HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Jun 12, 2009, 5:21 PM

Great thread! I miss those buildings, especially the mall/lobby.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 1:13 PM
JACKinBeantown

A good opportunity to throw this in...

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 8:16 PM
Community Guy

i am surprised no one had any of these in there

http://www.cobweb.net/~dhuggins/wtc_-3-11-02.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1077/1140942874_a227c768aa_o.jpg

there was a lot of press on them here in Edmonton because it was a local company who did the lights.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 19, 2009, 10:05 PM

Old Posted Sep 10, 2009, 12:44 PM

Wow, I can't believe another 9/11 anniversary is coming again tomorow. I still remember the day it happened, and I was in 5th grade. It was one of the scariest days of my life. Whenever I see video of that day, I can't help but to cry. So many innocent American lives lost. I for one will never forget, nor will I let anyone forget 9/11. God bless America.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2009, 6:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Some late construction shots of the WTC and surrounding areas from The U.S. National Archives

Wil Blanche's DOCUMERICA assignment took him to New York City and Westchester County where he took pictures of landfills, water pollution and the rapidly changing Lower Manhattan skyline. Among his photographs are images of the newly completed Twin Towers of the World Trade Center.

Original Caption: Overlooking the Hudson River in Lower Manhattan, the Towers of the World Trade Center Soar Skyward to a Height of 1,350 Feet 05/1973

Original Caption: Historic Trinity Church on Lower Broadway at the Foot of Wall Street. Behind Loom the Towers of One of Manhattan's Newest Giants, the World Trade Center 05/1973

Original Caption: Manhattan's Huge World Trade Center Still Under Construction, Seen From Lower Broadway 05/1973

Original Caption: Outflow of Drainage from the World Trade Center, New York's Latest Giant, Under Construction between Vesey and Liberty Streets in Lower Manhattan. There Is No Provision for Waste Treatment as Is the Case with All Westside Buildings, Sewage Will Go Directly Into the Already Badly Polluted Hudson River

(same as above)

Original Caption: Towers of the World Trade Center in Lower Manhattan Seen From West Street 05/1973

Original Caption: The Newly Constructed Towers of the World Trade Center Seen From the South Side on West Street 05/1973

Original Caption: Construction Begins on the Battery Park Development Across From the World Trade Buildings on the Hudson River 05/1973

Original Caption: Construction on Lower Manhattan's West Side, Just North of the World Trade Center (Tall Building in Background) 05/1973

Original Caption: New Apartments Under Construction in Lower Manhattan's West Side 05/1973

Original Caption: World Trade Center (Left) and Lower Hudson River Shipping Seen From the Staten Island Ferry 05/1973

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2009, 7:15 AM
New Yorker for life

More oldies from nycfoto.com.

___

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2009, 8:05 AM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Nov 11, 2009, 10:31 PM
I'm Back!

Fascinating and sad thread but these are all timeless photos. The two towers to me were never really visually stunning to me. That is until I started to study them and learn more about them. When I became educated about the two buildings then I developed a pure & deep respect for them. It's from that respect that I soon developed a love for these two twins. They became something that I couldn't see without being in awe of them. They were fascinating buildings and it is a shame to see the worlds most famous skyline without them. Wonderful thread though everyone. Unfortunatly, I have nothing picture-wise to add. These towers left this world way too early, before I had a chance to see them, go inside them, or even just stand in their shadow once. God Bless all those affected by that tragic day.

Old Posted Nov 15, 2009, 7:27 PM

i hate to say it, i mean really REALLY hate to say it. but i think im going to like what where getting now much better then what was once there.
the only thing im really going to miss is the pedestrian plaza at the base.

Old Posted Nov 16, 2009, 7:56 PM
Charismatic Stallion

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
i hate to say it, i mean really REALLY hate to say it. but i think im going to like what where getting now much better then what was once there.
the only thing im really going to miss is the pedestrian plaza at the base.
I totally agree. The Twin Towers were not good architecture, and the only people who really miss them are usually hyper-patriots or people who have never visited a city and have no idea what this horrible skyscraper architecture did to the city skyline and the streets below (see the Twin Towers Alliance facebook group)

Yamasaki himself said that he and his team focused mainly on the plaza and underground concourse (they were very talented and it shows in the groudn level space they designed), the office space was essentially an afterthought used only to meet the 10 million square feet of office space requirement set by the PA.

However, the amount of lost life there was tragic. I still find it hard to believe that something like that could happen. Regardless, we need to move past feelings like that and understand that the WTC was not nearly as amazing as people like to imagine it is, and that we are getting something much better now.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 3:27 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Mar 15, 2010, 9:37 PM
The Time To Build Is Now

Not the best architecture, but most importantly, they were symbols of NY and of might. They defined the skyline for a generation, that is what will be missed the most.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2010, 5:14 PM
Ω

I wouldn't say Yamasaki neglected the architecture of the towers... In fact I would say he spent a lot more time on the towers than the windswept plaza.

The plaza was the worst part of the complex, not the towers. It was completely wrong in its urban context.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2010, 10:58 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerton View Post
The plaza was the worst part of the complex, not the towers. It was completely wrong in its urban context.
Yeah, it will be interesting to see how the new, much smaller plazas play out, But already, I think they're an improvement.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2010, 6:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
One of my favorite photos. Of any subject.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2010, 4:41 PM
New Yorker for life

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC4Life View Post
Very powerful photographs. However; rebuilding the twins as they were would be the worst option for the site.
No i think it would be the best option for the site.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 10:10 AM

Btw anyone have any good photos of the old 7 world trade center

Old Posted Apr 25, 2011, 8:30 PM
Wannabe Urbanite

^ I found a picture of the old 7 World Trade Centre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wt...ation_deck.jpg
I think what's there now is much nicer!

The twin towers were amazing structures, and it's a shame I'll never get to see them in person. There's just something about those 2 giant monoliths that has always put me in awe of them, and the pictures on this thread are only feeding that fascination!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture