HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 12:35 PM

When doing some research on dates around the first phase I stumbled on this...

CBRE Teams With Brandywine Realty Trust for Retail Portion of $3.5B Schuylkill Yards Development

Quote:
CBRE has been retained by Brandywine Realty Trust to provide retail advisory and transaction services for its Schuylkill Yards project in Philadelphia. The 14-acre, 6.9 million square foot innovation community is being developed in University City, adjacent to Amtrak's 30th Street Station and Drexel University, the site's primary ground lessor.
Quote:
According to Steven Gartner, CBRE's Managing Director of Retail Services, "Brandywine's Schuylkill Yards will be a world-class development, one of the most prominent and visible in the country. Its location is situated among the finest higher education and medical institutions in the nation, and is adjacent to the region's major transportation hub. We look forward to advising Brandywine and other team members to create a lifestyle environment that is more than just brains and trains. Through thoughtful placemaking, design, and lively ground floor activity, Schuylkill Yards will be a groundbreaking, dynamic, 24-hour community."
https://www.cbre.us/about/media-cent...ds-development

I love the quote..."brains and trains."

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:45 PM

CBRE? That's a pretty big deal. Also the renovation of the Bulletin building has been happening for a while now. I posted some photos that I took of if on here a short while back. I haven't checked it out since but I'm sure progress has been made. However Spark Therapeutics has signed on for around 107,000 of 284,000 sq ft already so there's not a whole of of space left.

While checking the Schuylkill Yards master plan here (http://www.schuylkillyards.com/plan.php) I noticed that while there's around 7,000,000 sq ft in total, only 2,800,000 of that will be office space. If I remember correctly, Amazon is looking for something around 8,000,000 sq ft. This means they're going to have to spill over into other development areas and office buildings. Maybe they will want to fast track the 30th St Station District development.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daario View Post
CBRE? That's a pretty big deal. Also the renovation of the Bulletin building has been happening for a while now. I posted some photos that I took of if on here a short while back. I haven't checked it out since but I'm sure progress has been made. However Spark Therapeutics has signed on for around 107,000 of 284,000 sq ft already so there's not a whole of of space left.

While checking the Schuylkill Yards master plan here (http://www.schuylkillyards.com/plan.php) I noticed that while there's around 7,000,000 sq ft in total, only 2,800,000 of that will be office space. If I remember correctly, Amazon is looking for something around 8,000,000 sq ft. This means they're going to have to spill over into other development areas and office buildings. Maybe they will want to fast track the 30th St Station District development.
In the proposal to Amazon they heightened some of the buildings, offered Cira Centre as part of it, and shifted most space to office.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 7:03 PM
Philly Pholly

but still a great opportunity to have on hand for future expansion. On a scale worthy of Amazon.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 8:54 PM
Mr. Technology

I sincerely hope that Amazon chooses Philadelphia for HQ2 for many reasons.
This city has tremendous growth potential, a championship sports team, a thriving transportation hub with direct rail service from the International Airport and the best food offerings around!

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 9:54 PM

If someone asked you 6 months ago if it was more likely to see Amazon or the Lombardi Trophy in Philly in 2018, which would you have picked?

Old Posted Mar 7, 2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
In the proposal to Amazon they heightened some of the buildings, offered Cira Centre as part of it, and shifted most space to office.
Can you elaborate on "Heightened?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
If someone asked you 6 months ago if it was more likely to see Amazon or the Lombardi Trophy in Philly in 2018, which would you have picked?
Probably Amazon, because the regular season hadn't started yet, and we didn't anticipate Wentz and the Eagles being as good as they were.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 5:04 AM

Philadephia will need to make room for 14 million sq ft if they are to match what’s planned for Seattle. https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...n-square-feet/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 12:53 PM

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
No reason we couldn't have both.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 2:56 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Are they seriously going to put in California redwood trees or some other species of redwood? If it is the former, that will be magnificent. These trees are like skyscrapers themselves in the world of tall trees...LOL.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
Are they seriously going to put in California redwood trees or some other species of redwood? If it is the former, that will be magnificent. These trees are like skyscrapers themselves in the world of tall trees...LOL.
They are putting in Dawn Redwood trees. https://philly.curbed.com/2017/11/8/...groundbreaking

According to Wikipedia, they're the least tall of the redwoods, but still grow to at least 165 feet!

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:08 PM

^Yup, 30 Dawn Redwoods - I think they will be around 30-40 ft tall though.

"The park will be filled with raised planter beds under the canopy of 30 Dawn Redwood trees and fitted with 60-foot light poles."

https://hiddencityphila.org/2017/11/...drexel-square/

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartphilly View Post
I forget where I read it but they are putting some redwood trees, but not the redwood trees. Guessing the climate might not be an ideal fit or the root system could cause issues with a couple hundred foot tall trees - although I think that would be amazing. I think (not 100% certain) that they's a species that grows to be 50 or so feet tall. Even that would take a loooong time though, but love the idea. With Love Park coming back, this and the River trail expansion I can't wait for Summer in Philly.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:11 PM

^from the Curbed article in Boku's post.

Maybe taller than 30 ft .... in any event, a lot of green for an area in desperate need of it.

We need a tree person to comment. I did read that Dawn Redwoods are fast growers... (that's what she said!).

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:39 PM

I used to have a Dawn Redwood in my yard, until a really bad winter a few years ago did it in. There's a magnificent old specimen--or at least there used to be--at the Morris Arboretum, if memory serves. Also, as I recall, Dawn Redwoods were thought to have been long extinct until some living specimens were discovered in Asia (China, maybe?) in the 1940s, when they were introduced as somewhat rare specimen trees to North America (and I believe that's about when the Morris Arboretum got its specimen). It was kind of the botanical equivalent of discovering some living specimens of mammals or dinosaurs that had been thought to have become extinct long ago. They do grow fairly quickly, and can get to be quite tall.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 3:59 PM
build awesome buildings

I believe the plan is to plant fairly mature trees here so that it's not just a bunch of sticks popping out of the ground; don't remember where I read that, but I'm pretty sure that's the plan.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 4:43 PM

IF nothing else happens at SY (and, of course, more WILL happen), that park is going to change the entire vibe of that side of the station. As someone said about the Schuylkill River Trail, where does the time go? I spent years going through that wasteland -- and to think that it will soon be a memory....

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 5:28 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boku View Post
This is where the next tallest building in Philadelphia should go. On the north side across the street from the new park. 3001 JFK Blvd.

Last edited by SEFTA; Mar 8, 2018 at 5:57 PM.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2018, 6:25 PM

looongg time reader, re: tree person. A great example of a mature dawn redwood in an urban setting is at the southeast corner of Washington Square Park as seen in Google Street View.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9462...7i13312!8i6656

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals