HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 4:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnvisionSaintJohn View Post
Hard to believe we disagree so often, when I agree with basically everything you've said here... especially the bolded parts.

Yet, I'd like to remind you the name of this forum... SKYSCRAPERPAGE.com

You don't seem to be in favour of big, bold policy solutions and incentives to actually get some legit skyscrapers built here in Saint John. Not only should mid rises and high rises be a bigger part of the solution here in Saint John from a supply and demand perspective... taller builds should be part of the solution to make Saint John feel more like an actual city, rather than a small town that happens to be the second or third largest port in Canada depending on the metric used.

It's hard to be optimistic when so many projects that receive all kinds of hype from local politicians, decision makers, and thought leaders are so far from the big, bold solutions and projects we need to fundamentally transform Saint John for the better.

Is it really that hard to attract investors to build skyscrapers here in Canada's "original city", which also happens to be Canada's second or third largest sea port? Or do negative perceptions of tall buildings from the local powers that be and the general populace play a bigger role for the lack of upwards skyline development in Saint John?
Sounds to me like you need to sell your house and move to Toronto so you can get your skyscraper fix before you impload.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley View Post
Sounds to me like you need to sell your house and move to Toronto so you can get your skyscraper fix before you impload.
yeah right. Seriously though, I thought we all supported building more skyscrapers here on skyscraperpage.com

Building up Brunswick square to its 36 storey potential... now that's a start.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 4:59 PM

There's no opposition to tall buildings, of course. Don't know where he's getting that from. He just seems to think Trudeau is going to build affordable skyscrapers in the middle of a working, growing port in 16 months if we get out of his way and let the feds help us. No sense of realism or practicality. Gets offended when people shoot down his random ideas with reason. Probably close to calling us NIMBYs lol.

Should Saint John try to develop the unused parts of the Garrison lands? Yes. Should we develop a medium term plan to do something on Long Wharf and/or Lower Cove? Yes. Should the city/province raise taxes (in a revenue-neutral way) on vacant land in the PDA? Yes.

We aren't Singapore, we don't need to shove housing onto every plot of federal land in the city. There's plenty of Saint John to go around without selling the farm. The housing shortage, while acute, is not related to a shortage of land to build on. It's construction and labour costs combined with population growth, overlaid on a ~50 year period when very little non-SFH housing was built, which is what's really compounding affordability issues.

If not having our heads in the clouds about fantasy projects makes us as grim and negative as CBC commenters to this guy, so be it, I guess. There's plenty of 'we should improve/extend/build [XYZ]' discussion on here, but it's pretty refreshingly grounded, and usually doesn't feature needless partisan sniping. Smythe St lots, Harbour Passage, Long Wharf and Lower Cove, the Millidge Ave corridor, Main St, and more get a lot of constructive discussion... because they're actual, viable concepts that we can chew on. "We need a decommissioned Navy ship in the old privately owned drydock beside the wallboard plant because taxpayers will likely pay for maintenance" isn't.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamuptownsj View Post
There's no opposition to tall buildings, of course. Don't know where he's getting that from. He just seems to think Trudeau is going to build affordable skyscrapers in the middle of a working, growing port in 16 months if we get out of his way and let the feds help us. No sense of realism or practicality. Gets offended when people shoot down his random ideas with reason. Probably close to calling us NIMBYs lol.

Should Saint John try to develop the unused parts of the Garrison lands? Yes. Should we develop a medium term plan to do something on Long Wharf and/or Lower Cove? Yes. Should the city/province raise taxes (in a revenue-neutral way) on vacant land in the PDA? Yes.

We aren't Singapore, we don't need to shove housing onto every plot of federal land in the city. There's plenty of Saint John to go around without selling the farm. The housing shortage, while acute, is not related to a shortage of land to build on. It's construction and labour costs combined with population growth, overlaid on a ~50 year period when very little non-SFH housing was built, which is what's really compounding affordability issues.

If not having our heads in the clouds about fantasy projects makes us as grim and negative as CBC commenters to this guy, so be it, I guess. There's plenty of 'we should improve/extend/build [XYZ]' discussion on here, but it's pretty refreshingly grounded, and usually doesn't feature needless partisan sniping. Smythe St lots, Harbour Passage, Long Wharf and Lower Cove, the Millidge Ave corridor, Main St, and more get a lot of constructive discussion... because they're actual, viable concepts that we can chew on. "We need a decommissioned Navy ship in the old privately owned drydock beside the wallboard plant because taxpayers will likely pay for maintenance" isn't.
^This!

Old Posted Apr 26, 2024, 7:20 PM

Talking

Quote:

Should Saint John try to develop the unused parts of the Garrison lands? Yes. Should we develop a medium term plan to do something on Long Wharf and/or Lower Cove? Yes. Should the city/province raise taxes (in a revenue-neutral way) on vacant land in the PDA? Yes. Should we explore the possibility of building housing at a portion of the former AIM site? Yes. <-FTFY

First off, don't assume my gender. That's really not cool, man. It's 2024!

No opposition to tall buildings in Saint John? Yeah right. I thought you've lived here your whole life? Theres plenty of opposition to tall buildings being built in Saint John, let alone literal skyscrapers. How about the Fort Dufferin proposal that got shut down for NIMBY reasons? You claimed the whole area was eroding away, but had no source to back that claim. Anyways...

I never once suggested only building "affordable skyscrapers" smack dab in the middle of the port (I actually suggested building in the more liminal, less crucial areas) Nor do I expect Trudeau and the federal government to build them all by themselves! I also said condos or apartments, so what the hell do you think condos are... public housing? No, I'm all for a mix of investors being involved in building housing on public lands per Trudeau's plan to open up more federally owned property, including ports, to housing development. If you think I'm offended that we disagree, I'm sorry, but I'm not offended by you, or sailor for shutting down my "random ideas". It's definitely annoying when you try to put words in my mouth and misconstrue what I'm trying to say, but I'm sure as hell not offended by simple disagreements or differences of opinions. About the only time you've come close to offending me is when you made some baseless claim about most bike riders in SJ being homeless, drug addicts, but I still wasn't really offended, I just thought you were being rude, judgemental, and ignorant.

I've not suggested "selling the farm", or that Saint John suddenly become the next Shenzhen, Singapore, or Kuala Lumpur, although we could certainly learn a lot from those cities, even if they are not very comparable demographically... there are some distinct similarities if you think about it, and probably some things we could emulate. (especially their penchant for building interesting, aesthetically pleasing looking skyscrapers)

You tried to blame the entire housing crisis on Trudeau and immigrants in the other thread, but now you're at least being more reasonable by bringing up the previous 50 years. Saint John needs bolder solutions to tackle the housing crisis. Building skyscrapers should be a logical part of that, and the city and province don't have any sort of policies set up to promote the building of taller buildings... the federal government, on the other hand, is at least is trying to promote height and density. What is your guy Higgs doing on that front?

Pardon me for thinking outside the box and throwing some ideas out there on this forum. Why don't you go tell the people in the OKC Legends Tower thread to get their heads out of the cloud and come back down to earth while you're on here? Moreso, I think you need to get out of Saint John sometimes and see more of the world, as it sounds like you've not really seen much outside of the maritimes... I think you'd benefit from some differing perspectives! Just a suggestion.

If you insist on continuing to belittle me and call all my ideas and dreams for Saint John as "unrealistic fantasy projects", that would be unfortunate, but not exactly unexpected based on our previous exchanges.

As for me suggesting "We need a decommissioned Navy ship in the old privately owned drydock beside the wallboard plant because taxpayers will likely pay for maintenance" ("great" paraphrase, btw) that was a slightly tongue in cheek response to Sailor for pointing out that it's "expensive to keep old ships afloat"... although it would still be a better use for the drydock than it's completely unused status at the moment. You just reminded me of an idea I had nearby point of interest, that being the Courtney Bay Breakwater. Talk about a missed opportunity, it could be a place where people go for a scenic walk or bike ride, but as far as I know, it's completely off limits to the public. Perhaps you've been to Dublin before, and heard of the Poolbeg Peninsula which hosts the Port of Dublin? There's a very popular location there called the Great Southern Wall, and it's actually quite similar to the Courtney Bay Breakwater, with a much more impressive lighthouse at the end, the main difference is that it's a popular tourist attraction completely accessible to the public. Here's a pic for reference:

How great would it be if the Courtney Bay Breakwater could be utilized in a similar way one day for Saint Johnners to get out on and enjoy.

But whoops, better get my head out of the clouds, and get to clarify what I suggested regarding the possibility of bringing one of the soon to be decommissioned Halifax class frigate to Saint John. My thinking was that it could be used as Naval training vessel, but I also like the idea of it being a museum ship, which is probably the better, more realistic idea based on responses from posters with far better manners than yourself.

Ships are an intrinsic part of New Brunswick and Saint John history, the New Brunswick flag has a ship on it, and Saint John built thousands upon thousands of ships throughout its history. It's not outrageous to suggest one of the frigates be turned into a museum ship and tied up in Saint John Harbour. How is this not a realistic project for purposes of tourism and preserving our national heritage? Saint John being Canada's oldest incorporated City with a long, important history of shipbuilding make it a logical choice for a future museum ship, especially one of the Halifax-class frigates, many of which were built here in Saint John, and are expected to begin the decommissioning process by the end of the decade, one at a time. I really think we could make it work, and it would become a fixture of the city, something for us all to be proud of as Saint Johnners.

Call me crazy, but the people who are crazy enough to think they can change things are the ones that actually do. We need more big, ambitious solutions to the housing crisis here in Saint John. I at least respect that you care a lot about Saint John and want to see more done to make it a better city, but you don't really seem open to government intervention in building homes. It seems that you care more about what building publicly funded housing developments or homeless shelters in Saint John might cost taxpayers in Alberta, than you do about allowing the federal government to step up and set the lead and invest and intervene where our NB provincial government refuses to. Would I call you a NIMBY? Possibly, you basically are when it comes to the port, and I've also heard you parrot the typical Saint John lines about increased traffic being reasons to shut down certain proposals. But again, I'd say I mostly respect that you do care about Saint John, and want to see it improved, much as I do, even though we seemingly envision much different ideal futures for the city. I've lived all over the world and Canada and I think Saint John is one of the most fascinating cities I've ever lived in, with tremendous history, but also the most squandered potential of any city I've ever lived in. It's sad that when you look to the past, Saint John had a lot more urban density, it had street cars, it had harbour ferries, it had ships to Boston, trains to Montreal, and it was very much the center of New Brunswick. I think we're in full agreement that Saint John has no dearth of available land, and I'm like 10000% in agreement with you about vacant land. The City of Saint John should be devising new strategies to create new suburban developments right up to the borders with Rothesay, Grand Bay, but also towards Lorneville, where private developers have almost a blank canvas to build up the area into a very attractive seaside suburban community with a mix of single family homes some taller apartments and condos to take advantage of the seaside views. When it comes to suburban developments and any sort of "luxury" housing like seaside condos, etc, I think the government should leave that up to the private market.

Where I think we disagree is when it comes to affordable and rental housing: in those cases, I think all levels of government should be doing more to promote height and density within core urban areas through tax incentives, direct subsidies, or even getting directly involved in the process of building and ownership themselves, especially when it comes to federally owned properties. This two pronged approach could see the housing crisis pretty well dealt with within a decade, including some stricter controls on immigration, of course.

I joined this forum because I've always been of the opinion that building some legitimate skyscrapers could and should be part of the solution to not only the housing crunch in Saint John, but our identity crisis. You were the first poster to welcome me to the forum, but also the first poster to ridicule my suggestions for being too unrealistic. You happen to think a high rise at the port on the fringe of the former AIM site would be impossible or ridiculous, while I happen to think the Port could actually utilize such a building in a useful way to enhance their port operations. If there was a mixed use skyscraper to built where the current AIM offices are, the Port could utilize the top few floors for office and operational space, it would give them not only a 360° birds eye view of the West Side's operation, it would be high enough of a vantage point to see all their facilities, on the other side of the harbour, and even right out into Bay. As you said, it could be connected to Marketplace West via an overpass, and it would not have to disrupt port operations, whatsoever. Rather, it could actually enhance the port's operations. Just for fun... perhaps it could look something like this:

Would still love to hear your thoughts on how we can actually attract the investment needed to build some 30-40+ storey buildings built here in Saint John one day. I'm sure you have some great ideas and insight on how to get them built! Surely there's some good ideas to be had in a conversation between a staunch realist like yourself who prefers more grounded ideas, and more of an idealist like myself who prefers to discuss big, buildings in the skyline ideas.

Last edited by EnvisionSaintJohn; Apr 27, 2024 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Added a scaled down John Hancock Building ^ _ ^

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 1:48 PM

Does anyone know what's the status of this project? Is it on hold, or did the city put the kibosh on it?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 2:10 PM

I think it was a series of empty promises from a ghost developer. It’s approved but never going to happen.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 3:13 PM

I notice their website now says

Quote:
"Sorry, we're doing some work on the site. Thank you for being patient.

We are doing some work on the site and will be back shortly".
The url tab now says "The Landmark is under construction".

The website was still up and running not long ago, with the same launch day information about the project. Note that the website is not taken down or shut down, so I'm wondering if this means anything?

https://sjlandmark.com/

Old Posted Apr 27, 2024, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyAm00394 View Post

The website was still up and running not long ago, with the same launch day information about the project. Note that the website is not taken down or shut down, so I'm wondering if this means anything?

Didn’t they have a bunch of video testimonials from local power players like Wayne Long, etc?

I thought the developer for this was from BC, but might have it mixed up with another project.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 1:30 PM

Getting in and out of uptown just got harder. In addition to the slow-motion work resulting in multi year closures on the Harbour Bridge Garden St is now closed until Nov 15. That's going to put a lot of pressure on the Viaduct and the Crown St interchange for people trying to move between the Thruway or the Milldgeville/Hospital/UNBSJ area and Uptown.

https://saintjohn.ca/en/news-and-not...-garden-street

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 2:41 PM

Quote:

I think that's just 'The Landmark' as in the website being under construction. It's never happening. Not dooming but this is the least valid project on anyone's radar in the whole city.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 2:57 PM

Quote:
I think that's just 'The Landmark' as in the website being under construction. It's never happening. Not dooming but this is the least valid project on anyone's radar in the whole city.
Other than the fact the proponents don't seem to be serious people and appear to lack experience or a track record is there anything about the proposal/concept itself that makes it not a valid project?

Is it a poor location? Is the proposed building design not viable? Would the SJ market not absorb 180 units?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 4:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor734 View Post
Other than the fact the proponents don't seem to be serious people and appear to lack experience or a track record is there anything about the proposal/concept itself that makes it not a valid project?

Is it a poor location? Is the proposed building design not viable? Would the SJ market not absorb 180 units?
It's the unserious proponents. They got it rezoned, IIRC, and had a big announcement in spring 2021, but have not said a peep since. Last thing related to the project was an open house almost exactly three years ago. Kind of like the Wilson St project over west.

I'd put these purely speculative projects in a different bucket than stuff like 99 King, Ethos Ridge, etc, which fell apart due to cost increases or other issues. No meat on the bone at all.

The South End could definitely absorb 180 units at this location. Someone needs to benevolently kidnap Lafford from Moncton and drag him down here to develop, like Ricky and Julian kidnapped Alex Lifeson in the Trailer Park Boys.

Of note, they're only paying $12,028 annually in property tax for this lot. So even if they're semi-serious there's no pressure to proceed.

With Sydney south of Broad and the accompanying temporary terminus of Harbour Passage being rebuilt, the area is more appealing than it was in 2021. I'd like to see the trail extend between this lot and the train tracks to the ball fields at the south end of Carmarthen, instead of along Broad as planned, but that's a minor issue.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 4:17 PM

Your point about taxes is a good one. If cities want to push development one way to do that is make it much more expensive to sit on vacant land.

Although, I suppose it's not really the cities but rather Service NB that allows this with absurdly low assessment values on vacant land. A lot just sold in our neighbourhood for over 400K. It's assessed value?....... 37k

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Your point about taxes is a good one. If cities want to push development one way to do that is make it much more expensive to sit on vacant land.

Although, I suppose it's not really the cities but rather Service NB that allows this with absurdly low assessment values on vacant land. A lot just sold in our neighbourhood for over 400K. It's assessed value?....... 37k
100%. Taxes on vacant land in the PDA need to jump. This should of course be revenue-neutral with a reduction on developed residential and commercial. I pay less than $225 a year to sit on two townhouse lots on Harding, and nearly $4,000 for an owner-occupied 4plex. Seems more than a little backwards. a 10x increase would make me want to build immediately, lol. We need to make it harder for the Masseys, Daeres, and Irvings of the world to sit on land indefinitely. Not that they can be blamed; with assessments on vacant land so low they'd be fools to sell.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 5:00 PM

Quote:
I think you missed what I'm trying to say. I know it's the website is under construction not the project itself . I'm saying if they are now updating the website, it must mean something about the project. If it was actually a dead project they would have deleted the website all together. The website was up and running perfectly fine with all the information about the project, (including videos/renderings and a FAQ section), when I last checked a few weeks ago, and now the website is under construction. It's odd to randomly update the development's website now in 2024, wondering if there is significant changes to the project or a scale down or something?

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 5:53 PM

Quote:
I think you missed what I'm trying to say. I know it's the website is under construction not the project itself . I'm saying if they are now updating the website, it must mean something about the project. If it was actually a dead project they would have deleted the website all together. The website was up and running perfectly fine with all the information about the project, (including videos/renderings and a FAQ section), when I last checked a few weeks ago, and now the website is under construction. It's odd to randomly update the development's website now in 2024, wondering if there is significant changes to the project or a scale down or something?
Oh I got what you were trying to say, but my response was unclear. It looks like the site is dead. 'Under construction' is basically a euphemism from the website hosting company for 'they're still paying for their email domain but not the website hosting.' Unlikely they would 'shut down' their website if they were making changes to the building. They'd just kill some pages or put some lorem ipsum on the site. When Fundy Quay was in the planning stages they basically had a landing page, a 'contact us' page, and little else.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 6:39 PM

Quote:

Service NB? This is 100% Higgs that is continuing to allow this. He promised to deliver on comprehensive tax reform, but has dragged his feet on the issue, plugged his ears, and moaned on about transgenderism instead.

If Higgs and the PCs wanted to let municipalities set different, higher rates on vacant land, or let municipalities set higher rates on industry, (without correspondingly increasing everyone’s residential tax rate) he has the power to do that, and there would be something done about it. Do we really even need to speculate why virtually nothing has been done regarding comprehensive property tax reform? It’s painfully obvious.

The pitifully low assessments and low rates on vacant land is antithetical to the region’s development goals, and we need a change, yesterday. With Higgs running for a third term this fall, it’s abundantly clear the only chance in hell Saint John and other cities have at tax reform, (including raising the rates and assessments on vacant land) is to vote Higgs out. Susan Holt has at least made a strong commitment to municipal tax reform. As much as you guys probably don’t want to hear that!

Last edited by EnvisionSaintJohn; May 3, 2024 at 12:25 PM.

Old Posted Apr 29, 2024, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Of note, they're only paying $12,028 annually in property tax for this lot. So even if they're semi-serious there's no pressure to proceed.
That’s not even close to one of the worst examples in Saint John either. There’s an entire parcel of vacant land about half the size of Kennebecasis Park, beside Kennebecasis Park, our region’s most exclusive, upscale suburb, with an assessed value under $100,000 and a tax levy less than $2500.

A large, vacant plot of land with an assessed value of $94,600, with enough room to build an entire subdivision— next to the most expensive and desirable subdivision in the entire region. I guess the expert assessors at SNB don’t believe in the mantra that in real estate, “location is everything”.

The real salt in the wound to Saint John, is that directly beside this parcel of critically undertaxed land, there’s a 1.6 million dollar mansion built ENTIRELY within the city limits of Saint John, but because it’s driveway is in Rothesay, the entire property falls under Rothesay’s tax authority, and Saint John doesn’t get a cent in tax revenue from it.

Makes the Sydney Street property seem fairly taxed by comparison.

The city should be able to jack up rates on vacant land within areas they deem crucial to development, but they are hamstrung by an archaic 1960s era tax code that Higgs and the PCs promised they’d change. A promise they continually refuse to deliver on.

Old Posted Apr 30, 2024, 12:55 AM

I see the tender is now out regarding demolition for the new Central Peninsula K-8 School: https://canada.constructconnect.com/...2-24F69D3C1767 Bid date is May 9th 2024.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces