HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 8:15 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Here are the first renderings of LocalConstruct's "The Roost" on 5th and Broad.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 1:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Here are the first renderings of LocalConstruct's "The Roost" on 5th and Broad.

While I'm Pleased about the height, the developers lack in creativity. Once again everything is flat and uninteresting. I was expecting something unique from LocalConstruct but once again the exterior is lacking in Aesthetics.

Edit: This will be a great project for the Central Addition. A HUGE improvement to what they proposed for 14th & Idaho. I'm surprised that I didn't notice the wave on the west wall before. Cottonwood, thanks for pointing that out! I hope the wave will be more prominent in the actual build then what is shown in the rendering.

Last edited by Hawk; Mar 31, 2015 at 4:05 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 2:18 PM

Finally a rendring of what is going to replace these homes. I like the wavy appearance on the side.
Here is more info from the BW:

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/hom...nt?oid=3436744
Homes Away From Home
Central Addition landmarks will be moved/salvaged/deconstructed

Quote:
The clock is ticking. The homes need to be moved, deconstructed or salvaged by late May so LocalConstruct can break ground on its new complex. Before any of that happens, Everhart wants to throw a going away party.

And some soon to be historic photos from the final pages of the old thread courtesy of Sawtooth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post

Last edited by Cottonwood; Mar 31, 2015 at 2:33 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Finally a rendring of what is going to replace these homes. I like the wavy appearance on the side.
How did I miss that?! That is a cool feature! Okay I'm liking it now.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 5:58 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
How did I miss that?! That is a cool feature! Okay I'm liking it now.

i shared your original reaction, even though i noticed the wave.

i do think it has good and not-so-good aspects.

WHAT I LIKE

- i really like the density for the area. 5-10 floors along that corridor is a good size for that area.
- LOVE the brick. Boise doesn't really have an old warehouse "brick district", but this area could be a great place to build a modern version of one.
- like the wavy facade and the breaks along the north elevation
- street level looks nice. i'm guessing there's room for retail on the ground floor.

WHAT'S MISSING FOR ME

- even with the wave, that wall is just too... bland. square windows on brick, with no additional details. even adding something as relatively simple as awnings to the windows or planters, or more detail in the brickwork, would really make a difference.
- or, perhaps adding balconies to that side would break things up a bit. i like the 10th and grove facade, for example, and how the balconies and fake balconies add interest. and many of the recent condos/apartments being built in boise don't feature balconies, for some reason.

again, JMHO. i doubt localconstruct takes the time to read the board or would take our input, but who knows.

i also noticed a couple of other things in the second rendering that BA posted (the white aerial). looks like there are two other proposals in that same vicinity. i'm assuming one is the "nest" that localconstruct is proposing, or it may be the 6-floor building that was supposed to house cradlepoint. i'm not sure.

Last edited by Boisebro; Mar 31, 2015 at 7:24 PM.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 7:20 PM

I pretty much completely agree with Boisebro. Some things as mentioned are nice, but the lack of detail lends it to looking like a housing project in St. Louis or something. But I love brick, really like how the BSU dorms turned out, so maybe this won't be so bad.

While talking about brick, I really hope the brick on US Bank is never touched, since this topic seems to come up often. San Francisco almost has a twin of US Bank that is white, but I walked up to it last weekend and it's just concrete. Eventually US Bank in Boise will be lost amongst a mix of other glass towers, and when that day comes I hope it has retained its original character.

Pic of US Bank is San Francisco: http://www.sanfranciscodays.com/phot...ge/us-bank.jpg

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 7:25 PM

I agree with Boisebro on this one. Overall, I'm not a big fan of this design and think it's pretty bland. It's the same boring brown/grey/white colors that are all over downtown, and on first impression, it looks to me like a generic, boring 1960's government building. The wave is nice, but it needs more to break up that long wall. Personally, i wish someone would design a building with nicer materials similar to the Wells Fargo Center. I know it's probably not feasible and will never happen, but I always wish someone would come in and add another 10-15 floors onto the WFC.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 7:47 PM
All man. Half nuts.

perhaps a place called "city of trees" could use something like this:

story and more photos here.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 8:59 PM

There is no reason that any new apartment building built downtown or near BSU shouldn't have both small balconies or decks and a rooftop common area. Both of these are very prevalent in Portland and Seattle.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthomps4 View Post
Personally, i wish someone would design a building with nicer materials similar to the Wells Fargo Center. I know it's probably not feasible and will never happen, but I always wish someone would come in and add another 10-15 floors onto the WFC.
Yeah, I love that building as well. It's sad that one day it will get lost among the skyline because it really is a gorgeous building.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2015, 11:37 PM
Dare Mighty Things

Compared to Holst Architecture's interesting portfolio of buildings, I can't say the Roost met my expectations. But the more I look at it, the more I like it.

There's nothing about the bones of the building I'd change; the massing is really great, and the building's shape is unique and interesting. The North and South face look sharp. Handsome variety in form, color and material. All that brick may not be so bad depending on how their 2nd project across the street ("The Nest") will look.

I'd like to see the cementitious board incorporated to the E/W faces. Not a lot, because I see what they're going for and I think it's partly successful, but just enough to break up the brick wall a touch. While generally I like balconies, I don't think they'd fit with the building's character, which seems based on clean lines and sculpture-like form.

I also noticed in the 2nd drawing, they're showing a new development project on the NW corner of that 4th and Broad intersection which--unless that's a part of the Nest--is a new one we haven't heard about yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo5Boise View Post
Yeah, I love that building as well. It's sad that one day it will get lost among the skyline because it really is a gorgeous building.
Agreed. It's unfortunate because that's the building's main aesthetic strength--how it looks from a distance. At street level the lack of retail or doors, plus the mirror-like windows makes it feel a little imposing, but that was the style of the day.

I was lucky to meet the architect, Ernest Lombard, a couple years ago. Very nice fellow. IIRC, originally it was going to be two buildings perpendicular to each other. Also, the "peak" at the corner was to be much larger. He also designed the never-built Columbia Center.

Last edited by BoiseAirport; Mar 31, 2015 at 11:55 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:05 AM
Closed account

5th and Broad

These two renderings, I think are a better design.
They break up the square box look of LocalConstruct that they keeping designing for Boise. The addition of balconies and different materials improve these two designs.

Renderings by Mary Charlebois graphic design

https://www.behance.net/gallery/20448797/5th-and-Broad

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Apr 1, 2015 at 3:44 AM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:32 AM

I think the rendering with the "wave" is better than the ones Architecture Buff just posted. At first I was not sure.. but I have come to the conclusion in my own head that the "wave" rendering is more urban and progressive in terms of architecture. Especially in Boise. The latter two I don't like. Reason being I think they have a suburban vibe with the arches at the base, etc.. Arches and crown are outdated in cities like Portland and Seattle. They don't even look like apartments, looks more like an office complex, not very livable.. resembles the Scentsy Headquarters. I feel like they would look better in Meridian next to The Village instead of downtown Boise... I hope Boise pursues more urban architecture in the downtown core..

I prefer the rendering with the wave..

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:51 AM
Dare Mighty Things

Interesting find, Architecture_Buff. Do you know any more information on that rendering?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakor21 View Post
I think the rendering with the "wave" is better than the ones Architecture Buff just posted. At first I was not sure.. but I have come to the conclusion in my own head that the "wave" rendering is more urban and progressive in terms of architecture. Especially in Boise. The latter two I don't like. Reason being I think they have a suburban vibe with the arches at the base, etc.. Arches and crown are outdated in cities like Portland and Seattle. They don't even look like apartments, looks more like an office complex, not very livable.. resembles the Scentsy Headquarters. I feel like they would look better in Meridian next to The Village instead of downtown Boise... I hope Boise pursues more urban architecture in the downtown core..

It does feel very suburban. It's the first two levels that's doing it. Put a more contemporary base on it, ditch the suburban-style landscaping, and you have yourself an attractive building for downtown.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 4:05 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

The design is gaining my favor. No offense but the other examples scream comparisons to the apartments next to the courthouse. For good or bad is extremely subjective.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakor21 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
Interesting find, Architecture_Buff. Do you know any more information on that rendering?

It does feel very suburban. It's the first two levels that's doing it. Put a more contemporary base on it, ditch the suburban-style landscaping, and you have yourself an attractive building for downtown.

As soon as I saw Architecture Buff's rendering it reminded me of the white Stevens-Henager Building on overland next to the interstate. AB's example does have that unfortunate suburban feel to it. But as you said BA " ditch the suburban-style landscaping, and you have yourself an attractive building for downtown."

It could possibly fit well in the place where the old hotel that houses Mulligan's Bar is downtown, since right across the street is the Gem building.

As much as the roost needs some minor aesthetic additions to it. I think it's finally growing on all of us, and if that's how it'll end up when it's being built that's okay. I do wish though that some local developer such as Tom Ahlquist, or even Mayor Dave Bieter would take the time to see our conversations and contribute to them, and/or sit down with us during a forum meet. I'm pretty sure that we all have tons of ideas to incorporate into one medium to large project downtown.

Last edited by Hawk; Apr 1, 2015 at 6:52 AM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 2:39 PM
All man. Half nuts.

photo by Samuel Morse, from JUMP's FB page:

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:13 PM
Dare Mighty Things

BREAKING DEVELOPMENT NEWS.

The Changing Face of Hyde Park

An iconic Boise neighborhood morphs into a shopping complex

By Dr. Robert T. Axidea, PhD

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/the...nt?oid=3441773

Boise's answer to The Village? Looks like developers are poised to acquire six blocks of Hyde Park to turn it into a modern, upscale retail complex.

Two six-story parking garages will provide plenty of free parking. Should be a win-win for everyone.

Dr. Axidea's a great reporter, the Weekly's lucky to have him.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:46 PM
Certified Idahoan

wait, will it have an exclusive dance club?

that would make all of the demolition worth it.

Last edited by Welcome2Boise; Apr 1, 2015 at 4:23 PM. Reason: fun

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 3:47 PM
All man. Half nuts.

edited for fun

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West