HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation

View Poll Results: What should go ahead regarding the interprovincial bridge study?
Tunnel under/near King Edward Avenue 6 27.27%
Kettle Island Bridge (current proposal) 5 22.73%
Kettle Island Bridge (upgraded to full freeway) 4 18.18%
Greenbelt Bridge (new options) 0 0%
Vanier Parkway connection (original plan) 6 27.27%
Bridge or tunnel elsewhere 0 0%
Do nothing 1 4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 7:12 PM

Position on Interprovincial Bridge options

I know there is quite a debate going on about what plan should be done to get trucks off King Edward. I decided to create a poll.

I went with the tunnel that the City Centre Coalition wants (my vote), the proposed Kettle Island bridge, an upgraded/free-flow Kettle Island bridge corridor, the Greenbelt bridges that have been suggested (and panned at this site - http://commonsensecrossings.com/), the original Vanier Parkway proposal and other and do nothing options.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2009, 8:41 PM
Busy Beaver

Reposting the concept from the other thread.

I am in favour of a creative solution for the Vanier Parkway extension.

Regardless of other bridges, traffic from A-5 will always funnel from the M-C bridge. The Parkway extension can take away half the traffic from King Edward, leaving only the cars destined for downtown. It could remove the downtown truck problem in the most cost effective way, and it can be done with zero net loss of parkland:

Instead of pedestrian ramps, there could be berms on the river side rising to the elevated portion. This would create a partial tunnel without need for venting:

Doing an elevated park there would actually give it a unique feature, possibly increasing its appeal with higher views of the river.

Here's an example of an elevated park in New York

High Line Park Concept:
from inhabitat.com

Actual execution:

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 6:01 AM
Citizen-at-large

Tough to vote here because I wanted to vote for multiple of them simultaneously. This would not be contradictory: no one of these options alone will solve our current problems.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 8:11 AM

A little off-topic, maybe, but I checked out a stretch of that High-Line park when I was in NYC in late August, and it's pretty cool.

The overgrowth kinda looks meh, but it was done to be the most enviromentally friendly, or something along those lines... there's some sort of green-ness to it that I don't really remember, but there was a reason, anyways, lol.

It's still a pretty neat park, and a really good example of how to transform old, useless infrastructure into practical, usable space.

New York really does have the best parks. What a city.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2009, 9:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach6668 View Post
A little off-topic, maybe, but I checked out a stretch of that High-Line park when I was in NYC in late August, and it's pretty cool.

The overgrowth kinda looks meh, but it was done to be the most enviromentally friendly, or something along those lines... there's some sort of green-ness to it that I don't really remember, but there was a reason, anyways, lol.

It's still a pretty neat park, and a really good example of how to transform old, useless infrastructure into practical, usable space.

New York really does have the best parks. What a city.
Apparently the idea came from the fact that plants started growing there on their own. So they've established a bias toward the type of plants that gained a foothold on their own, instead of landscaping it purely for visual effect.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 6:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
Apparently the idea came from the fact that plants started growing there on their own. So they've established a bias toward the type of plants that gained a foothold on their own, instead of landscaping it purely for visual effect.
Yeah, that's what it was. So it's completely natural, on a non-natural structure. I like it. Although, I'm not particularly "green". Still a really cool park.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 1:37 PM
Mooderator

I'm wondering what a west-end bridge would do to Aylmer if it were built. Right now it is rare that I go to Kanata for anything, but imagine the onslaught of Aylmerites doing their shopping at Centrum, Costco, etc. The Plateau area in Hull would probably lose a significant amount of business.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 4:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
I'm wondering what a west-end bridge would do to Aylmer if it were built. Right now it is rare that I go to Kanata for anything, but imagine the onslaught of Aylmerites doing their shopping at Centrum, Costco, etc. The Plateau area in Hull would probably lose a significant amount of business.
It would make Aylmer a pure residential hotbed, for high-tech workers (since it is quite possible another tech boom could hit in the future) taking advantage of much cheaper housing.

The bridge would have to be about 2.6 km in length, and high enough to allow boats to go underneath as well. The most likely connection would be between Boulevard des Allumetieres and would have to connect back at Riddell Drive to avoid DND land. About 15 houses would need to be expropriated.

The problem is the cost of such a bridge is much higher, and the demand isn't immediately there. Certainly a corridor should be preserved, but the bridge itself probably isn't necessary for at least 20 years.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eternallyme View Post
It would make Aylmer a pure residential hotbed, for high-tech workers (since it is quite possible another tech boom could hit in the future) taking advantage of much cheaper housing.

The bridge would have to be about 2.6 km in length, and high enough to allow boats to go underneath as well. The most likely connection would be between Boulevard des Allumetieres and would have to connect back at Riddell Drive to avoid DND land. About 15 houses would need to be expropriated.

The problem is the cost of such a bridge is much higher, and the demand isn't immediately there. Certainly a corridor should be preserved, but the bridge itself probably isn't necessary for at least 20 years.
It would also take some pressure off the Queensway. Aa another route to and from Kanata from Gatineau and even the Market and points east.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Star Cite would boom with a huge influx of Kanata teens.

The two theatres I go to the most are Coliseum and Star Cite, one for convenience and the other for price.

Seriously, you make a good point. Any bridge should also include some development of land for commercial development. There are high tech firms in Gatineau that might like the opportunity to be near Kanata without crossing the river.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2009, 5:21 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTWAP View Post
Star Cite would boom with a huge influx of Kanata teens.

The two theatres I go to the most are Coliseum and Star Cite, one for convenience and the other for price.
I always thought the main reason for seeing so many Ottawa teens (not saying you are a teenager RTWAP) at Star Cité was that movie ratings can be different in Quebec, and that minimum ages for certain films are applied more loosely here.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2009, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I always thought the main reason for seeing so many Ottawa teens (not saying you are a teenager RTWAP) at Star Cité was that movie ratings can be different in Quebec, and that minimum ages for certain films are applied more loosely here.
My oldest was at the premiere of LOTR:Fellowship of the Ring at Star Cite. She was 3 months old, but she was there.

I hadn't actually noticed the franco/anglo mix at Star Cite. I'm not very sensitive to those kinds of things. The francos are un-noticeable because I'm in Quebec. And the anglos are un-noticeable because they're teenagers at a movie theatre. It would be like noticing air.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Transportation