HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Jun 22, 2020, 9:51 PM

LA Development Model

I posted my 3d development map for DTLA last week, so I thought it about time to post my one for the metro. I am definitely missing a lot of smaller projects and trying to fill them in, but overall it is relatively accurate. White buildings are under construction, blue is for approved, red for proposed, and yellow for ones without renders/ have gone quiet and might not happen. As always let me know if I am missing anything or there is any inaccurate information.

1111 Sunset:

This is an absolutely insane proposal, and I really hope it goes through.

The Lake on Wilshire:

As far as I know, this was approved, but I haven't heard any news for like 2 years. Does anyone know if it is still happening?

Koreatown:

A lot of good infill and mid-sized projects happening here, but the area is really in need of a solid pinnacle imo.

5411 Wilshire:

This one is a really beautiful, but also a quite imposing project. I hope that if it goes through it leads to a solid mini skyline.

Century City:

West Hollywood:

Cross Roads of the World:

I cannot believe this was approved, and I am really really hoping it actually goes through. It's absolutely massive and I love it.

Hollywood:

The amount of development here is staggering, and its quickly becoming one of the densest parts of the city.

Hollywood Center:

I am even more surprised this was approved, and honestly, Hollywood looks pretty bad WITHOUT it. it works as an amazing pinnacle for the city and plays such respect to the Capitol Records building. I remember when my mom first went to LA she was for some reason convinced that the Capitol Records building was some massive 50 story tower and was completely disappointed to find out how small it really was. I'd like to think this project is for her lol.

More buildings blocking the AHF building which is great. Supposedly The Palladium and 6400 Sunset were approved today, so fingers crossed they come to fruition.

More Hollywood:

And lastly a wide shot of the metro.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 3:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorboffin View Post
I posted my 3d development map for DTLA last week, so I thought it about time to post my one for the metro. I am definitely missing a lot of smaller projects and trying to fill them in, but overall it is relatively accurate. White buildings are under construction, blue is for approved, red for proposed, and yellow for ones without renders/ have gone quiet and might not happen. As always let me know if I am missing anything or there is any inaccurate information.

5411 Wilshire:

This one is a really beautiful, but also a quite imposing project. I hope that if it goes through it leads to a solid mini skyline.

Ahh yes, THIS is the project I mentioned in my deleted post (not sure why that one was deleted as it was an obvious attempt to redirect the conversation earlier...) that I heard some news about on the radio last week. It’s supposed to replace the Staples store there and I coulda swore it was said to have been approved. I’m trying to look up any new information about it but can’t find anything.

Nice job by the way!

Last edited by JDRCRASH; Jun 24, 2020 at 3:47 AM.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 8:18 PM

Onni Office Tower and Angels Stadium

I literally just posted my Hollywood model a few days ago and it's already outdated. The Onni Office building (https://urbanize.la/post/onni-group-...d-and-cahuenga) will make a decent impact on the skyline and fill in part of the largest dent in the skyline. The building is actually pretty darn tall and would be one of the tallest buildings in the area, but its bulk really throws off the scale. Overall though, it's a welcome addition.

I also made a quick, and likely very inaccurate mock up of the Angel Stadium Project (https://urbanize.la/post/angel-stadi...ces-and-retail) which I'm pretty sure is my first model in OC. Definitely a big project, but I would honestly I would trade the large buildings for more variety in the heights and massing of all the midrises. A bunch of 6-16 story buildings would be much more urban than dozens of 7 stories and a few skyscrapers. That said, even if it happens it will be decades before it's finished so hopefully, they'll be some major tweaking.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2020, 11:25 PM

Yesterday, I drove past The Jack N The Box on Sunset Blvd across from the old Amoeba record store in Hollywood. It's completely fenced off. Sorry I couldn't get a picture.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 5:57 AM

Doctorboffin, thank you for all of these. Really helps to visualize. I truly can't wait

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 6:18 AM

Being an Angel fan myself this is pretty exciting news, nothing has happened for so long and so many botched proposals, it's still hard to believe this could actually happen. This could have a huge impact on Anaheim with the start of a new downtown 'core', that's a lot of density and towers going up at once. Also preparing for the future high speed rail is really clever and that's one way smaller cities get a lot bigger, and close-by rail networks help stadiums alleviate traffic problems. Dodger stadium could really use a similar face lift but they had their shot and went small this time. I'm actually quite surprised the Angels got around to something like this before the Dodgers, considering the Dodgers are a considerably higher market cap team.

Last edited by Niftybox; Jun 25, 2020 at 6:29 AM.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 3:05 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Oh man, if that hotel on Sunset at the Jack in the Box moves forward, that will be amazing. We'll be looking at a true cluster developing in that area.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 4:40 PM

There’s also the redevelopment of the lots and surrounding area of the Honda center. Both the Angels and Ducks development would be a game changer for Anaheim if they actually come to fruition.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2020, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerellO View Post
There’s also the redevelopment of the lots and surrounding area of the Honda center. Both the Angels and Ducks development would be a game changer for Anaheim if they actually come to fruition.
What is the feasibility of extending the Garden Grove - Santa Ana streetcar from the terminus at the Santa Ana Regional Transit Center to the ARTIC and Angel Stadium?

Old Posted Jun 26, 2020, 2:04 AM

Wow, if some of those taller reds in Hollywood on your map go through that area is going to have it's own substantial skyline, people coming in from the 101 will see a cool double skyline with DTLA in the backdrop.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 1:26 AM
Paramoderator

Speaking of 5411 Wilshire, the developer has put up a website with updated renderings. The project is now called The Mirabelle.

Looks like they've lowered the total amount of parking from 548 spaces to 477, and shrunk the parking podium. Compare these new renderings to the older ones:

The project looks much better as a result. This is gonna be beautiful!

https://5411wilshire.com/

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 1:37 AM

Wow, what a boost to the neighborhood that would be.

In Valley news, I heard NOHO WEST retail portion opened today.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 1:50 AM
DENNAB

Wow nice! Looks at least 40 floors (500-ish feet?)

Hope it gets built.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 2:40 AM
Show me the blueprints

Now there's a parking podium I could live with.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 5:42 AM

Haha that project is kind of a monstrosity, it seems way too big for the surrounding area imo. I'd prefer if it were two smaller narrower towers like a 25 and a 35 story or something to better fit the area, just look at the scale of the tower compared to the one to its direct left (in picture 4), it absolutely dwarfs it in height and mass. I think a building needs to compliment its surrounding buildings, not overshadow them making them irrelevant.

Last edited by Niftybox; Jun 27, 2020 at 5:56 AM.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 6:14 AM
Paramoderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niftybox View Post
Haha that project is kind of a monstrosity, it seems way too big for the surrounding area imo. I'd prefer if it were two smaller narrower towers like a 25 and a 35 story or something to better fit the area, just look at the scale of the tower compared to the one to its direct left (in picture 4), it absolutely dwarfs it in height and mass. I think a building needs to compliment its surrounding buildings, not overshadow them making them irrelevant.
Compare it to the Variety tower down the street. Same size.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 7:50 PM

This is from today of the 35ish floor tower in Brentwood just off Wilshire

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 10:49 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

There's a link on the Mirabelle website to write in and support the tower. If you'd like to see it built, I highly recommend filling it out. I did, and they will use these submissions to help with future planning commission meetings to help get the tower approved, as it will have a lot of opposition from surrounding neighbors. But as housing near planned mass transit, this is much needed, and includes 38 affordable units where 0 exist right now.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 11:13 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

The design gets a 90/100 from me. I think the podium could be better integrated with the existing Streamline Moderne building. Don't care for the columns either, as they really emphasize the podium even more. Hope it gets built.

Old Posted Jun 27, 2020, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illithid Dude View Post
Compare it to the Variety tower down the street. Same size.
Nah I'm not against the project, I believe LA needs bigger than normal towers to stand out so it's not entirely bad, it just makes a few of the surrounding 'towers' basically invisible from a distance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations