HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 8:57 PM

Wow, this has taken off on a bit of a tangent. So, I guess I'll add to it.

When it comes to wealth and the wealthy, most of the people in Saskatoon considered to be wealthy didn't get that way as an employee of a company, regardless of how well that corporation may pay. The vast majority of wealthy Saskatonians are entrepreneurs who have built their own companies, be they a Professional (doctor, lawyer, architect, financial planners, etc.) or blue collar worker that has started their own firm (trucking companies, plumbing firms, ag tech).

While it's nice to attract businesses that will provide high-salaried positions, the vast bulk of wealthy people get there by working for themselves.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 12:47 AM

Does Saskatoon have any type of architectural design review? Just curious what type of approval process this or other projects go through.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
Wow, this has taken off on a bit of a tangent. So, I guess I'll add to it.

When it comes to wealth and the wealthy, most of the people in Saskatoon considered to be wealthy didn't get that way as an employee of a company, regardless of how well that corporation may pay. The vast majority of wealthy Saskatonians are entrepreneurs who have built their own companies, be they a Professional (doctor, lawyer, architect, financial planners, etc.) or blue collar worker that has started their own firm (trucking companies, plumbing firms, ag tech).

While it's nice to attract businesses that will provide high-salaried positions, the vast bulk of wealthy people get there by working for themselves.
This. Unless you are a CEO or maybe a professional athlete, no one gets wealthy earning a salary.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 9:18 PM

You can definitely become wealthy from earning a salary at the Top 5 Saskatoon commodity companies i mentioned above lol. The bonus structure at most commodity (oil, grain, uranium), is 0%-200% of your salary. Saskatoon people working at these top 5 are doing better than the equity bankers in Toronto.

You don’t have to be an athlete or a CEO of Potash. All of the “self made spinoffs are a result of the five main drivers to wealth in the city. Commodities are what run Saskatoon.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 10:00 PM

It is great to see the development of new highrise residential in downtown Saskatoon. When the next projects come along, please remember that it is now the 2020's. The 1980's look is so last century.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 8:33 PM
danylo66

Baydo Towers on track for $2.3M tax break

Baydo Development Corp. applied for the $2.3 million abatement under a city program aimed at encouraging infill, and qualified for 100 per cent of the possible payout.
Author of the article: Alex MacPherson • Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Publishing date: Aug 17, 2020

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...-5a88065f390f/

Old Posted Aug 17, 2020, 8:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danylo66 View Post
Baydo Towers on track for $2.3M tax break

Baydo Development Corp. applied for the $2.3 million abatement under a city program aimed at encouraging infill, and qualified for 100 per cent of the possible payout.
Author of the article: Alex MacPherson • Saskatoon StarPhoenix
Publishing date: Aug 17, 2020

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...-5a88065f390f/
"The project failed to score points in several categories, including ... one titled “contributes to public realm.”

Old Posted Aug 18, 2020, 3:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt_center View Post
"The project failed to score points in several categories, including ... one titled “contributes to public realm.”
I’ve been attacked walking to work on that street - more people thanks to the new retail there contributes to public realm. I’m so excited for more eyes and ears on that street to keep everyone more safe. 200 points for them and 200 points for the new starbucks down the block! 25th is finally going to be a fun street to walk down.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 1:57 AM

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...enue-residents

I feel really bad for the Park Avenue residents. The vibrations have been creating plumbing issues in our building a block away - my water at my desk vibrates when they’re vibrating down these metal slabs that seem to not be going in, but I’m still excited for neighbors. A settlement to account for damage would be nice though - they’ve destroyed 5th Ave - it’s literally sinking in lol

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 12:27 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2020, 8:03 PM

Sheet piling continues on the site. Hoping it’s done soon - as mentioned in this article it’s definitely giving all of the resident around here the shakes equivalent to a 3.5 magnitude quake occurring mon-friday. This article also states that the parkade is 4 levels of underground parking. Still happy for new residents, although Park Avenue’s tenants next to this project have definitely lost a lot of value on their condos . Feel for them guys - this is a monster project and not a nimby issue when they’re complaining - it’s legitimate earthquakes all day mom-fri that started 6 weeks ago . It truely is making an unfun summer here in the densest population block of Saskatoon. It will be over soon though and we’ll have a very dense area of Saskatoon to enjoy with new residents - and a new Subway!

Just as another note - the Starbucks / Prairie Donair on 25th and 2nd is nearing completion! I’m so excited for this extra animation on this street. It desperately needs it because drifters have been taking over 7/11 and Circle K on that block - driving by yesterday they were stopping traffic.The lighthouse is correct in this article - there are a lot of new people from out of town drifting around lately https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...-perfect-storm

Rico you can see the pylons in the bottom left where fifth ave is caving in. I think long term sheet piling stabilized the ground more? I’m hoping that’s the case as 5th Ave N and 4th Ave N could be voted worst roads in Saskatoon right now !

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...work-1.5697047

Lastly - as I write this right after taking this picture, someone is screaming blood curdling screams. If you run into your local councillor or mayor on the streets prior to this election, PLEASE press them on some residents that use social services in our downtown very much need more support. Donate more to United Way for the sake of our downtown!

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Sheet piling continues on the site. Hoping it’s done soon - as mentioned in this article it’s definitely giving all of the resident around here the shakes equivalent to a 3.5 magnitude quake occurring mon-friday.
I have to imagine this could have long term implications for the surrounding buildings/instructure, correct?

Old Posted Aug 25, 2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBoy View Post
I have to imagine this could have long term implications for the surrounding buildings/instructure, correct?
Initially we had extra plumbing breaks. I’m hoping it just broke plumbing breaks that may have already been close to breaking... I’m hoping it strengthens the block once they’re done? Our building shifts quite a bit. I have no idea how long concrete structures last but this sucker is from the 60’s!

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 8:07 PM

Looks like they got the sinking road fixed - for now. I bet it resumes sinking once they start hauling away dirt. I hope it wasn’t all the bad PR over the past week that finally got it fixed, but it probably was. Not being a nimby- the road was almost inaccessible for a few weeks lol. Come on Baydo be nicer to your neighbors - did you pay for the road caving in? We probably paid for it, and will pay for it when it caves again. We should reduce their tax break for expensive damage to the street.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 9:31 PM

How much longer until they'll start digging?

Old Posted Aug 28, 2020, 9:57 PM

I'm presuming that all the sections of the sheet piling are the same length. If that's the case, I'm amazed at the variance in the initial depth of embedment. I'm not very familiar with a driven sheet piling system. Do they come back and continue to drive some of those sections down until the proper depth is reached? Because some of these section won't be doing much good, judging by the length of them sticking out of the ground.

I take it that they are using a vibratory hammer, as opposed to simply a drop hammer to install these?

Old Posted Aug 29, 2020, 3:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I'm presuming that all the sections of the sheet piling are the same length. If that's the case, I'm amazed at the variance in the initial depth of embedment. I'm not very familiar with a driven sheet piling system. Do they come back and continue to drive some of those sections down until the proper depth is reached? Because some of these section won't be doing much good, judging by the length of them sticking out of the ground.

I take it that they are using a vibratory hammer, as opposed to simply a drop hammer to install these?
They vibratory hammer them down, then weld another piece on - I think 4 times for 4 floors of parking, but I could be wrong. That’s why they look so all over the place - they are in fact making pretty good progress along 25th. Compared to the other side of the lot which was where they seemed to have major issues / and along the YWCA/United Way.

They still haven’t started on the 5th Ave side. I’m guessing another 6-8 weeks of sheet piling until serious digging.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YXE View Post
How much longer until they'll start digging?
Digging has started! Sheet piling still has a long way to go but they don’t seem to be going in anymore so they’re not digging? Is that normal?

They’re working this weekend which is exciting

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 3:06 PM

Nothing new to post - just digging. Is the sheet piling sticking out like that normal? How do they correct that?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2020, 3:09 PM

edit

Last edited by Ricopedra; Jun 7, 2021 at 6:51 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan