HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 28, 2020, 9:34 PM
surely you agree with me

I heard yesterday that Sherbrook flats is 100% rented....except the CMU's.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
I just don't get why CRU's are so slow to fill here where in other cities they are quickly snatched up.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 5:24 PM

I find that really frustrating as well. I suspect there still just isn't enough people with disposable income living in our inner city neighbourhoods to make opening a nice storefront viable right now. As depressing as that is. My friend who moved here from Toronto says that the thing that Winnipeg is really missing is any kind of commercial density. I was just in Quebec City two weekends ago and that same friend and I went for a walk in a more local area of the city and I was taken aback by the number of occupied storefronts everywhere. It was impressive for a city with a lower population than us.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 11:24 PM

Cru's

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyGarden View Post
I find that really frustrating as well. I suspect there still just isn't enough people with disposable income living in our inner city neighbourhoods to make opening a nice storefront viable right now. As depressing as that is. My friend who moved here from Toronto says that the thing that Winnipeg is really missing is any kind of commercial density. I was just in Quebec City two weekends ago and that same friend and I went for a walk in a more local area of the city and I was taken aback by the number of occupied storefronts everywhere. It was impressive for a city with a lower population than us.
I am a huge proponent of Winnipeg but...factually, Quebec city is more European in its thinking..people here want to go to an enclosed mall or drive up big box store with free parking idea..We have a less sophisticated general population here..sometimes you walk more in those big box lots than inner city spots, all perception. It seems, prepared foods, bakeries are doing well..even with so many on the Keto/Atkins diet..Not something you order on line. lol

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 12:22 AM

These specific CRUs on Sherbrook likely aren’t being leased because they’re in a bit of a desert. That block is so inhospitable to humans, and across the street the entire block is a huge parking lot with 4 small buildings - 1 empty, two drive thrus. That block was designed for vehicles.

Hopefully this building, the new ones going up on Sherbrook just south of Broadway, and the old McNaught lot start driving up attractiveness and property values in the area. Then maybe the Tim’s/McDonalds land becomes to ripe for big mixed use development to keep as is.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
These specific CRUs on Sherbrook likely aren’t being leased because they’re in a bit of a desert. That block is so inhospitable to humans, and across the street the entire block is a huge parking lot with 4 small buildings - 1 empty, two drive thrus. That block was designed for vehicles.

Hopefully this building, the new ones going up on Sherbrook just south of Broadway, and the old McNaught lot start driving up attractiveness and property values in the area. Then maybe the Tim’s/McDonalds land becomes to ripe for big mixed use development to keep as is.
This has always bugged me so much. Such a large swathe of land in a prime urban area and it has shitty one-story fast food restaurants in a sea of parking.

I agree that's why the CRUs aren't rented. Think about what it's like driving north on Sherbrooke. Up until broadway you drive slow and have businesses and residences lining the street. It has a quaint and appealing vibe. As soon as you hit Broadway you hit the gas and blow through to wherever it is you're going. It would be nice to continue the street wall and village-vibe up up to Portage to connect with the street life there.

Mid-rises with all these businesses on the main floor would be so perfect there but I wonder if that will happen in my lifetime (and I'm not old haha)

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 6:25 PM

^ Those fast food joints on the site of the former car dealership were built at the tail end of the "anything goes" era when even something as crappy as a Tim's with parking lot and drive thru was welcome in a highly urban area. Had the site been redeveloped even 5 years later I'm sure it would have looked much different.

The good news is that with those buildings around 20 years old now, it is possible that we could possibly see something happen with that site in the next decade or so.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2020, 6:58 PM
BANNED

none of those places are going to give up all their parking spaces, especially as the city moves towards trying to get more people driving. Urban redevelopment of most of these lots, especially on highways like Portage, seems pretty unlikely right now

Old Posted Mar 23, 2020, 3:41 PM

I had heard that construction on the mix-use building going at the old McNaught site was supposed to start late spring/early summer. Not sure if COVID will effect that date at all.

Old Posted Mar 26, 2020, 9:28 PM

McNaught site 20 floor + residential tower

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I had heard that construction on the mix-use building going at the old McNaught site was supposed to start late spring/early summer. Not sure if COVID will effect that date at all.
Does anyone have a rendering on what it might look like?

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 3:02 AM

Nygard’s going down in flames and I couldn’t be happier. The corner of Broadway and Sherbrook could suddenly be seeing major changes for the better. The further extension of Sherbrook south towards Portage could be taking another step! Who knows but reasons to hope are here.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...sale-1.5549951

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 8:43 AM
Back from the dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post
I just don't get why CRU's are so slow to fill here where in other cities they are quickly snatched up.
Pretty sure there just isn't the critical mass necessary in terms of traffic.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinCitySparky View Post
Nygard’s going down in flames and I couldn’t be happier. The corner of Broadway and Sherbrook could suddenly be seeing major changes for the better. The further extension of Sherbrook south towards Portage could be taking another step! Who knows but reasons to hope are here.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...sale-1.5549951
don't agree with Nygard way of doing business and personal behaviour, however you have to admit he doesnt skimp on making his building look nice. his factory in Inkster industrial park is a nicer industrial building than any other. I think that Broadway corner will be empty for quite some time. retail is not bursting these days.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 1:44 PM
the first stamp is free

^ there is no forgiving what they knocked down to create their suburban chic parking lot on Sherbrook. Just bad bad bad.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 1:49 PM

Hope new investors can tear that place down and build new residential there.

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg_Guy View Post
Hope new investors can tear that place down and build new residential there.
Man that would be nice. Dreams are good to have.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 3:24 PM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpWpg View Post

I'm patiently waiting for a pizza joint to open up.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 4:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ there is no forgiving what they knocked down to create their suburban chic parking lot on Sherbrook. Just bad bad bad.
What used to be there? Google Street View seems to only go back as far as 2007, where you can see the vacant lot...

Old Posted Apr 30, 2020, 4:12 PM
the first stamp is free

^ IIRC it was a turn of the century 2 or 3 storey brick construction block with commercial along Sherbrook and possibly apartments up top.

There was a Vietnamese restaurant there (Champions?) that I went to a few times.

Old Posted May 1, 2020, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
^ IIRC it was a turn of the century 2 or 3 storey brick construction block with commercial along Sherbrook and possibly apartments up top.

There was a Vietnamese restaurant there (Champions?) that I went to a few times.
So basically the exact same building that we now want built already existed there like 15 years ago?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan