HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
For what it's worth, Ottawa will regret downsizing and hemming in the stadium even more than it already is.
I agree with the hemming in part but not the downsizing. How many places are building bigger stadiums. We have people who are living in a virtual world, socializing in a big crowd is not normal to them. Even before the pandemic, with big screen HD TVs etc, live events were downsizing. Why go freeze your ass when you can have the best seat in the house with your HDTV. I didn't see that as a growth area before the pandemic and see it as even less so now. Less seats (with more services) and party decks are what it is about now.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 5:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
If they are going to downsize the new stand for the stadium at Lansdowne, and jack up the prices, i hope they justify this by having additional suites/club section/loge seats to replace some of the general seating.
I would think that would be the case. as one article stated: The second phase would involve a complete replacement of the north-side stands, with 11,100 seats on two levels (a reduction from the current 14,000), plus two "fan decks" for mingling and field-level "bunker suites," Goudie said.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Winnipeg seems to be butt hurt towards Saskatchewan. Guess they don't like all the jokes about them, or maybe they do?
Take my word for it, no one here is "butt hurt towards Saskatchewan"!

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 3:39 PM
I am the law!

Building a 15,000 seat rink isn't that big of a deal. Any Canadian city with 100,000 people could do it. It's not done because it makes no sense.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Gradually declining attendance at New Mosaic each year.
Because they keep jacking up the prices each year.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
Your tickets are somewhat pricy compared to Winnipeg. Cheapest season ticket I can see in Mosaic is $360 (10 games), and that's just a few endzone sections. By contrast, a good chunk of IG Field is in the $260-$388 range, including upper deck seats right up to the 20.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Take my word for it, no one here is "butt hurt towards Saskatchewan"!
I always thought Winnipeg resident (at the time, ironic that he now lives in Moose Jaw lol) Burton Cummings was casting a little shade to the west in the opening of the live version of Running Back to Saskatoon.
Video Link

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 8:42 PM

Quote:
Your tickets are somewhat pricy compared to Winnipeg. Cheapest season ticket I can see in Mosaic is $360 (10 games), and that's just a few endzone sections. By contrast, a good chunk of IG Field is in the $260-$388 range, including upper deck seats right up to the 20.
Add concessions, etc. It's an expensive night out.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 9:20 PM

Quote:
If they are going to downsize the new stand for the stadium at Lansdowne, and jack up the prices, i hope they justify this by having additional suites/club section/loge seats to replace some of the general seating.
OSEG Landsdowne 2.0 Proposal to the Finance and Economic Development Committee

The design for the new North Stadium Stands aims to provide an improved viewer experience. The design includes a steeper pitch that brings seats closer to the field, and larger and improved concourses, food and beverage amenities, and washrooms. The new North Stadium Stands will also include suites with direct field views, stacked upper-level fan decks and a mid-level club.

With a seating capacity of 11,200 (and overall capacity of 12,000), the North Stadium Stands main concourses are split between two levels, with one level linking to the new elevated east-west public promenade and the club level of the new Event Centre. An updated connection path between the north and south stands will be integrated into the new design and will travel across the edge of the event centre’s live green roof.

The new North Stadium Stands seating is split into upper and lower seating sections and is designed to provide excellent sight lines to the field, similar to the South Stadium Stands. This totally new structure with its many amenities will be integrated with the different elements of the site to allow the North Stadium Stands to improve the fan and guest experience for years to come.

Serving the Event Centre and Stadium administrative needs, an office (which is currently located within the Arena at TD Place) will be located adjacent to the North Stadium Stands.

Phase I – Event Centre: Commencement November 2022, Completion September 2024, Duration 23 months
Phase II – North Stadium Stands, Retail Podium, Parking: Commencement December 2024, Completion North Stadium Stands May 2027, Duration 30 months

Starting with the Event Centre in late 2022 will allow current TD Place events to continue uninterrupted during 2023 and 2024 until it opens in October 2024.

In late 2024, after the Ottawa REDBLACKS season, demolition of the current North Stadium Stands and arena complex will commence. The North Stadium Stands will be unavailable during 2025 and 2026 until they are completed in May 2027. Temporary stands, representing 35% of the current North Stadium Stands capacity, will be utilized for the two seasons during construction. (I believe council is saying this schedule is too ambitious and will be started later - elly)

Last edited by elly63; Apr 29, 2022 at 9:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerSPC View Post
I guess if the increased prices are off-setting the decline in attendance (in specific sections of the stadium) then the club will continue to use this strategy. Long term, it seems to be a poor strategy to replace the older fans who can no longer go to games with younger fans who may have less disposable income. This is a problem mostly leaguewide.

To their credit, the Riders did lower prices to some of the upper deck seats a few years ago, as they were not selling well.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2022, 9:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
I always thought Winnipeg resident (at the time, ironic that he now lives in Moose Jaw lol) Burton Cummings was casting a little shade to the west in the opening of the live version of Running Back to Saskatoon.
Video Link
that's quite funny, I didn't know about that song.

Last year I found a very similar shadey song about a Girl In Saskatoon by Johnny Cash,
btw I do a killer karaoke version of Ring of Fire Preparation H wouldn't sooth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjKMF_WUgqc

sorry i don't know how to display youtube videos in posts on SSP.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2022, 7:13 AM

Ever seen the classic hockey movie Slap Shot? Not the proper video from the movie but a good representation.

Video Link

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 12:04 AM

Maybe it was mentioned here in this thread, but Prince Albert is getting a new arena seating just under 5,000 for their WHL team, an aquatic centre with a wave pool, and 2 additional indoor ice surfaces. According to the article posted construction is supposed to be starting soon (or now?) and will be complete in 2024.

This ensures the Raiders will remain in Prince Albert for decades to come.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/first-p...2024-1.5859660

More details can be found below.

https://www.citypa.ca/en/parks-recre...ed-design.aspx

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Maybe it was mentioned here in this thread, but Prince Albert is getting a new arena seating just under 5,000 for their WHL team, an aquatic centre with a wave pool, and 2 additional indoor ice surfaces. According to the article posted construction is supposed to be starting soon (or now?) and will be complete in 2024.

This ensures the Raiders will remain in Prince Albert for decades to come.

https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/first-p...2024-1.5859660

More details can be found below.

https://www.citypa.ca/en/parks-recre...ed-design.aspx

That’s cool, I just wish Airdrie would build something to house the Flames AHL team now that they are moving to Calgary. Would be nice to have them play here.

Old Posted May 28, 2022, 9:12 PM

That's pretty exciting for PA. Art Hauser Centre has history and character but it is small and old and it's probably time for a new building there. There may be a few new rinks on the way in the WHL East... Winnipeg obviously needs one bad, but Saskatoon is supposedly working on one and Regina may not be too far behind either. Swift Current's barn is probably getting to the point where a replacement might be on the agenda. Even Brandon could be getting to the point where a new rink may be something they consider.

Speaking of Calgary, I kind of figured the Heat AHL team would play in that city, but what does that mean for the Hitmen? Do they have to vacate the Saddledome? And if so, where do they go?

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Winnipeg seems to be butt hurt towards Saskatchewan. Guess they don't like all the jokes about them, or maybe they do?

For what it's worth, Ottawa will regret downsizing and hemming in the stadium even more than it already is.
It's rough being in Winnipeg and having back to back Greycups. We'd definitely be butt hurt over Saskatchewan, cause you know they have so much WIN. Lol.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Speaking of Calgary, I kind of figured the Heat AHL team would play in that city, but what does that mean for the Hitmen? Do they have to vacate the Saddledome? And if so, where do they go?
Since the Stampede Corral was demolished, Calgary doesn't have an arena with a capacity that falls in the middle of the Saddledome and smaller venues like the Ken Bracko Arena and the Father David Bauer Olympic Arena. A new arena in the 7000-10000 capacity range would be ideal for both the AHL team and the Hitmen.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonHiseler View Post
Since the Stampede Corral was demolished, Calgary doesn't have an arena with a capacity that falls in the middle of the Saddledome and smaller venues like the Ken Bracko Arena and the Father David Bauer Olympic Arena. A new arena in the 7000-10000 capacity range would be ideal for both the AHL team and the Hitmen.
I wonder if this is part of the planning for a new Calgary arena. CSEC owning 3 hockey teams and the lacrosse team might give them a little bit stronger business case. 120-140 dates means something I would imagine, even if only a third of them are big dollar NHL games. Of course, this might be asking a bit much of the Calgary sports fan to keep going back to that well. Might be able to add WHL and AHL packages as a value-added thing to the NHL suite and club deals they would sign.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 4:55 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Keep the Saddledome as a secondary venue with less but upgraded seating so that they compliment but don't directly compete. Like the old Long Island Coliseum... Still there but with less but more luxurious seats.

Old Posted May 29, 2022, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Keep the Saddledome as a secondary venue with less but upgraded seating so that they compliment but don't directly compete. Like the old Long Island Coliseum... Still there but with less but more luxurious seats.
Basically the Vancouver model. To me it makes sense to keep the old barn around if it's not fundamentally broken in some way... it may not be up to NHL standards anymore but I mean, it's paid for... surely you could put it to good use somehow?

I would have liked to see the Northlands Coliseum stay around for that very reason.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada