HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 1:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykl View Post
Was at Massine's twice on Saturday. First in the morning to stock up because I didn't really have any food at home at all (lol) and it was all very civil and quite well stocked. When I went back in the afternoon for a few items that I'd forgotten, the story was busier but somehow BETTER STOCKED than in the morning. A far cry from the situations I've seen in the suburbs.

I also find it interesting that Ottawa is going so crazy about toilet paper. From my downtown apartment I can literally walk to a toilet paper factory aka Kreuger.

Toilet paper is being restocked today and tonight in most grocery stores in the Ottawa-Gatineau area, I know because I looked into it.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radster View Post
Toilet paper is being restocked today and tonight in most grocery stores in the Ottawa-Gatineau area, I know because I looked into it.
I was wondering about that - I thought most supermarkets re-stocked on Wed or Thurs (gearing up for the weekly sales beginning Fridays), but perhaps the shortages mean two deliveries rather than one. Will be interesting to see whether they can keep it on the shelves or whether they impose restrictions on amounts.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 2:50 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

How are canned goods’ supplies here?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 2:54 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
How are canned goods’ supplies here?
From what I gather there is still lots of stuff on the shelves but certain stores may occasionally be out of certain things sometimes.

(Of course even that scenario is a once-in-a-lifetime thing for most of us. We've always been used to always having pretty much everything we want/need instantly available to us.)

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 3:40 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I was shopping at the Walmart in Waterloo, ON and surprised that I was still able to get lots of canned food.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 4:15 PM

A co-worker's family just came home from Mexico and have started the 14 day self-isolation. The question has come up about my co-worker himself who lives with them.

It is so easy for public employees whether they need to be at work or not. For private business, it gets more complicated and the repercussions can be serious for both the business and the employee.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 4:32 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
A co-worker's family just came home from Mexico and have started the 14 day self-isolation. The question has come up about my co-worker himself who lives with them.

It is so easy for public employees whether they need to be at work or not. For private business, it gets more complicated and the repercussions can be serious for both the business and the employee.
People need to get serious about self-isolation. Your co-worker either needs to work from home, or should have found somewhere else to live if he works in an office environment.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitchissippi View Post
People need to get serious about self-isolation. Your co-worker either needs to work from home, or should have found somewhere else to live if he works in an office environment.
Talk to my boss. He doesn't really take anything seriously.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 4:54 PM
Busy Beaver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrt's friend View Post
Talk to my boss. He doesn't really take anything seriously.
Well then that battle is lost. The whole thing about "being in this together" is everyone knowing the facts and following the regulations.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 8:27 PM

This sort of situation will show how much we really depend on imports, and how we should probably start looking at ways to be more self sufficient. Build vertical farms. Build indoor farms. Use Canadian steel and materials. Though governments focus a lot on free-trade, it will no longer be realistic if these types of pandemics become more common.

I wonder how this pandemic might effect large construction projects like transit lines, bridges and Parliament renovations.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
This sort of situation will show how much we really depend on imports, and how we should probably start looking at ways to be more self sufficient. Build vertical farms. Build indoor farms. Use Canadian steel and materials. Though governments focus a lot on free-trade, it will no longer be realistic if these types of pandemics become more common.

I wonder how this pandemic might effect large construction projects like transit lines, bridges and Parliament renovations.
The return of the backyard veggie patch and home canning?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2020, 9:10 PM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVader_1961 View Post
I am a fed... non critical, so no work for 3 weeks
Haven't been sent home here, but we are encouraged to call an emergency number every morning to make sure the office isn't closed. Otherwise, business as usual.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
Yep, I got pneumonia during the 2009 bus strike. Thanks for mentioning the correlation. It never occurred to me.
Correlation?

Old Posted Mar 17, 2020, 7:11 PM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
Correlation?
Tel que discuté :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uhuniau View Post
My sympathies. I had something that turned into pneumonia in 2018, and every minor cold since has become very nasty and resulted in further (thankfully false) pneumonia alerts.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 1:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Bates View Post
Tel que discuté :
But... that's not to do with the strike?

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 1:31 AM

It's.... spooky out there tonight.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 2:31 AM

So, 3 people from Ciena diagnosed with COVID-19. We need a graph like they have in Singapore: https://co.vid19.sg/cases

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 2:36 AM

We could never have a graph like Singapore because we are too large and unorganized a country with too much ingress and egress.

Life is going to be EXTREMELY different here in 5 and 10 and 30 and 90 days my friends. Not a whole lot of good news will come until there is a vaccine.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 11:39 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa Senators player becomes first NHLer to test positive for COVID-19
"All members of the Ottawa Senators are requested to remain isolated."

Alison Mah, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: March 18, 2020

An Ottawa Senators player is the first National Hockey League player to test positive for COVID-19.

The player, who was not identified, had mild symptoms and is in isolation, the Senators said in a statement released just before midnight Tuesday.

The club said it was in the process of notifying anyone who had been in close contact with the player.

“As a result of this positive case, all members of the Ottawa Senators are requested to remain isolated, to monitor their health and seek advice from our team medical staff,” the statement said.

“The health of our players, fans, and community remains our highest priority. We will continue to do everything we can to help ensure our players, staff, fans and the greater community remain safe and healthy during this time of uncertainty due to the spread of the coronavirus.”

Previously, there had been more than a half-dozen in the National Basketball Association — two with the Utah Jazz, one with the Detroit Pistons and four with the New Jersey Nets — as of Tuesday evening.

Before the NHL suspended regular-season play last Thursday, the Senators had played three road games in California, including one in San Jose, where Santa Clara County health officials issued strong advisories at the start of the novel coronavirus outbreak in that region.

The Senators were supposed to fly to Chicago for a road game against the Blackhawks on Friday, but instead returned to Ottawa after the NHL announced the indefinite suspension of the season.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...itive-covid-19

Old Posted Mar 18, 2020, 11:49 AM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

What's more damaging, COVID-19 or the panic over it?
It is difficult to gauge the level of fear here, but our leaders are doing all they can to stoke it.

Randall Denley, Ottawa Citizen
Updated: March 17, 2020

There is always a stark contrast between Florida and Ottawa in March, but never more than now.

Last weekend, I made a homeward-bound stop in the charming northern Florida town of Fernandina Beach, which seemed to have declared a COVID-19 awareness-free-zone. Bars and restaurants were packed, people browsed in shops and there wasn’t a hint of the worldwide virus panic.

One restaurant provided a mixture of oil and sea salt in the bathroom, so everyone could dip their fingers into it for some all-important exfoliation. When my wife suggested that perhaps that wasn’t too smart, given the virus situation, an employee said they were thinking about taking it out, the next day.

Arriving back in Ottawa, we found a city that is largely shut down, the virus the dominant fact of local life. It is difficult to gauge the level of fear here, but our leaders are doing all they can to stoke it.

Are Floridians under-reacting or are we over-reacting, and what is the rational path?

At this point, the panic has had far greater impact than the disease itself. The Canadian economy is going into recession, people’s jobs are threatened and their life savings have been drastically reduced by the stock market collapse, all over an infection that had, as of Tuesday morning, about 440 cases and four deaths.

To put that in context, there have been more than 35,000 cases of the normal, boring influenza A and influenza B in Canada so far this flu season, according to Infection Prevention and Control Canada. Each year, between 500 and 1,500 people die from these types of influenza, yet most Canadians can’t even be bothered to get a flu shot.

Flu of any type can be serious for the elderly and those with compromised immune systems, but for all others the chance of dying from the new COVID-19 is remarkably low. And yet, most governments are reacting as if it were the bubonic plague.

Their policy approach is well-intentioned. No one wants see people die of disease and people have been conditioned to expect that when there is a problem, government must have a solution. That belief will be sorely tested by COVID-19.

Governments’ main tool is to shut down all non-essential activity for two weeks in the hope that the rate of increase in new cases will flatten out or even decline. It might well do, but then what? We can’t ask people to stay home indefinitely, and it’s not realistic to expect that we can turn our country into a virus-free environment.

Canada has closed its borders, with the rather large exception of allowing in up to 330 million Americans. Some have wondered why we didn’t bar them, too. The simple answer is that we can’t, if we still hope to have food and an economy. That leaves us vulnerable to America’s patchwork response to COVID-19, but it’s unavoidable.

Sure, we can ask Canadians to self-isolate for 14 days when returning from the U.S., but what’s the point? Infection rates are no higher there than they are here and Americans flow into Canada every day.

The most pressing reason to attempt to control the infection rate is the shocking, but not surprising, state of Ontario’s health care system. Americans have expressed some concern because their hospital occupancy rate is 65 per cent. In Ottawa, we are routinely at full capacity and beyond. If there is one problem governments need to fix, this is it. We are poorly positioned to handle any big disease outbreak. COVID-19 ought to be a wake-up call on that.

Sometime soon, Canadians and their governments will need to step back and ask if our attempts to contain COVID-19 are effective or sustainable. The answer is unlikely to be encouraging.

Randall Denley is an Ottawa political commentator and author. Contact him at randalldenley1@gmail.com

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/co...ions_top_pages

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion