HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 2:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
Regarding the north side of the line and any future developments, it's worth noting that part of the reason for the current lack of density on that side of Kingsway is probably partly due to Burnaby's sole viewcone to/from Central Park.

Which would pose the obvious question.
If all parties were to agree to have a station built here, and in light of the new Provincial regulations for Transit-oriented developments moving forward, would it therefore mean that any development proposals for that section north of the line and Kingsway could then get an exemption to burst Burnaby's only viewcone and build 20, 30 storey towers - being in such close proximity to a (future) skytrain station?

This particular site obviously sits just outside the viewcone which is why these towers can get so tall (comically tall when you consider the Vancouver side of the border all have their towers height-restricted by The Boot.)
I don't have the specific language about the view cone in front of me but I did go look it up last year and my recollection is that the language is significantly less restrictive than Vancouver's - it only stipulates that the view from Brentwood to Swangard should be considered as part of a development and it doesn't state any height limits.

Even if there was a height limit (say you have to be able to see Swangard from the corner of Lougheed/Willingdon) there's still meaningful room to build up to that height limit (like 4-6 stories buildings). FWIW, a height limit based on this criteria is patently absurd considering there are now so many buildings around Brentwood that block the view anyways - the view cone makes no sense from that end.

Topographical map of Burnaby: https://en-ca.topographic-map.com/ma...5%2C-123.01263

Old Posted Feb 2, 2024, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecbin View Post
I don't have the specific language about the view cone in front of me but I did go look it up last year and my recollection is that the language is significantly less restrictive than Vancouver's - it only stipulates that the view from Brentwood to Swangard should be considered as part of a development and it doesn't state any height limits.

Even if there was a height limit (say you have to be able to see Swangard from the corner of Lougheed/Willingdon) there's still meaningful room to build up to that height limit (like 4-6 stories buildings). FWIW, a height limit based on this criteria is patently absurd considering there are now so many buildings around Brentwood that block the view anyways - the view cone makes no sense from that end.

Topographical map of Burnaby: https://en-ca.topographic-map.com/ma...5%2C-123.01263

I'd love to see a developer test this situation in either Burnaby or Vancouver in light of the new provincial transit-focused legislations, and maybe propose something in a site adjacent to a transit stop that exceeds a viewcone limit or even just a general height restriction, to a height they would otherwise not be able to build thanks to a viewcone limit or height restriction.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2024, 3:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spr0ckets View Post
I'd love to see a developer test this situation in either Burnaby or Vancouver in light of the new provincial transit-focused legislations, and maybe propose something in a site adjacent to a transit stop that exceeds a viewcone limit or even just a general height restriction, to a height they would otherwise not be able to build thanks to a viewcone limit or height restriction.
I imagine/bet that in Vancouver there'd be some scuffling as the view cones are well defined and have some public benefit (some more than others) but the Burnaby one is indefensible - the view is already blocked by all the towers in Brentwood (and future ones that are being built). Maybe if Burnaby was protecting something like Vancouver was (the views to the North Shore) then it might restrict some buildings.

If a Boundary/Smith Skytrain station were to ever show up (I'm skeptical) then the whole Garden Village area would be bounded by that station and Patterson and would make for a great spot for tonnes of density. As an owner of a detached home in this area I'd welcome that with open arms as long as I could get a coffee shop or bakery around the corner from me.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2024, 11:42 PM

BCIT Student Housing

From Ledcor twitter Feb 14th:

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 7:52 PM

First few levels are being installed now for the BCIT student housing. Some cladding is up as well. It's more matte than the renderings.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
References to the "view cone" here:

https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/sho...postcount=3891
Does the Viewcone here also include buildings or skylines of interest? I bet it's not restrictive like Vancouver's, pertaining ONLY to a narrow range of Northshore mountains. Extremely stupid.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2024, 7:56 PM

2024-02-10

Riviera

Untitled by Lexus LX600, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 24, 2024, 5:08 PM

Quote:
First few levels are being installed now for the BCIT student housing. Some cladding is up as well. It's more matte than the renderings.
2024-02-23

Old Posted Mar 5, 2024, 12:19 AM

Drone footage of the new BCIT student housing

https://twitter.com/bcitcpf/status/1751010470616789120

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 2:30 AM

2024-03-08

Near Grange Street and Halley Ave

DSC00245 by Lexus RX350, on Flickr

DSC00246 by Lexus RX350, on Flickr

Old Posted Mar 9, 2024, 4:48 PM
victory in near

looks like something may be happening soon at 3802 Hastings. I noticed that the trees are now have the protective orange fence up

quote:
3802 Hastings St.: 161 rental homes, construction expected to start in late 2023. The six-storey building will be for seniors and families with low to moderate incomes. The project includes a 74-space child-care facility. The province is providing about $17.6 million through the Building BC Community Housing Fund, as well as a grant of $10.9 million “to address cost pressures to ensure the project remains affordable.” The Ministry of Education and Child Care is providing a $6.8-million grant for the child-care spaces. The land is owned by the City of Burnaby and will be leased to the non-profit SUCCESS Affordable Housing Society at a nominal fee.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/r...urnaby-7166721

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 8:26 PM

Ethos

Ads for Anthem's "Ethos" have been appearing on Instagram.
Location: 6556, 6566, 6580, and 6596 Marlborough Ave., Burnaby, BC
34 storeys.

https://www.suttonwestcoast.com/pres...hos-by-anthem/

https://ethosbyanthem.com/?utm_sourc...hoCjM4QAvD_BwE

https://www.nestpresales.com/listing...rotown-Burnaby

https://www.nestpresales.com/listing...rotown-Burnaby

Last edited by officedweller; Mar 11, 2024 at 8:48 PM.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 8:39 PM

6596 Marlborough, just east of the handful of new towers at Nelson and Imperial. Rezoning is already approved.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madog222 View Post
6596 Marlborough, just east of the handful of new towers at Nelson and Imperial. Rezoning is already approved.
Thanks - found further info after I dug around a bit.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 10:22 PM

Rezoning and DP for this were already approved a while ago for this project under the previous developers (Accorde Properties) who then sold the project to Anthem not that long ago.

The project is pretty much good to go (in terms of construction) and site clearing has already began with demo' work beginning on the house at the corner, and the two neighbouring apartment buildings to the north (also part of the site) seemingly mostly to completely emptied out with possibly a couple of leases here and there being run out.

They already have a board up at the corner advertising it, so it's not surprising that they 're ramping up advertising elsewhere in other media.

I wonder if it's still fully rental or if they decided to go partially market condo for some of the units.
The initial applications while it was under Accorde seemed to indicate it might be a fully rental development, but Anthem's marketing seems to suggest that they might be going the market route for some of the units anyway.

In any case, it's great to see some progress on this one as it's been in limbo for a while.
The project next door directly to the North (Metro21 by Shokai) has been parked for at least a year before they start their presale push some time next year, but they're also good to go.

That Marlborough to Royal Oak area (And slightly beyond) is about to see some serious activity in the development arena over the next couple of years - especially with the new provincial guidelines coming down the pike and being so close to Royal Oak station.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2024, 11:26 PM

Confederation Park Community Centre starts construction this summer

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4LtJKDBCXP/

Old Posted Mar 12, 2024, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Confederation Park Community Centre starts construction this summer

https://www.instagram.com/p/C4LtJKDBCXP/
That second rendering looks like Senakw (underground areas).

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 11:39 AM

Rosemary Brown Recreation Centre

Burnaby's long-awaited arena to finally open next month
Quote:
After years of delays, Burnaby is set to open Rosemary Brown Recreation Centre and its two NHL-sized rinks April 2.

The new 92,000-square-foot, $54-million arena is located in Edmonds at 7789 18th St.
https://www.burnabynow.com/local-new...medium=twitter

https://www.burnabynow.com/local-new...medium=twitter

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 3:49 PM

Ugly af

Old Posted Mar 16, 2024, 11:13 PM

2024-03-16

Burnaby Fire Hall #8 @SFY/ Burnaby Mountain

Untitled by Lexus RX350, on Flickr

Untitled by Lexus RX350, on Flickr

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Metro Vancouver & the Fraser Valley