HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 12:38 PM
Skyriser

My Fairgrounds Proposal: Veterans Square Pavilion - Capacity: 162,835 - 6.1M sqft

So how much does it cost to excavate and shore 3 - 6 million cubic yards of dirt?

click for 1px:1.66ft scale PDF

PDF of above tables

done in Inkscape, which is free software. i've never made anything quite like this before, and its my first attempt at assembling my own colors ...

the TODO obviously includes some shade structures.

suggestions/comments/flames welcome.

Last edited by combusean; Jul 20, 2008 at 12:49 PM.

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 2:19 PM

Holy developments, Batman!

Most impressive, Sean. A visionary you are.

Pity this will never happen in this low-tax, lowest-common-denominator state that lacks vision but features plenty of right-wing demagogues willing to do anything to get elected.

TIF is not available in Arizona without a change to the Constitution and/or statutory edits. Good luck getting the 90 dwarves to pass such legislation in our lifetime. They are too busy fighting "the Gay Agenda" and getting a stupid marriage proposal on the ballot rather than fixing our ailing sprawl-oriented economy.

--don

Old Posted Jul 20, 2008, 4:40 PM
BANNED

horrible, this idea

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 1:01 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Where is the Coliseum? Any fairgrounds renovation proposal that means knocking over the Coliseum is something I'd fight tooth and nail. The attitude of 'well I don't like sports, so this isn't a historic or important building' is wrong headed. I think the question in regards to whether a building deserves to be saved or not needs to change from 'is this building important to me' to "is this building important". I don't see how an argument could be made that the Coliseum isn't a huge part of Phoenix's history, not only the buildings use, but also its architectural style. Its mid-century look is definitively Phoenician.

You've done a good job of trying to mix uses (the retail and office), but I don't know if thats enough. I'd really like to see Encanto Park expanded to incorporate all of the fairgrounds. By eliminating the Encanto 9 hole course, you'd have enough room for both more fairground space and more general open park space.

Like I said in the previous thread, Forest Park and Exhibition Place ought to be looked at as examples of what Encanto Park/the Fairgrounds could become.

I also think adding a 4 year college to the South side of the site would be a huge boon for the city. Phoenix has no independent, non religious, 4 year colleges, and thats pathetic. Adding a college is a great way to help bring back an area, it leads to more retail and dense living to spring up around the area and almost always increases surrounding land values.

I made a map of what I'd hope to see in this area as well:
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...af69b&t=h&z=14

I'd even be fine w/ doing away w/ the MLS Stadium, as I don't think Phoenix landing a MLS team is very likely. That way a refurbished Coliseum wouldn't have any competition for concerts and the like. That way you could have more open space for the fair, the park or the college.

I think the most important thing for the Fairgrounds as it pertains to the fair is, quality permanent exhibition buildings. The barns are gross and pathetic. I'd wager that a lot of people don't ever even go in them when they go to the fair, they just eat the food and ride the rides. We need structures along these lines (though done in Desert Modern):

Of course constructing quality buildings like that isn't easy or cheap. One thing I thought about is, revitalizing the idea of the "Desert Cities Conference." For those not familiar it was an idea that came out of the Phoenix Futures Forums that had Phoenix hosting a reoccurring (not sure how often, every 4 years maybe) conference of world desert cities. It would focus on things like water usage, desert sustainability, etc. With the new Convention Center nearly finished, maybe its time to bring back that idea. The Convention Center could house more business type aspects of the conference, but the Fairgrounds could be the portion for the public. Various cities/countries could build structures at the fairgrounds (like whats done at Worlds Fairs) to exhibit their own stuff. So you'd have a "Dubai Building", a "Tucson Building", etc. Each done in its own style, designed by someone from that city/area, thus giving the area a unique and diverse look. The buildings could be required to be multi use in their design, so that the college could use them when the conference was over (plus I'd imagine a conference like that would likely want to rotate cities).

Anyway Sean, I like your idea in general. We need to do away with the excessive parking, add more green space, improve the fairgrounds and surrounding area. However, I don't think that should come at the expense of one of Phoenix's most unique buildings. I'd like to see a different mixture of uses to the area, like a college and a year round attraction/symbol of the city, like a wheel or spire. I think adding too much office to that area would be opposed by the local residents and may detract from our downtown and midtown areas which are already being pulled apart by the Biltmore area, and the various office parks lining all of our highways.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 1:55 AM
Skyriser

^ I basically took the impression that it's not worth rehabbing a coliseum when there are already two venues (Glendale Arena and USAC) that are newer and have better locations.

So I prefer tearing it down to build the largest event center in the world--but nothing less than something like that.

There are several historic buildings on the site--I checked your map Hoover and it doesnt look they are accounted for. I also wanted plenty of space for the Fair to continue where it is. The Cattle Barn is probably gross, but again, the history--I took one look at the huge red ENTRANCE sign above it and realized that it had to stay too. The Plaza Building is demolished, as are the Grandstands--both of those are historic but they were really in the way.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean View Post
There are several historic buildings on the site--I checked your map Hoover and it doesnt look they are accounted for.
Are you talking about those smallish buildings on the south side of the site? In my imagination I just had them being adapted for the colleges use. I didn't really get specific about things like roads, exact placement of buildings, etc., so I figured those buildings could hold classrooms, offices, whatever.

I can see what you mean about USAC and Jobing.com being better venues than the Coliseum, but the saddle shaped roof, the memories, I'd really hate to see it go. Plus, if there was a small college built there, it could be rehabbed and be their equivalent of NAUs Skydome/ASUs Wells Fargo Arena. Good for graduations, basketball, wrestling, gymnastics, concerts for bands/choruses, etc.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 6:42 AM
Skyriser

^ Yeah, I figured it would be a tremendous disservice if the buildings to the south weren't mostly re-adapted for use in whatever plan that comes up with.

I like a lot of ideas in your plan Hoover--specifically a big London Eye-type wheel and a new college. I just don't think the fairgrounds are the best place for such a wheel. A 500' structure would never jive with NIMBY's to the east in Encanto-Palmcroft, nor would any spire or anything of the sort, which is one reason I kept the maximum height at 100'--the maximum height of the Coliseum itself. This plan is more representative of how I like cities--monumental stuff is great but scale is better. To converge the two is golden.

Why not a big wheel for the UP yards just east of downtown? You have a more elongated site that could fit the wheel as a centerpiece--hopefully the aviation height limits are good enough there.

A college would really go better at the old County Hospital site. I think one on 19th and McDowell would be too close to Phoenix College. The private, liberal arts university that has been batted about this forum would work perfectly sandwiched between the two ASU campuses.

I've been doing informal surveys of people I've talked to in the last week and I'm not finding a whole lot of love for the Coliseum. I think its days are really numbered whatever happens with it. I agree totally about everything you said about it and normally I would be opposed to its demolition. But the only reason I propose tearing it down is building something 10x better.

A facility that seated 163,000 would be a monumental structure--people the world over would dream all sorts of crazy events in attempt to fill it. It wouldn't have competition anywhere in the United States because the US just isn't building shit like this anymore.

I didn't really think about taking down the Encanto 9 course. Maybe the pavilion itself could be under Encanto Dr and could exist peacefully with the Coliseum, but then there would be no good east/west access corridors. The diagonal road I placed in the above--West Veterans Square--connects with Palm on both sides.

There's two problems with the open space area I see on your plan. One--it's boring. It wouldn't be that different from the Fairgrounds today--used almost only when the Fairgrounds are in town and completely vacant, empty, etc the other 11 months of the year. The second issue I see is the scale--eg, the huge pavilion is ringed with small businesses on almost all sides. You have blah next to 19th Avenue--maybe that sort of thing disappears in the level of detail.

Anyways, I would hope this discussion is kept open. Knowing this town, The Powers That Be wouldn't have anything as forward-thinking as anything that's been suggested here, from ferris wheels to colleges to big-ass event pavilions--they would just want to build on the grounds, build up, and screw our history, our culture as well as damn near everything else and everyone.

That was one reason I highlighted 663,000 square feet of retail. That's basically the limits of most of their thinking.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 7:03 AM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post
Holy developments, Batman!

Most impressive, Sean. A visionary you are.

Pity this will never happen in this low-tax, lowest-common-denominator state that lacks vision but features plenty of right-wing demagogues willing to do anything to get elected.

TIF is not available in Arizona without a change to the Constitution and/or statutory edits. Good luck getting the 90 dwarves to pass such legislation in our lifetime. They are too busy fighting "the Gay Agenda" and getting a stupid marriage proposal on the ballot rather than fixing our ailing sprawl-oriented economy.

--don
It doesn't require much on behalf of the state other than passing TIF. I placed most of the work on the city whose coffers are deeper and wouldn't have any problem underwriting bonds for something like this--that's how the Sheraton Downtown was built. The Downtown Phoenix Hotel Corporation was created and even tho convention facilities > $1 million must be approved by voters, skirting the bonding authority to the Hotel Corporation got around this.

The only reason to have TIF is to just pay the big bill--the pavilion itself. Don, Rio Nuevo has TIF and it's an unending, mismanaged mess. If what you were saying were true Tucson would've never got it. TIF here has one specific purpose--build this fucking pavilion and call it a day. Once the pavilion is paid off, bye bye TIF--the state finally gets to reap the full sales tax collections. The state should be able to look at this as a procedural investment with no risk.

It's the City that puts the greatest amount of money forward and would be liable for debt service if sales/property taxes *really* didn't meet monthly obligations. I don't think that would happen tho.

But it's not like TIF would be shirking the state from any revenue--since none of it would happen without doing something. What's the alternative? If it were the usual fare--building some mall/tower complex etc on the Fairground site--it would have happened by now.

I would have to dig into the numbers more but I think this thing could pay for itself. TIF/City incentivized sales taxes plus a special enhanced services district--that's 50% of and on top of your normal property tax bill--would start paying down the monstrous construction costs of the pavilion itself in no time. Three sources of funds are a lot for anything around here.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 7:54 AM

Quote:
A college would really go better at the old County Hospital site. I think one on 19th and McDowell would be too close to Phoenix College. The private, liberal arts university that has been batted about this forum would work perfectly sandwiched between the two ASU campuses.
Well I don't think it the proximity to P.C. would be too big of an issue, as a Junior College and a 4 year University don't really compete with one another. P.C. could be seen as a feeder to the 4 year school. In University City (a 'burb of St Louis) they have Washington University, Fontbonne University and Concordia Seminary all more of less adjacent to each other. They don't really seem to detract from each other, but rather make the entire area better. They help feed the Delmar Loop (their Mill Ave if you will), create a beautiful landscape (college campuses are generally well landscaped and have nice architecture) and the home values around there are quite high.

Also, I certainly don't disagree with you that the Old Count Hospital site would make a good college location. However, since there's already a hospital facility there, I imagine a school with a medical program would fit better (as opposed to a liberal arts school, which wouldn't have that sort of thing). If we're going to dream big, we may as well dream REALLY big. Why have only one new college? New York City (and many other cities) have city colleges. Why not copy the C.U.N.Y. system here in Phoenix?

Have a liberal arts school on 19th/McDowell (Encanto College), a Medical and science geared school at the old hospital grounds (Arizona Tech), and an agriculture and mining school in Laveen (Arizona A&M). A system like this would take pressure off both ASU and its satellites as well as the Community Colleges, as it would theoretically mean more 4 year slots for students. Plus the assumed smaller schools and class sizes would give students some actually choices other than going to the behemoth that is ASU.

EDIT: Another thought, since its 1am, I can't sleep and I have to be up in 6 hours to shoot a documentary about a guy who can't sleep (who's not me).

Today while I was working I drove by Steele Indian School park and thought what a shame it is that the land bounded by Central, Indian School, Ferrington and the park, sits empty. If the city owns this land, perhaps they could gift it to the Native American tribes of Arizona. Let them establish a University for Native Americans (and they could let others in too if they so wished), sort of taking back the old Indian School if you will. Perhaps then instead of (or maybe in addition to) putting slot machines at Sky Harbor the Native Americans could be allowed to have a small slot parlor at this location, along with Off Track Betting. I'm sure it would be well patronized as it would be right along the light rail line and in a busy part of town. The profits could be used to fund the school with perhaps a small portion of them going back to the city in taxes.

Perhaps I'm a racist monster for assuming the Native Americans would want a University of their own, I'm not sure. Or perhaps they'd welcome the chance to have the premiere college in the country for Indigenous peoples.

Last edited by HooverDam; Jul 21, 2008 at 8:19 AM.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 8:35 AM
Skyriser

The big blob of land on the corner is owned by Collier.... @#$! I think I'll be middle-aged before it ever develops.

One thing I've noticed on college campuses in other cities is that while the landscape is typically lush, the approach from the street is not. I don't really find it odd that ASU would be wanting to build such fortresses after seeing much worse stuff in other cities than whatever we're getting with them.

Hoover I was confused when I looked at your plan last--it doesn't look like there would be space for the Fair where it is with how you have layed it out.

Which team would go in the stadium on 19th?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 9:31 AM
Skyriser

In retrospect I think I was a bit too hasty with the wrecking ball... since that diagonal doglegs so significantly it might just bypass the Coliseum itself.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 2:22 PM

Quote:
The big blob of land on the corner is owned by Collier.... @#$! I think I'll be middle-aged before it ever develops.

One thing I've noticed on college campuses in other cities is that while the landscape is typically lush, the approach from the street is not. I don't really find it odd that ASU would be wanting to build such fortresses after seeing much worse stuff in other cities than whatever we're getting with them.

Hoover I was confused when I looked at your plan last--it doesn't look like there would be space for the Fair where it is with how you have layed it out.

Which team would go in the stadium on 19th?
Thats true, a lot of campuses are inward facing, anti urban fortresses. However, its not always the case and shouldn't be accepted as how it would always be.

I just threw the stadium in my little map because people were talking about an MLS team coming to Phoenix, so I thought it better to put the stadium for the soccer team there than out in the boonies somewhere. However, thats unlikely to actually happen, so that could just be fair/park space.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 3:14 PM
BANNED

what I still don't get is why you designed what I am assuming is an amphitheater that is shaped like something a 3 year old would draw. Why not design something with sight lines or acoustics in mind. This is a cool idea in theory, however your execution, now that I've had an opportunity to look at it, is AWFUL.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 5:19 PM
Bring out the cranes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Vandercook View Post
what I still don't get is why you designed what I am assuming is an amphitheater that is shaped like something a 3 year old would draw. now that I've had an opportunity to look at it, is AWFUL.

Let's see you come up with something better then if you feel you need to put down others for their work.
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 8:01 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Vandercook View Post
what I still don't get is why you designed what I am assuming is an amphitheater that is shaped like something a 3 year old would draw. Why not design something with sight lines or acoustics in mind. This is a cool idea in theory, however your execution, now that I've had an opportunity to look at it, is AWFUL.
I had assumed the sight lines were there--the acoustics, I'm not sure. The terraces along 18th avenue are successively deeper and deeper. The "Monte Vista Service" area is at least 4 stories below Monte Vista Rd itself. I had anticipated the terraces to have rolling hills of a sort that would've given everyone a good view well into the stage.

If the sight-lines and acoustics would truly suck I don't see it, but then again I've never done anything like this.

Could you explain the issue in greater detail?

Old Posted Jul 21, 2008, 11:29 PM
Skyriser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooverDam View Post
Well I don't think it the proximity to P.C. would be too big of an issue, as a Junior College and a 4 year University don't really compete with one another. P.C. could be seen as a feeder to the 4 year school. In University City (a 'burb of St Louis) they have Washington University, Fontbonne University and Concordia Seminary all more of less adjacent to each other. They don't really seem to detract from each other, but rather make the entire area better. They help feed the Delmar Loop (their Mill Ave if you will), create a beautiful landscape (college campuses are generally well landscaped and have nice architecture) and the home values around there are quite high.
I think Goodyear is trying to do this by attracting a few private universities and going towards a mini college town-type atmosphere in its downtown like one city in California. In that city, whose name I can't recall, the universities don't actually end up competing with each other but streamlining transfers so other colleges pick up the slack where they might not have a class, etc.

Quote:
Also, I certainly don't disagree with you that the Old Count Hospital site would make a good college location. However, since there's already a hospital facility there, I imagine a school with a medical program would fit better (as opposed to a liberal arts school, which wouldn't have that sort of thing). If we're going to dream big, we may as well dream REALLY big. Why have only one new college? New York City (and many other cities) have city colleges. Why not copy the C.U.N.Y. system here in Phoenix?
As I see it, the County Hospital building will get demolished or get converted into housing--they'll have to strip it to the concrete to treat the asbestos and I'm pretty sure the floor-to-floor heights are obsolete.

The County Hospital itself will move between the 7's downtown to be closer to the existing biotech action there. It's where they want to be and ultimately it's just a matter of time. My bets are on the Pappas site as part of a westward downtown ASU expansion.

Quote:
Have a liberal arts school on 19th/McDowell (Encanto College), a Medical and science geared school at the old hospital grounds (Arizona Tech), and an agriculture and mining school in Laveen (Arizona A&M). A system like this would take pressure off both ASU and its satellites as well as the Community Colleges, as it would theoretically mean more 4 year slots for students. Plus the assumed smaller schools and class sizes would give students some actually choices other than going to the behemoth that is ASU.
The equivalent of our A&M/polytechnic school is ASU East so I'm not sure about another one in Laveen. Do metros typically support more than one of these things?

The community colleges are doing OK handling the 2-year demand as far as I can tell. If I had it my way, ASU East would exist on its own state-level as a A&M/polytechnic campus. ASU West should become Phoenix State University as has been proposed elsewhere. Most/all/some CC's need to become 4-year institutions to truly offer a range of educational opportunities with the distinction in the name--Phoenix City College maybe?

It fits within the county's role of educating the masses--they run the public schools too--and the State's role of research as it's the only thing they've been funding lately. The MCCCD system is incredibly well run and has a deep source of revenue through property taxes which they frequently bond from. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if more money available at the county level is the biggest justification behind ABOR's opposition to this.

However, in retrospect, Hoover--you're right--the plat seriously lacks an educational opportunity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLC Projects View Post

Let's see you come up with something better then if you feel you need to put down others for their work.
Praise is free. Criticism is priceless.

I need to get back to my real job for a bit but I intend on retooling this to keep the Coliseum as well as space for a 4-year college as Hoover has proposed.

Thank you all for your feedback--I'm very glad I slept on this and vetted it out here before releasing it further.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2009, 10:40 AM

Thread necromancy time!

So my buddy from London is in town and we were talking about the London Eye (big ferris wheel they have), which made me nerdily look up a list of the biggest ferris wheels in the world. The biggest one in the US is at the Texas State fair, so then I got reading about the Texas State fair on Wikipedia and it gave me an idea...

The "Red River Shootout" (U of Texas vs U of Oklahoma) coincides with the Texas State fair and is played on site at the Cotton Bowl stadium which is part of their (beautiful) fairgrounds. They also have the small Grambling State vs Prarie View A&M game during the fair. As a sports fan, and a lover of all things fairs/expos, I became jealous.

Obviously we couldn't do this here because our fairgrounds don't have a football stadium and are too small too. However with the Coliseum there, I was thinking it would be really fun to have an early season College Basketball 'tournament' there. You could have ASU, UA, GCU and NAU all play one game (maybe the small schools one night, and the big schools the next, or mix it up GCU-ASU one night, NAU-UA the next) against out of state opponents. It would help a team like ASU attract better opponents since it would be more of a special event. People could get in to general admission seats with their fair tickets (like how the concerts work) and I think it would be a fun way for people who normally wouldn't/couldnt go to a college basketball game to be exposed to it. Call it something like "The State Fair Classic."

I dunno I guess I don't really expect anyone to respond to this as its just a weird, strange idea I had late at night. But- if something like this ever does happen, it came from my brain first!

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 1:16 AM

Of course that's a great idea...

However, isn't the Coliseum pretty much falling apart and in no state to host bball games?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Of course that's a great idea...

However, isn't the Coliseum pretty much falling apart and in no state to host bball games?
Its in bad shape, but they have concerts and expo type shows in there (gun shows, book shows, etc), so I think its safe to be in if thats what you're asking. But yes, it would require some fixin' up of the old Coliseum to make it a more appealing venue, but I want Encanto Park expanded and the Fair grounds spruced up in general, so fixing up the Coliseum would be a part of that.

I wish Encanto Park & the fairgrounds were more of a priority for our city and state leaders, maybe we'd be able to get some of that stimulus money to use for a project like that.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 12:56 PM

I would not favor any plan that tears down the place (Coliseum) where I saw Journey on December 13th, 1986, one of the three nights they f ing sold out at that place. Just sayin'.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest