HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Fuck isn't really a swear word in Quebec public society anyway.

Though I'd disagree that it's lost most of its shock value in more anglophone circles.
It's maybe not the most polite word, but you won't get in trouble for saying it in most circumstances unless you are a small child.

By contrast, using "real" swears could get you into a heap of trouble.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 3:43 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
It's maybe not the most polite word, but you won't get in trouble for saying it in most circumstances unless you are a small child.

By contrast, using "real" swears could get you into a heap of trouble.
I think "getting in trouble" in that way isn't exactly what I am talking about, though I do know exactly what you mean and definitely agree with you on that specific point.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 6:43 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
Fuck isn't really a swear word in Quebec public society anyway.

Though I'd disagree that it's lost most of its shock value in more anglophone circles.
I know I wince when it gets used too much, which probably dates myself. It used to be a class marker and question of etiquette. Mechanics and construction workers used to swear a blue streak on the job, but would turn it off in more formal situations or in the presence of women.

I can't watch certain comedians because of the incessant "fug'n, fug'n...this fug'n dude goes to the fug'n grocery store, and tells the fug'n cashier to fug off." It's a distressing verbal tick.

Gotta ask some of the younger folks here. Would you be a bit taken aback at hearing crude language from an employee in a store? "Yeah, this fug'n phone is way better than that fug'n piece of shit."

That would have me questioning not only the professionalism and suitability of the store employee, but his mental health as well. Wouldn't it for you?

And how about in French?

Last edited by rousseau; Oct 13, 2021 at 7:12 PM. Reason: Fug'n grammar!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 6:50 PM

^ Well yes, there are still professional standards. The way one speaks casually with friends is generally different than how one talks to their boss.

But my point is that the goalposts have shifted on what constitutes a taboo word. Maybe years ago someone dropping F bombs would have really turned heads and raised eyebrows. That is not really the case now unless it is a totally inappropriate setting like work or school. That's why we now see billboards with the logo that Acajack was talking about.

As an aside, I remember riding a VIA train years ago in Northern Manitoba when I was a teenager... one of the middle-aged VIA trainmen was eating lunch in the dining car when a CN employee of some kind walks in and noticed him... he bellows out "Jimmy ya fat cunt, how ya doing?" and they start laughing and talking. That was one case where a swear had a bit of shock value for me

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 6:51 PM
Registered Drug User

Having said all that, I'm not a prude. My wife is unhappy with how much and how loudly I use the F-word when something goes wrong with a project at home or in my shed, and I'm really trying to tone it down.

Funny, now that I think of it, it's an expression of self-loathing and existential angst. Did you just ruin the last usable piece, and now the store's closed, and what should have been a simple two-hour job for a person with a reasonable amount of technical dexterity and skill has already taken you four hours but is still only half-finished, and it doesn't look or function as good as it should, so you've wasted time and money and will probably end up having to take it to a pro and spend more time and money to get it done right?

Fug!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 6:55 PM

^ I believe this is the sentiment you're trying to convey

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 6:56 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
The way one speaks casually with friends is generally different than how one talks to their boss.
Thing is, I wouldn't use or expect to hear the F-word when hanging around with beers on the deck or wherever unless it was specifically used to make a vociferous point about something reprehensible.

Saying something like "So how the fug's it going these days, dude?" would definitely raise eyebrows.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 6:58 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
^ I believe this is the sentiment you're trying to convey

Yup. I'm a cool, casual customer in most areas of my life, but screwing something up with tools brings out the cussing!

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 7:02 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
That's why we now see billboards with the logo that Acajack was talking about.

:
Yes and no. I'd bet a million bucks that you'd never see a billboard in Canada-outside-Quebec or the US with something looking so clearly like the word "FUCK" on it.

At the very most you might see "F*CK" but even that I am not sure about.

Bumper stickers, t-shirts, etc. are a different matter as these are subject to private decisions made by individuals. There is almost certainly still some social stigma and scorn associated with displaying the word FUCK on your person or your vehicle, but my guess is that corporate Canada would veto a billboard with that on it, anywhere but Quebec.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 7:10 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I'm interested Acajack - do you spend as much time trying to explain the RoC to your Quebec friends as you do giving the Quebec perspective to us anglos here on SSP?

Your personal history allows you to be a bit of a cultural bridge, so to speak.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 7:29 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I'm interested Acajack - do you spend as much time trying to explain the RoC to your Quebec friends as you do giving the Quebec perspective to us anglos here on SSP?

Your personal history allows you to be a bit of a cultural bridge, so to speak.
I don't actually do that much in person - in either direction.

Only online.

But your last point is very true, I know.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 7:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
I know I wince when it gets used too much, which probably dates myself. It used to be a class marker and question of etiquette. Mechanics and construction workers used to swear a blue streak on the job, but would turn it off in more formal situations or in the presence of women.

I can't watch certain comedians because of the incessant "fug'n, fug'n...this fug'n dude goes to the fug'n grocery store, and tells the fug'n cashier to fug off." It's a distressing verbal tick.

Gotta ask some of the younger folks here. Would you be a bit taken aback at hearing crude language from an employee in a store? "Yeah, this fug'n phone is way better than that fug'n piece of shit."

That would have me questioning not only the professionalism and suitability of the store employee, but his mental health as well. Wouldn't it for you?

And how about in French?
If you're talking about the f-word itself, as mentioned in Quebec French it's barely more eyebrow-raising to say "c'est fucké" than to say "it's screwed up" in English.

It's not something you'd say in business meeting when you're trying to impress clients, or even that you'd typically hear from a corner store employee, but you do hear it on the radio and on TV shows for example all the time, and if a man on the street was clipped on the news saying it they wouldn't censor it out. Even a good parent probably wouldn't berate their 13-year-old for saying it.

Other than that in terms of other swear words (which as most people know are generally religious here) the conventions aren't really that different from yours.

You wouldn't expect to hear any employee of any age in any kind of public-facing business say: "Cet hostie de téléphone là c'est de la câlisse de marde!"

But at this point it's not really a blasphemy thing, and more about not appearing classless.

Of course, your kid in the store in Stratford who is bringing out a box for you and who trips and drops everything might lose it and let fly a "fuck" and then say "oh, sorry..."

This type of thing happens in French too.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 7:42 PM

Quote:

I find people swear way too much and the 'c' word is a turn off for me. It has been used on this forum by some posters and I find it distasteful.

I can't understand men who swear a blue streak, every other word is 'f' this or 'f' that or 'sh*t' etc and then amongst ladies suddenly speak without swearing. Why not just speak without swearing every second word. ?

A distressing verbal tick is a good description. People swear so much they don't even realize they are doing it.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 7:58 PM
Registered Drug User

Quote:
If you're talking about the f-word itself, as mentioned in Quebec French it's barely more eyebrow-raising to say "c'est fucké" than to say "it's screwed up" in English.

It's not something you'd say in business meeting when you're trying to impress clients, or even that you'd typically hear from a corner store employee, but you do hear it on the radio and on TV shows for example all the time, and if a man on the street was clipped on the news saying it they wouldn't censor it out. Even a good parent probably wouldn't berate their 13-year-old for saying it.

Other than that in terms of other swear words (which as most people know are generally religious here) the conventions aren't really that different from yours.

You wouldn't expect to hear any employee of any age in any kind of public-facing business say: "Cet hostie de téléphone là c'est de la câlisse de marde!"

But at this point it's not really a blasphemy thing, and more about not appearing classless.

Of course, your kid in the store in Stratford who is bringing out a box for you and who trips and drops everything might lose it and let fly a "fuck" and then say "oh, sorry..."

This type of thing happens in French too.
Your characterization of this makes it sound like Quebec isn't all that different from anglo Canada. Would a billboard in Quebec have any of those religious swear words like in your example above? Would a news report bleep out those swear words if an interviewee used them?

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 8:33 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Your characterization of this makes it sound like Quebec isn't all that different from anglo Canada. Would a billboard in Quebec have any of those religious swear words like in your example above? Would a news report bleep out those swear words if an interviewee used them?
OK I realize I didn't address this point.

I'd say that religious swear words are more permissible than "fuck" would be. I mean in spite of what people said on here, "fuck" is still pretty verboten. You'd never ever hear that on the news or a mainstream talk show for example. You do hear religious swear words on the news and talk shows in Quebec - not all the time but regularly enough.

English is also much more focused on one word. We have multiple ones that are all more or less of equal severity.

https://www.renaud-bray.com/osti_d_jeu.aspx

This is the Quebec version of the game Cards Against Humanity. The French name contains the swear word "Osti". It's an adult game but it's sold everywhere. I don't think you'd have a board game with the word FUCK on the cover of the box sold at Walmart of Toys R Us in Ontario.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 8:38 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I find people swear way too much and the 'c' word is a turn off for me. It has been used on this forum by some posters and I find it distasteful.
I don't say either but it's not really any different than calling a guy a "dick" or "dickhead".

I'd prefer to not hear it but it doesn't really bother me that much.

Old Posted Oct 13, 2021, 8:40 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
I can't understand men who swear a blue streak, every other word is 'f' this or 'f' that or 'sh*t' etc and then amongst ladies suddenly speak without swearing. Why not just speak without swearing every second word. ?

A distressing verbal tick is a good description. People swear so much they don't even realize they are doing it.
Yeah, as I mentioned in another post English swearing is really heavy on the single word "fuck".

It really gets on my nerves when you have people who use it every second word, and use it as a noun, verb, adverb, etc.

We do have many Québécois who swear a lot as well, and that gets on my nerves too but at least there is a greater variety of words! Often one after the other.

"Criss de câlisse de tabarnak d'osti!"

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 1:53 AM
Explorateur urbain

Quote:
Generally swear words are not bleeped out on Quebec tv shows.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 12:35 PM

This got fuckin hilarious

Quote:

I agree with you on the comedy point, but not because it's a swear, any word overused in a sentence like that gets annoying. "Y'know" is another one

Quote:

And how about in French?
Depends what store. Corner store or hardware store, I'd probably just laugh. At a phone store (if it was 2005 and I was using a store to buy a phone), I'd be surprised, but "questioning their mental health" is about ten steps too far.

Quote:
Thing is, I wouldn't use or expect to hear the F-word when hanging around with beers on the deck or wherever unless it was specifically used to make a vociferous point about something reprehensible.

Saying something like "So how the fug's it going these days, dude?" would definitely raise eyebrows.
To me it seems "having beers on the deck" is exactly where I'd expect people more be more liberal with their swearing - a casual environment plus alcohol.

Greetings again, depends on the context.

Coworker at the office? Probably surprising if it was anyone but a select few.

Coworker on the construction site? Basically expected.

Rugby team - "'Sup cunts" is essentially the standard greeting.

But going back to that office coworker - as a greeting it would be weird, but not while actually working. Among equals or my direct manager, "should we include this in the bid or just fuck it?" "yeah fuck it, they can ask for an extra if they need it" wouldn't be out of the ordinary at all. If one of the VPs was around, I follow their lead, but just because they're so variable. One is quite soft-spoken, one will definitely throw in some fucks.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2021, 1:32 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonny24 View Post

To me it seems "having beers on the deck" is exactly where I'd expect people more be more liberal with their swearing - a casual environment plus alcohol.
Yes, but Rousseau accounted for occasional swearing when having beers on the deck. He just wouldn't expect it in every second or third sentence. Though of course this depends on the company you keep.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada