HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 12:01 PM

APPROVED

550 University Ave Occupancy Permit:
Addition to central utility building

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siriusb View Post
They have removed the left hand turn arrow and have a no-left hand turn sign on the median pole. Looks like they must have had a lot of feedback on this idea. It was all the university's idea to have that left turn and use the inside lane. If there is going to be a left, the median barrier has to go. There isn't one at the Browns Ct intersection, why should there be one here. For now, the left is gone.
A crew removed the median this morning to make way for a proper left turning lane.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGK View Post
A crew removed the median this morning to make way for a proper left turning lane.
What a waste of money. That’s hilarious. I’m glad they fixed it now though rather than wait for something bad to happen.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
What a waste of money. That’s hilarious. I’m glad they fixed it now though rather than wait for something bad to happen.
I noticed that today. Glad someone used their brain cells and let common sense prevail!! If they had done it right the first time they would have saved a bundle of money. Glad the city stood up and made it known that it wasn't correct and put their foot down.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 3:01 AM

Quote:
I noticed that today. Glad someone used their brain cells and let common sense prevail!! If they had done it right the first time they would have saved a bundle of money. Glad the city stood up and made it known that it wasn't correct and put their foot down.
The whole situation is bizarre. I can’t build a deck in my yard without pre approved plans that meet the building code, yet UPEI can do whatever they want to a public street, and the work goes unchecked until people start complaining? So many questions, I wish we had a decent newspaper.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Paving has begun and the markings will soon follow I'm sure. I wonder if they will now remove the gateways into the UPEI Alumni building on University Ave.. Hmmm, I wonder!

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 3:37 PM

There is a request in front of City Council, to expand the existing Canadian Tire at Babineau Ave. by 28,000 sq ft. I think the current building is roughly 105,000 sq ft +/-. This will bring the store close to 135,000 sq ft.

Excerpt of request;

https://charlottetown.ca/common/page...temId=17188870

Last edited by billy1; Dec 1, 2020 at 4:37 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 8:48 PM

UPEI Residence

BEFORE

AFTER

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:02 PM

Blaze Pizza and UPEI

The 5 storey south building's steel is nearing completion. Notice the first and fifth floors are higher than the middle floors. This has been one large project!
At Blaze Pizza, the lot has been paved its first coat and the framing is complete and is closing in.
Quite a transformation to the Ave!

Last edited by Siriusb; Dec 2, 2020 at 4:32 AM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 9:05 PM

24 Water Street

The final 4th floor is framed and closed in. Work is continuing on the apartments next to it.

Last edited by Siriusb; Dec 1, 2020 at 11:48 PM.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2020, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy1 View Post
There is a request in front of City Council, to expand the existing Canadian Tire at Babineau Ave. by 28,000 sq ft. I think the current building is roughly 105,000 sq ft +/-. This will bring the store close to 135,000 sq ft.
https://charlottetown.ca/common/page...temId=17188870
It's nice to see the Charlottetown economy moving along nicely with CDN Tire investing in an expansion.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 4:43 AM

Blaze

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 2:23 PM

Bio-Manufacturing Facility

The new 20,000-square-foot bio-manufacturing facility is under construction in Charlottetown's West Royalty Industrial Park.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I agree. It will not be too long before Charlottetown's POPCTR exceeds 50,000. By the time the CA gets above 100,000, the POPCTR population likely won't be an impediment to the city achieving CMA status.

Either 2036 or 2041 I would think.
Do students ever get counted into these numbers as the 7000+ students that go to HC and UPEI would easily push it over the 50,000 mark. If not, at least we know that it is.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 3:14 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Do students ever get counted into these numbers as the 7000+ students that go to HC and UPEI would easily push it over the 50,000 mark. If not, at least we know that it is.
No, only permanent residents are counted towards the POPCTR. Let's put it this way - if you are a student living in residence, you would be considered transient. If however you are a student living in off campus housing, and you live in the city year round (despite your parents living in another community), then you would be a permanent resident and would be counted towards the POPCTR population total.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
No, only permanent residents are counted towards the POPCTR. Let's put it this way - if you are a student living in residence, you would be considered transient. If however you are a student living in off campus housing, and you live in the city year round (despite your parents living in another community), then you would be a permanent resident and would be counted towards the POPCTR population total.
I figured it probably was like this. Thanks! I'm not sure the ratio of this but I know those living off campus are more than those living on campus at least at UPEI. The new residence will increase those living on campus to 15%. I wonder what the numbers are? Interesting!

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 11:32 PM

Quote:
The whole situation is bizarre. I can’t build a deck in my yard without pre approved plans that meet the building code, yet UPEI can do whatever they want to a public street, and the work goes unchecked until people start complaining? So many questions, I wish we had a decent newspaper.
It is officially a left hand turn lane with all the markings!! They added them today.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2020, 11:51 PM

DEMOLITION OF PROPERTY IN THE 500 LOT AREA – 68 QUEEN STREET

As per the engineering firms recommendation, demolition of 68 Queen is imminent. Several renderings have been brought forward with replacing the building with a four storey mixed building. This is one of the renderings. The others are still four storey but the exteriors consist of different building materials.

Last edited by Siriusb; Dec 4, 2020 at 10:44 AM.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 5:37 PM

UPEI

Old Posted Dec 4, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
DEMOLITION OF PROPERTY IN THE 500 LOT AREA – 68 QUEEN STREET

As per the engineering firms recommendation, demolition of 68 Queen is imminent. Several renderings have been brought forward with replacing the building with a four storey mixed building. This is one of the renderings. The others are still four storey but the exteriors consist of different building materials.

The city really needs to stop permitting metal siding, it looks like complete sh*t. Thankfully Queen Street frontage will be brick, but that drawing says Dorchester frontage will be metal. Hopefully design review throws it out.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces