HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:17 AM

In The Future Every Building Will Be World-Famous For Fifteen Minutes.

Instagram

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 6:39 PM

MANITOBA COVID-19 UPDATE NOV. 21:

- 387 new cases
- 13,304 total
- 8,012 active
- 217 dead
- 10 deaths yesterday
- 276 hospital, 45 ICU

- 5,075 recovery
- 327,511 tests
- 2,519 YDA
- TP 13.8%

New cases:

Winnipeg - 218
Southern - 94
Northern - 34
Interlake-Eastern - 26
Prairie Mountain - 15

New outbreaks:

- Grace Hospital Unit 3 North in Winnipeg
- Dakota House in Winnipeg
- Eastview Place in Altona
- Tabor Home in Morden
- Fernwood Place in Steinbach
- Lion Prairie Manor and Douglas Campbell Lodge in Portage la Prairie

Winnipeg test positivity rate is 13.6%

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 6:50 PM

Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 10:10 PM

Almost 550 new cases today. A new record.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...r-23-1.5812486

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 2:47 AM

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 4:21 AM

^^^Church is not an essential service. Please stay home. The southern health region is drowning in covd, they should not get any special treatment. Everyone else will be up in arms about getting together too. They are being selfish.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 1:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
^^^Church is not an essential service. Please stay home. The southern health region is drowning in covd, they should not get any special treatment. Everyone else will be up in arms about getting together too. They are being selfish.
Also...just do a remote prayer session over Zoom/Teams, etc. I'm not Christian, but if Jesus was real, I'm pretty sure the idea of being kind to save other people's lives (especially for only another 2-6 months!) would jive with his overall message.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
Also...just do a remote prayer session over Zoom/Teams, etc. I'm not Christian, but if Jesus was real, I'm pretty sure the idea of being kind to save other people's lives (especially for only another 2-6 months!) would jive with his overall message.
Exactly.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 5:40 PM

The big church on HWY 59 by the mint had a big screen like the ones used for the the whiteout celebrations in their lot. Their congregation just stayed in the car to listen to the service on the screen.

I have not been by in the last few weeks to see if they are still doing that now that its getting colder out.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 6:48 PM

MANITOBA COVID-19 UPDATE NOV. 24:

- 476 new
- 14,558 total
- 8,677 active
- 248 dead
- 12 deaths yesterday
- 292 hospital, 47 ICU

- 5,633 recovered
- 337,489 tests
- 3,461 YDA
- TP 14.2%

New cases:

Winnipeg - 257
Southern - 111
Northern - 38
Interlake-Eastern - 37
Prairie Mountain - 33

New outbreak:

- Northern Lights Manor in Flin Flon

Outbreaks over:

- Patient Care Units E5 and E6 at the St. Boniface Hospital

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 7:22 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luisito View Post
Well that's certainly a matter of opinion. Religious groups certainly view their activities and worship as being not only essential, but the most essential aspect of their lives, bar none. I would simply caution people from casting aside our protections for religion and other charter protected freedoms as being easily dispensed with, because one day, someone you really don't like could use the guise of emergency to actually usurp power and agency from the people.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 7:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cllew View Post
The big church on HWY 59 by the mint had a big screen like the ones used for the the whiteout celebrations in their lot. Their congregation just stayed in the car to listen to the service on the screen.

I have not been by in the last few weeks to see if they are still doing that now that its getting colder out.
The vast majority of faith based organizations are following the protocols. Mosques are closed. Catholic Archdiocese has instructed all churches to completely follow protocols the whole time (offer online service). The church you mention etc. It appears that the rule breaking seems pretty limited to this one congregation near Steinbach that was both involved with the rally and held service during the lockdown. (The pastor has received a ticket for each instance). His note shared above does raise fair points however.

In terms of covid trends. Numbers over the last couple days of days have not been great. Province wide fortnight over fortnight increase continues to diminish though and the close contact numbers are going down per Roussin. Lets hope in the next week we see the curve starting to drop.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
Well that's certainly a matter of opinion. Religious groups certainly view their activities and worship as being not only essential, but the most essential aspect of their lives, bar none. I would simply caution people from casting aside our protections for religion and other charter protected freedoms as being easily dispensed with, because one day, someone you really don't like could use the guise of emergency to actually usurp power and agency from the people.
When people say essential, they are talking about continuing to live and pay for things, not the eternal soul. There is no stipulation in the bible that prayers to god must be done in a large group with others. There is also no law saying people can't do that, these are extreme and temporary circumstances. To stretch that this is a serious threat to liberty is just silly.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 8:43 PM

Quote:
That is the go-to argument that some of these conspiracy theorists use. This is not a violation of personal rights and freedoms. This is also not without precedent. 100 years ago, during the Spanish influenza, most North American cities passed by-laws in terms of mandatory mask wearing, social distancing, and restrictions from gathering in large numbers.

The end result was it saved thousands of lives, and our rights and freedoms were fine. How is walking into a Costco or WalMart in a g-string thong any different? One would likely be kicked out of the business, even though I do not believe there are laws forbidding this. Would one argue that one has the constitutional right to drink a bottle of Vodka, then drive at 160 km/h while texting? Both acts are selfish, and can affect the health and safety of the community.

Last edited by BlackDog204; Nov 24, 2020 at 9:06 PM.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 9:44 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDog204 View Post
That is the go-to argument that some of these conspiracy theorists use. This is not a violation of personal rights and freedoms. This is also not without precedent. 100 years ago, during the Spanish influenza, most North American cities passed by-laws in terms of mandatory mask wearing, social distancing, and restrictions from gathering in large numbers.

The end result was it saved thousands of lives, and our rights and freedoms were fine. How is walking into a Costco or WalMart in a g-string thong any different? One would likely be kicked out of the business, even though I do not believe there are laws forbidding this. Would one argue that one has the constitutional right to drink a bottle of Vodka, then drive at 160 km/h while texting? Both acts are selfish, and can affect the health and safety of the community.
These aren't the ravings of some wild conspiracy theorist. There are legitimate concerns here that are far broader and more impactful than the hysterical masses are taking into consideration. The use of the term "conspiracy theorist" is a total slander and is intellectually lazy.

We have to be able to have a conversation is what I am saying. What I've observed, to the contrary, is an absence of conversation. People who wish to make reasonable counter arguments are ridiculed and publicly humiliated. People who attempt to exercise essential rights like protest are brought to heel by the long arm of the law. There isn't even the faintest attempt to have a discourse, not a meaningful one anyways.

But please, patronize me further.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 9:46 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
When people say essential, they are talking about continuing to live and pay for things, not the eternal soul. There is no stipulation in the bible that prayers to god must be done in a large group with others. There is also no law saying people can't do that, these are extreme and temporary circumstances. To stretch that this is a serious threat to liberty is just silly.
Well, I thought we were a tolerant bunch here in Canada but my you must be endowed with unique powers indeed to know the faith of these people better than they do. What a talent!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 10:00 PM

Quote:
These aren't the ravings of some wild conspiracy theorist. There are legitimate concerns here that are far broader and more impactful than the hysterical masses are taking into consideration. The use of the term "conspiracy theorist" is a total slander and is intellectually lazy.

We have to be able to have a conversation is what I am saying. What I've observed, to the contrary, is an absence of conversation. People who wish to make reasonable counter arguments are ridiculed and publicly humiliated. People who attempt to exercise essential rights like protest are brought to heel by the long arm of the law. There isn't even the faintest attempt to have a discourse, not a meaningful one anyways.

But please, patronize me further.

We live in a society that has a social contract—you have freedoms, but also responsibilities, and the government can take away some of those freedoms for some of the time if the greater good demands it. Freedoms have been taken away in the past and then returned, in almost exactly the same circumstances (Spanish Flu). Of course we should be on guard to make sure our rights are maintained when the pandemic ends, but there have been absolute no signs that any level of government in Canada even wants to curtail freedom of assembly or activity...I mean, most levels are trying as hard as they can to avoid restrictions, and that is hurting anti-COVID efforts.

The reason we aren't having a conversation about the "trampling" of our rights is because there is nothing to talk about.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 10:08 PM

If a church was on fire at 8:45 am on a Sunday morning and the firefighters blocked parishioners from entering for their normal church service time due to the obvious safety hazard, would anyone consider that an unconscionable attack on the fundamental freedoms of the parishioners? Or would it simply be a reasonable response to protect people during a temporary emergency situation?

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
If a church was on fire at 8:45 am on a Sunday morning and the firefighters blocked parishioners from entering for their normal church service time due to the obvious safety hazard, would anyone consider that an unconscionable attack on the fundamental freedoms of the parishioners? Or would it simply be a reasonable response to protect people during a temporary emergency situation?
I read on facebook that the international banking system is actually run by firefighters. Coincidence? Think about that!

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
By the letter above it seems like the pastors argument is more that if liquor sales and pot sales and big mac sales are deemed essential enough to remain operating, their right to worship certainly should as well. Not so much that their rights to worship should never under any circumstances be denied for the greater good. That's my interpretation of what he was saying anyway.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan