceiling above that and they knocked it down too. And then they discovered not one but five beautiful domes. This is slated to be a restaurant, so that spectacular ceiling will make for classy space.

Most of the floors above have not been occupied for a couple of generations. By next summer, they will be "contemporary heritage" office space, elevator and all. Watch for two stepped-back floors to be added to the building to the south, which will even out the facade.

And in a deal that closes next month around the corner, Core Urban takes over 11 King East, also a Mills building, erected in 1903. It's tall, narrow, long as a bowling alley and actually once linked up with the Mills building on James.

And it will again, as some walls come down. So there will be several floors of L-shaped offices for rent, 6,000 square feet each, with big windows looking down on both Gore Park and James North."

Old Posted Sep 13, 2017, 4:17 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by NortheastWind View Post
From that Wilson write-up: "And in a deal that closes next month around the corner, Core Urban takes over 11 King East, also a Mills building, erected in 1903. It's tall, narrow, long as a bowling alley and actually once linked up with the Mills building on James."

But that's referring to The Alley (exterior restored) -- is the interior still a work in progress? Or did Paul actually mean the address just to the east that still has the butt ugly screen?

Old Posted Sep 15, 2017, 4:22 AM
Forever forward.

15 Queen St. S has a Public Meeting Date.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2017, 9:40 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
From that Wilson write-up: "And in a deal that closes next month around the corner, Core Urban takes over 11 King East, also a Mills building, erected in 1903. It's tall, narrow, long as a bowling alley and actually once linked up with the Mills building on James."

But that's referring to The Alley (exterior restored) -- is the interior still a work in progress? Or did Paul actually mean the address just to the east that still has the butt ugly screen?
I am still fantasizing that they restore that entire building, inside and out, that would be a dream..

the 1/3 they restored the outside of, is literally the most beautiful restoration of a downtown building in hamilton I have ever seen colours wise - it just looks gorgeous

Old Posted Sep 23, 2017, 8:59 PM

Hi all,

I am new around here, and while I have been lurking around for a bit, my interest in Hamilton has increased every year that I have had the pleasure of going to school, and now working in Hamilton. I hope to move to the city as soon as possible, as I absolutely love the downtown, despite what some say about it and the safety and other issues et cetera.

I have begun working on a custom map on Google Maps, and it is quite a bit of work, so I was curious if there was any interest from people here for me to continue, and if anyone was interested in helping out. Also if you have any recommendations for format and other items please let me know!

Here is the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wd...QE&usp=sharing (Let me know if the link works)

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 3:39 AM

nice job!

There are a few more that can be added Phase 3-5 at Royal Connaught, Acclamation, Days Inn @Main/Spring, Hamilton Store Fixtures @ King and Caroline

Old Posted Sep 25, 2017, 3:46 AM

There's a bunch more than even that, it just takes time so I was wondering if there was any interest in me continuing to add, or if anyone wanted to help me out. I can other people as editors!

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 2:00 PM

101 Locke by Spallacci Group won the OHBA's 2017 Project of the Year (Low to Mid Rise Development) at the awards gala that took place last evening. This project beat out notable projects, including those from Downtown Toronto and the rest of the GTA.

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 1:42 PM

The Hamilton Development Boom: High-Rises

The Inlet | Thomas Allen | October 11, 2017

Quote:
Hamilton is changing. We all know this. If you’ve been paying attention to Hamilton, this isn’t anything new. The city just announced that it hit a record-setting milestone of over one billion dollars in building permits within the last nine months. Downtown has a pulse it hasn’t seen in decades. There are more cranes in the sky and developments than ever before, but did you know that’s just the tip of the iceberg? From high-rise, to mid-rise, to townhouses, commercial properties, institutional buildings, and other infill projects, Hamilton will be seeing a lot more when it comes to construction time; if and when these developments get there.

This series will be taking a look at each of these developments.

We’ll start with a list of high-rise residential projects (anything over 11-stories) in different phases of development. Some are currently under construction, while others are just going through various stages of proposal. At this time none of the proposed developments will exceed 40 stories, and many will look different from the initial renderings (which is why the author reserves judgement).
(The rest of the article)

http://theinletonline.com/hamilton-d...om-high-rises/

Old Posted Oct 12, 2017, 3:41 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:

It's great to see them all accumulated together like that!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:

This article is really well done! It's cool to see a bunch of the projects in development or near completion, being put into one article.

You can call me a homer for saying this but... how does the RC not get featured? There's a mention at the bottom of the article regarding the development and that's it. Considering it has had featured articles in the Globe, National Post, Spec, ETC, it's pretty suspect as to why it's not mentioned. Not to mention... the development has won National Awards from the Canadian Home Builders Association...

The Connaught has arguably anchored the revitalization of the downtown core and it's the only luxury condo building that has actually been fully built and occupied.

Surprised 101 Locke wasn't mentioned either. Was in development for years and is finally under construction, won a provincial award for project of the year (low rise), beating the likes of Tridel and others in the process... If i'm speaking from an unbiased standpoint, the fact that neither of these projects is mentioned is suspect.

All good though. Journalism is subjective.

Last edited by hamilton23; Oct 13, 2017 at 12:27 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton