HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 7:06 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baconboy007 View Post
Doesn't the 1100 block of Chestnut have a huge redevelopment going on at the very moment that will bring in a Target and new Liquor store? Across from that the Market East construction is set to overflow on to Chestnut with it's final phases.

1500 block has a couple shoe stores, a modells, and an H&M. It also has a Five Guys, who can complain about that!?!

The 1500 block of Chestnut does have some crummy facades plastered on top of what may have once been nice buildings and not a lot of height. Shouldn't that be the argument on this page? Not rif raf...
1000 block has the development project that will have Target. That block (especially north side) is dead currently. naturally it will be better once Target opens. People here like half empty blocks as long as they dont think "rif raf" (you figure out what that means) isn't often seen on the block or patronizing businesses on that block. One thing is for sure, a block with only 50% of its street frontage occupied by actual stores or restaurants doesn't attract a lot of rif raf or much of anything else. The 1200 and 1300 blocks of Chestnut are still struggling-hopefully that will change over next few years. The supposedly scary 1500 block has Staples, Five Guys, a new Five Below, Finish Line, H&M, Wells Fargo, Liberty travel, etc. A real retail ghetto indeed.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 7:14 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
Not sure why.
Because you completely missed my point.

My point had jack squat to do with leasing or demographics. It was the simple observation that a bunch of 2- and 3-story structures is not the highest and best use of 1200 FAR (plus CC density bonuses?) CMX-5 zoning.

That, in the end, is what will drive redevelopment, especially in a market as hot as Center City's. The arbitrage between potential supply (what zoning allows) and present supply (what's currently there).

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 7:20 PM

Nashville developer selected to build first UCity Square apartment building

Quote:
Southern Land Co. has been selected to develop the first residential building planned for the University City Science Center campus-expansion project known as uCity Square, a company official said.

The Nashville-based developer will soon begin design work on the roughly 300-unit, five- or six-story apartment building at 3700 Lancaster Ave., said Dustin Downey, director of multifamily development.

Downey spoke Wednesday at the unveiling of the company's 3601 Market apartment project, the first residential building on the campus's existing footprint. Southern Land is also planning a residential tower at 1911 Walnut St. beside Rittenhouse Square.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...QdLjDHKPPUD.99

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 7:36 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
Because you completely missed my point.

My point had jack squat to do with leasing or demographics. It was the simple observation that a bunch of 2- and 3-story structures is not the highest and best use of 1200 FAR (plus CC density bonuses?) CMX-5 zoning.

That, in the end, is what will drive redevelopment, especially in a market as hot as Center City's. The arbitrage between potential supply (what zoning allows) and present supply (what's currently there).
a lot of those buildings are old and I dont agree they should be leveled for larger buildings just to increase density. CC has more pressing issues. That is MY point. The obession with this part of chestnut street is bizarre to say the least.

Anyway, didn't hear about this before:

http://www.westphillylocal.com/2015/...rian-friendly/

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 7:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Nashville developer selected to build first UCity Square apartment building

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...QdLjDHKPPUD.99
wow, 300 more units right around the corner from 3601 Market. A lot of inventory hitting UC these days. Hopefully there is demand.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 7:43 PM

Old day care building getting demolished next to the McDonald's on Girard near Front St. Anyone know what may be in the works?

http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...on-east-girard

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 7:43 PM

Quote:

Anyway, didn't hear about this before:

http://www.westphillylocal.com/2015/...rian-friendly/
Did the port-a-potty's turn into flower pots? That's amazing!

Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 8:27 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
a lot of those buildings are old and I don't agree they should be leveled for larger buildings just to increase density. CC has more pressing issues. That is MY point. The obsession with this part of chestnut street is bizarre to say the least.
And my point is that whether you personally agree or not is utterly irrelevant. What matters is whether or not a developer thinks he can get a good spread out of it. And I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of developers are watching the Brickstone project on the 1100 block of Chestnut (which involved razing even older buildings than these, btw) and are looking at other underdeveloped stretches with similar characteristics. Of which this block and the Buffalo Exchange's shed are among the top, among many, many opportunities, IMO.

Also, when you brought up this, that, and the other thing -- not one of which had anything to do with my quick observation that that particular block of sites was a good candidate for consolidation (and believe you me, with the markup vacant lots have been getting recently, redevelopment of low-rises has to be looking increasingly feasible) -- you were the one showing obsession. And you were called out on it by me and mja.

You just keep digging yourself deeper...

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 12:16 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
And my point is that whether you personally agree or not is utterly irrelevant. What matters is whether or not a developer thinks he can get a good spread out of it. And I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of developers are watching the Brickstone project on the 1100 block of Chestnut (which involved razing even older buildings than these, btw) and are looking at other underdeveloped stretches with similar characteristics. Of which this block and the Buffalo Exchange's shed are among the top, among many, many opportunities, IMO.

Also, when you brought up this, that, and the other thing -- not one of which had anything to do with my quick observation that that particular block of sites was a good candidate for consolidation (and believe you me, with the markup vacant lots have been getting recently, redevelopment of low-rises has to be looking increasingly feasible) -- you were the one showing obsession. And you were called out on it by me and mja.

You just keep digging yourself deeper...
Yes sir! I surely have been schooled- I appreciate you taking the time to get me straight. Leveling buildings in the heart of commercial Chestnut street is not only likely, but imminent- in spite of the fact that many of the commercial tenants have recently signed leases. And this is definitely something more worthy of focus vs half vacant blocks to the east! Got it.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...reet__Too.html

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 2:18 PM

3750 Lancaster

More info from this Philly Mag article. 5 or 6 floors with ground floor retail and ~300 luxury apartments.

http://www.phillymag.com/property/20.../#gallery-2-21

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 4:16 PM

The New Manayunk Bridge Trail to Open This Month

Read more at http://www.phillymag.com/property/20...Gl1tLseRJgo.99

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 4:17 PM

Xfinity Live! debuts expanded venue

http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...00-social.html

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 5:28 PM

Quote:
Yes sir! I surely have been schooled- I appreciate you taking the time to get me straight. Leveling buildings in the heart of commercial Chestnut street is not only likely, but imminent- in spite of the fact that many of the commercial tenants have recently signed leases. And this is definitely something more worthy of focus vs half vacant blocks to the east! Got it.

...just stop

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 8:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
...just stop
I suggest you read the link I posted. My point was made by the Inquirer. Why are you on the internet if you don't accept people see things differently from yourself? And if you take a strong stance on something and try to shut down other POVs at least be right. At least thats the way I see things.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 9:00 PM
Me?!?

Curtain rises on Bucks riverfront project

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...t_project.html

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 9:25 PM

Quote:
I suggest you read the link I posted. My point was made by the Inquirer. Why are you on the internet if you don't accept people see things differently from yourself? And if you take a strong stance on something and try to shut down other POVs at least be right. At least thats the way I see things.
You have such a weird way to see things sometimes. I find my myself completely agreeing with you half the time and violently disagreeing with you the other half of the time.

Take this argument, for instance. I don't actually disagree with anything you've written regarding 1500 Chestnut. I do agree that people have a bizarre obsession with the block. I do agree that people who throw around terms like riffraff are frequently just unnecessarily uncomfortable with people from a different racial / socio-economic / cultural backgrounds. I actually don't have any particular feelings regarding whether or not lots are going to get consolidated on any stretch of Chestnut, one way or the other.

But then you strangely throw 1300 Chestnut under the bus to make your point, and end up coming off as out of touch with reality. By any measure, 1300 Chestnut is thriving commercial corridor and your refusal to acknowledge that isn't helping your case any.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 9:48 PM

Quote:
I have no issue with people that see things differently than myself. In fact my issue isn't really with the way see you things. In fact I'd actually agree that generally people shit on the 1500 block of Chestnut on this forum far too much and many of the comments that express what is wrong with it often attack the people who frequent the businesses on that block and they're often tinged with some pretty disgusting and fairly casual racist attitudes.

So honestly, we don't even see things all that differently. My issue with you is not your point of view but you're annoying argumentative nature, namely your need to respond to every post that is in disagreement with you and to totally dominant the discussion. You're constantly trying to beat people into submission with a barrage of posts arguing about countless topics and refusing to let anything go, to let anything die. It's strange how people who think of themselves as persecuted are so often aggressors.

Also, if you're going to be that argumentative person on the internet forum, that's honestly not always the worst thing in the world... if it provokes good discussion. If however you're pulling points out your ass, saying ridiculous things like there's a problem with the 12 and 13 hundred blocks of Chestnut, then it shuts down discussion because who wants to argue with someone who seems not to even know what they're talking about? And when you refuse to acknowledge when you're wrong about things like this and just keep on arguing your points, it presents the feeling of trying to debate a wall.

I like a lot of the stuff you post. Please just stop arguing so much. Or at least argue coherently.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 11:27 PM

Brickstone pays $5 million for ornate Hale building

Quote:
Brickstone Cos. has paid $5 million for the Hale Building at 1326 Chestnut St., according to Washington Square Realty Capital, which arranged financing for the acquisition.

Brickstone closed on the ornate seven-story building on Sept. 30 using a bridge loan from Firstrust bank, Washington Square senior director Anthony Franchi said in an email.

The developer has said it plans to renovate the 128-year-old building, designed by the same architect as the Divine Lorraine on North Broad Street, and revamp its upper floors into "creative" office space.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...cvQSZ4uGE2Y.99

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 11:57 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:

Hey, if you want a red username that much, I'll be more than happy to oblige.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
Brickstone pays $5 million for ornate Hale building
They didn't get the memo about 1300 Chestnut apparently.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development