HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #6461  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 7:23 PM
Freefall Freefall is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloop.chi View Post
A lot to digest in this post. I don't have access to the article but if the Gov is claiming the casino will bring IL out of the red in two years, then I have a bridge to sell you too.
But you believed the part about there being free night stays in the hotel for Chicago residents? I have a book to sell you on how to read sarcasm on the internet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6462  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 7:25 PM
Mikemak27's Avatar
Mikemak27 Mikemak27 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 245
All five of the West Loop mid/high rise proposals before the Plan Commission were approved today. This has to be salt in the wound to the NoWL (Nimbys of West Loop) organization because they were opposed to all of the projects due to their height and lack of parking. The projects had heights or floor counts of two 9 story residential buildings with 28 units in each, a 10 story building with 22 residential units, a 12 story office building, a 17 story residential building with 322 units alongside a new 5 story office building , and a 240 foot office building.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chicagodpd?lang=en
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6463  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 7:33 PM
Freefall Freefall is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 170
I think people are misinterpreting the Crains Thompson Center story. They're not actually proposing that building. The state is trying to sell off the Thompson center (which they announced a year ago), and they're marketing it as a tear-down (which it probably is). The point of throwing up that rendering is to show a potential developer "Hey, look what we'll allow you to build here". Not that a developer is likely to want to build that high there in the current climate. Since the state is trying to sell the property it won't be up to them what gets built there
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6464  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 7:50 PM
LaSalle.St.Station's Avatar
LaSalle.St.Station LaSalle.St.Station is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 335
residents at block 37 have expressed concerns about their views being impacted and drastic reduction in sunlight by this proposal, not to mention all the added density and traffic this will cause. Brendon O'Reilly is pushing any new development be at least four floors shorter than what is already there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6465  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 8:29 PM
Rocket49 Rocket49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station View Post
residents at block 37 have expressed concerns about their views being impacted and drastic reduction in sunlight by this proposal
Residents in the middle of the Loop are complaining because their views might be impacted by a new building?

Bizarre.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6466  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 8:36 PM
sloop.chi sloop.chi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freefall View Post
But you believed the part about there being free night stays in the hotel for Chicago residents? I have a book to sell you on how to read sarcasm on the internet.
Can you send me the Amazon link? That sure would be great. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6467  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 9:11 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
Residents in the middle of the Loop are complaining because their views might be impacted by a new building?

Bizarre.
That was sarcasm man.
__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6468  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 9:32 PM
Freefall Freefall is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
That was sarcasm man.
Man, my book is gonna sell out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6469  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 9:41 PM
XIII's Avatar
XIII XIII is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
All five of the West Loop mid/high rise proposals before the Plan Commission were approved today. This has to be salt in the wound to the NoWL (Nimbys of West Loop) organization because they were opposed to all of the projects due to their height and lack of parking. The projects had heights or floor counts of two 9 story residential buildings with 28 units in each, a 10 story building with 22 residential units, a 12 story office building, a 17 story residential building with 322 units alongside a new 5 story office building , and a 240 foot office building.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chicagodpd?lang=en
Going to be a lot of children and elderly folks dying of acute shadow poisoning in a couple years. At least the ground they are building on will be fertile with NIMBY tears.

[NO MEMES PLEASE]
__________________
"Chicago would do big things. Any fool could see that." - Ernest Hemingway

Last edited by Tom In Chicago; Jan 19, 2017 at 11:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6470  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 10:32 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is online now
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemak27 View Post
All five of the West Loop mid/high rise proposals before the Plan Commission were approved today. This has to be salt in the wound to the NoWL (Nimbys of West Loop) organization because they were opposed to all of the projects due to their height and lack of parking. The projects had heights or floor counts of two 9 story residential buildings with 28 units in each, a 10 story building with 22 residential units, a 12 story office building, a 17 story residential building with 322 units alongside a new 5 story office building , and a 240 foot office building.

https://mobile.twitter.com/chicagodpd?lang=en
I really love watching West Loop NIMBYs getting squashed by global market forces. It's a reminder that they can't have their cute little quaint haven adjacent to one of the world's greatest commercial centers. Get over it, nice try
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6471  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 11:13 PM
Rocket49 Rocket49 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
That was sarcasm man.
When it comes to the idiocy of NIMBY types, I find practically anything believable.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6472  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 11:42 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,954
Helmut Jahn alternative to the Thompson Center
110-stories
1,340'
Hotel/Residential
C/O Blair Kamin's Facebook page

__________________
titanic1

Last edited by BVictor1; Jan 22, 2017 at 12:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6473  
Old Posted Jan 19, 2017, 11:45 PM
ithakas's Avatar
ithakas ithakas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Whoa. Now that's what I'm talking about! What is this, BVic?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6474  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 12:00 AM
danielschell's Avatar
danielschell danielschell is offline
Chicago picture-taker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 171
625 West Adams

As a newbie, I'm posting this even though I think it might be inappropriate to break the thread/momentum of the Jahn and West Loop posts. Are there rules? I'd post on the dedicated 625 West Adams page, but I can't find one if it exists.

Anyway, here are way more photos of 625 West Adams than anyone needed to see...

http://wp.me/p7uLxw-1Sf





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6475  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 12:05 AM
Chris Stritzel's Avatar
Chris Stritzel Chris Stritzel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Helmut Jahn alternative to the Thompson Center
110-stories
C/O Blair Kamin's Facebook page

Was this the original proposal for the Thompson Center or more Recent? Sorry I am asking this, I am not from Chicago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6476  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 12:11 AM
KWILLSKYLINE's Avatar
KWILLSKYLINE KWILLSKYLINE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago
Posts: 625
Thats sexy. A little Bank of China-ish in Hong-Kong.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6477  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 12:38 AM
Chris Stritzel's Avatar
Chris Stritzel Chris Stritzel is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: St. Louis
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post


Per Crains: 1,700-foot tower proposed for Thompson Center site. Demo begins in Feb. Foundation to be complete by end of 2017. To include a Casino which is estimated to bring Illinois out of the red within 2 years, Observation deck, top 40 floors budget hotel, free nightly stays to Chicago residents. Not a pipe dream at all. Can't wait to see this baby rise!
I highly doubt the Thompson Center will be demolished beginning in February. And a Casino? That's Interesting, its not in the story. Plus, I hardly believe that Chicago Residents would get a free nights stay at the hotel. Plus, The Story does not say anything about that. Although, I would like to remain optimistic since this would be a great addition to the Skyline of Chicago.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6478  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 12:40 AM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 14,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielschell View Post
As a newbie, I'm posting this even though I think it might be inappropriate to break the thread/momentum of the Jahn and West Loop posts. Are there rules? I'd post on the dedicated 625 West Adams page, but I can't find one if it exists.

Anyway, here are way more photos of 625 West Adams than anyone needed to see...

...

...
Few projects have a dedicated page, 13 stories and up go here, lesser structures in General Developments.

Nobody ever complains when a discussion is interrupted by photos, and these are some nice shots, from a unique angle.
__________________
Harry C - Urbanize Chicago- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6479  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 12:40 AM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Stritzel View Post
I highly doubt the Thompson Center will be demolished beginning in February. And a Casino? That's Interesting. Plus, I hardly believe that Chicago Residents would get a free nights stay at the hotel. Plus, The Story does not say anything about that.
You're new and will have to learn when we're being sarcastic smart-asses with our posts

There's no Feb. demo plan or casino proposal.
__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #6480  
Old Posted Jan 20, 2017, 1:03 AM
danielschell's Avatar
danielschell danielschell is offline
Chicago picture-taker
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Few projects have a dedicated page, 13 stories and up go here, lesser structures in General Developments.

Nobody ever complains when a discussion is interrupted by photos, and these are some nice shots, from a unique angle.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:07 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.