HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 2:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
Amen to that. I don't drink but these state run liquor stores are embarrassing. I don't see the point of them.
As a libertarian-minded young adult growing up in Utah I was always pro-privatization, but in my old age of 37 and after living in California, Washington and now Arizona I've gone the other way. I like the Utah system of state run liquor-only stores.

Don't get me wrong -- Utah has some incredibly dumb liquor laws and policy (e.g. wine and harder beers not in grocery stores, the bar/restaurant licenses, the tap rule, no happy hour, lack of wholesaler pricing, insane lack of licenses, not running the stores like a business, lack of stores, etc.).

That being said, in my experience, private liquor stores (or convenience stores selling hard liquor) can make certain areas worse, actually end up costing more for the consumer when considering increased taxes to make up for some revenue losses, and rob the state coffers with a great source of revenue.

On the other hand, privatization does increase the availability and selection of certain liquors and number of stores which is all that matters for many. It can also lower the price of certain product at large big box stores who can afford scale.

Anyway, Washington privatized a few years ago right before I moved there and some people like it better now, some don't. My point is that it isn't open and shut. Reasonable arguments for both. I think the state-run system could work WELL in Utah if ran correctly by increasing the number of stores BY A LOT, removing all beers and wine (unless it's a wine only store) and increasing the liquor selection. Of course the likelihood that happens could be another reason to privatize. So

Regardless, it is extremely constitutional for the state to have carte blanche over liquor per the 21st amendment and it makes me laugh when some people argue the state shouldn't have ANY control. It's also funny to me how in most other states but Utah it's usually the Republicans that want privatization and the Democrats wanting to stay a "Control" state. I guess I also fall into the weird Utah dichotomy as a moderate republican, too.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 3:28 AM
Exit 298

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
As a libertarian-minded young adult growing up in Utah I was always pro-privatization, but in my old age of 37 and after living in California, Washington and now Arizona I've gone the other way. I like the Utah system of state run liquor-only stores.
Growing up in Utah, but in my slightly-less old age of 35... After moving to California, I prefer seeing liquor in the grocery store. I'd rather the state focus on DUI enforcement than hassling retailers.

Guess the grass is greener on the other side, perhaps?

(I don't drink. Health/genetic reasons. So I really don't have a dog in the fight either way).

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 9:21 AM

I'm not sure how a private liquor store vs a state-run liquor store makes a difference when it comes to making an area run-down. It's not like the area near the downtown liquor store is a flourishing paradise.

I guess my biggest concern is getting beer and wine out of liquor stores. If they want to control just liquor, that's fine. I just want to buy beer and wine in the grocery stores and have specialty beer stores that properly display and store their products.

I still think having all liquor in grocery stores and having privately-run liquor stores is the way to go - even if you have to regulate the liquor stores more than average, I think that still gives the consumers the best options and will allow for greater variety of product.

But alas, this is Utah. Maybe we'll see some of these changes in 20 years.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Future_Mayor View Post
Hmm, Skyscraper forum, what's this thing all about?
Is that really you? Blink twice if you need help...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 6:38 PM

^
Lol, those were my thoughts as well. But if it is you, Future Mayor, It's good to have you back.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 6:57 AM

9th East Mixed-Use Development

A new mixed-use multifamily development has filed for a design review to replace the Officemax at the intersection of 400 South and 900 East.
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=

Project Description:
Quote:
The proposed mixed-use development project is located at the corner of 400 South and 900 East in Salt Lake City, Utah. The site is directly south of the 900 East UTA TRAX stop and is also adjacent to bus stops located on 400 South and 900 East. The existing property is currently in use as a 1-story retail building with a surface parking lot.

The redevelopment of the property will create a 6-story, 264 unit multi-family residential and mixed-use retail development. There will be ground floor retail, underground structured parking, along with second level patio deck amenities exclusively for the residential tenants. The site is 1.943 acres (84,631sf) with 264 proposed dwelling units. There are no dwelling units on the ground floor. The proposed building covers the majority of the site. This is a Permitted Use in the TSA-UN-C Zone.

The project will be a new-build, 5-level multi-family, market-rate apartment building of Type III wood construction over 2.5 levels of Type I concrete construction containing underground and ground level parking, retail spaces, and leasing offices. The proposed building is a total of 6 levels above grade with a maximum building height of 83’-6” as measured from the average grade plane to the highest point of the building. The proposed mixed-use development is eligible for an additional story of building height under 21A.26.E2b.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 1:42 PM
Space Magi

Looks pretty good! It seems much better than some of the other new 4th South apartment complexes in terms of street engagement, and the brick facade is nice.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 3:35 PM

I agree. Finally, ground floor retail! Also, I think it holds the urban edge well, and another parking lot bites the dust! Another good infill project. The only issue I would have is the long elevation from the back side. But, mostly, let's get this built! With the Exchange and this one to anchor the main stretch of 4th south, and all of those other 6 story podium buildings, 4th south is going to really look urban. Now, we just need to convert those strip malls into more projects like this.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 3:44 PM

Definitely a step forward for 4th South.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 5:31 PM

Agree, Big improvement over that current ugly, underserved site.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
^
Lol, those were my thoughts as well. But if it is you, Future Mayor, It's good to have you back.
It is me the real Future Mayor. I couldn't remember my password and the moderators couldn't find me either so here I am, reincarnated.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 8:15 PM

I agree on the 4th and 9th project, it creates another great piece on 4th S. I do wish they would go one or two stories taller with the podium and push it up to 8 or 9 stories, like The Exchange. I also agree with the design and comments about The Exchange, I really like these two plus the one next to Hires, forgot the name.

While I don't love the little Starbucks drive-thru next to it, I like the size of the overall design of the development on the NE corner of 4th and 4th, the fact that it doesn't take up over half the block face is what I like about the size.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2020, 10:01 PM
Engineer

Welcome back FM!

I'm loving that development replacing Office Max. Can't come soon enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
I've been wondering how much progress they've been actually making on Sugarmont also Scott. With all of that wrapping it seems to have not progressed at all. We just have had to assume if anything that interior work was continuing. I ran across this update, which explains what is going on. Also, looks like they'll be starting up with Sugar Alley in the next couple of weeks
The scaffolding has been up forever and there was no progress for a long time but I've been noticing significant progress underneath recently and they are actually starting to take it down on the southern portion of the building over the last couple days. Some units are supposed to be livable come winter, it will be nice to finally have it all finished.

Also looking forward to Sugar Alley.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 12:28 AM

Future Mayor, where did you disappear to? It's been years!

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 7:41 AM
Let It Rise!

Has anyone heard anything about Bricks/Sound property, what ever it's name is now, being purchased to build a new residential development?

My Mini City-Population http://saint-anthony.myminicity.com

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctobsl View Post
Has anyone heard anything about Bricks/Sound property, what ever it's name is now, being purchased to build a new residential development?
They filed for a building permit in March. It's called Central West. Accela

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPolitico View Post
They filed for a building permit in March. It's called Central West. Accela
Additional information about this was posted today

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 6:35 PM

Old Posted Aug 21, 2020, 6:36 PM

That 9th East mixed use is much better then other previous projects but I’m not excited about how wide it is. It would have been nice to have a little variance in height by adding a few levels in a few key spots. All in all it will be nice at street level and attractive.

Future Mayor, before you disappeared I think you mentioned you were part of a project? Did anything come to fruition?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 4:07 AM

It looks like more mixed-use is going to be coming to State Street, this time further south. The owner of the property on the southeast corner of 1300 South and State Street (current site of Coachman's and a strip mall) wants to change the zoning to FB-UN2 (same zoning as Central 9th) so that they can tear them down and make a mixed-use development. The advantage to the zoning change would be that they could have increased height and no parking minimum (though along State Street, I would expect some parking). Plus, of course, additional design standards oriented towards street and pedestrian engagement.

That stretch of State Street needs some serious help, and I hope that their proposal goes through. They need the zoning change first though.

http://www.slcdocs.com/Planning/Plan...f%20Report.pdf

It's nice to see State Street slowly get some love.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West