HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Jan 26, 2021, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Even though most people would call them both Chiac, that's actually a pretty different speech pattern from that of the teenaged girl.

These two people basically alternate between complete sentences in French (or about 90-95% anyway) and complete sentences entirely in English.

There are quite a few anglicisms in the French but not even close to as many as with the girl.

In her case, the English words are embedded in the French. Even though close to half her words are probably English (or English words morphed into French-sounding ones) the structure of her speech is very predominantly French.

It's quite likely that many people who speak like the girl think they're speaking ''only in French" when they're talking like that.
When you get people who persistently mix languages within sentences, as the girl did, I'm left wondering whether it doesn't indicate that they don't actually speak either language well. You used to hear kids speaking like that in Ottawa, although I can't say I've noticed it in recent years.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada