HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted May 17, 2008, 6:49 PM
North Beach

A bunch of Argenta photos from this morning. The color does seem to match its surroundings. I was afraid it would be Boston beige precast.

Anyone tried this broaster chicken? I haven't.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 2:25 AM
Sonoma Strong

wow. good photos dave.

this confirms that fact that there is no resemblance in this facade at all to the original rendering - im so mad!

Pictures of Santa Rosa, So. Co.

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbay420 View Post
wow. good photos dave.

this confirms that fact that there is no resemblance in this facade at all to the original rendering - im so mad!
Would the city still have approved if this was what was originally submitted?

Old Posted May 18, 2008, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1tyguy View Post
Would the city still have approved if this was what was originally submitted?
Most definitely.

I attended the Planning Commission meeting last Thursday when it approved 4 to 1 1285 Sutter St. (intersection of Sutter and Van Ness, a prominent site). The Commission did not like the previous design and requested a redesign at the previous hearing. They wanted a design that looked more residential, did not have any "look at me" features, with more two bedroom units, and with a setback on Sutter St. (which made it more boxy has it had to fit within a tighter envelope). The new design with its flat top looks like a scaled down SOMA Grand. Only Kathrin Moore, the single design professional on the Commission, expressed concerns about the design. The other Commissioners's reservations had to do with the location of the loading dock (it will be on Sutter St. and may impede traffic), and the lack of on-site inclusionary housing (the developer has opted to instead contribute monies to the city inclusionary housing fund). Commissioner Antonini, a republican, shared none of these concerns. Dwight Alexander used to care about design but he was a Newsom appointee and I understand Newsom asked for and obtained his resignation.

The Commission has a single design professional and the other members do not seem to concern themseleves so much about aesthetics as zoning law, inclusionary housing, traffic, and overall economic development. It probably makes sense.

Last edited by nequidnimis; May 18, 2008 at 7:15 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 4:50 AM
Green Berniecrat

Well, there you go. Planning Commission to the rescue once again

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reminiscence View Post
Well, there you go. Planning Commission to the rescue once again
I don't think the buck stops at the Planning Commission. The Planning Commission reflects the will of City Hall, which in turns reflects the will of the people. You didn't hear an outcry when one of the Commissioners was asked to resign. San Franciscans are probably more interested in inclusionary housing, traffic impact, and overall economic development than aesthetics. And there aren't enough new poorly designed buildings yet to create widespread concern about them.

Last edited by nequidnimis; May 19, 2008 at 3:05 PM.

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 6:30 PM

I am still waiting for the rest of the burkha to be removed, especially with the rounded building corner.

Did they think that the original glass tower design of the Argenta would have clashed with Fox Plaza, AAA Tower and other buildings in the area too much? Apparently having less "look at me" aesthetics may be more appropriate in this situation as well.

As far as looking more residential, I tend to think balconies often do the trick, even in glassier designs.

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 7:13 PM

I hope they take down the billboard on the low rise building at the corner of Market Street. And also replace the Broaster Cafe with a Peets...

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 9:14 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFView View Post
I am still waiting for the rest of the burkha to be removed, especially with the rounded building corner.
Me too. When the covering is removed, I'll walk down and take a look. Until then, I'm withholding judgment.

Quote:
Did they think that the original glass tower design of the Argenta would have clashed with Fox Plaza, AAA Tower and other buildings in the area too much? Apparently having less "look at me" aesthetics may be more appropriate in this situation as well.
I tend to agree with BT that it was value-engineered away. I doubt aesthetics or fitting in with the neighbors came into play, but

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nequidnimis View Post
Most definitely.

I attended the Planning Commission meeting last Thursday when it approved 4 to 1 1285 Sutter St. (intersection of Sutter and Van Ness, a prominent site). The Commission did not like the previous design and requested a redesign at the previous hearing. They wanted a design that looked more residential, did not have any "look at me" features, with more two bedroom units, and with a setback on Sutter St. (which made it more boxy has it had to fit within a tighter envelope). The new design with its flat top looks like a scaled down SOMA Grand. Only Kathrin Moore, the single design professional on the Commission, expressed concerns about the design. The other Commissioners's reservations had to do with the location of the loading dock (it will be on Sutter St. and may impede traffic), and the lack of on-site inclusionary housing (the developer has opted to instead contribute monies to the city inclusionary housing fund). Commissioner Antonini, a republican, shared none of these concerns. Dwight Alexander used to care about design but he was a Newsom appointee and I understand Newsom asked for and obtained his resignation.

The Commission has a single design professional and the other members do not seem to concern themseleves so much about aesthetics as zoning law, inclusionary housing, traffic, and overall economic development. It probably makes sense.
Thanks for the update on 1285 Sutter. I live on Cathedral Hill, so I'm looking forward to having a Trader Joe's in the neighborhood.

Old Posted May 19, 2008, 10:55 PM

Downtown Dave - Thanks for the nice pictures. Though the Argenta is not what was advertised (more stores added and less glass - the original artist rendition was vague to me) I like what I see. I suspect that what was envisioned originally would have been too much colored glass. Sitting between the white AAA building and the beige Fox Plaza the nuetral gray works. I live across the street in the Archstone Fox Plaza (which a good source tells me is on the market again!) and I think it will be a welcome neighbor.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 12:31 AM

The latest from John King is on SFGate.

Tomorrow's San Francisco, on view today
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DDJN10MFKV.DTL

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
...I tend to agree with BT that it was value-engineered away. I doubt aesthetics or fitting in with the neighbors came into play, but
...Or it could be a bit of both? ...And in addition to saving money, it may also be more energy efficient.

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 4:10 AM

It might be a bit of a stretch, with AAA on one side and Fox Plaza on the other, but I am wondering if the height reduction of the Argenta is due to its proximity to Government Center Plaza and Proposition K, which prohibits new tall buildings from casting significant shadows on public squares...

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 4:20 AM
Pacific Wonderland

Argenta is dreadful. At least it will disappear on foggy days.

It has company in the awful office buildings nearby.

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted May 20, 2008, 10:43 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
Downtown Dave - Thanks for the nice pictures. Though the Argenta is not what was advertised (more stores added and less glass - the original artist rendition was vague to me) I like what I see. I suspect that what was envisioned originally would have been too much colored glass. Sitting between the white AAA building and the beige Fox Plaza the nuetral gray works. I live across the street in the Archstone Fox Plaza (which a good source tells me is on the market again!) and I think it will be a welcome neighbor.
Indeed, you seem to be right on the issue:

Quote:
ReadersReport: Fox Plaza On The Market?

From a plugged-in tipster:

I have it on by a good source that the Archstone Fox Plaza is on the market again. The new owner evidently does not want the Fox Plaza in its portfolio.

The main lobby has been recently remodeled. The Ruth Asawa fountain sculpture was ripped out and redecorated with black river rock; the oxnyx columns covered with dark wood; a retro 1950s carpet.

The “new owner” reference leads us to believe it’s only the first twelve floors of the 29-story building that’s being shopped (i.e., office not residential), unfortunately no update on the 250 condos on the corner (tipsters?), and we’ll now observe a moment of silence for the Asawa (and note the second reference in as many weeks).

UPDATE: Forget the first twelve floors, according to a plugged-in reader: "the whole building is being quietly offered by archstone-smith. 150M."
Source: Socketsite.com

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 2:42 AM

According to curbed.com , the disney store on union square is closing down! I'm quite happy about that, the place is really tacky!

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi123 View Post
...the disney store on union square is closing down! I'm quite happy about that...!
My four year old daughter wouldn't be...

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 8:07 PM
Green Berniecrat

Quote:
My four year old daughter wouldn't be...
I'm with her on this one, neither will I. Outside of bringing a little childish atmosphere to the area, I used to go there to buy gifts for my cousin.

Old Posted May 22, 2008, 8:36 PM

Not entirely surprising...Disney just bought back their 220 stores from The Children's Place and plan to close nearly 100 of them.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations