HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 9:50 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Sad to hear about the Killam re-clad. That was one of the best brutatlist buildings in the nation.
The work won't be done until absolutely necessary (basically when the walls are falling into disrepair) so we should have those beautiful concrete walls for a little while yet.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 10:31 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Feb 19, 2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Looks like the Collaborative Health Education Building has been scaled back since the previous rendering. Below is the new one, the architects are Barrie & Langille Architects of Halifax in association with Moriyama & Teshima and it is slated to open Fall 2015.

Source: Dal
Holy 1980s, Batman!!!

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Holy 1980s, Batman!!!
Interesting: I would have pegged it for 60s, Robin.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 3:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
The work won't be done until absolutely necessary (basically when the walls are falling into disrepair) so we should have those beautiful concrete walls for a little while yet.
Wouldn't regular preventive maintenance prevent it from ever falling into that kind of disrepair?

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 4:27 PM
Fizzix geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Holy 1980s, Batman!!!
yeah pretty bland and dated for something that is branded as a "Bold Ambition Campaign!". Should be called the "Lowered Expectations Campaign" (with the corresponding cheesy music from SNL in the background).

Old Posted Feb 20, 2013, 4:39 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
Heritage Trust members in the making!

Although in terms of brutalism the facad is the most attractive example in the city. I would prefer glass though... the contrast between the actual heritage stone and glass on the Dal campus will be much more fitting.

Fenwick on the other hand looks terrible, cleaning or not. Its not the form... its just not good quality cladding.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2013, 7:10 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
I take it that you're not a fan of brutatlist architecture?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 5:34 AM

The newer academic buildings designed by Moriyama & Teshima all seem a little on the bland side i.e. the one proposed for SMU, and the Science Research building at the University of Toronto Scarborough which I don't think measures up to the rest of the campus. Ok as background buildings I guess. I assume Moriyama and Teshima themselves are more or less retired.

I agree that the Killam ought to be better preserved. It's very unique in the region and I don't think turning it into a glass cube would be any improvement. Wasn't happy when they took up the fountain in the atrium (and some seating) to install that smelly Subway outlet. Neither were those in the International Centre who had their office windows covered over and the place filled with that stench all day. They actually had to relocate to a different building.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 5:40 AM
The New Republic

The fountain is gone?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 6:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
The fountain is gone?
I did some googling to confirm and got this surprising photo from July 2012, a few months after I was last in the city:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/AyGVkZsCMAAGpkJ.jpg:large

For perspective, the Subway (which was operating when I left) is in the NE corner of the space. Looks like the fountain is gone as are the trees and the sculptural concrete ledges and sunken bits. Any current students here who could tell us what it looks like today?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 1:17 PM
BUILD!

I still go to Dal. The main atrium of the library has undergone some fairly major changes over the last couple of years. Subway was added awhile back (which did remove the fountain). A few months ago they re-did the seating area to be a lot more colourful and inviting (as well as offer more seating to people).

Overall, I would say the Killam atrium looks better than it did before - even with the removal of the awesome fountain. Subway is handy to have there when you're working into the evening (it's open till 10 most days).

Old Posted Feb 24, 2013, 1:30 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post
I still go to Dal. The main atrium of the library has undergone some fairly major changes over the last couple of years. Subway was added awhile back (which did remove the fountain). A few months ago they re-did the seating area to be a lot more colourful and inviting (as well as offer more seating to people).

Overall, I would say the Killam atrium looks better than it did before - even with the removal of the awesome fountain. Subway is handy to have there when you're working into the evening (it's open till 10 most days).
Thanks for the update. I think a Subway would be convenient and it probably is a good source of income for the university.

I liked studying at the Killam Library. I am not sure if it is still the same setup. When I was there there were desks set up on the upper floors overlooking the (then) open courtyard (I was at Dalhousie from 1976 - 1978 and then I was at TUNS for two years, which is now the Dalhousie Sexton campus).

I also liked the music room where students could go and listen to individual record players (with headphones).

I think that Dalhousie University has one of the top campuses in Canada. I enjoyed my time there as a student.

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
Looks like the Collaborative Health Education Building has been scaled back since the previous rendering. Below is the new one, the architects are Barrie & Langille Architects of Halifax in association with Moriyama & Teshima and it is slated to open Fall 2015.

Source: Dal
An updated, zoomed out rendering is now available. This building is definitely a 180 design wise form the LSRC next door:

Source

Old Posted Apr 4, 2013, 9:55 PM

Amazing. They went out of town to find architects, and got themselves a really bad design. Those are usually available locally.

Old Posted Apr 6, 2013, 1:55 AM
opinionated so and so

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmcclassic View Post

Hehehe having a fountain right above the computer labs was never a great idea!

Old Posted May 17, 2013, 3:49 AM
Honored Member

The Bold Ambitions campaign exceeded expectations. Great news - not only does it include capital projects, it also includes program enhancements and scholarship programs, which will encourage new recruitment from Canada and internationally.

It will be a great economic boost if a large proportion of Canadian and international students will stay within the region after graduation and help create jobs locally. It would be a great source of immigration to the region.

(source: http://newswise.com/articles/dalhous...million-raised)
Quote:
Dalhousie Celebrates Successful Conclusion to Bold Ambitions - 280 Million Raised
Released: 5/16/2013 1:00 PM EDT
Source Newsroom: Dalhousie University

Newswise — Thanks to unprecedented generosity on the part of alumni, faculty, staff and friends, Bold Ambitions: The Campaign for Dalhousie has exceeded its original $250-million goal. The campaign has raised $280 million, which will directly impact the learning experience for Dalhousie’s students.

Bold Ambitions has provided students with greater-than-ever access to scholarships, raising $75 million – more than double the original $35-million goal.

“Scholarship capacity is critical to Dalhousie for so many reasons,” said Dalhousie President, Dr. Tom Traves, at the event. “It gives us a competitive edge in attracting the best and the brightest. It allows us to support students from other countries, adding to the university’s rich diversity. It gives opportunity to students working to rise above social barriers and severe financial constraints. It ensures our students are empowered to make decisions that are right for them.”

The campaign also brought in $90 million for academic enrichment, $45 million for program expansion, and $70 million for capital projects. Support for the campaign was broad-based, attracting gifts from 20,000 donors across Canada and around the world.

Some of the most notable changes that will result from the campaign include a new School of Performing Arts, an innovative Student Learning Commons, a $100-million increase to the university’s endowment, a new Chair in Health Law and Policy, recruited from Yale, and the Mark A. Hill Centre for students living with disabilities.

This was the largest comprehensive campaign in Dalhousie’s nearly 200-year history.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 12:14 PM

the parking lot at the corner of summer and university is closed; looks like some drilling is happening.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 8:30 PM

Not sure if this is the right place to put this but I couldn't find any other dal threads to update.

20160803_155341 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20160803_155537_HDR by Jonovision23, on Flickr

20160803_155505 by Jonovision23, on Flickr

Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 8:31 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth