HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 28, 2019, 7:53 PM

I like the idea of a park there, but certainly not a park owned by the Church. Do we really want the Church to have control over the events that would occur in a downtown park?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 5:54 AM

^
I actually like the idea of privately owned open spaces because it is easier for a private company/organization to keep transients from camping there.
Every time someone suggests a new public park downtown I cringe. I worry it will just become another Pioneer park or Library square.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 6:14 AM

Can someone post pictures of the fencing around the Tower 8 site?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
^
I actually like the idea of privately owned open spaces because it is easier for a private company/organization to keep transients from camping there.
Every time someone suggests a new public park downtown I cringe. I worry it will just become another Pioneer park or Library square.
Agreed. Brigham Young Historic Park (and Temple Square for that matter) is private and is kept nice because the Mormon church can police it, and they do.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC14 View Post
^
I would be tempted to agree with you because I find it SO frustrating that the city is so feckless in dealing with the homeless camps, but private parks, especially those owned by the LDS Church, is not the way to go. If that was the only tenable path to getting such a project done, then I would rather a non profit entity be created where the LDS Church and other orgs could contribute to for its construction and maintenance. This group would need to have a fairly liberal set of acceptable behavior guidelines, but of course could more tightly regulate the city encampments.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 4:30 PM

If we're going to be realistic then those two massive blocks between Temple Square and the LDS Business College/BYU Salt Lake will remain owned by the LDS Church. Future development will most likely include LDS business/educational/residential, and subterranean parking structures, along with a significant amount of flowers, water features and beautiful greenery, as is usually the case with LDS commercial developments. The chance that anything else other than what is owned and or controlled by the LDS Church going in there is highly unlikely.

I do very much agree that we need another major block or two in the Downtown area developed as a beautiful park. I also think it would be better if it were owned and maintained by a non profit entity, but established flexible guidelines for public use. Guidelines should allow the public flexible access without the loss of being able to control the park from being overrun by transient issues.

Last edited by delts145; Mar 29, 2019 at 4:54 PM.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
Can someone post pictures of the fencing around the Tower 8 site?
It's a picture of a screen since I'm too lazy to go up to the roof right now, but that's what I can see from here.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 5:27 PM

Site work on the 300 East and 400 South micro units 'the Exchange'. The bank and coffee shop are gone

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 9:47 PM
They all float down here

I reached out to Property Reserve Inc regarding Tower 8 via phone and was told they'd e-mail me back but was rebuffed and told, in that e-mail, that they won't be making any comments about the fencing at this time. So...

Old Posted Mar 29, 2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
I reached out to Property Reserve Inc regarding Tower 8 via phone and was told they'd e-mail me back but was rebuffed and told, in that e-mail, that they won't be making any comments about the fencing at this time. So...
Not surprising, fencing is a very sensitive matter, like religion and politics.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msbutah View Post
It's a picture of a screen since I'm too lazy to go up to the roof right now, but that's what I can see from here.
Wow. Did you guys get a late season snow storm today?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Yes, and the broken tree carnage was intense. I saw multiple trees crushing cars just on my short commute.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
Yes, and the broken tree carnage was intense. I saw multiple trees crushing cars just on my short commute.
A branch missed my neighbors car by mere inches. I had 2 branches break, 1 on a park strip tree and another in my back yard.

I am in Rose Park and 2 blocks north of me they are without power due to the branches breaking some lines. They won't have power until tomorrow afternoon.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 4:17 AM

A lot of activity at the Tower 8 site today. 1st South was being barricaded off this morning at the tower site. Also saw a Excavation company truck at the site this morning.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 7:19 AM

I didn't get a picture of the front with the barricade, but here's a picture of the fencing from the Social Hall Avenue entrance to Harmons. If you're heading to Harmons from this side, you have to now walk through the museum building. I'll try to get at least a handful of better pictures next time I'm up there. I work very close to here, so I should be able to give a steady supply of construction pictures!

Old Posted Mar 30, 2019, 3:45 PM

I have been following this thread since high school. And in that time I have seen us have nothing to talk about , to bursts of projects which get us all hyped up. I have also taken advantage of the fact that I have gotten to know info about projects in the city I love, before some of you which made it interesting to see the discussion. But...all good things come to an end. My partner just got a sweet promotion and we just purchased a home in Orlando. And honestly I’m going to miss being here to know what you guys are and aren’t covering. I know I tried to post pics (sideways cuz it’s stupid) and I know some of you do as well. Please continue to post pics so those of us that can’t just drive to a project can see the progress cuz I will still be following the thread. I have family and my rental property here so I have to come backand friends in the know...so if I get any good info I’d be happy to share it.

And yes. The post office signed a twelve year lease.
Kearns building can’t figure out what they want to do behind the building.
Discussions (just conversations) continue about the dt planet fitness surface parking.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPdesign View Post
I have been following this thread since high school. And in that time I have seen us have nothing to talk about , to bursts of projects which get us all hyped up. I have also taken advantage of the fact that I have gotten to know info about projects in the city I love, before some of you which made it interesting to see the discussion. But...all good things come to an end. My partner just got a sweet promotion and we just purchased a home in Orlando. And honestly I’m going to miss being here to know what you guys are and aren’t covering. I know I tried to post pics (sideways cuz it’s stupid) and I know some of you do as well. Please continue to post pics so those of us that can’t just drive to a project can see the progress cuz I will still be following the thread. I have family and my rental property here so I have to come backand friends in the know...so if I get any good info I’d be happy to share it.

Discussions (just conversations) continue about the dt planet fitness surface parking.
Hopefully you can come back every so often and there will be large changes. I am happy that you will keep up with the thread but know that your insight will be missed.

Good luck in Orlando.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 4:39 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:

From one exploding tertiary market to another. Good luck in Orlando. I've always enjoyed your contributions. Best of luck!

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 5:09 PM
The Drifter

Quote:

Hope Orlando works out for you and you will be missed here.

By the way, if I lived in Orlando, I would be at the Space Coast every time a rocket was launched. Hmmm, wonder if I could convince the wife we need to move again.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2019, 9:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Late season? Snow in March isn’t late season. Snow in March always happens. When it snows in June, that’s late season.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West