HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 1:26 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by soled View Post
They're probably 7 months or so away from opening. What's the typical timeframe for pre-announcing schedules for new transit like this?
Good question, and I don't remember the timeframe for announcements of service levels back in 2008 when light rail service started. I guess it's good not to announce too early because conditions can change quickly, especially with the impact of the pandemic.

Here's some more coverage I just read. Apparently, construction accelerated during the pandemic, but the pandemic has delayed production of the vehicles. As a result, service won't begin until fall. That's probably for the best because it is unlikely ASU will be back to typical levels of campus activity before then.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ng/6443457002/

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 4:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exit2lef View Post
Good question, and I don't remember the timeframe for announcements of service levels back in 2008 when light rail service started. I guess it's good not to announce too early because conditions can change quickly, especially with the impact of the pandemic.

Here's some more coverage I just read. Apparently, construction accelerated during the pandemic, but the pandemic has delayed production of the vehicles. As a result, service won't begin until fall. That's probably for the best because it is unlikely ASU will be back to typical levels of campus activity before then.

Agreed, that seems like a more ideal time to kick it off considering the timeline estimates for vaccine distribution leading to any type of return to normalcy. By then the multiple residential buildings and hotels should also be ready to go putting the largest ever population density in DT Tempe.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 10:47 PM

Quote:

Yes, of course. Due to COVID-19. The production was delayed in Brookville, PA. Tempe Streetcar won't delivery this year. They will definitely be delivery for next year. I am not quite sure when they will be delivery. We'll find out when they are ready to be delivery.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 5:44 PM
Modulator

Quote:
I think they're already in use. They're purple and the seats inside are not upholstered as they were on the original cars.
I'm out in Downtown daily walking around and also still riding every couple of days. I have not seen any new cars yet on the tracks yet. The old ones have been getting a new purple paint job which may look like new cars, but they are the old ones still.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 5:46 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I'm out in Downtown daily walking around and also still riding every couple of days. I have not seen any new cars yet on the tracks yet. The old ones have been getting a new purple paint job which may look like new cars, but they are the old ones still.
Thanks. I guess the frayed upholstery is being removed and replaced with hard seating as part of the renovation process.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:33 AM
Modulator

Just an update article of the Central Ave/I-17 bridge construction with a picture showing the progress:
https://www.constructionequipmentgui...-project/50589

Edit: Also found a good 22 minute of the history of Phoenix freeways. Long video to watch, but has some updated shots of Downtown occasionally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK5t0FaUYLc

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 7:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
Just an update article of the Central Ave/I-17 bridge construction with a picture showing the progress:
https://www.constructionequipmentgui...-project/50589

Edit: Also found a good 22 minute of the history of Phoenix freeways. Long video to watch, but has some updated shots of Downtown occasionally.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK5t0FaUYLc
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing! I wondered why they didn't have a wider on I-17 bridge/Central Ave. Because the I-17 is too narrow. Not enough space. So today, they will constructed a new I-17 bridge/Central Ave. This is for the future. Because of this, those people are complaining about traffic.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Very interesting! Thanks for sharing! I wondered why they didn't have a wider on I-17 bridge/Central Ave. Because the I-17 is too narrow. Not enough space. So today, they will constructed a new I-17 bridge/Central Ave. This is for the future. Because of this, those people are complaining about traffic.
Its a 60 something year old bridge that is too small and I dont think the light rail will fit under it.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Its a 60 something year old bridge that is too small and I dont think the light rail will fit under it.
Actually, they will go under the bridge. They shouldn't have any issues.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N830MH View Post
Actually, they will go under the bridge. They shouldn't have any issues.
yes but thats why they need a new bridge I think

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 3:38 PM
self-important urbanista

The bridge is being replaced for a variety of reasons:

It's too low to accommodate light rail.
It's too narrow to accommodate future freeway widening.
It's old and would eventually reach the end of its lifespan anyway.

https://azdot.gov/projects/central-d...uction-project

Old Posted Dec 5, 2020, 6:58 PM

South Phoenix light rail extension gets $638 million in federal funding

Apparently this is in addition to the $200 million in money already allotted from the DOT.

PHOENIX — The South Central light rail extension in Phoenix will receive $638 million from the United States Department of Transportation to help complete the project, Arizona Democratic Senators Kyrsten Sinema and Mark Kelly said in a press release Friday.

Full article from KTAR News:

https://ktar.com/story/3730955/south...deral-funding/

Old Posted Dec 6, 2020, 5:06 PM
self-important urbanista

RIP GRID bike share

It’s going away at the end of the year:

https://buff.ly/2VG7jQT

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 3:38 AM

Disappointing - for now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
That's very disappointing to me, I had put that project in the back of my mind thinking it was a done deal. It was going to help revitalize VB.
I have previously (naively perhaps for Phx) suggested Van Buren was ripe for redevelopment; not much has changed. With all the vertical development downtown it's only a matter of time before development goes "infill" horizontal. The hottest corridors off downtown Denver are in industrial mish-mash areas. Makes redevelopment easier, cheaper as well as accommodating interesting adaptive reuse.

Bit of a chicken-egg case but when Van Buren becomes more 'livable' from added redevelopment then the demand for being 'walkable' will also grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRay View Post
It was designed one way before, was designed a different way, and can be designed yet another way. $$ will be spent either way, and it's time to reconsider the car-first and car-only planning. There is always pushback (the constant refrain on these boards is the cry against NIMBYs, who just resist change). Other cities make these changes all the time, and it's time for Phoenix to continue to push towards multipurpose transportation that doesn't pit walkers against drivers against bicyclists against.... It's well past time.

FWIW, I walk by these protected bicycle tracks being put in, and I can't wait to see who uses them. I don't have a bike, but everybody in the neighborhood is excited about them.

Quote:
I wonder where Take Five went. I used to have this debate with that forum member all the time.
I was hoping if I left you time and space..... You'd figure it out on your own.

Long story, actually stories but I took a long, long blog break due to various time-consuming interests.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichTempe View Post
Apparently this is in addition to the $200 million in money already allotted from the DOT.

PHOENIX — The South Central light rail extension in Phoenix will receive $638 million from the United States Department of Transportation to help complete the project, Arizona Democratic Senators Kyrsten Sinema and Mark Kelly said in a press release Friday.

Full article from KTAR News:

https://ktar.com/story/3730955/south...deral-funding/
That is super impressive.

It's breaks out as a "$530 million from the Federal Transit Administration’s Capital Investment Grants Program. The other $108 million comes from the Federal Highway Administration."

I also wondered if that was on top of the previous $200 million; likely the case as those were other topic grants.

With an updated project cost estimate of ~$1 billion that is $182 million per mile; par for the course in 2020. The $530 ml FTA grant is very generous; add in the $108 mil and that is 64% of estimated costs. Phoenix is living right!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 12:31 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post

I was hoping if I left you time and space..... You'd figure it out on your own.

Long story, actually stories but I took a long, long blog break due to various time-consuming interests.

Good to have you back no matter what.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 12:34 PM
Skyriser

The FHWA grant is interesting ... wouldn't mind reading the award statement. I'm guessing it's there to upgrade ancient Central Ave bridge and underpass?

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 2:41 PM

Quote:
It’s going away at the end of the year:

https://buff.ly/2VG7jQT
Not surprising given the rise of electric scooters.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:05 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Not surprising given the rise of electric scooters.
I think scooters and bikes complement each other more than they compete. GRID seemed shiny and new when it launched in 2014 but did not age well. The last few times I tried to rent a bike, I found so many of them inoperable that I gave up. Maybe the business model didn't do enough to foresee ongoing fleet maintenance and replacement needs.

Whatever happened, the final nail in the coffin might have been the pandemic. Although people have been bicycling a lot more since March, that hasn't translated into use of bike share because people are less likely to be riding light rail and spending time in urban centers where bike share is concentrated. Plus, exaggerated fears of germy surfaces might have dissuaded use of shared assets in the early days of the pandemic.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 5:59 PM
Skyriser

I'm in San José which is very similar to Phoenix in the urban form in and around downtown and the Lyft bikes are well in use still. I suppose this is because Lyft has the capital to burn while GRID floundered with the difficulties exit2lef mentioned.

Did GRID have any corporate partnerships? Lyft bikes here are extensively sponsored by Alaska Airlines with monument signs next to the stations. Also the bikes here can be left anywhere (which of course blocks the sidewalk) and I know Phoenix had crazy regulations for scooters.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2020, 6:01 PM

Phoenix takes its turn as the whipping boy

Phoenix Leaders Are Climate Hypocrites
Dec 4, 2020 By Joe Cortright - Streetsblog
Quote:
You can’t be a climate mayor — and your city can’t be a climate city — if you’re constantly widening freeways.

One doesn’t have to look far to find a city that is pledging to be much, much better (in a few decades), while its current efforts are failing perceptibly, and it’s actively spending money that will make the problem worse.

Image courtesy City of Phoenix

Going faster—in the wrong direction

Source

FWIW, I am not your climate activist; maybe climate-interested would peg me better. It's fair to say that cleaner is better than dirty.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest