HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jan 3, 2021, 11:32 PM

With self-driving cars, car ownership will be a thing of the past. Need a car? Just use your phone to call one and input your destination. Cars will be always on the road, constantly moving, and so parking lots will be a thing of the past too. Cities will be become much denser, much more walkable, much more urban, I can't wait. The future is really looking bright.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 12:13 AM

I own a car because I like to drive, not necessarily because I absolutely need one. Driverless cars will exists in mass but there will always be ''normal'' cars. What you site as an example is just a replacement for taxis and Uber like service.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
I own a car because I like to drive, not necessarily because I absolutely need one. Driverless cars will exists in mass but there will always be ''normal'' cars. What you site as an example is just a replacement for taxis and Uber like service.
Except it will be a lot cheaper. And, with a company like Apple getting involved, these cars will do far more than transport you from A to B like Uber. We could possibly see a transformation of car to smart car the way we saw the phone turn into the smartphone.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Except it will be a lot cheaper. And, with a company like Apple getting involved, these cars will do far more than transport you from A to B like Uber. We could possibly see a transformation of car to smart car the way we saw the phone turn into the smartphone.
I don't see the advantage of driving a smart car unless it's job related. When I go for a spin I don't want any technology other than the sound system. Cars that will be rented will have mechanical trouble very fast. People will drive them like they stole it, and what about pot holes ? Driverless cars are not trained to avoid pot holes. For me, the real change is going to happen once police cars go driverless, and that involves a lot more technology than there is currently.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
With self-driving cars, car ownership will be a thing of the past. Need a car? Just use your phone to call one and input your destination. Cars will be always on the road, constantly moving, and so parking lots will be a thing of the past too. Cities will be become much denser, much more walkable, much more urban, I can't wait. The future is really looking bright.
that will be in 50-60 years when most or all of us on here will likely be dead or in old folks homes. Cars started out in the 1880's but didn't become THE mode of transportation until the 1920's and 30's this will take massive infrastructure changes to take place costing trillions it wont happen overnight.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 2:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thurmas View Post
that will be in 50-60 years when most or all of us on here will likely be dead or in old folks homes. Cars started out in the 1880's but didn't become THE mode of transportation until the 1920's and 30's this will take massive infrastructure changes to take place costing trillions it wont happen overnight.
What infrastructure? These cars are driving right now on infrastructure we already have.

https://youtu.be/LO3DxyTxdUU

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:45 AM
Community Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaterMontréal View Post
Bingo

I walk, bus/LRT or bike to 90% of my needs but continue to own a car (S2000) because I love driving it when I want to. I usually put about 1000km/yr on it and am not planning on parting with it.

Carshare is available, but these days a simple rental for a weekend is only $25-35/day.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 3:48 AM

I need a car for work but besides that I also need one for my dog unless I want him to stay in the house all day and never go to the dog park.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:01 PM
recession proof

I don't really need a car but after not driving for 25 years I was sick of relying on the TTC, GRT and GO. There's so much more to Ontario than what you see out the window on transit. eg I've always wanted to go to Lucan Ontario after reading about the Black Donnellys so last weekend I finally drove there. It's in the middle of nowhere so you need a car to get there.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:08 PM

Always good to see the boomers chime in on emerging technology.

I love my car, but I'd kick it to the curb if I could travel for less than 50% of the TCO, still getting all the bells and whistles of comfort, luxury, etc.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doady View Post
With self-driving cars, car ownership will be a thing of the past. Need a car? Just use your phone to call one and input your destination.
Sometimes I just want to go for a drive. I don't have a particular destination in mind, I just see what there is to see - it's called exploring. You drive down a road you've never been on, see an interesting vista in the distance, and then take a side road to get closer and have a better look and maybe snap a few photos. I find it relaxing and enjoyable.

Having vehicles that only take you to and from preprogrammed destinations on predetermined routes seems pretty authoritarian and restrictive to me...…….

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssiguy View Post
I need a car for work but besides that I also need one for my dog unless I want him to stay in the house all day and never go to the dog park.
1. If your job is a driving job, you will be at least partially replaced with widespread autonomous cars.

2. Of course there will be pet friendly models that allow you to travel with your dog. Maybe you'd pay a small premium, but this is easily accommodated.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Sometimes I just want to go for a drive. I don't have a particular destination in mind, I just see what there is to see - it's called exploring. You drive down a road you've never been on, see an interesting vista in the distance, and then take a side road to get closer and have a better look and maybe snap a few photos. I find it relaxing and enjoyable.

Having vehicles that only take you to and from preprogrammed destinations on predetermined routes seems pretty authoritarian and restrictive to me...…….
Who says you won't be able to do this? You guys and your "gotcha!" counter examples are hilarious.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:15 PM
recession proof

I love the new Zoox self driving box on wheels but realistically it will be used to transport the urban elite to their tech jobs in dense cities or replace buses in poorly serviced areas like manufacturing areas of suburban Toronto. I doubt I'd be able to summon a Zoox to send me on a random scenic route through Waterloo and Perth Counties - hey Zoox, send me to Yatton Home Baking for some Long Johns, then let's stop by Three Bridges for a picnic. Zoox, hurry the F up I need a cable from Millbank Country Hardware! Oh and can you drive me down that 2km muddy lane to get some summer sausage at Mr Yoders?

Last edited by urbandreamer; Jan 4, 2021 at 5:25 PM.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:21 PM

Quote:

Sometimes I've taken train rides just to explore. And yet I don't own any trains! I can't even drive one!

Also, when I do drive a vehicle, the nanny state already forces me to use predetermined routes, which they use my tax dollars to maintain, incentivising their use. They don't allow me to drive wherever I want! And they force me to undergo government education just to use the vehicle I paid for! And they have the ability to imprison me if I use it wrong! It's so authoritarian and restrictive!

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Who says you won't be able to do this? You guys and your "gotcha!" counter examples are hilarious.
Yeah. It's weird how some people immediately jump to some dystopian authoritarian future. I imagine a Sunday drive will be like sitting in a moving living room telling the car or gesturing to where you want to go. They could even build in a toy steering wheel for adults who feel the need to hold and move something during this tour.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbandreamer View Post
I love the new Zoox self driving box on wheels but realistically it will be used to transport the urban elite to their tech jobs in dense cities or replace buses in poorly serviced areas like manufacturing areas of suburban Toronto. I doubt I'd be able to summon a Zoox to send me on a random scenic route through Waterloo and Perth Counties - hey Zoox, send me to Yatton Home Baking for some Long Johns, then let's stop by Three Bridges for a picnic. Zoox, hurry the F up I need a cable from Millbank Country Hardware! Oh and can you drive me down that 2km muddy lane to get some summer sausage at Mr Yoders?
Why wouldn't it be able to do that? It would grump as much as a taxi driver, or endlessly be yelling into a handsfree phone like the very same drivers do.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
The example given was:

Quote:
Need a car? Just use your phone to call one and input your destination.
This doesn't sound to me like there would be a self driving option. In fact, I'm sure such networked services would actively discourage self driving and exploring for liability reasons. Also, since you are "renting" a networked service, it is in the providing operators interests to conduct the service as economically and efficiently as possible, meaning that it will take you directly to your destination without diversions. That way they could service more customers per hour and increase their profitability.

Efficient, but boring and technocratic. I view it as a significant loss of personal freedom.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 5:50 PM

Quote:
This doesn't sound to me like there would be a self driving option. In fact, I'm sure such networked services would actively discourage self driving and exploring for liability reasons. Also, since you are "renting" a networked service, it is in the providing operators interests to conduct the service as economically and efficiently as possible, meaning that it will take you directly to your destination without diversions. That way they could service more customers per hour and increase their profitability.

Efficient, but boring and technocratic. I view it as a significant loss of personal freedom.
1) The existence of transportation networks doesn't automatically preclude private ownership and "the loss of personal freedom" thereof.

2) Any such network could well provide a "touring" option. Especially during off-peak hours. Why have a vehicle sitting in a depot when somebody wants to pay for a Sunday drive/tour? This entirely comes down to the economic structure/incentive. Keep in mind that any transport network has to be sized for peak demand. Which means substantial free capacity off-peak. They will be plenty incentivized to think of ways to monetize that low demand time.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2021, 6:09 PM

Where I plan to live after retirement, I'll be dead and buried long before they have autonomous vehicles roaming about the area and scaring the horses.

You guys and your fucking utopias.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada