HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 3:55 PM
Closed account

Skip Morelli if you don't want to wear out your welcome with him, but there's no reason you can't contact the Mayor and the rest of council.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpgq View Post
In a weird way, Ferguson of all people did, asking for money for the water feature and ice rink in front of city hall. This new money does seem to be a good way to pay for a better surface for the hall.
Oh yeah, sorry I missed Ferguson's comment. Still if I had to choose, I'd pick limestone over water/ice rink at City Hall.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 5:03 PM
Closed account

I never even thought about using the money towards City Hall. That's a fantastic idea! I mean, obviously lots needs to be spent on sewers and roads, but use a good chunk of this $48M on (what is starting to become) Lister Block Jr!

I'll be emailing ALL council (and Fred) suggesting they use a good portion of this money towards City Hall.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2008, 6:33 PM
Closed account

they don't even need to use a big chunk...just enough to do the limestone/marble and the ice rink/water thing out front.

I walked all around the site the other day and really see a TON of potential for a great urban park/square/gathering spot.
First of all, get rid of all the different levels....the entire surroundings of city hall have all these steps up and down. Just make it one level (at least most of it).
Second, use a nice interlocking brick, perhaps like the kind at Sam Lawrence Park on the Mountain, that are smooth and not too bumpy/rough like old style cobblestone.
Have all the brick on the forecourt, walkways and nice grassy areas with tons of trees/benches on the west side of city hall.
Put the parking underground so the west side park space can be continued right up to and along Hunter. Perhaps there can be an interactive play fountain in the area that currently has an entrance off of Bay St.
At the bottom of the slope leading up to Hunter St, make an ampitheatre type of design with a small stage below that can house summer concerts, theatre etc.....
Have a meandering walkway that runs around the entire site linking the various attractions with a beautiful 'garden walk' on either side of the path.

The site is beautiful and could really become a great gathering spot in the heart of the city...of course, Main St needs to be addressed, but we all know that.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2008, 2:48 AM

I totally agree. That whole property has a lot of potential. I think the front area all the way up to Whitehern should be redone. The ice rink would make it a year round destination to boot. I guess it depends whether they are serious about downtown rejuvenation or not.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 10:52 PM
It's Hammer Time

Repair backlog threatens city rec centres

September 03, 2008
By Nicole MacIntyre
The Hamilton Spectator

A consultant says the city needs to dramatically invest in its recreation centre if it doesn’t want more than half of the facilities to close by 2018.

A report heading to councillors this afternoon says 44 of the city’s 78 recreation facilities, including pools, arenas and community centres, will need to close in five to 10 years because of disrepair.

It recommends the city increase its annual funding for capital repairs from $5 million a year to $26.5 million by 2010. There is a current repair backlog of $20 million for recreation facilities.

The report, which assessed the state of the city’s facilities, recommended several centres be closed because of their conditions. Brewster Pool in lower Stoney Creek, Spring Valley Arena in Ancaster and the Greensville Community Hall are among the facilities suggested for closure.

At the same time, the report recommends the city build new recreation centres in underserviced areas.

The consultant believes Hamilton needs new facilities in lower Stoney Creek, Glanbrook, Hamilton Mountain and a replacement for the Norman Pinky Lewis Recreation Centre. It also recommends new seniors’ centres in lower Hamilton and Waterdown to support the city’s aging population.

The report comes just a week after the province announced it is giving Hamilton $48 million to help tackle a backlog in infrastructure repairs. The city can use the money for any capital project.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2008, 11:31 PM
Closed account

IMO, we need a hell of a lot more then 48M to get this city up to snuff. But try and get that kind of money out of the government.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 1:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
IMO, we need a hell of a lot more then 48M to get this city up to snuff. But try and get that kind of money out of the government.
Yeah, like actually enforcing bylaws. 40+ days since my last complaint with 1/2 dozen follow-ups with the city and my councillor, and still no action. I wish those that take my tax dollars cared 1/10 as much as I did about property standards, then perhaps the city could seriously look towards an upswing.

At 60 days, I'm going to the mayor's office.......

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 2:20 PM

Glad to see some road work is being done... Ottawa St near Barton-Burlington was doing really shitty, Kenilworth access now looks great, can't wait for King/Main/John and others that are scheduled.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 2:29 PM
It's Hammer Time

They are doing Aberdeen right now. Looks like they'll do the sidewalk as well, even better! The current sidewalk is rough and with loads of cracks.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 3:33 PM
Closed account

also glad to see Mayor Fred pulling through on his election promise to add bike lanes whenever a road is resurfaced.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 7:30 PM
Hammer'd

Tons of new bike lanes have gone in since he was elected, lets not be too critical.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 7:38 PM
Closed account

Tons??? please show me where.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 7:41 PM
Hammer'd

Ferguson? York I believe? I think theres also a bunch of new ones downtown. I'm certainly noticing a lot more than I did before, which leads me to think they're new. Ferguson extension alone was a brilliant project (although it may have been spearheaded under DiIanni's reign).
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 9:40 PM

Downtown's major arteries, Main and King and James and John are completely devoid of any bike lanes. The majority of cyclists ride on the sidewalks because they fear for their lives on the road.

I say put in a shared bus/bike lane all along Main and King. Spraypaint some diamonds every few meters and throw up a few signs.
They just put up a truckload of signs about no parking in my area, so don't say they can't afford it.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 10:17 PM
Closed account

Ferguson was planned by the INT Village BIA about 20 years ago. Yes, it's great, but has nothing to do with Fred's promise to add bike lanes 'whenever a street is resurfaced'.
York is new, and other than that, I don't know of one downtown.
Streets with ample width to accommodate bike lanes have been resurfaced in the past year - Upper Wentworth, Wellington, Mohawk, Garth to name a few.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 10:19 PM
It's Hammer Time

Don't need bike lanes for Garth when the next street, West 5th, have bike lanes. It would be great to continue the bike lane from Mohawk to Fennell on West 5th.

I think Fennell would be better for bike lanes than Mohawk.

What I think is severely missing in Hamilton is sidewalks on Mountain access roads. I can't think of any that has sidewalks.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2008, 10:39 PM

One thing that really gets my blood boiling is a cyclist riding on the sidewalk. The hypocrisy of a cyclist saying he uses the sidewalk because he feels unsafe on the road is not lost on me. Obviously he has no concern for the danger he places the pedestrian in, who has nowhere but the sidewalk to travel on.

Sorry if I seem harsh but I have been clipped by cyclists on the sidewalk a couple times already this year. On Stinson of all places. If you don't feel safe cycling on Stinson then you simply should not be riding a bike at all.

Okay, I'm done venting for now.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Downtown's major arteries, Main and King and James and John are completely devoid of any bike lanes. The majority of cyclists ride on the sidewalks because they fear for their lives on the road.
No, I think it's because it's OK to ride the wrong way on a one way street if you are riding on the sidewalk.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
I say put in a shared bus/bike lane all along Main and King. Spraypaint some diamonds every few meters and throw up a few signs.
They just put up a truckload of signs about no parking in my area, so don't say they can't afford it.
I know where you can get the confiscated spray paint for the lanes .

One of my biggest pet peeve is cyclists using the sidewalk, I've come close to being clipped a few times (yesterday being the most recent). They give the rest of us a doubly hard time in getting respect from drivers and the community.

When I ride (on the road), I make sure I purposefully sneer and shake my head disapprovingly at those I see on the sidewalk (especially so if they are wearing a helmet).

Old Posted Sep 5, 2008, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post
Don't need bike lanes for Garth when the next street, West 5th, have bike lanes. It would be great to continue the bike lane from Mohawk to Fennell on West 5th.

I think Fennell would be better for bike lanes than Mohawk.

What I think is severely missing in Hamilton is sidewalks on Mountain access roads. I can't think of any that has sidewalks.
Jolley Cut to about halfway up. Then good luck. But it's scheduled for a re-do this year, maybe they'll add in some sidewalks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy