HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Feb 12, 2008, 12:32 AM
this could have been...

[QUOTE=DowntownDweller;3346636]FYI, they moved Coronado to the 30th IIRC, because the 23rd is Easter Sunday (and my Bday).

yes, you are correct. the Coronado Home tour and Festival
is Sunday March 30th, with headquarters at Coronado Park
at 12th st. and Palm Lane. i think it starts at 10 am.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 5:52 PM
METRO: Encanto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownDweller View Post
Twas good. Daughter was getting tired, so we missed out on two of the locations (#2 and #13). Hands down, #6 was the gem of the tour.
I think that is the same house in this article. The problem that I had with that house was the whole business of tearing out walls, putting the kitchen where the dining room used to be, etc. My favorites on the tour are typically the houses that have managed to use more of the original rooms, cabinets, windows, etc. That is often difficult given the change in lifestyle over the years (we typically want larger kitchens, for example) but it is great when you can pull it off. Sure did like that walnut countertop on the kitchen island though. They had one of those in the model at the Chateaux.

Nobody mentioned the Encanto Palmcroft tour, which is worth seeing, but their website says they are taking the year off and will be back in 2009.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 6:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I think that is the same house in this article. The problem that I had with that house was the whole business of tearing out walls, putting the kitchen where the dining room used to be, etc. My favorites on the tour are typically the houses that have managed to use more of the original rooms, cabinets, windows, etc. That is often difficult given the change in lifestyle over the years (we typically want larger kitchens, for example) but it is great when you can pull it off. Sure did like that walnut countertop on the kitchen island though. They had one of those in the model at the Chateaux.
We are actually thinking of expanding our kitchen footprint by opening up the back wall of the house. Originally, this was just going to be a laundry/mud room, pantry, etc. Now, we are thinking of moving the fridge to reside in this space (but be right next to the existing kitchen wall), and making a much larger opening, to make it feel like more of one room instead of two separate rooms. That house on the tour made me think to do this, but our's won't be anywhere near as grand. I was actually talking to the wife about what they must have done to create such a space as the whole area seemed larger than just 2 rooms combined. While this is a deviation from what we were going to do, we still aren't really going to be altering any or the existing floorplan of the house, and all the new stuff will be in the addition. That article clues me in a bit as to the origins of the house on the tour.

Quote:
Nobody mentioned the Encanto Palmcroft tour, which is worth seeing, but their website says they are taking the year off and will be back in 2009.
Went to it last year, and IIRC, once prior (although my memory of it is VERY vague). The classic cars they had at each house on the tour were great.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post

To use the original cabinets/windows, etc., you have to be lucky enough to have them be properly maintained over the decades, which is highly atypical.
I like the grand remodels, but I might agree with you somewhat... changing floorplans and completely modernizing everything takes away a bit from the historical integrity of the house. But, times change and improvements are necesssary/good.

I would like to do some serious remodeling of my house, but I just can't bear the thought of spending so much money and time. I'll probably try to do a really nice remodel/upgrade to my kitchen/bathroom, with as little costs/time/demolition as possible.

BTW, when are we ever going to see some more pictures from the SSP meet/home tour (aside from those downtowndweller already posted).

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
To use the original cabinets/windows, etc., you have to be lucky enough to have them be properly maintained over the decades, which is highly atypical.
In on windows, and original kitchen upper cabinets here. Wouldn't trade em

Quote:
I like the grand remodels, but I might agree with you somewhat... changing floorplans and completely modernizing everything takes away a bit from the historical integrity of the house. But, times change and improvements are necesssary/good.
I HATE open floorplans. One big family/kitchen/dining room BS irritates me. Anybody remember a house in Willo from 2-3 years back which had like a 1ksqft great room in the middle of the house? It was utterly rediculous. Even my architect (well, former architect as I fired him ) tried to modernize my house plans. "Why don't you use scissor trusses and vault the ceilings?" Me: HELL NO! I am doing a period-style addition, not sticking a modern house on the back of a historic facade.

I ended up merely going with a 1' higher top plate for 10' ceilings instead of the 9'ers I have now.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2008, 3:51 AM
E pluribus unum

Photos of the Willo District (and Downtown) up in the City Photos section:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=146223

Old Posted Feb 6, 2009, 10:54 PM
METRO: Encanto

Just a reminder that the 2009 tour is this Sunday.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2009, 10:06 PM
this could have been...

the 2009 Coronado Home Tour is on Saturday March 7.

it's a little different this year - earlier in the month and on a sat. vs. a Sunday.
also, it's going to be a twilight tour and festival, starting at about 3 pm
and going to about 8 i believe. it will also include businesses on 7th street, coordinating with our monthly 7th on 7th neighborhood event, supporting businesses on 7th street. the tour will also include our great new neighborhood restaurant, the Tuck Shop, on the traffic circle at 12th street and Oak (SE corner.) more info at www.gcna.info. thx.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest