HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
Regardless of whether or not one thinks that those lands might be well-suited for the new arena, that ship has long ago sailed. The city has been categorical in its preference for a downtown location for the new arena.

In any case, the College Quarter is already a sports precinct and the facilities there will undoubtedly continue to receive widespread use even with a new downtown arena.
Sorry but a 5,000 seat stadium and a 3,000 seat arena don't cut it. This is where a "MAJOR" stadium should be built.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 4:24 AM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalreg View Post
Sorry but a 5,000 seat stadium and a 3,000 seat arena don't cut it. This is where a "MAJOR" stadium should be built.
Thanks for your concern. As I said (and as is common knowledge), the city intends to build a "MAJOR" arena facility downtown to replace Credit Union Centre. I can appreciate that you think College Quarter would be the best place for such a facility but as I said, that ship has sailed and the idea is no longer realistic. Are you suggesting that a larger football field should be located on College Quarter? If so I really don't see the business case behind it. Griffiths is a fine facility and suits the community needs excellently. Let Regina have the "MAJOR" football stadium.

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 5:43 AM

What population do we need to get a football team / stadium? I’d like to say the Uni land is perfect for that, but again - Look at Vegas’ new hockey and football stadiums basically in a space considered their downtown. Why space things out so much if we don’t have to? Let’s have both downtown

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 8:57 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
What population do we need to get a football team / stadium? I’d like to say the Uni land is perfect for that, but again - Look at Vegas’ new hockey and football stadiums basically in a space considered their downtown. Why space things out so much if we don’t have to? Let’s have both downtown
Well we would basically need a CFL franchise in order to justify it, and given the precarious state of the league in the pandemic, and the general local loyalty to the Roughriders, I don't see that happening anytime soon even if we were to wake up tomorrow with 200k more residents. Aside from Griffiths, we also have Gordie Howe bowl which has just seen a round of investment.

Personally, I think if there was to be another sports facility downtown, I would prefer a soccer field with maybe 5-10k seats to start and room for capacity expansion. That would in turn depend on getting a CPL club in place, which seems much more doable than a CFL franchise.

I seem to recall a news article from a few years ago discussing how club proponents wanted to locate such a stadium in the City Yards. I don't think that would be a bad spot, but you would be fighting against the proposed long-term plans for that district as a mixed-use area, though I suppose it wouldn't be too difficult to integrate. Honestly though, having it somewhere in College Quarter wouldn't be so bad either as a secondary option, provided assurances that the Downtown arena will in fact proceed for hockey, basketball and lacrosse. Putting a new arena and another football or soccer stadium together on adjacent plots downtown only seems possible in the City Yards, and I would prefer to see an arena more centrally located (ideally on the Toys R Us lot if it fits).

Griffiths might be able to be re-tooled on game days for soccer matches, but would the artificial turf suffice or would it need to be grass turf? Is Griffiths even big enough to accommodate a soccer pitch?

Old Posted Jan 20, 2021, 10:57 PM

I’m not a huge fan of sports in general but am very excited for Rush games to move downtown. I also hit up a couple Winnipeg Goldeyes game when I lived there downtown - extremely fun just to get together and scream with friends together. downtown has an exciting future - let’s make sure all stadiums are in our already massive - 50% surface parking lot downtown. No half ^%%^ing it on the Uni land outside of downtown!! imo

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phone View Post
The new Statistics Canada population estimates are out as of a few days ago.

The Saskatoon CMA stands at a population of 336,614 as of July 1, 2020. We are closing in on Windsor (the next largest CMA) which is now only about 20k larger than Saskatoon, however any hope of surpassing it anytime soon is moot as the Windsor CMA is slated to absorb the Leamington CA and Essex County for the 2021 Census, adding on about 40k more people.

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/...020003-eng.htm
https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1...pid=1710013501

Actually there will be 73K added to Windsor’s CMA, as both Leamington CA (52,649) and the town of Essex (20,427) are new additions in 2021, bringing the total CMA population of Windsor to 430K. Windsor CMA now includes all of Essex County.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2021, 7:47 PM
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Actually there will be 73K added to Windsor’s CMA, as both Leamington CA (52,649) and the town of Essex (20,427) are new additions in 2021, bringing the total CMA population of Windsor to 430K. Windsor CMA now includes all of Essex County.
That's the thing about cities growing in Ontario vs much of Western Canada. In Ontario, when a city grows, the outlying communities at the edge of being included in a CMA are much larger than they are here. What might we realistically expect to be rolled into the Saskatoon CMA in the next half century? Rosthern, pop 2,000? This is why we will always be facing an uphill battle to keep pace with growth in Ontario and to a lesser extent Quebec.

That said I like Windsor. I've never been there but have made good friends from there and wish it all the success.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:35 PM

Re: Main Street Condo proposal
Article in paper today that said the proposal is proceeding through council process, but noted that there was a lot of opposition to the development by residents on the block of the proposed site.
I am a resident of Varsity View and I am so frustrated with the ongoing opposition to some decent developments looking to increase density. Especially this one, which is on a fairly major street and also proximity to BRT routes.
Looks like the next phase is a public hearing/presentation at a council meeting. I encourage all those on here who support developments like this to send an email to your councilor (Cynthia Block represents Varsity View). I truly believe it often is a minority but vocal group that opposes development. Those of us that support it need to speak up more often!

https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...ite-opposition

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 3:46 PM

I just saw a post about the Online Public Information Meeting last night--anyone attend? It looks like they're really going to make some big changes to the golf course, as well as not have home owners be part of a "condominium", which is interesting to hear that all the current owners are (and will continue to be).

The Willows Concept Plan Amendment

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:23 PM

City Approval

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
Re: Main Street Condo proposal
Article in paper today that said the proposal is proceeding through council process, but noted that there was a lot of opposition to the development by residents on the block of the proposed site.
I am a resident of Varsity View and I am so frustrated with the ongoing opposition to some decent developments looking to increase density. Especially this one, which is on a fairly major street and also proximity to BRT routes.
Looks like the next phase is a public hearing/presentation at a council meeting. I encourage all those on here who support developments like this to send an email to your councilor (Cynthia Block represents Varsity View). I truly believe it often is a minority but vocal group that opposes development. Those of us that support it need to speak up more often!

I agree, the supportive often are the quietest and delay many great projects. Developers must get tired of these opposition groups. I don't live in the area but if city approved rapid transit zoning in that area they have a clear vision of where they want it to grow. It makes sense to develop as planned.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:29 PM

I sat in and listened. I think this is a great evolution of the golf community. They are bringing in an award-winning course designer Carrick and making the golf course way better in phases. Looks like a redesign on the clubhouse as well. Some small commercial for amenities as they are building 600 new homes. Look at greenbrye, all house, no amenities. Good traffic flow with the addition of entrance on lorne. Sounds like a Nordic Spa and small attached boutique wellness hotel as well which would add a lot of value to the city and finally getting one. Great vision for that community and something most cities don't have.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:35 PM

Tourism did a study years ago to see if CFL team was viable. Consultant said yes, but that was back in boom days with lots of corporate sponsorship available. The main components broke down % of rider season ticket holders based on geography. It was interesting as % really was non existent outside regina geography and season ticket holders make up a big part of their overall attendance. They took that model and said if Saskatoon had similar %'s what % would we get from outside geography. We have more population base to pull from Prince Albert, North Battleford, more corporate sponsorship money available and wow what a rivalry that would be between North and south. Don't think we are quite there yet but was interesting to see the fundamentals of possibility. University would be a great fit with the hotels there but a redeisgn of Ramada area would make sense as well or where rapid transport accessibility is close by.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Speaking of making Saskatoon more engaging in winter....
I was pleasantly (and kind of have to admit a bit shocked) to see SO MANY people at Crossmount on the weekend. It is a great set up with skating pond, x-country ski trails, hiking/walking paths, snow shoeing and of course the cider pub.

What struck me was the number of people in -8C weather enjoying cups of hot cider at tables or around fires and hale bales. Some were enjoying a lunch of pizza and cider/beer. So....it made me think if the proper infrastructure where there, we really could do OUTSIDE patios for at least part of the winter downtown...just need some heaters and maybe blankets. It's worth a try.
It is awesome to see. City has a great vision of winter strategy. Needs to keep expanding. It's 1/2 the year and we need to get people off netflix! LOL Nordic Spa would be a nice addition and option for adults.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 5:43 PM

How is our Tesla dealership ramping up in Saskatoon? I trade stocks and the electric vehicle craze is wild. I actually agree with the decision(i own a truck) that EV and hydrogen is good move. Kudos to America for jumping on becoming a global force in these Markets as it will secure their power for quite some time in this car revolution that is happening. Biden is announcing climate executive orders today which will move markets. Buy America, EV electric craze, and all the SPACS(new IPO's) are changing their country.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 7:50 PM

Quote:
[B][B]

Same here, our community association seems to be filled with NIMBYs. It's super frustrating. BlackRock has already completed a similar project ~4 blocks west of this one (Tribeca, on Main Street just east of Clarence Ave) within the past 10 years...I hope this gets approved, it'll add so much to the streetscape along Main Street.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2021, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debratty View Post
How is our Tesla dealership ramping up in Saskatoon?
It just opened!
https://saskatoon.ctvnews.ca/first-t...toon-1.5283753

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 3:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debratty View Post
It is awesome to see. City has a great vision of winter strategy. Needs to keep expanding. It's 1/2 the year and we need to get people off netflix! LOL Nordic Spa would be a nice addition and option for adults.
Welcome to the thread Debratty!!! You are already adding some great insightful posts (of course, my opinion may be skewed bc it looks like we share a lot of the same ideas...lol)

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 6:21 PM

I remember reading and seeing on news a few weeks back that the U of S was going to lobby to be a centre for Vacine Development and Production (I believe in competition with Montreal, Calgary and Vancouver proposals???) They were looking for Municipal and Provincial support. Here is an article, although not the specific one I was looking for:

https://news.usask.ca/articles/resea...c-research.php

However, I just saw on news the other day that an empty warehouse in Calgary has now been identified as a national production centre by another Canadian covid vaccine candidate company.

Does this mean that U of S has lost its opportunity to be the National Centre??? Anyone out there with insight? I know U of S is still constructing a smaller scale production facility in parallel with their vaccine development, but it was my understanding their pursuit be for the "the centre in Canada" went beyond covid.

Thanks for anyone that has any info on this.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2021, 10:23 PM

I don't know about being major but here is what the SP article says

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saska...vido-1.5886554

Old Posted Jan 29, 2021, 5:44 AM
Peddling to progress

I read in both those articles that the U of S would be the centre for pandemic research in a post COVID world. The facility that could manufacture 40 million doses annually would enable vaccines developed at VIDO-InterVac to be manufactured in house rather than being sent abroad. That facility won't be online until next year so hopefully that will be in time for the tail-end of manufacturing COVID-19 vaccines. VIDO has mostly been a research facility but that will no longer be the case.

If Calgary was chosen to manufacture the COVID vaccine by another company I assume that would only last as long as the Coronavirus vaccines are being manufactured and would not impact the forward focused viewpoint of the USask article.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan